34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

Just curious what this means, will any delay be eliminated with the update? will there be any delay in the songs and animations for Metallica? Thanks (mostly curious what the differences in interface is with this and colordmd)

SmartDMD doesn't have a delay. Hank527 was asking about an update for the ACDC Dancing Band LCD MOD - different product altogether.

#402 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

We received numerous requests from existing SmartDMD users, asking for the opportunity to purchase our color files independently from our kits. These are the guys that built their own SmartDMD systems. They are the original beta testers that helped make Pinball Browser what it is today. It didn't seem right to make them buy hardware they already owned. This is the reason we decided to sell the color files independently.
Anyway, I now understand your question. Yes, if you buy an ACDC SmartDMD kit and move it to another game you can always move it back. I've always sold my pins with the MODs included, so that is a new concept for me.

The expand on Aurichs question , if I am not mistaken in the "other color display option" if you buy the DMD for admittedly more $$$ you can load any rom you want correct ? I can see the use case of selling a machine and wanting to keep this and put it in a different one. anyhow I get you have to do this since its based on a "open source" product and you have to put a lot of work into the color files but that's kinda a bumemer.

Also if I buy the one with the color file does it come pre-installed or do I have to load it? Easy enough but my personal machine is a Mac as well .

#403 9 years ago

If you're on a Mac (I am) you just can't natively run the software to edit things. But you just have to load the rom on a USB stick like any normal update, so that part won't matter a bit in OS X.

You just lose out on any of the customization functionality. That's Windows only. So you'll need to have some kind of VM solution to use it.

As I understand it at least, since I haven't used it.

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Looks great now. The "8-pixels" in the upper left look perfect now. I never noticed that nit it until it was pointed out, but once it was pointed out it was something that my eye automatically went to and bothered me. Kind of like the limp cock on the LOTR LE backglass; not sure I could have lived with it. Looks great now and so does the upscaling! Can't wait!

That's Hilarious ! I almost bought one now I can look at that again

Screenshot_2015-02-22-19-41-36.pngScreenshot_2015-02-22-19-41-36.png
#405 9 years ago

Can't!

#406 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're on a Mac (I am) you just can't natively run the software to edit things. But you just have to load the rom on a USB stick like any normal update, so that part won't matter a bit in OS X.
You just lose out on any of the customization functionality. That's Windows only. So you'll need to have some kind of VM solution to use it.
As I understand it at least, since I haven't used it.

Ahh ok I was thinking you needed to load it via the computer , I have access to tons of devices just prefer the Mac at home and was curious

#407 9 years ago

I’ve received many questions via email; hope this answers everyone’s questions:

(1) Do you have a manual for this product?

We are currently working on an installation manual for this MOD. It will contain detailed instructions and high resolution pictures illustrating every step of the installation process. An electronic copy of the manual will be included with the MOD. In addition, screen shots of the manual will be posted in this thread.

(2) Is the MOD reversible and can the hardware be moved from one game to another.

Yes, the MOD is 100% reversible, so it can be moved from game to game if desired.

(3) How do I know which kit to order?

When ordering a kit it is important to order the right one. PMD SDMD Kits will be offered in two styles: traditional speaker panel and angled speaker panel. Newer games like ST, Mustang, and TWD use the angled speaker panel. Older games like SM, Tron, and Avengers use the traditional speaker panel. Also, make sure you don’t order the Prem/LE kit if you own a pro or vice versa.

(4) What will happen when I install this MOD if I’ve already altered my game’s BIN file using Pinball Browser?

For a PMD “pre-colorized” SDMD kit to function correctly, you must patch a stock BIN file with our custom color file. After upgrading a BIN file, adding the SDMD colorization, Pinball Browser will no longer be able to access the frames via the Display tab. Don’t worry, you can still make audio adjustments and tweak song names. However, these changes must be made after the colorization patch is installed.

(5) Do I need Pinball Browser to install this MOD?

No… The MOD will be provided with a mico SD card containing a custom utility program (Patcher.exe) used to modify stock BIN files. The patching process is extremely simple and only takes a few seconds to execute. It will take you longer to download the BIN file from Stern’s website Don’t worry; this will be covered in detail in the installation manual. FYI – I’ve tested Patcher.exe on the following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What makes SDMD so powerful are all the features built into Pinball Browser. So, yes you can install this MOD without PB, but you won’t be able to customize your DMD: change the dot shape/size, adjust the color palettes settings, override the upscaling parameters, etc.

(6) Do I need a PC to install a PMD SDMD kit?

No… You can use a Mac running OS X with bspatch. More info here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/bspatch.1.html

(7) Will this MOD work with my ACDC Interactive LCD Concert MOD?

Yes, the serial communication patch is included in our color file. However, both MODs were designed to pull power from the same circuit in the pinball machine. To properly power both MODs simultaneously you’ll need our PS MOD. This insures we don’t tax the games 12 and 5 VDC circuits. I’ll post some pictures of this later this evening.

FYI - all future questions will be answered in the second post of this thread.

#408 9 years ago

Mike, maybe you already know this, but there are two styles of mounting on the new angled speaker panels, they changed it after Mustang I think, so might want to be sure you're testing your fit for both.

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike, maybe you already know this, but there are two styles of mounting on the new angled speaker panels, they changed it after Mustang I think, so might want to be sure you're testing your fit for both.

Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know. I'm building mine based off of my MET Pro. Hey, what would Stern be without a million versions of the same game

#410 9 years ago

Yea. Stern is a real pain in the ass about changes.
We purchased a lighted speaker panel kit for our Star Trek Pro and stern made a change mid way through production that reduced the number of screws and also changed the size of the screw.
So one trip to the hardware store later and we managed to rig it up. lol.

#411 9 years ago

You want to talk about stupid Stern changes, the right side speaker studs are #8 and the left speaker studs are #6. Messed Hooked all up when I bought his speaker lights.

#412 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You want to talk about stupid Stern changes, the right side speaker studs are #8 and the left speaker studs are #6. Messed Hooked all up when I bought his speaker lights.

Yes. That is what happened to us but stern had put all #6 on ours I believe and hook had sent out all #8's

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. That is what happened to us but stern had put all #6 on ours I believe and hook had sent out all #8's

What the hell.

#414 9 years ago

and as a cost cutting measure...I think, my ST Pro only had 2 #6 holding each speaker down.

#415 9 years ago

The most obvious delay (the one seen when exiting the jukebox mode) will be fixed with a free update very soon. Rusty is working on that, when he isn't living out of his suitcase. However, there will always be a slight delay due the serial communications.
SmartDMD has no delay issue as it's not using the serial port on the MPU.

This is great news on both accounts. I cannot wait to order AC/DC smart DMD.

#416 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That...I would like to see. I have seen Star Trek games that use #8 hardware (2 per speaker) and some that use #6 hardware (4 per speaker) , but I have never seen or heard of one panel that used both on the speakers. Pics or it didn't happen.

There are other differences in these 2 panel types besides the hardware size used and number of mounting spots per speaker, but I don't know if any of the changes would or wouldn't effect the mounting of the DMD or the DMD replacement screens.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#417 9 years ago

Doug's the one who gave me the heads up on the speaker panel changes, though it doesn't seem to affect the outside, which is all I've had to worry about.

#418 9 years ago

For folks that also have the ACDC Interactive Concert LCD MOD, here's a pic of the Power Supply MOD you'll need:

PS MOD1.pngPS MOD1.png
PS MOD2.pngPS MOD2.png

Both MODs in action:

LCDs.pngLCDs.png

Again, this is needed to prevent overloading the game's 5 and 12VDC circuits. Plus, it's needed for the upcoming SmartAudio MOD.

For the folks that requested pics of the SDMD hardware, here you go:

SDMD2.pngSDMD2.png
SDMD3.pngSDMD3.png

The logo is laser engraved (same graphite pattern as the one used for the Concert MOD). If you look closely you can see a row of CFTBL MODs on the workbench reflected in the 1/4" black mirrored acrylic panel
SDMD1.pngSDMD1.png

#419 9 years ago

Sexy looking hardware

#420 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

That...I would like to see. I have seen Star Trek games that use #8 hardware (2 per speaker) and some that use #6 hardware (4 per speaker) , but I have never seen or heard of one panel that used both on the speakers.

That was on my Mustang Pro that had the #6 on one speaker and #8 on the other. Sorry

#421 9 years ago

For folks that also have the ACDC Interactive Concert LCD MOD, here's a pic of the Power Supply MOD you'll need:

Both MODs in action:

Again, this is needed to prevent overloading the game's 5 and 12VDC circuits. Plus, it's needed for the upcoming SmartAudio MOD.
For the folks that requested pics of the SDMD hardware, here you go:

The logo is laser engraved (same graphite pattern as the one used for the Concert MOD). If you look closely you can see a row of CFTBL MODs on the workbench reflected in the 1/4" black mirrored acrylic panel

PS MOD1.png 1.7 MB

PS MOD2.png 1.8 MB

LCDs.png 2.0 MB

SDMD3.png 1.5 MB

SDMD2.png 1.5 MB

SDMD1.png 1.3 MB

Just a heads up, Australian delivered machines are shipped without a service port

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

Just a heads up, Australian delivered machines are shipped without a service port

Yes, so are the European machines. We'll have to workout a different solution for folks overseas, otherwise they'll only be able to install one LCD MOD or the other.

#423 9 years ago

Nice, looking forward to getting this already

#424 9 years ago

That Concert LCD Mod looks great.

#425 9 years ago

Marked it on my calendar 3/13/15 ....... got to get me one

#426 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

That Concert LCD Mod looks great.

So do those TSPP dots

#427 9 years ago

Thanks. I love that game and with color it just looks fantastic. I'd actually kinda like the TSPP TV mod (not yours I know but similar in some ways). Such a great game but I still want a newer Stern. My friend has a CFTBL and if I ever get it your LCD mod is going in as it's got nothing there now, no hologram, nothing.

#428 9 years ago

Installed Mine today. Wow that Looks fantastic. With 16x upscaling it Looks the best.

I really like it. Keep up the good work

#429 9 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Installed Mine today

I thought they didn't go on sale until 3/13 ....... are they in fact for sale now ??

#430 9 years ago

I have Only bought the color rom, i already had have the smartdmd

#431 9 years ago

there are some beta testers, to guarantee that AC DC is full running at the start

#432 9 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I have Only bought the color rom, i already had have the smartdmd

Quoted from kapsreiter:

there are some beta testers, to guarantee that AC DC tat is full running at the start

Ohh right on , Ok thanks

#433 9 years ago

I'm working on the installation manual, should have it done this weekend.

Anyway, I've started posting it on the first page of the this thread (3rd post). If you're an insomniac it might help

#434 9 years ago

bashing against smartdmd already started.

#435 9 years ago

Is spike system pins in the works? I already want one of these for Wrestlemania LE

#436 9 years ago

Which is a better product ? Any preference

#437 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

That will be a personal preference.

#438 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

I’m kind of partial to mine

#439 9 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That will be a personal preference.

Agreed, and discussion should probably not happen on either this thread or the competitor thread. A new thread would be best.

I’m kind of partial to mine

LOL

#440 9 years ago

I'm interested in support for Data East games. Hoping there will be a nice mounting bracket coming with the kit. I like plug and play. Looking to possibly put one into Rocky and Bullwinkle in the future.

#441 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Agreed, and discussion should probably not happen on either this thread or the competitor thread. A new thread would be best.
LOL

No worries, I only want people to buy my product if they really want it. The last thing I want is disappointed customers (that goes for MODs and restorations).

I think it all comes down to what you (the consumer) want.

Do you want the ability to assign upscaling directly at the palette level? Do you want to have the ability to adjust individual palette colors? Do you want the ability to add our LCD Concert MOD to your ACDC? Do you want the ability to add our upcoming SmartAudio system to your ACDC? Do you want to save $70?

To be clear, I don’t have an issue with CDMD products or the people that like them. I’ve always said, “They make a great product.” You’ll never see me say otherwise. You’ll never see me hijack a CDMD thread to promote my own. In fact, I’ve even defended my competitor’s integrity in my own product thread – crazy right?

Maybe, I actually do this for more than just the money

#442 9 years ago

Just want to confirm something from earlier in this thread - will this work ONLY in Free Play Mode? If so, why, and what happens when you switch it to coin op? Thanks!

#443 9 years ago

Maybe, I actually do this for more than just the money

Knowing how long it takes to colorize a game, it is definitely for more than just the money.

#444 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm interested in support for Data East games. Hoping there will be a nice mounting bracket coming with the kit. I like plug and play. Looking to possibly put one into rocky and bullwinkle in the future.

Tommy would look sweet! Is anyone working on Tommy or isn't it possible yet?

#445 9 years ago

So will the LCD concert mod only work with a Stern or your color DMD?
Won't work with CDMD?

#446 9 years ago

Or do you want to completely change the dots in a game. Cause you can do that too. (within memory limits)

Colordmd is great I think its speaks to a different clientele of set it and forget it. I like to tinker A LOT so SDMD is for me because I like the ability to mess with shit if I want. Change dots. Remove frames. Change Ball saved shoot again on my Metallica to wicked color frame of Kill em all album cover.

#447 9 years ago

The service port in ACDC is on all the time, even when the game is off. I'm using it to power my amps, and I have to unplug them whenever I shut the game off. Does it matter that the PMD mods are continuously powered? Or do you have another cutoff somewhere?

#448 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Just want to confirm something from earlier in this thread - will this work ONLY in Free Play Mode? If so, why, and what happens when you switch it to coin op? Thanks!

We decided not to force that limitation, so no worries. It will work either way.

#449 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The service port in ACDC is on all the time, even when the game is off. I'm using it to power my amps, and I have to unplug them whenever I shut the game off. Does it matter that the PMD mods are continuously powered? Or do you have another cutoff somewhere?

The ACDC MODs are only powered up when the game is actually powered up. This will be ture for the SmartAudio system as well.

#450 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So will the LCD concert mod only work with a Stern or your color DMD?Won't work with CDMD?

It might work with the first generation units, but it won't on any future run.

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.