1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

First, let me say that I love that people take the time to to share their love for pinball and their creativity. I would much rather have 10 pinball podcasts then zero.

Having said that, I think there is a under served market for shorter podcasts. Most if not all that are being produced right now are 60–120 minutes long. I’d love to see a weekly 5-10 minute news podcast. Just give me the latest news and gossip.

Anyone else feel the same way? There is room for both short and long

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from andrewket:

d love to see a weekly 5-10 minute news podcast. Just give me the latest news and gossip.

Have you checked out This Week In Pinball's website? Not a podcast but a great place for latest news and gossip that you can get through in 5-10 minutes.

I think podcast sweet spot is 60 minutes or so. K does a good job staying in this timeframe. I've seen other podcasts go 2 hours or so, and that is way too long IMO.

#3 1 year ago

Your commute is too short.

#4 1 year ago

I prefer the TFP format of 3 plus hours of pinball anything and everything.

TWIP is where I go for what you are speaking of.

#5 1 year ago

I love the broken token format myself!!

Although it should come out weekly.

#6 1 year ago

2 hours is perfect. I drive a hour each way to work

#7 1 year ago

The only short-form pinball podcast I'm aware of is Pinball Profile (does interviews mostly focused on the competitive scene). But even that tends to be more in the 10-20 minute range.

I think the reason you don't see podcasts covering just pinball news is it isn't a good creative outlet. News reporting should be about objectively providing information. The enjoyment in putting together a podcast (in my view) stems from discussing opinion. That undermines the objectivity desired from a news show (since opinion is in play) and also undermines the ability to have a short format (it's hard to say much of substance when the time is aggressively limited). Given the written sources available (This Week in Pinball and Pinball Supernova being two that stand out to me), there is also the risk of just repeating what already exists.

Now, if you could have something like investigative journalism, that could be a new angle. But the way the game is played right now, since this hobby is so small, is your podcast either gets the inside scoop on everything and gets stuck under NDA (so you know everything and can say nothing) or you stay out of the industry contacts and get to speculate (but they also tend not to give you anything unique to work with). Coupled with how tight-knit the hobby is, it's hard to ask people who are doing a hobby for fun (which is the entire point) to do this.

Just some thoughts. My own opinion, long and short I like both formats. I have no issue being unable to finish an episode in one sitting, and to me five hours of content in a week is the same workload be it as five episodes or one. Podcast catching software is designed to make the experience pretty easy, and that's how I choose to consume.

#8 1 year ago

chuckwurt has a great format with his SDTMPinball that's part talk/news in the early segment, then a live interactive video/tutorial for a featured game. Good variety with newer releases like Dialed In! a few months ago, and classics like Gottlieb Genie on his last one. I can do that for an hour.

#9 1 year ago

nothing wrong with long ones - prefer them myself, just hit pause and come back to it the next trip / day etc

#10 1 year ago

Everyone discusses the news. The thing that different sites podcasts is the reactions to them, and what else they do besides the news

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Pinball Profile

I might not be important enough or a good enough player for Jeff to ever interview me, but I have played in a tournament with him! Was not a pretty day for him, unfortunately..I legitimately felt bad, I've had plenty of those. =|

#12 1 year ago

I can listen for hours at work but I can spend the time on my phone messing with 5-10 minute podcasts. I prefer 1-2 hours.

#13 1 year ago

Just listen to them at 2x speed. It’s what I do for all of them. Works great!

#14 1 year ago

Don't care about length. Don't care for gossip / inside scoop. Don't enjoy single sided monologues or opinion pieces. Don't want to hear soap box opinions of the podcaster or humble bragging to prove they're an insider.

Get me a podcast where someone interviews people in the industry about any old thing past, present, or future, and I'll be hooked. Eg Mark Maron, This American Life. Multiple points of view, and constructive talk. A broadcast that connects the audience with the real culture and history and strengthens it all.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Just listen to them at 2x speed. It’s what I do for all of them. Works great!

Oh my god. My wife does this, it's annoying AF..

I'd *literally* rather die than listen to hours and hours of Chipmunks on Science.

#16 1 year ago

Most podcasts are WAY too long and WAY too infrequent.

Two half-hour podcasts each week > One 2-hour podcast every week

#17 1 year ago

No one is getting paid to make these podcasts. You have to remember that!
    I think the more content the better! Everyone likes something different.
    If you think there is a market for a 10 minute podcast when start one up, there isn't a big barrier to start doing it.

I would love to make 3 x 30 minute podcasts a week every time something happens. The reality is that there is editing, there is recording, if there is more than 1 person you have to schedule it in, etc.
    I listen to most podcasts at 1 to 1.8x speed depending on how long my trip is that day or how slow/fast the person talks.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

“I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”

― Mark Twain

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from daudioguy:

“I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.”
    ― Mark Twain

Bam! There it is.
    Shorter = More thought has gone into it, which in turn requires time!

There is a Mark Twain quote for almost everything.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Don't care about length. Don't care for gossip / inside scoop. Don't enjoy single sided monologues or opinion pieces. Don't want to hear soap box opinions of the podcaster or humble bragging to prove they're an insider.
    Get me a podcast where someone interviews people in the industry about any old thing past, present, or future, and I'll be hooked. Eg Mark Maron, This American Life. Multiple points of view, and constructive talk. A broadcast that connects the audience with the real culture and history and strengthens it all.

Listen to the original TopCast shows by clay. The production quality is low as they were just winging it... but it did what you asked for.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Listen to the original TopCast shows by clay. The production quality is low as they were just winging it... but it did what you asked for.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll check into those.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Oh my god. My wife does this, it's annoying AF..
    I'd *literally* rather die than listen to hours and hours of Chipmunks on Science.

Once I started o couldn’t go back. You get so use to it. Listening at regular speed now seems like everyone is drawing out there words nice and slow. L e t s. T a l k. A b o u t. S t e r n. N e x t.

#23 1 year ago

If you think you can do better...produce one yourself. Otherwise STFU or don't listen. Period...

#24 1 year ago

Sdtm and K are my two favorites - thankful for those guys just as they are.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I might not be important enough or a good enough player for Jeff to ever interview me, but I have played in a tournament with him! Was not a pretty day for him, unfortunately..I legitimately felt bad, I've had plenty of those. =|

I'm not sure of Jeff's selection system, actually. But, looking back at my list of podcasts, it's the only one that sort of meets the OP's criteria (not perfectly since it isn't a news show, but they are brief and well produced!).

Quoted from flynnibus:

Seconding this. In my view no podcast has ever equaled TopCast on the quality, breadth, or depth of interviewing as they achieved. In my view it is the gold standard.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

I think the more content the better! Everyone likes something different.
    If you think there is a market for a 10 minute podcast when start one up, there isn't a big barrier to start doing it.
    I would love to make 3 x 30 minute podcasts a week every time something happens. The reality is that there is editing, there is recording, if there is more than 1 person you have to schedule it in, etc.
    I listen to most podcasts at 1 to 1.8x speed depending on how long my trip is that day or how slow/fast the person talks.

I just started listening to your podcast since getting the Eric Menuer (sp?) interview. You guys are doing great. Don't change a thing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside