Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Very interested. How does this product differ from ColorDMD?

Colordmd works with Williams and stern, looking at the frames of dots as the signal goes by to decide how to apply color.

Smartdmd can display Williams (and others I think) and assign simple colors to the brightness levels. With stern it can use color data stored in the rom via pinball browser to do full color display.

/crude description ends here

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Right after ColorDMD starts doing Sterns.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

ColorDMD is doing Sterns. ???

ep with the assist.

DarkWizard meant: Odd that this gets announced right after ColorDMD starts doing Sterns.

TaylorVA meant: But colorDMD is already doing Stern?!

/curtsey

#53 5 years ago

If there's room in the ROMs, coloring stern games via pinball browser is actually easier than the colorDMD method, since you can color right on the dot data, rather than having to trap built frames first. But is there enough room in all the roms? I seem to remember someone was working on coloring Family Guy or Metallica (don't remember which) and mentioned having space issues to get it all done.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Anyone know the comparison of colorDMD to this as far as the palette? I'd assume both are equal, but it's sounding like maybe smart DMD is superior if it can have 16 colors, and a different palette for each frame? That opens up to a much richer color display for various scenes (not forced to use certain colors because a scene needs lots of blues), unless colorDMD has the capability as well?

ColorDMD can use (currently) 4 different 16 color palettes.

Edit: Don't take this to mean that ColorDMD is badly limited in some way - it's not. You can do really great looking color with that much space. Remember that it's all really low resolution (128x32) art so it's not really about subtlety of color. Hell, I did CCC with 16 colors period.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Actually it's more than that... We preserve all the grayscale information.
On WPC and Whitestar there are 48 possible colors per frame (16 hues x 3 nonzero levels).
For SAM there are 192 possible colors per frame (16 hues x 12 nonzero levels).
We currently support 4 unique palettes in each game but this is easily expanded. No game has needed more than 4.

Sorry, didn't mean to under-sell the colorDMD like that. I ASS-U-ME-d that the smartDMD was doing a similar thing with tinting the exisitng dots.

However, just from looking at the screenshots, it looks like the PinballBrowser coloring is just color in place of dot - not a tint to the existing brightness. Which would make the "palette for every frame" thing much more necessary as the various shades you want to use would have to be in the palette, rather than already in the dot data. So you could probably get similar looking results the SmartDMD way, but you'll be making a ton more unique palettes to compensate for losing the brightness levels.

3 weeks later
#97 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Another question I just though of; will we be able to modify purchased color files or will they be locked? I really like the idea of being able to buy a finished kit, but locking the color files to specific hardware is a downer.

They can really only distribute the color as a patch file generated from Pinball Browser to be applied to the ROM file from Stern. So I'm not really sure how locking it down to a specific build of the hardware will work. Unless they're also patching the rom with new code to check for something else on the board/SD card?

3 weeks later
#145 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I want to know this as well. Not sure I would give up Shoot to Thrill and Dirty Deeds for color pictures.
But if it does not matter then this is a no brainier.

Dynamic text would behave the same if you had edited it or not. whatever it is that smartdmd does with it.

1 week later
#179 4 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

SEGA SEGA SEGA!
I have like 10

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Hey PinballMikeD... what about our good friends Tommy & Axel (GNR's)?

For full color, SmartDMD uses data stored in the actual rom. With anything not Stern, you just get palette swaps with the brightness levels.

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Ok, so I saw this get brought up, but it was comparing to another product, so I still don't know the answer (or at least I didn't get it from reading)..... If I changed the songs in ACDC, will those text changes be present using the color ROMs or will the names go back to the original default names? I'd be cool if the names were just one color, but I want to make sure the new song text appears

The color changes are applied as a save set of macros via pinball browser and they only change the images, not the text. Any text edits you make would work as is and adapt to the color palette of the frame they're drawn over.

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Mike,
Smart DMD looks really cool! Excited by the idea of finally seeing my XMen in color!
One quick question though;
If the software or code needs 8 dots to be uncolored for registry or whatever, would it be possible to spread them around? What I was thinking was instead of having the full 8 pixel line, distribute them so that 2 were in each corner. It think it might make them much less noticeable....
Anyways, look forard to seeing more!
Thanks,
EV

Any adjustment to how the game looks for palette information, and/or covers up the rendering by replicating other dots would be a change OGA would have to make with pinball browser, I think.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

As unprofessional as you can get.

Sure, it's not great, but either one of them COULD get a LOT worse.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

How do you conclude this is an inferior product when its not even finalized and released yet? Kind of a bias and uninformed blanket statement. I also believe there are plenty who haven't drank the cool aide and believe Samsung has the better product

Without making some kind of a comparison chart, SmartDMD is more limited than ColorDMD, that's just a fact. Less possible colors on the screen at a time and no full color for non Stern games (due to the method the color is stored).

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I thought Smart DMD had a pallet of 16 colors and Color DMD had 8. Or have I got it backwards?

They both use 16 color palettes - but SmartDMD just has the 16 colors chosen, where ColorDMD applies the color to the existing brightness level, so 16x10 possible colors on a Stern game, 16x4 on WMS.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Also, I'm completely on Mac - so how do I set up a SmartDMD with my existing computer hardware (which is no problem at all with ColorDMD)? Maybe i missed something, so excuse me if SmartDMD is compatible to be set up with OSX.

Unless OGA ports PinballBrowser to OSX, you'd have to run Parallels/Vmware and a windows machine VM.

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I am working on the POTC colorization and there is a way around the missing 8 dots. Mike and OGA are working on an update that will address this via a software update to Pinball Browser. I would say everyone should reserve judgement until the product actually comes out.

People were judging what was shown. Can't blame them for that. Great that it'll be tweaked.

4 weeks later
#366 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

How easy is it to install these vs the other un named version.

It's a display you screw in and plug in. How could it be any different at all?

#369 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I'll probably do an install video similar to the ones I made for CFTBL.
IMO the install is very easy. However, if you are computer challenged then you might need some help with Pinball Browser.

Oh, right. I wasn't thinking about the pinball browser part. Mike makes great tutorial videos though. His install stuff for the creature LCD was top notch.

1 week later
#476 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm in the same boat...love the customization features, but want the "out of the box" colorization to be awesome. Don't want to be forced to customize/finish frames that aren't polished...

I'm sure there's no intention of putting things out unfinished. Hell, making the palette setup such that it's simple to change colors in specific sections of the game (if you choose to) is MORE work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside