Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

ColorDMD is nothing but a money grab company, they are scared of competition so people won't keep happily overpaying for their overpriced product.
SmartDMD to the rescue of the pinball community!

I appreciate the support, but lets try and keep things positive. ColorDMD isn't the evil empire They make a great product.

I'm pretty sure the pinball community can support both DMD products, like the way it supports multiple pinball manufactures.

#302 4 years ago

I like both colordmd and smartdmd I think colorDMD provides a great product where as smartDMD is that at a lower-cost and more open source. If you were to buy all of the components in the kit on either System you would be just under $300 not to mention the work that it took to make the program that runs it. to me having the ability to put it in any machine and colorize it how I want or if it's a game may have already done tweak it how I want has me leaning towards a smartDMD. Also that paired with the fact of it being $100 less is the way to go. I have used a DMD extender in my demolition Man and bought all the components their asking price of $300 is not far off of the cost of the parts if they charge $30 for their labor of colorizing a game that also is well worth it just in time alone. I think PMD is doing a great service to the Pinball community by offering this option for anyone's machine keep up the good work guys I will be getting one or two of them soon I have Spiderman and Metallica LE so also smartDMD is the obvious choice LOL

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

if it's a game may have already done tweak it how I want has me leaning towards a smartDMD

Please correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but I believe that you cannot change the coloring of a game that you purchase already colored, it's locked down. So in that sense both products are the same.

But if someone were to color a game themselves they could share the file with you and you could run it on the SmartDMD hardware. If I'm understanding it right.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

This whole discussion reminds me so much of the Apple/Samsung smartphone war.
One company has a great product idea and some other company comes along trying to cash in on the same idea with a slightly cheaper and slightly inferior product.
I am someone who likes to support the originators of an idea.

How do you conclude this is an inferior product when its not even finalized and released yet? Kind of a bias and uninformed blanket statement. I also believe there are plenty who haven't drank the cool aide and believe Samsung has the better product

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

How do you conclude this is an inferior product when its not even finalized and released yet? Kind of a bias and uninformed blanket statement. I also believe there are plenty who haven't drank the cool aide and believe Samsung has the better product

Yeah the Samsung has been the better product for a long time. Now Apple has directly copied the Samsung with the iphone 6. Still does not match the GS5 though.

No reason the two displays can't coexist. Really hard to believe the bickering in this thread. ColorDMD lost some cred with me for sure. Just like the JJP guys poking their heads in where they don't belong. Getting down in the mud and throwing mud-balls in a public forum is not always the best idea. Let your product do the talking. Both companies will probably sell displays as fast as they can make them, so why be greedy or jealous?

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Without making some kind of a comparison chart, SmartDMD is more limited than ColorDMD, that's just a fact. Less possible colors on the screen at a time and no full color for non Stern games (due to the method the color is stored).

#308 4 years ago

Makes me want to take a crayon to my display!
Instant color!

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Without making some kind of a comparison chart, SmartDMD is more limited than ColorDMD, that's just a fact. Less possible colors on the screen at a time and no full color for non Stern games (due to the method the color is stored).

I thought Smart DMD had a pallet of 16 colors and Color DMD had 8. Or have I got it backwards?

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Makes me want to take a crayon to my display!
Instant color!

Just use your wifes lip stick.

#311 4 years ago

Pinball Mike,

I am very interested in your product. I do have one concern though. I am expecting (hoping) that Stern will come out with a new version of code for ACDC. When that happens, is your display going to stop working correctly until you colorize a version for the new code? I would be very sad to have new code available but then not be able to use it because my color display would not support the new code. Sorry if this is a dumb question but if I understand the process correctly, your colorized images are dependent on the specific game code used so a new release of code seems like it would break things.

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I thought Smart DMD had a pallet of 16 colors and Color DMD had 8. Or have I got it backwards?

They both use 16 color palettes - but SmartDMD just has the 16 colors chosen, where ColorDMD applies the color to the existing brightness level, so 16x10 possible colors on a Stern game, 16x4 on WMS.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Apart from the drawbacks already mentioned by others there's also the fact of the "missing pixels". I'm extremely picky and tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to technical products, maybe a very German "problem"...

Also, I'm completely on Mac - so how do I set up a SmartDMD with my existing computer hardware (which is no problem at all with ColorDMD)? Maybe i missed something, so excuse me if SmartDMD is compatible to be set up with OSX.

Regarding Samsung/Apple: Yes, today they are pretty much equal (ref: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-6-vs-galaxy-s5 ).
Of course I was referring to the original market entry of these products. Since it would be completely pointless to compare a market matured over 8 years (smartphones) to the situation with colored dots on pins today, I assumed this was obvious.
The first iPhone hit the market in 2007, as far as I remember the Samsung knockoff debuted in 2009 and when i tested it back then it was lightyears behind the Apple product. As of then they needed approx. 3-4 years until they were on par with the iPhone.
In 8 years SmartDMD might be miles ahead of ColorDMD, but looking at today that's pretty definitely not the case.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Apart from the drawbacks already mentioned by others there's also the fact of the "missing pixels". I'm extremely picky and tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to technical products, maybe a very German "problem"...
Also, I'm completely on Mac - so how do I set up a SmartDMD with my existing computer hardware (which is no problem at all with ColorDMD)? Maybe i missed something, so excuse me if SmartDMD is compatible to be set up with OSX.
Regarding Samsung/Apple: Yes, today they are pretty much equal (ref: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-6-vs-galaxy-s5 ).
Of course I was referring to the original market entry of these products. Since it would be completely pointless to compare a market matured over 8 years (smartphones) to the situation with colored dots on pins today, I assumed this was obvious.
The first iPhone hit the market in 2007, as far as I remember the Samsung knockoff debuted in 2009 and when i tested it back then it was lightyears behind the Apple product. As of then they needed approx. 3-4 years until they were on par with the iPhone.
In 8 years SmartDMD might be miles ahead of ColorDMD, but looking at today that's pretty definitely not the case.

Well lets wait and see the released product before we judge or compare...sounds like he is still making improvements and his past products have been impressive. Plus it is $100 less! Not really an apples to apples comparison..LOL. And of coarse you were referring to the 2009 Samsung, that would only make perfect sense?????

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Mike, I'm not going to engage in a schoolyard fight with you on a pinball discussion forum. Your position is clear. We'll deal with it in an appropriate manner.
Post edited by Dmod: Removed message to customers.

Not just the original comment that was here, but other ones you have made in this thread made me reconsider my LOTR Color DMD purchase. I will buy a Smart DMD and colorize it myself before you see a dime from me. Keep talking, see what good it does you...

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Unless OGA ports PinballBrowser to OSX, you'd have to run Parallels/Vmware and a windows machine VM.

#317 4 years ago

Please understand we now have to “play our cards closer to the vest.” Hopefully everyone will understand why. Rest assured that all questions will be answered prior our product release. In regards to the 8 pixels, this is being addressed. We are actively working on implementing improvements, both recommendations made here as well as things not yet discussed. Stay tuned.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

In regards to the 8 pixels, this is being addressed. We are actively working on implementing improvements, both recommendations made here as well as things not yet discussed. Stay tuned.

This is great news. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
If you are addressing the 8 missing dots then I would be interested in the TWD Pro color display.

#319 4 years ago

In regards to the 8 pixels, this is being addressed. We are actively working on implementing improvements, both recommendations made here as well as things not yet discussed.

I really wish you would have responded with this when you were previously asked. This was the final nail in the coffin for me, and I went ahead and purchased a ColorDMD for my Metallica, perhaps prematurely. I still think you have some challenges in order to end up with a product at the same level, but knowing that you are willing to try makes a big difference vs "what you see is what you get".

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I really wish you would have responded with this when you were previously asked. This was the final nail in the coffin for me, and I went ahead and purchased a ColorDMD for my Metallica, perhaps prematurely. I still think you have some challenges in order to end up with a product at the same level, but knowing that you are willing to try, makes a big difference vs "what you see is what you get".

To Mikes credit, when he was first asked about the dots, that was just the way things worked with the program, and there were no plans to address it. Sometimes it takes time to find a work around. Luckily that has occurred, and he has indeed let you know.
His response of that's just the way it is, was an honest one at the time.

#321 4 years ago

So, would I be stuck if I bought this and then the ACDC software got updated?

#322 4 years ago

No you will not be stuck; I'll make sure our stuff works with the latest game code.

#323 4 years ago

I want to know who is going to color Super Mario Bros first

.....and I am serious

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

May have been honest but not a good business move. You have to be diplomatic.

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

No, it was a dodgy one. One that acknowledged the condition, but failed to justify it, elaborate on it, or appease the customer's concern about it. Note the 'reason' came from someone else explaining how the system works.. not Mike.

An honest, complete response would have been "Yes, those 8 pixels being empty are due to how pinball browser/SmartDMD handle the data. It is a known limitation and will be like that on all images/games at this time. We are aware of it, but have no pending plans to change it at this time. I will see if the developer has future plans to address it".

Add whatever sales pitch you want in there about how significant it is or not... but that's an example of acknowledging the topic/limitation... not just 'what you see is what you get'. That's an answer that doesn't want to face the limitation.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, it was a dodgy one. One that acknowledged the condition, but failed to justify it, elaborate on it, or appease the customer's concern about it. Note the 'reason' came from someone else explaining how the system works.. not Mike.
An honest, complete response would have been "Yes, those 8 pixels being empty are due to how pinball browser/SmartDMD handle the data. It is a known limitation and will be like that on all images/games at this time. We are aware of it, but have no pending plans to change it at this time. I will see if the developer has future plans to address it".
Add whatever sales pitch you want in there about how significant it is or not... but that's an example of acknowledging the topic/limitation... not just 'what you see is what you get'. That's an answer that doesn't want to face the limitation.

Can someone explain this issue? What it is? I looked through the thread, but couldn't find it.

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Can someone explain this issue? What it is? I looked through the thread, but couldn't find it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon/page/4#post-2174783

#329 4 years ago

I am working on the POTC colorization and there is a way around the missing 8 dots. Mike and OGA are working on an update that will address this via a software update to Pinball Browser. I would say everyone should reserve judgement until the product actually comes out.

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I am working on the POTC colorization and there is a way around the missing 8 dots. Mike and OGA are working on an update that will address this via a software update to Pinball Browser. I would say everyone should reserve judgement until the product actually comes out.

People were judging what was shown. Can't blame them for that. Great that it'll be tweaked.

#331 4 years ago

The LED DMD in my ACDC is missing a pixel after I already fixed another missing pixel. Can't wait to put a Smartdmd in there instead. This will also be a must have for STLE.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Not considered to be a problem to me. Perfectionism is a good thing in engineering, as long as it doesn't mean procrastination.

Quoted from msj2222:

Why is it that believing one company has the better product mean you drank the 'kool aid'? That is a rather simplistic and judgmental way of addressing opinion without regard to how one arrived at said opinion. Conversely, it would be just as easy to say that those that believe Samsung has the better product drank the 'kool aid.'

There is a difference between realistic, critical, and negative. The first one is a statement of fact, the second intended to help improve, and the third useless from the standpoint of being constructive. Unfortunately forums provide a relatively safe place for people to be derisive and judgmental without the stigma associated with such behavior when it takes place in person.

Quoted from jamieflowers:

As has already been pointed out, judgments about the product were being made based on the available information. If a producer doesn't want judgments made about their product before it is ready, they should not announce or provide information until they are ready for feedback, positive, neutral, or negative.

It doesn't behoove anyone to be mean-spirited in my experience.

#333 4 years ago

I would agree, sometimes things can get out of hand in an online forum. Hopefully everyone will co-exist and we can all enjoy the progress of updated games. I for one am excited about what the next few years will bring in this hobby

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Mike,
Smart DMD looks really cool! Excited by the idea of finally seeing my XMen in color!
One quick question though;
If the software or code needs 8 dots to be uncolored for registry or whatever, would it be possible to spread them around? What I was thinking was instead of having the full 8 pixel line, distribute them so that 2 were in each corner. It think it might make them much less noticeable....
Anyways, look forard to seeing more!
Thanks,
EV

I would put them along the ride side vertically and it'd be much less noticeable as it would just remove a vertical column instead of a horizontal one.

#335 4 years ago

I feel very confident that the missing dots will be fixed shortly.

#336 4 years ago

oga83 has done wonders with this program for us. I feel sure that his fix for this should work as well as the rest of his awesome program. If he wrote Pin Browser he can fix 8 pixels.

#337 4 years ago

Seems like there is a whole lot of the screen that is blocked from view by the speaker panel. Maybe the pixels will get hidden out of sight?

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I would put them along the ride side vertically and it'd be much less noticeable as it would just remove a vertical column instead of a horizontal one.

I gave you a thumbs down. you're a programmer and should know better than to make a half-witted comment like this!

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Seems like there is a whole lot of the screen that is blocked from view by the speaker panel. Maybe the pixels will get hidden out of sight?

That's not how it works

#340 4 years ago

Mike - three weeks ago you listed 23 games you would be supporting in the future. Is there a schedule for the order the games will be released in?

Excited to see what you do with SM and TF. I don't envy you having to colorize those movie clips, I imagine that will be a nightmare. I hope it turns out well and after years we can finally see what the hell is going on in them.

#341 4 years ago

whew! interesting thread!

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Mike - three weeks ago you listed 23 games you would be supporting in the future. Is there a schedule for the order the games will be released in?
Excited to see what you do with SM and TF. I don't envy you having to colorize those movie clips, I imagine that will be a nightmare. I hope it turns out well and after years we can finally see what the hell is going on in them.

I honestly don’t know how long it will take to colorize all the SAM machines. It depends on how much help I get along the way. I can say this, as of today there are 9 different PMD SmartDMD projects that are actively being developed, so that's a good start

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hi John,

It's a moot point, as the problem (for lack of a better word) has been resolved. Now when a non-black background is displayed, or when color is assigned to the first 8 pixels, we'll show colorized dots on all 4096 pixels instead of just the last 4088

This modification will be a configurable setting in the next release of PB as well as some more significant improvements yet to be revealed. We have decided to delay the release of ACDC specifically to include these enhancements, which will be unique to SmartDMD.

I'll post more on this later

Mike

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I gave you a thumbs down. you're a programmer and should know better than to make a half-witted comment like this!

Hope that testing goes well without me.

#345 4 years ago

Hi John,
It's a mute point, as the problem (for lack of a better word) has been resloved. Now when a non-black background is displayed, or when color is assigned to the first 8 pixels, we'll show colorized dots on all 4096 pixels instead of just the last 4088
This modification will be a configurable setting in the next release of PB as well as some more significant improvements yet to be revealed. We are perposely delaying the release of ACDC specifically to include these inhancments, which will be unique to SmartDMD.
I'll post more on this later
Mike

Why would it need to be configurable unless there is some trade-off??

#346 4 years ago

It's a mute point

For future reference, the term is "moot".

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't know. maybe mike was referring to stu
stu.jpg

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Spel check doesn't allways work. I need grammer check two

Yes, my parents are retired college English professors - guess that's why I'm good at math....

#349 4 years ago

Well, I have heard the criticism about the 8 lost pixels and I have added a new mode in SmartDmd
See here for more details

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why would it need to be configurable unless there is some trade-off??

No trade-off, just backward compatibility

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
$ 35.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside