New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109704)

PMD - ACDC SmartDMD

By PinballMikeD

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

SmartDMD provides color pallets with up to 16 different colors. Plus, you can create multiple pallets

How often can you change pallets? Every separate DMD animation?

You should start finding volunteers to colorize titles like colorDMD does.

#58 6 years ago

Anyone know the comparison of colorDMD to this as far as the palette? I'd assume both are equal, but it's sounding like maybe smart DMD is superior if it can have 16 colors, and a different palette for each frame? That opens up to a much richer color display for various scenes (not forced to use certain colors because a scene needs lots of blues), unless colorDMD has the capability as well?

3 weeks later
#92 5 years ago

I like this project, another take on how to colorize DMD.. and since it runs on an LCD you don't get the pixelation from DMD or the weird boxes from the vishay displays.

Also with competition, projects like this will keep colorDMD in check (not that they need to at the moment, but every monopoly has the opportunity to do so).

1 month later
#206 5 years ago

In exchange for your time and effort, I’ll pay you $25 for every unit we sell of said title. For example, let’s say you chose to colorize Tron and PMD sells 200 SmartDMDs for that title. Then I’ll pay you $5,000 for your work. Actually, I think 200 units is a conservative number for that title, so it could be quite lucrative for you. It would cetainly pay better than posting on Pinside all day.

FYI – this offer goes to anyone that wants to join the PMD team

DAM! someone could potentially earn a NIB Stern for colorizing a game, now that's incentive!
What's the process to color dots again?

Also referring those 8 missing dots, I'm assuming that's just bad code? Because it doesn't always happen. This screenshot shows those dots filled:
no_missing_dots_smartdmd.jpg

#263 5 years ago

Also, we'll be starting a tutorial thread soon where folks can share their SmartDMD colorization tips and tricks

that would be helpful. I went ahead and donated so I could unlock pinballbrowser (swappable pallettes), I can see how colorizing (correctly) could be a challenge (especially anything that's video like CSI). It's a shame there's no algorithm like when they colorize old b&W movies.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame

Well, the fact that ColorDMD has patented this process
http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week27/OG/html/1404-2/US08773452-20140708.html

Means that Smart DMD is likely to remain as an open source kit rather than a commercially bought easy install kit, unless SmartDMD is doing something different enough to not infringe. Also it sounds like perhaps ColorDMD only modifies the pallette index (without changing the actual code). Does that mean that ColorDMD allows for code updates without affecting all the work put into colorizing, and SmartDMD doesn't? (unless someone wants to go through the task of downloading the latest rom, and manually importing all the artwork in frame by frame).

None-the-less, I'm grateful for Oliver creating pinballbrowser, it has already allowed many users to modify sounds (or dots if they desire). It's certainly a neat tool to play around.

1 week later
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

See here for more details

So dots fixed and upscaling, how can you lose with this?

1 month later
#459 5 years ago

SmartAudio is still being developed. That is why I haven't added any links on the website. The premise is simple though. It's an audio system that will allow users to replace sounds and songs with uncompressed high quality audio files (no time or file size limits)

So this is separate from SmartDMD I assume since the pinballbrowser already allows you to do this with Stern code? Is this going to be similar to pinsound, and if so what platforms?
http://www.pinsound.org

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside