34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

$300+$20 shipping+$30 colored title=$350.

That's really not a bad price especially with having their artist doing all the work. I might be interested. I hope Star Trek will be after AC/DC.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Only $70 difference after buying a $30 color file

But it would be plug-n-play. Don't you have to color the other one yourself?

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I think the $70 difference was comparing it to ColorDMD and saying SmartDMD would be $70 less. In that case, no, you don't have to color it yourself, AND you can change games at no extra cost. Here, you would have to pay another $30.

So how long does it take to color a game?

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

This depends on what level of colorization you want.

You can easily configure a base kit to run as a red, green, purple, blue, etc. DMD display (red for example):

Just use the drop down menu and you're done:

I understand that but how much colorization could I expect for the $30? I watched your vid and I would DEFENETLY buy it if I got that kind of color for $30

1 week later
1 week later
#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

From the preview video, it looks like they are already working on a Metallica color version.

Just when I thought I was done modin my MET I get pulled right back in.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The smoothed color of the the Avengers SmartDMD look very impressive. I actually prefer the non-dot look over dots.

Yeah that's what I'm holding out for....the smoothed dot look. I hope it's the Star Trek or Met.

#136 9 years ago

OH CRAP! I'm in trouble now, I'm gonna need $1330 to buy 4, Mustang, STPro, MET and Avatar. Anybody wanna buy a kidney?

1 week later
#198 9 years ago

Oh my ulcer.. Those 8 dots are making me feel.....
well, like this:

Screenshot (378).png 162 KB

Looks like those 8 dots are colored there.

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, that yellow is the "transparent" color, you can see that in the palette. Not the actual background color, you won't see that yellow. I haven't used the software, but presumably you set a color that the program marks as transparent, and if there are other backgrounds or whatever the snake would appear over them.

Oh I see.

#248 9 years ago

Hey Mike, no one signed up to do Avatar? How would Smart DMD work when only 2/3 of the dmd is actual animations and the score is on the other 1/3? Also a few animations actually go full screen over the score part with the score still showing. I'd really like to get one for my LE.

#252 9 years ago

No one has signed up to do Avatar yet. FYI - I've reviewed your resume and you're qualified Seriously, Oga and I are available for tech support any time you need it.
Coloring the score is simple. The SmartDMD pallet configurator tool is setup with 16 color options per pallet (0 through 15). All of the text displayed on the DMD uses whatever color is assigned to #15 of the active pallet. So, if you want blue text for Avatar you just assign a blue color to #15 in your pallets. Also, it’s worth noting that the pallet configurations reside on the RPi’s SD card, so these can be modified independently from the game.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm a real idiot when it comes to Windoz and only have a laptop. I've used PhotoShop 7 before and was ok at it. My dvd box layouts were upwards of 40 layers but that was when I had a Mac.

#276 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

2 threads on Pinside are dedicated to Pinball Browser and SmartDmd. The differences and relationships between them is very clear.

A ROM is just a component like others and the users has the right to modify their games. Btw, that's what they do when they install ColorDMD (the cabinet design is also IP).
Some even think that displaying the original copyrighted artwork/IP with added colors, like ColorDMD or SmartDmd do, is not allowed...

It's just your opinion

This is wrong : SmartDmd does not need to identify the frames like ColorDMD does. SmartDmd is just using the color information that is sent by the pinball.
The key point in ColorDMD is the "frame tag" which SmartDmd is not using.

But you still modify the way the original artwork/IP is displayed

This is correct and you never mentionned anything about the fact that SmartDmd was using any subset of ColorDMD's protected IP.

This kind of dicussion has nothing positive and I will not argue here anymore.
I will never criticize your product like you do here for mines; it is just a question of respect.

WOW.

#277 9 years ago

Dear Randy,
I’ve talked with Oga and we are both in agreement. If ColorDMD and SmartDMD can’t coexist in this “cutthroat world of aftermarket pinball modding” then we’ll give our color packages away for free – this would be our gift to the pinball community. We partnered up on this project because we are likeminded pinball hobbyist and we share the same vision. If we can make a few bucks along the way in order to fund our pinball addiction - great. If we can’t, well that doesn’t change our vision.
We can either play nicely together or we’ll colorize every SAM machine for free. I’ll let you decide what PMD does moving forward. Here’s a tip – the more negative you (or your supporters) get the more I’m motivated to colorize SAM machine for free. I like money, but I value my principals more. Again, this is a hobby for us, so we have absolutely nothing to lose. Can you say the same? Maybe you should focus your time and energy on your own product, making it the best it can be instead of worrying about what we’re doing. Maybe a little completion is just what you need to step up your game. Personally, I welcome the challenge. I’m not going to out “race” you, I’m simply going to hunker down and out work you. If you’re worried about SmartDMD now, you haven’t seen anything yet. Game on…..
PS - I hope you guys have a great 2015.
Regards,
Mike

Double wow.

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Oh damn. It is officially on.

Yeah, I've never seen anything like this before. But I've only been on PS for a little over a year too.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Without making some kind of a comparison chart, SmartDMD is more limited than ColorDMD, that's just a fact. Less possible colors on the screen at a time and no full color for non Stern games (due to the method the color is stored).

I thought Smart DMD had a pallet of 16 colors and Color DMD had 8. Or have I got it backwards?

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Makes me want to take a crayon to my display!
Instant color!

Just use your wifes lip stick.

#324 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

His response of that's just the way it is, was an honest one at the time.

May have been honest but not a good business move. You have to be diplomatic.

1 month later
#411 9 years ago

You want to talk about stupid Stern changes, the right side speaker studs are #8 and the left speaker studs are #6. Messed Hooked all up when I bought his speaker lights.

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. That is what happened to us but stern had put all #6 on ours I believe and hook had sent out all #8's

What the hell.

#414 9 years ago

and as a cost cutting measure...I think, my ST Pro only had 2 #6 holding each speaker down.

#420 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That...I would like to see. I have seen Star Trek games that use #8 hardware (2 per speaker) and some that use #6 hardware (4 per speaker) , but I have never seen or heard of one panel that used both on the speakers.

That was on my Mustang Pro that had the #6 on one speaker and #8 on the other. Sorry

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.