34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I
With that said, why would any of those people bother to post in this thread? What do they have to gain; it isn’t like they’re going to purchase a SmartDMD right? I just find it odd that somebody would post a ton of questions (or even a link to CDMD’s IJ product – which looks great by the way; kudos to the artists that worked on that one) in a SmartDMD thread when it’s pretty obvious that individual isn’t really interested in buying a SmartDMD.

It's a community discussion forum... Not each businesses' own sandbox. Respect each other obviously... But the whole 'these aren't customers' spiel has no legs when you are in a communal space.

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am not one to beat around the bush. Why don't you just say SmartDMD modified ROMs are infringing on Stern property if that is what you believe?

That's not what he said... I'm sure he's quite aware of how Pinball Browser is designed to sidestep the ROM issues through macros. He said SmartDMD is dependent on having a modified ROM. Having a modified ROM is legal... under certain uses. Distributing the ROM is where the problems would arise, and hence why Pinball Browser is taking the direction it has.

I'm more suprised people haven't discussed the other important element that PinballMike's package is more a bundle of independent bits. That tends to lead to support/servicability issues... the one good thing being that your pinballs should be pretty static things once upgraded and not need support for 'the latest and greatest' typically.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

His response of that's just the way it is, was an honest one at the time.

No, it was a dodgy one. One that acknowledged the condition, but failed to justify it, elaborate on it, or appease the customer's concern about it. Note the 'reason' came from someone else explaining how the system works.. not Mike.

An honest, complete response would have been "Yes, those 8 pixels being empty are due to how pinball browser/SmartDMD handle the data. It is a known limitation and will be like that on all images/games at this time. We are aware of it, but have no pending plans to change it at this time. I will see if the developer has future plans to address it".

Add whatever sales pitch you want in there about how significant it is or not... but that's an example of acknowledging the topic/limitation... not just 'what you see is what you get'. That's an answer that doesn't want to face the limitation.

#345 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Hi John,
It's a mute point, as the problem (for lack of a better word) has been resloved. Now when a non-black background is displayed, or when color is assigned to the first 8 pixels, we'll show colorized dots on all 4096 pixels instead of just the last 4088
This modification will be a configurable setting in the next release of PB as well as some more significant improvements yet to be revealed. We are perposely delaying the release of ACDC specifically to include these inhancments, which will be unique to SmartDMD.
I'll post more on this later
Mike

Why would it need to be configurable unless there is some trade-off??

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Well, I have heard the criticism about the 8 lost pixels and I have added a new mode in SmartDmd
See here for more details

Very cool - glad to see the responsiveness to the feedback!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.