34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm pleased to announce that PMD and Oga83 have partnered on a new venture - "SmartDMD." This is a colorized LCD kit package that will replace traditional dot matrix displays in modern SAM Stern Pinball machines.

Please contact me directly for purchasing questions.

SmartDMD kits will retail for $199 + shipping and will include the following items:

(1) Raspberry Pi B+
(2) Preprogrammed 8GB micro SD card
(3) Custom SmartDMD Interface board
(4) Professional ¼” laser cut black acrylic mounting hardware
(5) Licensed copy of Pinball Browser software
(6) Professional quality power wiring harness
(7) Complete colorized ACDC code

You must purchase your own LCD and driver board:

(1) 15.6” Full HD LG/Philips compatable color LCD display

ebay.com link: itm

(2) LCD driver board with HDMI source input

ebay.com link: itm

Here's a look at what SmartDMD can do:

#2 9 years ago

Questions/Answers:

(1) Do you have a manual for this product?

We are currently working on an installation manual for this MOD. It will contain detailed instructions and high resolution pictures illustrating every step of the installation process. An electronic copy of the manual will be included with the MOD. In addition, screen shots of the manual will be posted in this thread.

(2) Is the MOD reversible and can the hardware be moved from one game to another.

Yes, the MOD is 100% reversible, so it can be moved from game to game if desired.

(3) How do I know which kit to order?

When ordering a kit it is important to order the right one. PMD SDMD Kits will be offered in two styles: traditional speaker panel and angled speaker panel. Newer games like ST, Mustang, and TWD use the angled speaker panel. Older games like SM, Tron, and Avengers use the traditional speaker panel. Also, make sure you don’t order the Prem/LE kit if you own a pro or vice versa.

(4) What will happen when I install this MOD if I’ve already altered my game’s BIN file using Pinball Browser?

For a PMD “pre-colorized” SDMD kit to function correctly, you must patch a stock BIN file with our custom color file. After upgrading a BIN file, adding the SDMD colorization, Pinball Browser will no longer be able to access the frames via the Display tab. Don’t worry, you can still make audio adjustments and tweak song names. However, these changes must be made after the colorization patch is installed.

(5) Do I need Pinball Browser to install this MOD?

No… The MOD will be provided with a mico SD card containing a custom utility program (Patcher.exe) used to modify stock BIN files. The patching process is extremely simple and only takes a few seconds to execute. It will take you longer to download the BIN file from Stern’s website Don’t worry; this will be covered in detail in the installation manual. FYI – I’ve tested Patcher.exe on the following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What makes SDMD so powerful are all the features built into Pinball Browser. So, yes you can install this MOD without PB, but you won’t be able to customize your DMD: change the dot shape/size, adjust the color palettes settings, override the upscaling parameters, etc.

(6) Do I need a PC to install a PMD SDMD kit?

No… You can use a Mac running OS X with bspatch. More info here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/bspatch.1.html

(7) Will this MOD work with my ACDC Interactive LCD Concert MOD?

Yes, the serial communication patch is included in our color file. However, both MODs were designed to pull power from the same circuit in the pinball machine. To properly power both MODs simultaneously you’ll need our PS MOD. This insures we don’t tax the games 12 and 5 VDC circuits. I’ll post some pictures of this later this evening.

#3 9 years ago

Here's a copy of the Installation Manual:

1.png1.png
2.png2.png
3.png3.png
4.png4.png
5.png5.png
6.png6.png
7.png7.png
8.png8.png
9.png9.png
10.png10.png
11.png11.png
12.png12.png
13.png13.png
14.png14.png
15.png15.png
16.png16.png
17.png17.png
18.png18.png
19.png19.png
20.png20.png
21.png21.png
22.png22.png
23.png23.png
22.png22.png
23.png23.png
24.png24.png
25.png25.png
26.png26.png
27.png27.png
28.png28.png
29.png29.png
30.png30.png
31.png31.png
32.png32.png
33.png33.png
34.png34.png
35.png35.png

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What does colorized mean? Palette swaps? Hand colored? Are you distributing colorization macros? Presumably not modified ROMs.

Our release strategy is multi-staged.

For starters we will simply be providing a hardware package that will work in conjunction with Oga's SmartDMD software. This will included the following: LCD screen, driver board, RPi, game interface board, power cables, a licensed copy of PB software, and all the hardware/cabling needed to install the MOD. Everything in one clean package.

With that said, Barb (the artist responsible for most of the artwork featured on our CFTBL LCD MOD) is currently working on the colorization of several specific game titles.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Is this going to be four colors where the user selects the colors?
When it hits the market, will it be useful for all SAM games or will it be dependent on a game-by-game release of game specific software?

SmartDMD provides color pallets with up to 16 different colors. Plus, you can create multiple pallets, so the possibles are endless.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Sweet...any idea of price?

We have a target price in mind. It will be more cost friendly compared to other alternative systems.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Will SM be one of the titles that you plan to be working on sooner rather than later?

SM is in the works, but for a different MOD. Something more ambitious.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How often can you change pallets? Every separate DMD animation?
You should start finding volunteers to colorize titles like colorDMD does.

There is a limit to the number of color pallets you can use, but I haven't reached it yet (I believe it is 32). Yes, you can define a separate pallet for each frame, so you aren't limited to just 16 colors for the whole game - just 16 colors per frame.

We have reached out to several individuals, so that's in the works.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Any chance you can step up the display quality so it has a nice black level? I like ColorDMD but the grey glow of the blacks make it look a bit washed.

Possibly, but this is an inherent issue with LCD technology in general.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

cool product Mike, well done.
Is it a custom dmd lcd in size or regular shape larger in height lcd

It will use a 15" LCD monitor

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Awesome! I was just thinking about ordering a Smart DMD thing. Love that there will be a package. Quick question: is it possible to do a LCD screen on the DMD and also an smaller apron LCD?

Not sure, haven't tried that yet.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from splitskull:

so what's the price of the kit?

I'll have an answer to this question in a few more weeks. At this point all I can say is that it will be significantly less than $400 for the base system.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Very interested. How does this product differ from ColorDMD?

"SmartDMD" is a feature within Pinball Browser; it's a software package that allows pinheads to customize their DMD animations. It can be as simple as a single color display (like a Blue Tron DMD or Green Avengers DMD) or as elaborate as a completely custom colorized display (like the animations featured in the promo video). The "SmartDMD LCD Kit" is a hardware/software package that gives people a professional finished system to install in their Stern SAM games. Where you go from their is limited only by your own imagination.

With that said, we understand that many guys will just want to purchase a per-colorized kit out of the box. This will of course be an option as well, but it all depends on what games we (or others) want to colorize. Like the CFTBL and ACDC LCD MODs, we wanted to create a MOD that can be modded

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Colordmd works with Williams and stern, looking at the frames of dots as the signal goes by to decide how to apply color.
Smartdmd can display Williams (and others I think) and assign simple colors to the brightness levels. With stern it can use color data stored in the rom via pinball browser to do full color display.
/crude description ends here

Not Bad

1 week later
#65 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Right after ColorDMD starts doing Sterns.

Purely a coincidence, this project has been in the works for quite some time. Actually, the SmartDMD software for Stern displays has been around for over a year already. We are tweaking the software (adding some new features, etc.) and pairing it with a hardware package.

2 weeks later
#67 9 years ago
Quoted from splitskull:

so what's the price of the kit?

The base kit will retail for $300 + shipping.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Will the colored rom cost extra if you buy a kit?

Yes, game specific dot packages will be sold for an additional $30 per title. Please keep in mind that this money is allocated for our team of dedicated artist. Unfortunately, I can’t convince any of them to work for free

Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Any chance you can step up the display quality so it has a nice black level? I like ColorDMD but the grey glow of the blacks make it look a bit washed.

Yes, the black levels are impressive (see original post for hardware details)

Quoted from stretch2:

Interesting until the actual price is released.....

Disappointed yet

Quoted from toyotaboy:

You should start finding volunteers to colorize titles like colorDMD does.

We are willing to pony up the money for those that are interested in working with us. Drop me a line.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I think the $70 difference was comparing it to ColorDMD and saying SmartDMD would be $70 less. In that case, no, you don't have to color it yourself, AND you can change games at no extra cost. Here, you would have to pay another $30.
Compared to the DIY solution, I'm not sure what the cost difference is, but it's really the same hardware, it's just that you're buying the pieces yourself. With the SmartDMD kit that work is done for you. I might be missing it somewhere, but can DIY'ers buy color data from SmartDMD or would they have to buy the kit to use your color data?

Yes, our custom dot packages will only run on our licensed hardware.
The SmartDMD kit is comparable in price to other DIY solutions. The difference is that:

1) We source all the parts for our customers, so they don’t have to go through the hassle of buying parts from multiple vendors.

2) We provide a professionally engineered/designed laser cut acrylic mounting solution (PCB panels, LED screen holders, etc.). So, our customers don’t have to fabricate their own mounting parts.

3) We provide custom cabling, so everything is plug-and-play. All you need to install our MOD is a Phillips head screw driver and a ¼” nut driver.

4) We pre-assemble the hardware prior to shipping, so this saves our customers time when installing the kit.

5) We pre-program the SD cards prior to shipping.

6) We include a licensed copy of the “SmartDMD” colorization software, so customers don’t have to purchase Pinball Browser separately.

In summary, we wanted to make a convenient (all in one) and cost competitive DIY kit that’s easy to install, 100% reversible and 100% customizable. The nice thing is that our DIY kit will also support full color dot packages as well.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

So how long does it take to color a game?

This depends on what level of colorization you want.

You can easily configure a base kit to run as a red, green, purple, blue, etc. DMD display (red for example - a stock DMD):

Screenshot (116).pngScreenshot (116).png

Just use the drop down menu and you're done:

Screenshot (117)-302.pngScreenshot (117)-302.png

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

So how long does it take to color a game?

Another easy thing to use is the gradient tool; this allows you to setup a default pallet and easily simulate a uniform multi-color display. For example, you could do the following (black, white, gray, and 13 shades of red for every frame):

Screenshot (118).pngScreenshot (118).png
Screenshot (119).pngScreenshot (119).png

It’s amazing what just adding the color white to your pallet will do. Looks much better than a stock DMD right?

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I understand that but how much colorization could I expect for the $30? I watched your vid and I would DEFENETLY buy it if I got that kind of color for $30

Yes, the promo video is an example of what you'd get for a full color kit.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

I def want to buy one when does it come out ? I'm big fan of drpinball dmd extender and love my set up.

We should have some beta units out for testing by late January or early Febuary 2015.

For those interested in purchasing a kit please email me directly at [email protected]. I'll touch base (prior to making kits available to the public) once they are ready.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

$300+$20 shipping+$30 colored title=$350.

I’m perplexed as to why you are so disappointed SmartDMD is the most affordable full color DMD option for Stern SAM machines. You've posted the same comment 3 times now, what is your point? If it makes you feel better, we’re prepared to charge you $400 since you seem to feel better about that price tag. Have a great weekend.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Bummer. 250 would've been a lot harder to pass up. 300..not so much.

No worries.

1 week later
#100 9 years ago

Here are some prototype pictures of the harware installed:

P1.pngP1.png
P2.pngP2.png
P3.pngP3.png

Here's the finished product:

F1.pngF1.png
F2.pngF2.png

All hardware panels/parts are 1/4" laser cut black acrylic. Looks better in person

We should have some beta units ready in early January.

#106 9 years ago

ACDC is almost done

Colorization pictures can be viewed in the original post. Enjoy......

Here are a few more pictures for fun as well:

Screenshot (23).pngScreenshot (23).png Screenshot (24).pngScreenshot (24).png Screenshot (25).pngScreenshot (25).png Screenshot (26).pngScreenshot (26).png Screenshot (27).pngScreenshot (27).png
1 week later
#108 9 years ago

Getting closer every day.

Happy New Year

24.png24.png 25.png25.png 26.png26.png 27.png27.png 28.png28.png 29.png29.png 30.png30.png 31.png31.png 32.png32.png 33.png33.png
#116 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

When is the anticipated release date, if known?

I'm in the process of buying all the parts needed to fabricate the MODs. The ACDC code is pretty much done. I just have to clean some minor stuff up and then it will be off to the next title, don't ask - because I'm not sure yet

The MODs will be available for sale directly though my website. So, I need to get my store page updated as well. Too much to do and never enough time.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is like a race to see which will get the cash.

I sure wish pinball modding actually generated large sums of cash

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We're not racing. It will be available early spring. It will be worth the wait. And it will be awesome.

Good for you.

By the way, make sure to post that you guys are working on Avengers as well. Here's the link to that thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-avengers-full-color-smartdmd-coming-soon

Hope you guys have a stellar 2015.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Now that competition appears to be "coming soon", it may be in your interest to announce which games will be colorized ahead of time to subdue some of the buying of the alternative product.

Ok, here is a list of the games we'll be providing full color kits for:

1) The Walking Dead
2) Mustang
3) Star Trek
4) ACDC
5) X-Men
6) The Rolling Stones
7) Transformers
8 ) Tron
9) Iron Man
10) Metallica
11) Avatar
12) Big Buck Hunter
13) NBA
14) 24
15) Shrek
16) CSI
17) Indiana Jones
18) Spiderman
19) Wheel of Fortune
20) Family Guy
21) Avengers
22) Pirates of the Caribbean
23) Batman Dark Knight

They'll all be worth the wait. And they'll all be AWSOME. Oh yeah, and they'll all only be $330 bucks per kit.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Will this mod work with my AC/DC LCD mod as well.

Both are powered the same way (at J11), so you'd need at alternate power source for the SmartDMD. Don't worry, this is also in the works as well as a new audio system MOD we're developing.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Any approximate dates you're willing to share?

As quickly as we can - it's a race right

ACDC and Avenger shouldn't be much longer - maybe a month.

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Question: if ACDC gets a new update with more DOTS added will you update the color roms?
I know it is a dumb question but had to ask it.

Yes.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Any chance of TSPP ???

White star games are in the works, but we still have some work to do there. I wouldn't rule out doing all of them as well - including LOTR

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Dynamic text would behave the same if you had edited it or not. whatever it is that smartdmd does with it.

This is correct.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

Wheel of Fortune, csi?? no love for TSPP

We are targeting SAM machines first.

Although I may have some personal incentive to colorize Simpsons

TSPP.pngTSPP.png

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

For those of us that have LCD + pi + licensed pinball browser/smart DMD software, will there be a way to buy the dot package? I'm interested in the game specific packages too but I already have 2 lots of hardware installed in two of my Sterns. For the few of us that have this, I'm guessing we'd be happy to pay $50 for the coloured dots

Sorry, not at this time.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Will you have a retail site to order from

Pinballmiked.com

They'll be added to the "store" page.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The thought of all the Stern SAM games being colored is amazing - even oddball titles like Stones!?! Awesome !!!!

It's funny, I think most collectors start out as BW snobs (I know I did anyway), but after a few years you end up running though all the A list titles. Then you're left looking for something new. I have to say, over the last 2 years I've come full circle on Stern machines. Now I'd rather own a Stern game than anything else.

Anyway, we'll do every SAM game regardless of what our completion does - even if only one person buys a color kit for The Rolling Stones. Everyone on my team is first and foremost a hobbyist. Making money is nice, but we do what we do because we love Pinball.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Stop the press!
When can we see this "smart audio system" and 24" back glass display?
I want!!!

We're shooting for the 2nd half of this year. The ACDC LCD MOD may happen sooner.

1 week later
#180 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So a question:
It seems like any time there's a full screen color (anything not black) the upper left 8 pixels are missing.
I'm thinking the number 8 is probably a clue, does SmartDMD store some kind of palette info in the address for those pixels? Is that how it's going to look for the final release?
See the upper left missing blue on the train for example:

smartdmd-acdc.jpg 128 KB

What you see is what you get.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Sorry if I missed this, but are these going to work on W/B games? If so, will the profile fit in a CV? That is one game BEGGING for color that ColorDMD is just not able to accommodate.

PMD kits are designed for Stern machines only. We have a lot of other projects in the works, so I'm not sure when/if we’ll ever get to the B/W DMDs.

#196 9 years ago

Oh my ulcer.. Those 8 dots are making me feel.....

well, like this:

Screenshot (378).pngScreenshot (378).png

#205 9 years ago

Aurich,

I appreciate your constructive criticism. I’m sure your buddies at ColorDMD do as well.

If you are truly interested in making SmartDMD a better product, I’d like to propose the following:

I’d be happy to provide you, at cost, the necessary hardware and software needed to colorize a Stern SAM game of your choice. In exchange for your time and effort, I’ll pay you $25 for every unit we sell of said title. For example, let’s say you chose to colorize Tron and PMD sells 200 SmartDMDs for that title. Then I’ll pay you $5,000 for your work. Actually, I think 200 units is a conservative number for that title, so it could be quite lucrative for you. It would cetainly pay better than posting on Pinside all day.

FYI – this offer goes to anyone that wants to join the PMD team. We'll take all the help we can get

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Call me crazy but:
Colorized DMD >>>>>>>>> top left 8 dots missing
It's not like it's in the middle of the screen or something. My wallet is still ready for Avengers.

Quoted from Arcade:

While the missing dots will bother me, the product is so cool that it will not stop a purchase.Hopefully it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Thanks for the support. You guys make colorizing dots until one in the morning worth the effort. I appreciate your positivity, so I’m going to pay it forward. I’ll personally make sure you guys get the first available SmartDMDs (just specify the title) when we go to market. Oh and I’ll wave the $30 colorization fee, so you’ll get yours for $300.

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

DAM! someone could potentially earn a NIB Stern for colorizing a game, now that's incentive!What's the process to color dots again?

Believe it or not pinball is a hobby for me and everyone else at PMD. We all have jobs outside of pinball – makes it easier to pay the bills Most of us work 50 to 60+ hours a week or more. Hell, Rusty lives out of a suitcase traveling all over the US from one job to the next. Bottom line, we’d all starve if we relied on pinball MODs to feed our families. As long as I can pay Uncle Sam his 30% then I’m happy, makes this a self-sustaining hobby at least. I take my profit and reinvest them it my hobby. This is how we can afford to engineer and design new MODs like CFTBL, ACDC, Smart Audio, etc.

Anyway, here’s what you need to colorize a game:

1) PC running either windows 7 or 8
2) Licensed copy of Pinball Browser (I’ll get you a free licensed version of the software)

To test your colorization on an actual pinball machine you’d need the following:

1) RPi B+ with 8 GB micro SD card
2) Our interface board
3) 15” LG laptop LCD screen and driver board

Or you can colorize a game I own and I’ll test everything for you, so zero investment on your part. FYI – I have a SM ready to go. I was planning on doing it after Metallica, but I can always do a different title next.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

a smartdmd Looks always better then this ugly led Display from Stern
already the smartdmd with only 1 Palette and no individual game Framesis 100 x better then the original one
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Yup, and our base kits are only $300. Or, you can build your own (for a few buck less).

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also referring those 8 missing dots, I'm assuming that's just bad code? Because it doesn't always happen. This screenshot shows those dots filled:

no_missing_dots_smartdmd.jpg 33 KB

It depends on how you approach the colorization process. I made a decision that those 8 dots in the upper left corner of the screen where not as important (too me anyway) as the rest of the dots on the screen. So, I can re-colorize ACDC or I can continue colorizing Metallica. Right now I’m enjoying Metallica

If the 8 dots make or break it for some folks, I understand.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, Aurich has made it clear that he speaks to the ColorDMD guys and sees them at leagues, etc. That said, he hasn't exposed some super-secret flaw in a combative manner. You weren't just hoping it would never be mentioned, were you? If you don't fix this, your customers will notice it, and they will ask you about it. We pinheads, especially the ones that would buy a colorized DMD, are a picky group.

First of all, I don’t see a huge flaw here.

Secondly, how am I hiding anything; I posted an actual video of the game in action? If you don’t like it, that’s cool – seriously, nothing personal. I certainly want all my customers to be happy with their purchases. Again, if that makes or breaks it for you I understand.

#222 9 years ago

WhiteStar systems are in the works. FYI - TSPP is one of my personal favorites. It’s the only machine I’ve ever bought twice (other than ACDC).

Quoted from daveispinball:

Mike - Sucks about the pixels, but I'm going to one up all these nay-sayers and offer to prepay mine right now. Awesome... and forget all this crap about pricing. When did capitalism become a bad thing? Make some money... see what the market will bear. Genius offer to anyone that wants to make $25/sale. How many hours do you estimate it takes to (1) learn the software and then (2) color it? Take your Tron example... I think 400 sounds more like it. What is the per hour labor cost for $10,000?
Serious... prepay ready. Tell me what to do and put me at the top of the list! Thanks for doing your side job.

I don’t like to prepay for stuff, so I won’t ask other people to.

I’ll post when they’re ready. As long as people buy them we’ll continue to make more (and other MODs). The 25$ per MOD has always been our policy. Depending on the level of coloration it can take hours to fully colorize a game. I’m colorizing a few titles myself, so I know the level of commitment required. Bottom line, it’s work and that’s why I’m willing to pay accordingly. Besides, why would I ask someone to work their butt off just for me to make all the money, not much incentive there.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Color on MET is gunna be sick!

Here's a look at Metallica:

1.png1.png2.png2.png3.png3.png4-586.png4-586.png5.png5.png6.png6.png7.png7.png8.png8.png9.png9.png10.png10.png11.png11.png12.png12.png13.png13.png14.png14.png15.png15.png16.png16.png

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

ACDC Pro?... (says the weird kid eating paste in the corner)

We'll have to test the color file on a pro, maybe some minor rework - no worries though. We'll make it happen.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Will have to see one in person colorized and animated to know if the eight dots are critical or not, and it might even depend on the specific game, but the attitude around this already is rubbing me the wrong way. Love the implication that Aurich is here trolling on CDMD's behalf, just for asking a legitimate reason why 8 dots are missing. Stay classy.

I appreciate the lesson in "class", but I'm not the guy hijacking my competitor's thread in order to advertise my product.

1.png1.png

I have no doubt I’ll get a few “thumbs down” votes for pointing out the fact that my own thread was hijacked by a competitor. Ironically, the guy that actually did the threadjacking will get nothing but “thumbs up” votes – it’s kind of funny when you think about it

Anyway, what I find really interesting isn’t CDMD’s attempt to dissuade people from buying an ACDC SmartDMD; it’s the people that gave them a thumbs up for do it (take a look at that). I think it’s safe to assume those folks probably aren’t too interested in buying a SmartDMD in the first place. As consumers we’re all entitled to spend our money how we want. CDMD makes a great product, so I understand if some folks choose to buy their system instead of ours.

With that said, why would any of those people bother to post in this thread? What do they have to gain; it isn’t like they’re going to purchase a SmartDMD right? I just find it odd that somebody would post a ton of questions (or even a link to CDMD’s IJ product – which looks great by the way; kudos to the artists that worked on that one) in a SmartDMD thread when it’s pretty obvious that individual isn’t really interested in buying a SmartDMD.

As far as your implication that I lack “class”, well you’re entitled to your own opinion. Obviously, I think differently. I sincerely wish you nothing but the best and hope you have a great day. When you’re ready to buy a SmartDMD we’ll be here.

Almost forgot - I’m happy to announce that we now have four more dot artist on the PMD team. They’ve graciously offered to dedicate their time in the efforts to colorize Xmen, Transformers, and Star Trek. Thanks for the help – you guys know how you are

Let's all try and enjoy pinball. At least we all share that passion.

#247 9 years ago

Yes, PinSide is a communal forum and people can post (or not post) whatever they want as long as they follow the moderators guide lines. That seems reasonable to me.

#251 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mike, no one signed up to do Avatar? How would Smart DMD work when only 2/3 of the dmd is actual animations and the score is on the other 1/3? Also a few animations actually go full screen over the score part with the score still showing. I'd really like to get one for my LE.

No one has signed up to do Avatar yet. FYI - I've reviewed your resume and you're qualified Seriously, Oga and I are available for tech support any time you need it.

Coloring the score is simple. The SmartDMD pallet configurator tool is setup with 16 color options per pallet (0 through 15). All of the text displayed on the DMD uses whatever color is assigned to #15 of the active pallet. So, if you want blue text for Avatar you just assign a blue color to #15 in your pallets. Also, it’s worth noting that the pallet configurations reside on the RPi’s SD card, so these can be modified independently from the game.

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shit, I didn't realize that either! Time to go question my whole existence.
(For the record I'm not anyone's mouthpiece, and no one tells me how to post. Back to lurking in this thread now I think.)

Rich,

Feel free to PM me your number and I'll give you a call. I'm sure with a quick phone conversation we can reach an accord. I'd like to apologize if I misinterpreted any of your posts. I just assumed you had ulterior motives when I saw you posting a link to CDMD's IJ product here and then giving CDMD a "thumbs up" for advertising their ACDC product in my thread. I'm sure you can understand how I might find that peculiar. Anyway, I harbor no ill will towards you and wish you nothing but the best. I think you're a talented guy with a keen artistic eye, which is why I offered you a chance to partner up on a SmartDMD project. Anyway, I'm sure if we had a chance to hang out, drink a few beers, and play some pinball we'd get along just fine

Best wishes,

Mike

#261 9 years ago

Back to business.

Here's a sneak peak of XMen:

magneto multiball (large sprite colored).jpgmagneto multiball (large sprite colored).jpg

I'll post some video footage of Avengers later this week. Also, we'll be starting a tutorial thread soon where folks can share their SmartDMD colorization tips and tricks. Hopefully this will be a great source of information for the people considering a colorization project for PMD. Lastly, we can now add POTC to the list of games actively being worked on

#271 9 years ago

For folks truly interested in purchasing a SmartDMD (or colorizing a game for PMD) feel free to email me directly at [email protected]. FYI - This email address will also work for a C&D

I'm going to refocus my energy and double my efforts on PMD products - SmartDMD first and foremost. I'll post again once units are ready to ship. Time to get back to work

#275 9 years ago

Dear Randy,

I’ve talked with Oga and we are both in agreement. If ColorDMD and SmartDMD can’t coexist in this “cutthroat world of aftermarket pinball modding” then we’ll give our color packages away for free – this would be our gift to the pinball community. We partnered up on this project because we are likeminded pinball hobbyist and we share the same vision. If we can make a few bucks along the way in order to fund our pinball addiction - great. If we can’t, well that doesn’t change our vision.

We can either play nicely together or we’ll colorize every SAM machine for free. I’ll let you decide what PMD does moving forward. Here’s a tip – the more negative you (or your supporters) get the more I’m motivated to colorize SAM machines for free. I like money, but I value my principals more. Again, this is a hobby for us, so we have absolutely nothing to lose. Can you say the same? Maybe you should focus your time and energy on your own product, making it the best it can be instead of worrying about what we’re doing. Maybe a little completion is just what you need to step up your game. Personally, I welcome the challenge. I’m not going to out “race” you, I’m simply going to hunker down and out work you. If you’re worried about SmartDMD now, you haven’t seen anything yet. Game on…..

PS - I hope you guys have a great 2015. I'm pretty PMD will.

Regards,

Mike

#301 9 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

ColorDMD is nothing but a money grab company, they are scared of competition so people won't keep happily overpaying for their overpriced product.
SmartDMD to the rescue of the pinball community!

I appreciate the support, but lets try and keep things positive. ColorDMD isn't the evil empire They make a great product.

I'm pretty sure the pinball community can support both DMD products, like the way it supports multiple pinball manufactures.

#317 9 years ago

Please understand we now have to “play our cards closer to the vest.” Hopefully everyone will understand why. Rest assured that all questions will be answered prior our product release. In regards to the 8 pixels, this is being addressed. We are actively working on implementing improvements, both recommendations made here as well as things not yet discussed. Stay tuned.

#322 9 years ago

No you will not be stuck; I'll make sure our stuff works with the latest game code.

#342 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Mike - three weeks ago you listed 23 games you would be supporting in the future. Is there a schedule for the order the games will be released in?
Excited to see what you do with SM and TF. I don't envy you having to colorize those movie clips, I imagine that will be a nightmare. I hope it turns out well and after years we can finally see what the hell is going on in them.

I honestly don’t know how long it will take to colorize all the SAM machines. It depends on how much help I get along the way. I can say this, as of today there are 9 different PMD SmartDMD projects that are actively being developed, so that's a good start

#343 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Seems like there is a whole lot of the screen that is blocked from view by the speaker panel. Maybe the pixels will get hidden out of sight?

Hi John,

It's a moot point, as the problem (for lack of a better word) has been resolved. Now when a non-black background is displayed, or when color is assigned to the first 8 pixels, we'll show colorized dots on all 4096 pixels instead of just the last 4088

This modification will be a configurable setting in the next release of PB as well as some more significant improvements yet to be revealed. We have decided to delay the release of ACDC specifically to include these enhancements, which will be unique to SmartDMD.

I'll post more on this later

Mike

#348 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For future reference, the term is "moot".

Spel check doesn't allways work. I need grammer check two

Yes, my parents are retired college English professors - guess that's why I'm good at math....

#352 9 years ago

Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag

Here’s a quick sample video of the new upscaling feature in action:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qTOv5qw_mP4?autoplay=1&rel=0

I’ve tweaked a few animations (changes not reflected in the video above), so we’ll release another promo video for ACDC soon. As always, with any PMD MOD or Restoration, what you see advertised in our videos is what you’ll get.

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I can't wait to see a X-MEN video.
BTW, is it the Pro or the LE that is being worked on?

I've been informed that the screens are the same for both, so the MOD should work with either version of the game.

2 weeks later
#362 9 years ago

Update 2/17/15:

To better support existing SmartDMD users, we have decided to offer our color files independently from our kits. Regardless of whether you purchase a PMD kit or decide to build your own SmartDMD system, you’ll have access to all of our color files.

Here are the current pricing options:

Base Kit – this is the DIY kit where you colorize your own game ($300)
Game Specific Kit – this is a turnkey pre-colorized kit like ACDC ($330)
Game Specific Color File - $50

The PMD web store has been updated to include all of our upcoming SmartDMD kits. To purchase a kit please go here:

http://pinballmiked.com/?page_id=320

We are working on setting up a distribution network in Europe to help minimize shipping costs and provide better support for international customers.

ACDC is almost done

We’re finishing up the last few frames and working on several new upscaling features, including the ability to assign different color modes (standard dots, 2x, 16x, and more) directly to color palettes.

I’ll post when kits are ready to go.

#364 9 years ago

Just finished up the dots this morning. I'll get some video shot and loaded this weekend. ACDC Kit assembly will start next week, so the wait is almost over

The first batch of MODs will be going out to our dedicated dot artists; thanks for embarking on this adventure with me. Also, if you are an existing PMD customer and you are interested in purchasing an ACDC SmartDMD, please shoot me an email (I'm terrible with PinSide PMs) and you'll get your MOD before they are made available at the website.

Thanks to all the folks that supported this effort. Your positive energy and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to remember you guys moving forward. One good deed deserves another

#368 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

How easy is it to install these vs the other un named version.

I'll probably do an install video similar to the ones I made for CFTBL.

IMO the install is very easy. However, if you are computer challenged then you might need some help with Pinball Browser.

#371 9 years ago

Finished Product:

#374 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Pinball browser?? No , plug and play or I'm out. Thanks though

No worries.

I wouldn't recommend PMD products for everyone.

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Mike,
I haven't read the entire thread...do I need a PC to configure/install this? As you know, I'm a Mac guy.
Looks AWESOME! btw...whose playing guitar on the video you made?
snaroff

The guitarist is Pierre Gerwig Langer.

All SmartDMDs are built on Pinball Browser. I believe you can run PB on a MAC using Parallels:

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/windows-on-mac/?utm_nooverride=1&src=b

However, this is really a question for Oga. Luckily I have 3 computers (soon it will be 4 once I pull the trigger on a Mac Pro), so I get the best of both worlds

In general, all PMD MODs (Creature, ACDC Concert MOD, SmartDMD, SmartAudio, etc.) utilize windows based software. PB is the backbone for our upcoming LCD backglass kits as well.

Also, it's worth noting that the ACDC SmartDMD will only work when the pinball machine is set to "Free Play" mode.

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, you never answered my question from earlier, so asking again. Do I have it right? Thanks!

Why would you move an ACDC SmartDMD kit over to a Metallica and then re-install it in ACDC?

Quoted from judremy:

Curious as to why free play only?

For legal reasons.

#391 9 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

@Mike
how will you define mix mode mode
so that some scenes will be upscaled and others not ?!?
i thought this could only be a global setting for all ??
thx
tom

The "mixed mode" feature (this is called "Override" in PB 4.36) is really cool. It gives you the ability to independently pick between 4 different color presentations (standard dots, 2x, 16x, and anti-aliasing) for each individual palette. Based on how the game is colorized this can be a very powerful tool for customizing the display. Some dots look better in 2x while others look better in 16x. Personally, I prefer ACDC in standard dots, but it's cool that you have the ability to decide what works best for you.

Keep in mind that PB is continuously changing and always improving, so many more features will come with time.

Quoted from Aurich:

So just curious how that would work since you announced the pricing for "switching" a display to a new game.

We received numerous requests from existing SmartDMD users, asking for the opportunity to purchase our color files independently from our kits. These are the guys that built their own SmartDMD systems. They are the original beta testers that helped make Pinball Browser what it is today. It didn't seem right to make them buy hardware they already owned. This is the reason we decided to sell the color files independently.

Anyway, I now understand your question. Yes, if you buy an ACDC SmartDMD kit and move it to another game you can always move it back. I've always sold my pins with the MODs included, so that is a new concept for me.

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

You don't need Pinball Browser at all to install the mod !

Sorry, I was referring to the palette adjustment and override features (click on the pictures to zoom in for detail):

Palette Color Adjustments:
Screenshot (609).pngScreenshot (609).png

Upscaling Override:
Screenshot (610).pngScreenshot (610).png

Dot Size Control:
Screenshot (611).pngScreenshot (611).png

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I bought the ac dc LCD kit. It seems there is a bit of delay between when a song is picked and the animations. Is there a fix and are there any delays in the smart dmd displaying the appropriate info.
I'd love to fix that delay issue. Any opinions on how or why it's delayed

The most obvious delay (the one seen when exiting the jukebox mode) will be fixed with a free update very soon. Rusty is working on that, when he isn't living out of his suitcase. However, there will always be a slight delay due the serial communications.

SmartDMD has no delay issue as it's not using the serial port on the MPU.

#401 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

Just curious what this means, will any delay be eliminated with the update? will there be any delay in the songs and animations for Metallica? Thanks (mostly curious what the differences in interface is with this and colordmd)

SmartDMD doesn't have a delay. Hank527 was asking about an update for the ACDC Dancing Band LCD MOD - different product altogether.

#407 9 years ago

I’ve received many questions via email; hope this answers everyone’s questions:

(1) Do you have a manual for this product?

We are currently working on an installation manual for this MOD. It will contain detailed instructions and high resolution pictures illustrating every step of the installation process. An electronic copy of the manual will be included with the MOD. In addition, screen shots of the manual will be posted in this thread.

(2) Is the MOD reversible and can the hardware be moved from one game to another.

Yes, the MOD is 100% reversible, so it can be moved from game to game if desired.

(3) How do I know which kit to order?

When ordering a kit it is important to order the right one. PMD SDMD Kits will be offered in two styles: traditional speaker panel and angled speaker panel. Newer games like ST, Mustang, and TWD use the angled speaker panel. Older games like SM, Tron, and Avengers use the traditional speaker panel. Also, make sure you don’t order the Prem/LE kit if you own a pro or vice versa.

(4) What will happen when I install this MOD if I’ve already altered my game’s BIN file using Pinball Browser?

For a PMD “pre-colorized” SDMD kit to function correctly, you must patch a stock BIN file with our custom color file. After upgrading a BIN file, adding the SDMD colorization, Pinball Browser will no longer be able to access the frames via the Display tab. Don’t worry, you can still make audio adjustments and tweak song names. However, these changes must be made after the colorization patch is installed.

(5) Do I need Pinball Browser to install this MOD?

No… The MOD will be provided with a mico SD card containing a custom utility program (Patcher.exe) used to modify stock BIN files. The patching process is extremely simple and only takes a few seconds to execute. It will take you longer to download the BIN file from Stern’s website Don’t worry; this will be covered in detail in the installation manual. FYI – I’ve tested Patcher.exe on the following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What makes SDMD so powerful are all the features built into Pinball Browser. So, yes you can install this MOD without PB, but you won’t be able to customize your DMD: change the dot shape/size, adjust the color palettes settings, override the upscaling parameters, etc.

(6) Do I need a PC to install a PMD SDMD kit?

No… You can use a Mac running OS X with bspatch. More info here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/bspatch.1.html

(7) Will this MOD work with my ACDC Interactive LCD Concert MOD?

Yes, the serial communication patch is included in our color file. However, both MODs were designed to pull power from the same circuit in the pinball machine. To properly power both MODs simultaneously you’ll need our PS MOD. This insures we don’t tax the games 12 and 5 VDC circuits. I’ll post some pictures of this later this evening.

FYI - all future questions will be answered in the second post of this thread.

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike, maybe you already know this, but there are two styles of mounting on the new angled speaker panels, they changed it after Mustang I think, so might want to be sure you're testing your fit for both.

Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know. I'm building mine based off of my MET Pro. Hey, what would Stern be without a million versions of the same game

#418 9 years ago

For folks that also have the ACDC Interactive Concert LCD MOD, here's a pic of the Power Supply MOD you'll need:

PS MOD1.pngPS MOD1.png
PS MOD2.pngPS MOD2.png

Both MODs in action:

LCDs.pngLCDs.png

Again, this is needed to prevent overloading the game's 5 and 12VDC circuits. Plus, it's needed for the upcoming SmartAudio MOD.

For the folks that requested pics of the SDMD hardware, here you go:

SDMD2.pngSDMD2.png
SDMD3.pngSDMD3.png

The logo is laser engraved (same graphite pattern as the one used for the Concert MOD). If you look closely you can see a row of CFTBL MODs on the workbench reflected in the 1/4" black mirrored acrylic panel
SDMD1.pngSDMD1.png

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

Just a heads up, Australian delivered machines are shipped without a service port

Yes, so are the European machines. We'll have to workout a different solution for folks overseas, otherwise they'll only be able to install one LCD MOD or the other.

#426 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

That Concert LCD Mod looks great.

So do those TSPP dots

#433 9 years ago

I'm working on the installation manual, should have it done this weekend.

Anyway, I've started posting it on the first page of the this thread (3rd post). If you're an insomniac it might help

#438 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Which is a better product ? Any preference

I’m kind of partial to mine

#441 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Agreed, and discussion should probably not happen on either this thread or the competitor thread. A new thread would be best.
LOL

No worries, I only want people to buy my product if they really want it. The last thing I want is disappointed customers (that goes for MODs and restorations).

I think it all comes down to what you (the consumer) want.

Do you want the ability to assign upscaling directly at the palette level? Do you want to have the ability to adjust individual palette colors? Do you want the ability to add our LCD Concert MOD to your ACDC? Do you want the ability to add our upcoming SmartAudio system to your ACDC? Do you want to save $70?

To be clear, I don’t have an issue with CDMD products or the people that like them. I’ve always said, “They make a great product.” You’ll never see me say otherwise. You’ll never see me hijack a CDMD thread to promote my own. In fact, I’ve even defended my competitor’s integrity in my own product thread – crazy right?

Maybe, I actually do this for more than just the money

#448 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Just want to confirm something from earlier in this thread - will this work ONLY in Free Play Mode? If so, why, and what happens when you switch it to coin op? Thanks!

We decided not to force that limitation, so no worries. It will work either way.

#449 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The service port in ACDC is on all the time, even when the game is off. I'm using it to power my amps, and I have to unplug them whenever I shut the game off. Does it matter that the PMD mods are continuously powered? Or do you have another cutoff somewhere?

The ACDC MODs are only powered up when the game is actually powered up. This will be ture for the SmartAudio system as well.

#450 9 years ago

So will the LCD concert mod only work with a Stern or your color DMD?Won't work with CDMD?

It might work with the first generation units, but it won't on any future run.

#452 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

It might work with the first generation units, but it won't on any future run.

Let me expand on my previous answer:

(1) I wouldn't try powering the Concert LCD MOD in conjunction with ANY colorized DMD powered off of the game's 5/12V circuit. You will overload the game and ultimately cause damage to your pinball machine's electronics. Keep in mind that Stern doesn't design their games for aftermarket pinball MODs. This is why we have a PS MOD to accommodate our LCD Concert MOD.

(2) Part of the upgraded software package we are working on for the LCD Concert MOD will enable it to interact with our upcoming SmartAudio system. This will require program modifications to the game's BIN file that our SmartDMD's are designed to handle.

Our MOD's are designed specifically to work in tandem.

#455 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

How much addition cost will be associated with the addition ps mod? Considering $500 for the LCD and $330.- + ship for the color DMD, I am curious!

If you purchase an ACDC SmartDMD, I'll throw in the PS MOD for free. This goes for any customers that have already bought the LCD concert MOD. However, you'll still need to purchase a 5v and 12v adapter for the RPi and LCD driver boards (I'll provide you part #s and links to what is needed). The good new is that you have the first component of a SmartAudio system for free

Keep in mind the PS MOD is only for US machines at the moment.

#456 9 years ago

The complete installation manual is here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon#post-2044806

Nothing worse than technical writing - glad that's over.

#458 9 years ago

SmartAudio is still being developed. That is why I haven't added any links on the website. The premise is simple though. It's an audio system that will allow users to replace sounds and songs with uncompressed high quality audio files (no time or file size restriction associated with PB). Like SmartDMD, it's designed with customization in mind, so you can play whatever you want. The hardware will include everything you need to upgrade your game's sound system as well (power amp, etc.).

#460 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So this is separate from SmartDMD I assume since the pinballbrowser already allows you to do this with Stern code? Is this going to be similar to pinsound, and if so what platforms?
http://www.pinsound.org

My entire collection (minus WOZ and Fathom) is comprised of Stern machines. All of our MODs will be focused on SAM machines, at first anyway.

#463 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If you can provide high fidelity stereo music to my AC/DC, you will be my hero forever!

We aim to please

What's a PS mod? Also why would the 1st gen LCD concert mod work with another color DMD but not 2nd gen LCD concert mod?

When the next update for the concert MOD is released (which will be free - like all our MOD updates) the software will be tweaked for a variety of new products coming down the pipe. This will require some significant changes to the game's source code. Updating the MOD will move it to 2nd GEN status. Remember, we aren't' just DMD guys. We are working on a product platform to support audio, DMDs, interactive LCDs, lighting upgrades, etc. Worse case scenario you move your CDMD to a different game.

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Hey MikeD -
I'm not meaning to put you on the spot, so feel free to pass on answering this question:
I'm intrigued by adding a colorized DMD to my AC/DC...and both your product and the product offered by ColorDMD look good.
I guess what I'm wondering is: What's the primary differences between your DMD product and the product being released by colorDMD?

For starter, how about the price point, nothing like saving a few bucks right

SmartDMD, like all of the other PMD products, is highly customizable. Here are some specifics:

Dot shape/size – Each dot is built using 64 pixels in an 8x8 array. You have the ability to turn each pixel on or off, so you can customize the shape of your pixels. You can make them squares, checkerboards, diamonds, circles, X’s, smiley faces, or what every you want.

Color palettes – SmartDMD utilizes “color palettes” to assign colors to each frame in the BIN file. Each palette can be configured with up to 16 unique colors (here the options are endless). Then each frame in an animation can have its own unique color palette.

I’m a perfectionist, which means I’m never really satisfied with anything I do. Sounds terrible right? Well, the good news for PMD customers is that I never stop tinkering and trying to improve my products. So, for ACDC we’re working on creating a color palette for every unique animation (where it makes since anyway). I can’t guarantee we’ll get them all, but we’ll push the software to the absolute limit.

Ok, so what does that mean?

Imagine having the ability to independently customize the dot colors for every animation used in the game? Maybe you want to make all the flames blue to match your BIB LE cabinet art. Maybe you want to make the sky purple for all the Warmachine animations. Maybe you want to make Angus have dark red skin like the devil. You get the idea. SmartDMD can do this with a few simple mouse clicks. You don't have to redraw anything - think paint by numbers.

Upscaling – SmartDMD offers 3 different types of Upscaling (2x, 16x, and Anti-aliasing). FYI, we are working on more Upscaling options as well. Remember, Pinball Browser is always improving, so the features/capabilities will only grow with time and any software updates will ALWAYS be free. Anyway, the problem with upscaling is that algorithms always to the same thing no matter what. Computers can't think like people and they don't have preferences. The end result is that some animations look great in 16x while some animations just look like crap. That is why we give you the ability to assign upscaling directly to a color palette. You get to decide what you want, so SDMD isn't a "one size fits all" solution. Once we’re done, you’ll have the ability to assign standard dots, 2x, 16x or Anti-aliasing upscaling to specific animations as you see fit.

Another important thing to remember is that PMD isn’t just a DMD company. We are a pinball modding company that happens to do restoration work as well. FYI - we are currently working on 5 different MODs for ACDC (colorized DMD, custom audio system, lighting effects system, and 2 different interactive LCD systems). Our MODs are all designed to work in conjunction with each other. All 5 ACDC MODs require modifications to the game’s software. We have one master version of the game code, in which we unlock features based on which products you’ve purchase. I can’t guarantee our MODs will play nicely with other people’s products. I can guarantee you that our MODs will play nicely with each other.

I hope this answers your question.

I'll post some pics this evening showing how the palette colors can drastically change/customize your DMDs appearance.

#477 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I am looking forward to the Metallica release on both platforms. The one thing I am liking about yours is the color pallette option. Ex... my Sparky is green would be cool if he was green on the DMD as well Sounds like you are saying this wont take me long at all!?
At the end of the day if your colorization work is as good as CDMD then I being a techy kinda guy am liking the customization options. Would be really cool if someone could post some comparisons of similar frames.
By the way not trying to make this a competitive thing but fact is I will have 2 choices!

You’ll get an “out of the box” product (the current promo video shows that). With that said, I’ve recruited the help of some other guys to assist in tweaking certain sequences, so it will only get better. The key is to optimize the palette usage in order to maximize the customization capabilities. I understand customers want a finished product, but it doesn’t hurt to give people the ability to tweak the colors and yes it’s pretty simple to modify colors.

It’s funny I just had a conversation the other day about custom colored Sparky’s

#480 9 years ago

Well, I know I've mentioned the palette adjustment feature several times now, but I think a picture demonstration might help clear things up.

As I mentioned before, I'm going back and adjusting how the palette colors are used in each key animated sequence. This gives you the ability to adjust your colors as shown below:

Angus Palette.pngAngus Palette.png

You just pick your colors and presto:

Angus #1.pngAngus #1.png
Angus #2.pngAngus #2.png
Angus #3.pngAngus #3.png
Angus #4.pngAngus #4.png
Angus #5.pngAngus #5.png
Angus #6.pngAngus #6.png

Pretty powerful right? I like the Back-In-Black blue flames

This is what SDMD is all about.

To clarify, adjusting the palette colors addresses every frame in the sequence. Eventually, I'll provide a color map for all the animations as well; this way you know what colors are used for specific objects in each sequence.

#484 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Man I really like this feature !
Can you post a few HQ photos of some frames in ACDC? I think some of what's out there may not be doing your product justice.

I love competition it just motivates me to make a better product.

Screenshot (671).pngScreenshot (671).png

#489 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I think you mean competition But I like completion as well, like game code
That looks much better !

Damn spel chek quit working again.... Oh, wait that's grammar check

#491 9 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

How will you inform us about updates ?? Newsletter ??

I'll talk to my website guy and see what it take to get that setup. In the meantime I'll post when updates are available.

#492 9 years ago

I’ve decided to make my ACDC LE color file free to anyone that wants it (regardless of whether you buy a PMD SDMD kit or simply build your own). We’ll modify the Pinball Browser macro to accommodate the Pro version of the game later this week. Now each individual frame can be modified and tweaked however you see fit. My only request is that if you decided to modify my ACDC macro, you keep it free and pay it forward for all to enjoy.

I have a few friends working on some specific sequences for ACDC; once those animations are ready I’ll integrate them into my macro for all to enjoy.

We are actively working on some new PB features that will make the software much more powerful, opening up new capabilities previously unsupported. Once these software enhancements are made public I’ll put together a free YouTube video series documenting how PB can be used to colorize a Stern SAM machine.

Thanks to everyone who supported this effort along the way.

#494 9 years ago

No not yet. I’ve been too busy with everything else. Once things slow down we’ll look into that.

1 month later
#496 8 years ago
Quoted from 1452spunky:

Ok, this thread was on fire....now, not so much.
I just bought my AC/DC Pro and ready to buy one and when I went to his site, its says out of stock ?

Just got a shipment of driver boards in yesterday, so I'll be building kits this week. Shoot me an email and we'll work out the details.

[email protected]

#498 8 years ago

Unfortunately, due to my increasing work load outside of pinball I will no longer be able to assemble “turnkey” SmartDMD kits. However, I will continue to offer “DIY” kits for folks interested in building their own SmartDMD systems. DIY kits are available for $199 + shipping and include everything minus the LCD screen and driver board.

The screen and driver board can be purchased on EBay for roughly $100, this includes free shipping.

For more details on SmartDMD, including assembly instructions and software tutorials, please read this thread (moving forward this is where I’ll provided SDMD updates):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-everything-you-need-to-know

My ACDC color file (this goes for Avengers, MET, and POTC as well) is free to anyone that already owns or wants to build a SDMD kit. If you want to purchase a DIY kit please email me directly at:

[email protected]

Thanks for the continued support.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.