Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Mike, no one signed up to do Avatar? How would Smart DMD work when only 2/3 of the dmd is actual animations and the score is on the other 1/3? Also a few animations actually go full screen over the score part with the score still showing. I'd really like to get one for my LE.

No one has signed up to do Avatar yet. FYI - I've reviewed your resume and you're qualified Seriously, Oga and I are available for tech support any time you need it.

Coloring the score is simple. The SmartDMD pallet configurator tool is setup with 16 color options per pallet (0 through 15). All of the text displayed on the DMD uses whatever color is assigned to #15 of the active pallet. So, if you want blue text for Avatar you just assign a blue color to #15 in your pallets. Also, it’s worth noting that the pallet configurations reside on the RPi’s SD card, so these can be modified independently from the game.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

No one has signed up to do Avatar yet. FYI - I've reviewed your resume and you're qualified Seriously, Oga and I are available for tech support any time you need it.
Coloring the score is simple. The SmartDMD pallet configurator tool is setup with 16 color options per pallet (0 through 15). All of the text displayed on the DMD uses whatever color is assigned to #15 of the active pallet. So, if you want blue text for Avatar you just assign a blue color to #15 in your pallets. Also, it’s worth noting that the pallet configurations reside on the RPi’s SD card, so these can be modified independently from the game.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm a real idiot when it comes to Windoz and only have a laptop. I've used PhotoShop 7 before and was ok at it. My dvd box layouts were upwards of 40 layers but that was when I had a Mac.

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Whew! I had to look to remind myself, but I'm not one of the people who thumbed-up that particular post. That said, there are multiple reasons to do so. All of those people are not ColorDMD minions.
Sorry to single you out, Hwawonyu, but I'd put money on him buying whichever is available first. My point being that just thumbing-up that post does not mean they're taking sides.
I WAS on the fence about which display would be going in my Metallica, but I have made my choice. It wasn't based on price, patents, advertising, first to market, etc. What finally helped me decide was seeing how things were handled when a legitimate concern was brought up.

I think it is fair to say that both color display guys have done some questionable posting.
I still recommend waiting to see which one has the better overall look to their product for games that are expected to be done by both.

#254 4 years ago

I appreciate the lesson in "class", but I'm not the guy hijacking my competitor's thread in order to advertise my product.

Oh, my bad then, I didn't realize Aurich and DMOD were the same damn person.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Shit, I didn't realize that either! Time to go question my whole existence.

(For the record I'm not anyone's mouthpiece, and no one tells me how to post. Back to lurking in this thread now I think.)

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think it is fair to say that both color display guys have done some questionable posting.
I still recommend waiting to see which one has the better overall look to their product for games that are expected to be done by both.

Yes, the argument is unsightly.

Quoted from Frax:

I'm pretty sure Mike was referring to the "not racing" post by DMOD. He even posted a pic of it.

#257 4 years ago

I'm not sure how I missed this. Put me on the list for one I will say from my past purchase of the LCD Mod, that Mike D's support is second to none!

#258 4 years ago

Almost forgot - I’m happy to announce that we now have four more dot artist on the PMD team. They’ve graciously offered to dedicate their time in the efforts to colorize Xmen, Transformers, and Star Trek. Thanks for the help – you guys know how you are
Let's all try and enjoy pinball. At least we all share that passion.
1.png 353 KB

Ummm... I like the example you gave earlier... someone could offer to do Tron... yes... TRON... TRON... TRON... TRON... Everyone say it with me.... Tron!!!!

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shit, I didn't realize that either! Time to go question my whole existence.
(For the record I'm not anyone's mouthpiece, and no one tells me how to post. Back to lurking in this thread now I think.)

Rich,

Feel free to PM me your number and I'll give you a call. I'm sure with a quick phone conversation we can reach an accord. I'd like to apologize if I misinterpreted any of your posts. I just assumed you had ulterior motives when I saw you posting a link to CDMD's IJ product here and then giving CDMD a "thumbs up" for advertising their ACDC product in my thread. I'm sure you can understand how I might find that peculiar. Anyway, I harbor no ill will towards you and wish you nothing but the best. I think you're a talented guy with a keen artistic eye, which is why I offered you a chance to partner up on a SmartDMD project. Anyway, I'm sure if we had a chance to hang out, drink a few beers, and play some pinball we'd get along just fine

Best wishes,

Mike

#261 4 years ago

Back to business.

Here's a sneak peak of XMen:

magneto multiball (large sprite colored).jpg

I'll post some video footage of Avengers later this week. Also, we'll be starting a tutorial thread soon where folks can share their SmartDMD colorization tips and tricks. Hopefully this will be a great source of information for the people considering a colorization project for PMD. Lastly, we can now add POTC to the list of games actively being worked on

#262 4 years ago

Mike, ColorDMD exists, there's no reason to try and pretend no one on Pinside doesn't already know that, so I wouldn't worry about "advertising". It's a forum, we're just here to talk. I thumbed up Randy's post because I liked his attitude, "this isn't a race". Just let people make their projects, show what they have, and people can choose whatever feels right to them. I personally want whatever looks best in my games.

Like, I've posted before that I'm really excited about ColorDMD's Metallica. That's because I know the guy doing the coloring, I play in league with him, and his day job is doing graphics for a game company and he's big on getting details right. But if he makes some choices that I don't agree with then just knowing him doesn't really mean anything. The end result is what's important.

The coloring process takes a lot of time to do right, and it's why I haven't done one. Or we'd have a color Shadow by now. I simply don't have the time to dedicate to something like that. For any company.

If we meet I'll have to pass on the beer, I'm gluten free (celiac), but make it a Manhattan and you're on! Also, I know it's a totally weird name, but it's Aurich. Sounds like Oric. I post under my real name.

#263 4 years ago

Also, we'll be starting a tutorial thread soon where folks can share their SmartDMD colorization tips and tricks

that would be helpful. I went ahead and donated so I could unlock pinballbrowser (swappable pallettes), I can see how colorizing (correctly) could be a challenge (especially anything that's video like CSI). It's a shame there's no algorithm like when they colorize old b&W movies.

#264 4 years ago

Finally, a few posts that bring common sense back... did not expect to see that when I clicked this again. Nice.

Mags looks awesome... totally bummed that I do not own that game to see that in development.

#265 4 years ago

Smart DMD holds a significant edge over Color DMD on AC/DC and Metalica if you have customized your music selection smart will let the new names show through on the display. From my understanding Color will only work on the orginal bin file. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Smart DMD holds a significant edge over Color DMD on AC/DC and Metalica if you have customized your music selection smart will let the new names show through on the display. From my understanding Color will only work on the orginal bin file. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Mistaken. This is handled the same way as other variable text (like player scores).

There appears to be confusion about the role of the Pinball Browser and SmartDMD, both created by Olivier Galliez (OGA83) which PinballMikeD is attempting to bundle with off-the-shelf hardware and commercialize.

The Pinball Browser is being used to modify Stern's copyrighted game ROMs to substitute color indexes in place of the original 4-bit dot intensities, resulting in data loss and flattened artwork. The first 8 dots of the image are modified to contain encoded data that can be used by a display device to simplify identification of the frame.

The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame. The ColorDMD display utilizes custom hardware that is also capable of more complex algorithms to extract a tag without the need to modify any manufacturer IP.

Furthermore, the ColorDMD hardware is capable of more complex video processing to color-enhance the original 4-bit images without data loss, produce context-based colored text, and implement buffering to eliminate the visible screen tearing that otherwise results during flashing text and scrolling animations.

Olivier and I have corresponded several times in the past about ColorDMD support for modified game ROMs. Creating a color database is easier with a modified ROM. The main sticking points were the data loss and approval by Stern. This was left open for future discussion. I admit to being surprised by some of the announcements and claims in this thread.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Mistaken. This is handled the same way as other variable text (like player scores).
There appears to be confusion about the role of the Pinball Browser and SmartDMD, both created by Olivier Galliez (OGA83) which PinballMikeD is attempting to bundle with off-the-shelf hardware and commercialize.
The Pinball Browser is being used to modify Stern's copyrighted game ROMs to substitute color indexes in place of the original 4-bit dot intensities, resulting in data loss and flattened artwork. The first 8 dots of the image are modified to contain encoded data that can be used by a display device to simplify identification of the frame.
The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame. The ColorDMD display utilizes custom hardware that is also capable of more complex algorithms to extract a tag without the need to modify any manufacturer IP.
Furthermore, the ColorDMD hardware is capable of more complex video processing to color-enhance the original 4-bit images without data loss, produce context-based colored text, and implement buffering to eliminate the visible screen tearing that otherwise results during flashing text and scrolling animations.
Olivier and I have corresponded several times in the past about ColorDMD support for modified game ROMs. Creating a color database is easier with a modified ROM. The main sticking points were the data loss and approval by Stern. This was left open for future discussion. I admit to being surprised by some of the announcements and claims in this thread.

I am not one to beat around the bush. Why don't you just say SmartDMD modified ROMs are infringing on Stern property if that is what you believe?
Also, are you sending a C&D to Mike? What is your angle in posting about your patent in relation to SmartDMD?

#268 4 years ago

I hope this project continues. I believe competion leads to better products, more variety, and better pricing. Until now, it's been a monopoly, with only one manufacturer "with off-the-shelf hardware" at over $400 a pop.
Having multiple products out there is awesome for everyone that does this as a hobby.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame

Well, the fact that ColorDMD has patented this process
http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week27/OG/html/1404-2/US08773452-20140708.html

Means that Smart DMD is likely to remain as an open source kit rather than a commercially bought easy install kit, unless SmartDMD is doing something different enough to not infringe. Also it sounds like perhaps ColorDMD only modifies the pallette index (without changing the actual code). Does that mean that ColorDMD allows for code updates without affecting all the work put into colorizing, and SmartDMD doesn't? (unless someone wants to go through the task of downloading the latest rom, and manually importing all the artwork in frame by frame).

None-the-less, I'm grateful for Oliver creating pinballbrowser, it has already allowed many users to modify sounds (or dots if they desire). It's certainly a neat tool to play around.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

I hope this project continues. I believe competion leads to better products, more variety, and better pricing.

I agree with the products and variety part. Not sure the pricing part really works though.

Easy example: JJP coming in definitely seemed to make Stern step up their game, I think it was a win for pinball. I think we can all agree prices definitely didn't come down, and Jack's pricing model might have actually accelerated Stern raising prices.

Obviously people love paying less money for things. But I think lowering prices can be a dangerous game. You chase the bottom line down too far and ultimately things can suffer. I know how much work the ColorDMD stuff is, not just coloring the games (though that's a ton of work) and not just assembling and shipping and figuring out brackets and doing booths at shows etc (ton of work there too) but also just developing the platform itself. They're still working on it, constantly improving things. Custom hardware, custom software.

When we just keep demanding they sell it for cheaper, with a product that frankly sells out every time and has a limited audience as far as growth goes, we risk killing the incentive to keep doing all that work. You reach a point where it's just not worth the time anymore.

As a mod maker I'm really conscious of what having these "second job" companies is like. I couldn't support myself going full time, and I wouldn't want to, it would be a lot more stress and a lot less fun to even try. But my free time is a precious thing. I have to charge for it to be able to justify it. Otherwise it just becomes something I dread doing, and I won't want to do another project. And then I think everyone loses.

Only you can decide if something is worth buying. But I think we should pay the prices things are worth, and support the small businesses that make this hobby even better.

/off soap box

#271 4 years ago

For folks truly interested in purchasing a SmartDMD (or colorizing a game for PMD) feel free to email me directly at mike@pinballmiked.com. FYI - This email address will also work for a C&D

I'm going to refocus my energy and double my efforts on PMD products - SmartDMD first and foremost. I'll post again once units are ready to ship. Time to get back to work

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am not one to beat around the bush. Why don't you just say SmartDMD modified ROMs are infringing on Stern property if that is what you believe?

That's not what he said... I'm sure he's quite aware of how Pinball Browser is designed to sidestep the ROM issues through macros. He said SmartDMD is dependent on having a modified ROM. Having a modified ROM is legal... under certain uses. Distributing the ROM is where the problems would arise, and hence why Pinball Browser is taking the direction it has.

I'm more suprised people haven't discussed the other important element that PinballMike's package is more a bundle of independent bits. That tends to lead to support/servicability issues... the one good thing being that your pinballs should be pretty static things once upgraded and not need support for 'the latest and greatest' typically.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It's also because of you that the DMD Extender project has been muted to be nothing but a DMD extender. It was growing to have been so much more, including DOT COLORIZATION but you guys put a stop to that real quick.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

There appears to be confusion about the role of the Pinball Browser and SmartDMD

There are 2 threads on Pinside dedicated to Pinball Browser and SmartDmd, the differences and relationships between them are very clear.

Quoted from Dmod:

The Pinball Browser is being used to modify Stern's copyrighted game ROMs to substitute color indexes in place of the original 4-bit dot intensities, resulting in data loss and flattened artwork

A ROM is just a component like any other part of a pinball machine and the end users have the right to modify their games as they see fit. Btw, that's what they do when they install a ColorDMD (the cabinet design is also IP).
Some even think that displaying the original copyrighted artwork (the IP of the actual license holders) with added colors, like ColorDMD or SmartDmd do, is not allowed...

Quoted from Dmod:

...resulting in data loss and flattened artwork

This is just your opinion

Quoted from Dmod:

The SmartDMD display device implements a limited subset of ColorDMD's protected IP (US 8,773,452 B2) to generate a tag from the first eight dots (in this case, a palette identifier), and retrieve color information for the frame.

This statement is wrong : SmartDmd does not need to identify the frames like ColorDMD does. SmartDmd is just using the color information that is sent by the pinball machine.
The key point here is that ColorDMD uses a "frame tag" which SmartDmd does not.

Quoted from Dmod:

The ColorDMD display utilizes custom hardware that is also capable of more complex algorithms to extract a tag without the need to modify any manufacturer IP.

Yet you are still modifying the way the original artwork looks

Quoted from Dmod:

Olivier and I have corresponded several times in the past about ColorDMD support for modified game ROMs.

This is correct and you never mentionned anything about the fact that SmartDmd was using any subset of ColorDMD's protected IP.

This kind of discussion has nothing positive to add to the pinball community and I will not argue here any further. I will never criticize your product like you’ve done with ours; it is just a question of respect.

Post edited by oga83: Minor corrections for typos/wording

#275 4 years ago

Dear Randy,

I’ve talked with Oga and we are both in agreement. If ColorDMD and SmartDMD can’t coexist in this “cutthroat world of aftermarket pinball modding” then we’ll give our color packages away for free – this would be our gift to the pinball community. We partnered up on this project because we are likeminded pinball hobbyist and we share the same vision. If we can make a few bucks along the way in order to fund our pinball addiction - great. If we can’t, well that doesn’t change our vision.

We can either play nicely together or we’ll colorize every SAM machine for free. I’ll let you decide what PMD does moving forward. Here’s a tip – the more negative you (or your supporters) get the more I’m motivated to colorize SAM machines for free. I like money, but I value my principals more. Again, this is a hobby for us, so we have absolutely nothing to lose. Can you say the same? Maybe you should focus your time and energy on your own product, making it the best it can be instead of worrying about what we’re doing. Maybe a little completion is just what you need to step up your game. Personally, I welcome the challenge. I’m not going to out “race” you, I’m simply going to hunker down and out work you. If you’re worried about SmartDMD now, you haven’t seen anything yet. Game on…..

PS - I hope you guys have a great 2015. I'm pretty PMD will.

Regards,

Mike

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

2 threads on Pinside are dedicated to Pinball Browser and SmartDmd. The differences and relationships between them is very clear.

A ROM is just a component like others and the users has the right to modify their games. Btw, that's what they do when they install ColorDMD (the cabinet design is also IP).
Some even think that displaying the original copyrighted artwork/IP with added colors, like ColorDMD or SmartDmd do, is not allowed...

It's just your opinion

This is wrong : SmartDmd does not need to identify the frames like ColorDMD does. SmartDmd is just using the color information that is sent by the pinball.
The key point in ColorDMD is the "frame tag" which SmartDmd is not using.

But you still modify the way the original artwork/IP is displayed

This is correct and you never mentionned anything about the fact that SmartDmd was using any subset of ColorDMD's protected IP.

This kind of dicussion has nothing positive and I will not argue here anymore.
I will never criticize your product like you do here for mines; it is just a question of respect.

WOW.

#277 4 years ago

Dear Randy,
I’ve talked with Oga and we are both in agreement. If ColorDMD and SmartDMD can’t coexist in this “cutthroat world of aftermarket pinball modding” then we’ll give our color packages away for free – this would be our gift to the pinball community. We partnered up on this project because we are likeminded pinball hobbyist and we share the same vision. If we can make a few bucks along the way in order to fund our pinball addiction - great. If we can’t, well that doesn’t change our vision.
We can either play nicely together or we’ll colorize every SAM machine for free. I’ll let you decide what PMD does moving forward. Here’s a tip – the more negative you (or your supporters) get the more I’m motivated to colorize SAM machine for free. I like money, but I value my principals more. Again, this is a hobby for us, so we have absolutely nothing to lose. Can you say the same? Maybe you should focus your time and energy on your own product, making it the best it can be instead of worrying about what we’re doing. Maybe a little completion is just what you need to step up your game. Personally, I welcome the challenge. I’m not going to out “race” you, I’m simply going to hunker down and out work you. If you’re worried about SmartDMD now, you haven’t seen anything yet. Game on…..
PS - I hope you guys have a great 2015.
Regards,
Mike

Double wow.

#278 4 years ago

#280 4 years ago

Let me know when this is ready to go I am looking forward to it & I will be ready to send you another check. And remember...have fun!!!

#281 4 years ago

Maybe you should focus your time and energy on your own product, making it the best it can be instead of worrying about what we’re doing. Maybe a little completion is just what you need to step up your game. Personally, I welcome the challenge. I’m not going to out “race” you, I’m simply going to hunker down and out work you.

Oh damn. It is officially on.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Oh damn. It is officially on.

Yeah, I've never seen anything like this before. But I've only been on PS for a little over a year too.

#283 4 years ago

Competition is healthy, and I'm not committed one way or the other. I have ACDC and Met with Mustang on the way, so I'll look at price and specs before making up my mind.

I will mention that given a tie, I will buy the product from the party that conducts themselves professionally.

#284 4 years ago

Mike, I'm not going to engage in a schoolyard fight with you on a pinball discussion forum. Your position is clear. We'll deal with it in an appropriate manner.

Post edited by Dmod: Removed message to customers.

#285 4 years ago

randy:
and yet you keep bringing it into mike's thread to push his buttons. for the sake of the rest of us forum members, take your dispute privately

#286 4 years ago

Randy,

would you like it, when Mike wrote in your colorDMD threads "For our customers, please stay tuned for some exciting new product releases and enhancements for your existing systems!"

Thats real childish.

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

randy:
and yet you keep bringing it into mike's thread to push his buttons. for the sake of the rest of us forum members, take your dispute privately

And miss out on all this fun? Change the channel.
I'm staying tuned with popcorn.

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Randy,
would you like it, when Mike wrote in your colorDMD threads "For our customers, please stay tuned for some exciting new product releases and enhancements for your existing systems!"
Thats real childish.

It wasn't intended to be, but I see your point. I've deleted it.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Mike, I'm not going to engage in a schoolyard fight with you on a pinball discussion forum. Your position is clear. We'll deal with it in an appropriate manner.
For our customers, please stay tuned for some exciting new product releases and enhancements for your existing systems!

Professional Manner? You keep posting your stuff in someone else's thread. As unprofessional as you can get. I've thought about getting your products on my Bally Williams titles but at the moment Id seriously re think that.

EDIT: I see you have gone back and deleted some of the offending posts but a lot of damage is done. It's at least a good first step.

#290 4 years ago

Mike has been professional and very helpful in my dealings with him and I think is an excellent member of the pinball community who does what he does on the side, to fund his pinball addiction.

I'm sure you are a great guy too Randy but continuously commenting in a Smart DMD thread doesn't look good and certainly not very professional.

#291 4 years ago

We should start a rumble thread:

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

As unprofessional as you can get.

Sure, it's not great, but either one of them COULD get a LOT worse.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

We should start a rumble thread:
» YouTube video

hold it! I believe the thread that you're looking for is here:
http://tiny.cc/p9trsx

#294 4 years ago

Popcorn.gif
#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Post edited by Dmod: Removed message to customers.

Color DMD in showing true colours shocker!

#297 4 years ago

Believe it or not pinball is a hobby for me and everyone else at PMD. We all have jobs outside of pinball – makes it easier to pay the bills Most of us work 50 to 60+ hours a week or more.

Good to have, you might need legal counsel soon.

#298 4 years ago

ColorDMD is nothing but a money grab company, they are scared of competition so people won't keep happily overpaying for their overpriced product.

SmartDMD to the rescue of the pinball community!

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

ColorDMD is nothing but a money grab company, they are scared of competition so people won't keep happily overpaying for their overpriced product.

aww-why-dont-you-cry-about-it.jpg

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This whole discussion reminds me so much of the Apple/Samsung smartphone war.

One company has a great product idea and some other company comes along trying to cash in on the same idea with a slightly cheaper and slightly inferior product.

I am someone who likes to support the originators of an idea.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Evansville, IN
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside