New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109704)

PMD - ACDC SmartDMD

By PinballMikeD

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't used the software yet, so someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe it's technically 15 colors, and the 16th slot is used to store the pallet pointer.

It's 16 colors / pallet

2 months later
#274 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

There appears to be confusion about the role of the Pinball Browser and SmartDMD

There are 2 threads on Pinside dedicated to Pinball Browser and SmartDmd, the differences and relationships between them are very clear.

Quoted from Dmod:

The Pinball Browser is being used to modify Stern's copyrighted game ROMs to substitute color indexes in place of the original 4-bit dot intensities, resulting in data loss and flattened artwork

A ROM is just a component like any other part of a pinball machine and the end users have the right to modify their games as they see fit. Btw, that's what they do when they install a ColorDMD (the cabinet design is also IP).
Some even think that displaying the original copyrighted artwork (the IP of the actual license holders) with added colors, like ColorDMD or SmartDmd do, is not allowed...

Quoted from Dmod:

...resulting in data loss and flattened artwork

This is just your opinion

Quoted from Dmod:

The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame.

This statement is wrong : SmartDmd does not need to identify the frames like ColorDMD does. SmartDmd is just using the color information that is sent by the pinball machine.
The key point here is that ColorDMD uses a "frame tag" which SmartDmd does not.

Quoted from Dmod:

The ColorDMD display utilizes custom hardware that is also capable of more complex algorithms to extract a tag without the need to modify any manufacturer IP.

Yet you are still modifying the way the original artwork looks

Quoted from Dmod:

Olivier and I have corresponded several times in the past about ColorDMD support for modified game ROMs.

This is correct and you never mentionned anything about the fact that SmartDmd was using any subset of ColorDMD's protected IP.

This kind of discussion has nothing positive to add to the pinball community and I will not argue here any further. I will never criticize your product like you’ve done with ours; it is just a question of respect.

Post edited by oga83: Minor corrections for typos/wording

1 week later
#349 5 years ago

Well, I have heard the criticism about the 8 lost pixels and I have added a new mode in SmartDmd
See here for more details

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why would it need to be configurable unless there is some trade-off??

No trade-off, just backward compatibility

3 weeks later
#388 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

@Mike
how will you define mix mode mode
so that some scenes will be upscaled and others not ?!?
i thought this could only be a global setting for all ??
thx
tom

You can define the upscaling mode for each palette.
For example, Anti-Aliasing for concert videos, 16x for cartoon animations and 2x for the other ones.

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Pinball browser?? No , plug and play or I'm out. Thanks though

You don't need Pinball Browser at all to install the mod !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside