Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Looks promising. Is this going to be four colors where the user selects the colors?

When it hits the market, will it be useful for all SAM games or will it be dependent on a game-by-game release of game specific software?

#9 5 years ago

Will SM be one of the titles that you plan to be working on sooner rather than later?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

We have a target price in mind. It will be more cost friendly compared to other alternative systems.

Would you like to hear our opinions on a sweet spot for price?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

ColorDMD is doing Sterns. ???

They just released the LOTR ROM.

#52 5 years ago

I thought he was questioning why this product is coming out right after ColorDMD started doing Sterns.
I think there is an obvious demand for something like SmartDMD to at least fill the gaps of the games that ColorDMD will not do or will not get to anytime soon. Also, hopefully the price point will be considerably lower so people with lower priced DMD games will be able to justify the expense of an upgrade. For example, it would be hard to justify putting a $400 colorDMD display in a $1500 game, but a $250-$300 color display would be tough to pass up for many.

1 month later
#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Love it, very nice. If this is available before colorDMD I'll definitely get one

It is like a race to see which will get the cash.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We're not racing. It will be available early spring. It will be worth the wait. And it will be awesome.

What will be ready in early Spring, ACDC ColorDMD?
After seeing the pictures in the Avengers SmartDMD thread I am curious to see which product is going to look better in an actual game. Before seeing the pictures I would have thought ColorDMD would be the clear winner, but now I am not so sure. The smoothed color of the the Avengers SmartDMD look very impressive. I actually prefer the non-dot look over dots. It seems pinball is always around 20 years behind the times with technology.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We're not racing. It will be available early spring. It will be worth the wait. And it will be awesome.

Now that competition appears to be "coming soon", it may be in your interest to announce which games will be colorized ahead of time to subdue some of the buying of the alternative product.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Ok, here is a list of the games we'll be providing full color kits for:
1) The Walking Dead
2) Mustang
3) Star Trek
4) ACDC
5) X-Men
6) The Rolling Stones
7) Transformers
8 ) Tron
9) Iron Man
10) Metallica
11) Avatar
12) Big Buck Hunter
13) NBA
14) 24
15) Shrek
16) CSI
17) Indiana Jones
18) spiderman
19) Wheel of Fortune
20) Family Guy
21) Avengers
22) Pirates of the Caribbean
23) Batman Dark Knight
They'll all be worth the wait. And they'll all be AWSOME. Oh yeah, and they'll all only be $330 bucks per kit.

That is what I am talking about.
Great to see this evolution of pinball games taking off like a rocket. Stern really missed the boat not offering this as a add-on for older games. It would have been much easier for them to do since they have the source material.

2 weeks later
#253 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Whew! I had to look to remind myself, but I'm not one of the people who thumbed-up that particular post. That said, there are multiple reasons to do so. All of those people are not ColorDMD minions.
Sorry to single you out, Hwawonyu, but I'd put money on him buying whichever is available first. My point being that just thumbing-up that post does not mean they're taking sides.
I WAS on the fence about which display would be going in my Metallica, but I have made my choice. It wasn't based on price, patents, advertising, first to market, etc. What finally helped me decide was seeing how things were handled when a legitimate concern was brought up.

I think it is fair to say that both color display guys have done some questionable posting.
I still recommend waiting to see which one has the better overall look to their product for games that are expected to be done by both.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Mistaken. This is handled the same way as other variable text (like player scores).
There appears to be confusion about the role of the Pinball Browser and SmartDMD, both created by Olivier Galliez (OGA83) which PinballMikeD is attempting to bundle with off-the-shelf hardware and commercialize.
The Pinball Browser is being used to modify Stern's copyrighted game ROMs to substitute color indexes in place of the original 4-bit dot intensities, resulting in data loss and flattened artwork. The first 8 dots of the image are modified to contain encoded data that can be used by a display device to simplify identification of the frame.
The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame. The ColorDMD display utilizes custom hardware that is also capable of more complex algorithms to extract a tag without the need to modify any manufacturer IP.
Furthermore, the ColorDMD hardware is capable of more complex video processing to color-enhance the original 4-bit images without data loss, produce context-based colored text, and implement buffering to eliminate the visible screen tearing that otherwise results during flashing text and scrolling animations.
Olivier and I have corresponded several times in the past about ColorDMD support for modified game ROMs. Creating a color database is easier with a modified ROM. The main sticking points were the data loss and approval by Stern. This was left open for future discussion. I admit to being surprised by some of the announcements and claims in this thread.

I am not one to beat around the bush. Why don't you just say SmartDMD modified ROMs are infringing on Stern property if that is what you believe?
Also, are you sending a C&D to Mike? What is your angle in posting about your patent in relation to SmartDMD?

#291 4 years ago

We should start a rumble thread:

1 month later
#467 4 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I would love it if MikeD would make a mod that replaces the translite with a large lcd that animates the game. For instance; on TSPP the large lcd would display video of The Simpsons while still relating the activities happening on the playfield like extra ball or ball lock. Similar to WOZ.

A game like SM would be the best candidate for something like that, especially since the DMD animations are the main thing lacking in that game. Doing such a huge transformation of a pin could be too expensive for most game owners to stomach.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside