New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109704)

PMD - ACDC SmartDMD

By PinballMikeD

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

See here for more details

So dots fixed and upscaling, how can you lose with this?

#352 5 years ago

Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag

Here’s a quick sample video of the new upscaling feature in action:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qTOv5qw_mP4?autoplay=1&rel=0

I’ve tweaked a few animations (changes not reflected in the video above), so we’ll release another promo video for ACDC soon. As always, with any PMD MOD or Restoration, what you see advertised in our videos is what you’ll get.

#353 5 years ago

Ok now I want to buy an ACDC

#354 5 years ago

Looks great now. The "8-pixels" in the upper left look perfect now. I never noticed that nit it until it was pointed out, but once it was pointed out it was something that my eye automatically went to and bothered me. Kind of like the limp cock on the LOTR LE backglass; not sure I could have lived with it. Looks great now and so does the upscaling! Can't wait!

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Well, I have heard the criticism about the 8 lost pixels and I have added a new mode in SmartDmd
See here for more details

Very cool - glad to see the responsiveness to the feedback!

#356 5 years ago

Untitled.png
#357 5 years ago

Smoooooth! I'm ready!

#358 5 years ago

I can't wait to see a X-MEN video.
BTW, is it the Pro or the LE that is being worked on?

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I can't wait to see a X-MEN video.
BTW, is it the Pro or the LE that is being worked on?

I've been informed that the screens are the same for both, so the MOD should work with either version of the game.

#360 5 years ago

Would look amazing on my Luci!

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

... Kind of like the limp cock on the LOTR LE backglass...

I thought we all agreed to call it LOTR HD (Hair Dick). I still can't look at that backglass and not see that.

1 week later
#362 5 years ago

Update 2/17/15:

To better support existing SmartDMD users, we have decided to offer our color files independently from our kits. Regardless of whether you purchase a PMD kit or decide to build your own SmartDMD system, you’ll have access to all of our color files.

Here are the current pricing options:

Base Kit – this is the DIY kit where you colorize your own game ($300)
Game Specific Kit – this is a turnkey pre-colorized kit like ACDC ($330)
Game Specific Color File - $50

The PMD web store has been updated to include all of our upcoming SmartDMD kits. To purchase a kit please go here:

http://pinballmiked.com/?page_id=320

We are working on setting up a distribution network in Europe to help minimize shipping costs and provide better support for international customers.

ACDC is almost done

We’re finishing up the last few frames and working on several new upscaling features, including the ability to assign different color modes (standard dots, 2x, 16x, and more) directly to color palettes.

I’ll post when kits are ready to go.

#363 5 years ago

Mike, can you clarify this new system? If I were to buy say ACDC specific, it would be $330. Then say I want to move it over to Metallica later. At that point I pay $50 to "unlock" Metallica and I can move my screen over there?

If I want to move it back to ACDC will I be able to go back? Do I get the ability to download that file from your site since I bought it with it?

#364 5 years ago

Just finished up the dots this morning. I'll get some video shot and loaded this weekend. ACDC Kit assembly will start next week, so the wait is almost over

The first batch of MODs will be going out to our dedicated dot artists; thanks for embarking on this adventure with me. Also, if you are an existing PMD customer and you are interested in purchasing an ACDC SmartDMD, please shoot me an email (I'm terrible with PinSide PMs) and you'll get your MOD before they are made available at the website.

Thanks to all the folks that supported this effort. Your positive energy and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to remember you guys moving forward. One good deed deserves another

#365 5 years ago

How easy is it to install these vs the other un named version.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

It's a display you screw in and plug in. How could it be any different at all?

#367 5 years ago

Cant wait to get testing on TWD. Its gonna beeeeeee EPIC!

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I'll probably do an install video similar to the ones I made for CFTBL.

IMO the install is very easy. However, if you are computer challenged then you might need some help with Pinball Browser.

#369 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I'll probably do an install video similar to the ones I made for CFTBL.
IMO the install is very easy. However, if you are computer challenged then you might need some help with Pinball Browser.

Oh, right. I wasn't thinking about the pinball browser part. Mike makes great tutorial videos though. His install stuff for the creature LCD was top notch.

#370 5 years ago

Email sent for an AC/DC kit.

#371 5 years ago

Finished Product:

#372 5 years ago

Nice work!

#373 5 years ago

Pinball browser?? No , plug and play or I'm out. Thanks though

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

No worries.

I wouldn't recommend PMD products for everyone.

#375 5 years ago

Hey Mike,

I haven't read the entire thread...do I need a PC to configure/install this? As you know, I'm a Mac guy.

Looks AWESOME! btw...whose playing guitar on the video you made?

snaroff

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Mike,
I haven't read the entire thread...do I need a PC to configure/install this? As you know, I'm a Mac guy.
Looks AWESOME! btw...whose playing guitar on the video you made?
snaroff

The guitarist is Pierre Gerwig Langer.

All SmartDMDs are built on Pinball Browser. I believe you can run PB on a MAC using Parallels:

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/windows-on-mac/?utm_nooverride=1&src=b

However, this is really a question for Oga. Luckily I have 3 computers (soon it will be 4 once I pull the trigger on a Mac Pro), so I get the best of both worlds

In general, all PMD MODs (Creature, ACDC Concert MOD, SmartDMD, SmartAudio, etc.) utilize windows based software. PB is the backbone for our upcoming LCD backglass kits as well.

Also, it's worth noting that the ACDC SmartDMD will only work when the pinball machine is set to "Free Play" mode.

#377 5 years ago

Again, how do I buy? SOMEONE TAKE MY MONEY!!! Will there be a TRON? An IM?

#379 5 years ago

Awsome !!
Really nice job Mike !

#380 5 years ago

The guitarist is Pierre Gerwig Langer.
All SmartDMDs are built on Pinball Browser. I believe you can run PB on a MAC using Parallels:
http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/windows-on-mac/?utm_nooverride=1&src=b
However, this is really a question for Oga. Luckily I have 3 computers (soon it will be 4 once I pull the trigger on a Mac Pro), so I get the best of both worlds
In general, all PMD MODs (Creature, ACDC Concert MOD, SmartDMD, SmartAudio, etc.) utilize windows based software. PB is the backbone for our upcoming LCD backglass kits as well.
Also, it's worth noting that the ACDC SmartDMD will only work when the pinball machine is set to "Free Play" mode.

Curious as to why free play only?

#381 5 years ago

Wait, what? Seriously? Is that just ACDC for some reason, or is that a limitation on every game? This is the first I've heard of this, what happens if you set it back to coin?

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mike, can you clarify this new system? If I were to buy say ACDC specific, it would be $330. Then say I want to move it over to Metallica later. At that point I pay $50 to "unlock" Metallica and I can move my screen over there?
If I want to move it back to ACDC will I be able to go back? Do I get the ability to download that file from your site since I bought it with it?

Also, you never answered my question from earlier, so asking again. Do I have it right? Thanks!

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, you never answered my question from earlier, so asking again. Do I have it right? Thanks!

Why would you move an ACDC SmartDMD kit over to a Metallica and then re-install it in ACDC?

Quoted from judremy:

Curious as to why free play only?

For legal reasons.

#384 5 years ago

Why would you move an ACDC SmartDMD kit over to a Metallica and then re-install it in ACDC?

Somebody may move it to a new game and then sell that game, wanting to move it back to the original game they bought it for. I know I always keep my upgraded displays when I sell a game and put the original back in.

#385 5 years ago

I still don't "get" the free play legal restrictions. If the game is being operated within a "free play" arcade where folks pay hourly (like @ Modern Pinball in NY, Neon Retro in Pasadena, etc.), then it's still ok? If "free play" is suppose to mean "being played in a private residence", then it's not a great heuristic ...

#386 5 years ago

People move their ColorDMDs around all the time. Move it over to the newly supported machine, move it back when you sell it, etc. I'm not trying to compare the two, just saying that it's an established use case in the market is all.

So just curious how that would work since you announced the pricing for "switching" a display to a new game. Can you switch back if you wanted to? Since you've already bought the first one? I don't know how your DRM is set up (I assume you're using DRM).

#387 5 years ago

@Mike

how will you define mix mode mode

so that some scenes will be upscaled and others not ?!?
i thought this could only be a global setting for all ??

thx
tom

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

@Mike
thx
tom

You can define the upscaling mode for each palette.
For example, Anti-Aliasing for concert videos, 16x for cartoon animations and 2x for the other ones.

#389 5 years ago

where?

i cannot find a setting for this in the smartdmd.txt editor ?!?

just can select or create a palette but not more infos

#390 5 years ago

a ha only in 4.36 available

now its clear

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

@Mike
thx
tom

The "mixed mode" feature (this is called "Override" in PB 4.36) is really cool. It gives you the ability to independently pick between 4 different color presentations (standard dots, 2x, 16x, and anti-aliasing) for each individual palette. Based on how the game is colorized this can be a very powerful tool for customizing the display. Some dots look better in 2x while others look better in 16x. Personally, I prefer ACDC in standard dots, but it's cool that you have the ability to decide what works best for you.

Keep in mind that PB is continuously changing and always improving, so many more features will come with time.

Quoted from Aurich:

So just curious how that would work since you announced the pricing for "switching" a display to a new game.

We received numerous requests from existing SmartDMD users, asking for the opportunity to purchase our color files independently from our kits. These are the guys that built their own SmartDMD systems. They are the original beta testers that helped make Pinball Browser what it is today. It didn't seem right to make them buy hardware they already owned. This is the reason we decided to sell the color files independently.

Anyway, I now understand your question. Yes, if you buy an ACDC SmartDMD kit and move it to another game you can always move it back. I've always sold my pins with the MODs included, so that is a new concept for me.

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

You don't need Pinball Browser at all to install the mod !

#393 5 years ago

you have just to swap the old vs: the new display

and run a usb update at the pinball machine.

thats all, very easy

all other things are optional.

#394 5 years ago

We received numerous requests from existing SmartDMD users, asking for the opportunity to purchase our color files independently from our kits. These are the guys that built their own SmartDMD systems. They are the original beta testers that helped make Pinball Browser what it is today. It didn't seem right to make them buy hardware they already owned. This is the reason we decided to sell the color files independently.

Anyway, I now understand your question. Yes, if you buy an ACDC SmartDMD kit and move it to another game you can always move it back. I've always sold my pins with the MODs included, so that is a new concept for me.

Ah, that makes more sense now, thanks.

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Sorry, I was referring to the palette adjustment and override features (click on the pictures to zoom in for detail):

Palette Color Adjustments:
Screenshot (609).png

Upscaling Override:
Screenshot (610).png

Dot Size Control:
Screenshot (611).png

#396 5 years ago

I bought the ac dc LCD kit. It seems there is a bit of delay between when a song is picked and the animations. Is there a fix and are there any delays in the smart dmd displaying the appropriate info.

I'd love to fix that delay issue. Any opinions on how or why it's delayed

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yea no idea what he was talking about. All pictures shown of the kit would lead anyone to believe its a plug and play type display. All the coloring is being done by yall for the fee. Can't wait!!

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I bought the ac dc LCD kit. It seems there is a bit of delay between when a song is picked and the animations. Is there a fix and are there any delays in the smart dmd displaying the appropriate info.
I'd love to fix that delay issue. Any opinions on how or why it's delayed

The most obvious delay (the one seen when exiting the jukebox mode) will be fixed with a free update very soon. Rusty is working on that, when he isn't living out of his suitcase. However, there will always be a slight delay due the serial communications.

SmartDMD has no delay issue as it's not using the serial port on the MPU.

#399 5 years ago

Just curious what this means, will any delay be eliminated with the update? will there be any delay in the songs and animations for Metallica? Thanks (mostly curious what the differences in interface is with this and colordmd)

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Yea no idea what he was talking about. All pictures shown of the kit would lead anyone to believe its a plug and play type display. All the coloring is being done by yall for the fee. Can't wait!!

I was told it is not totally plug and play. Im ok with the computer but, not amazing and I have an iMac.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 199.99
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside