34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Question: if ACDC gets a new update with more DOTS added will you update the color roms?
I know it is a dumb question but had to ask it.

Yes.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Any chance of TSPP ???

White star games are in the works, but we still have some work to do there. I wouldn't rule out doing all of them as well - including LOTR

#153 9 years ago

It would great if down the road you would release how many software kits sell for some of the rare games like 24 and CSI. Didn't they make very few 24's?

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Dynamic text would behave the same if you had edited it or not. whatever it is that smartdmd does with it.

This is correct.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

Wheel of Fortune, csi?? no love for TSPP

We are targeting SAM machines first.

Although I may have some personal incentive to colorize Simpsons

TSPP.pngTSPP.png

#156 9 years ago

For those of us that have LCD + pi + licensed pinball browser/smart DMD software, will there be a way to buy the dot package? I'm interested in the game specific packages too but I already have 2 lots of hardware installed in two of my Sterns. For the few of us that have this, I'm guessing we'd be happy to pay $50 for the coloured dots

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

For those of us that have LCD + pi + licensed pinball browser/smart DMD software, will there be a way to buy the dot package? I'm interested in the game specific packages too but I already have 2 lots of hardware installed in two of my Sterns. For the few of us that have this, I'm guessing we'd be happy to pay $50 for the coloured dots

Sorry, not at this time.

#158 9 years ago

First off, great work guys! All of this is just a reminder to me a new screen is on its way from Stern which will make dots seem out dated without color.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Ok, here is a list of the games we'll be providing full color kits for:
1) The Walking Dead
2) Mustang
3) Star Trek
4) ACDC
5) X-Men
6) The Rolling Stones
7) Transformers
8 ) Tron
9) Iron Man
10) Metallica
11) Avatar
12) Big Buck Hunter
13) NBA
14) 24
15) Shrek
16) CSI
17) Indiana Jones
18) spiderman
19) Wheel of Fortune
20) Family Guy
21) Avengers
22) Pirates of the Caribbean
23) Batman Dark Knight
They'll all be worth the wait. And they'll all be AWSOME. Oh yeah, and they'll all only be $330 bucks per kit.

Great!!!
I am waiting so long for Star Trek and especially Avatar to be colorized
I own 8 Color DMD's but i have still left Pins which are not supported by them.

So BIG ThX for doing this work and for releasing the list of Games you will support.

It don't like the big secrets Color DMD is always doing and can't understand why they don't say which Games are in Line or what will be new to their Product.

#160 9 years ago

Will you have a retail site to order from

#161 9 years ago

The thought of all the Stern SAM games being colored is amazing - even oddball titles like Stones!?! Awesome !!!!

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Will you have a retail site to order from

Pinballmiked.com

They'll be added to the "store" page.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The thought of all the Stern SAM games being colored is amazing - even oddball titles like Stones!?! Awesome !!!!

It's funny, I think most collectors start out as BW snobs (I know I did anyway), but after a few years you end up running though all the A list titles. Then you're left looking for something new. I have to say, over the last 2 years I've come full circle on Stern machines. Now I'd rather own a Stern game than anything else.

Anyway, we'll do every SAM game regardless of what our completion does - even if only one person buys a color kit for The Rolling Stones. Everyone on my team is first and foremost a hobbyist. Making money is nice, but we do what we do because we love Pinball.

#164 9 years ago

Great work guys... Keep it up! Well done indeed. I can't wait to see the finished product in person!

#165 9 years ago

Anyway, we'll do every SAM game regardless of what our completion does - even if only one person buys a color kit for The Rolling Stones. Everyone on my team is first and foremost a hobbyist. Making money is nice, but we do what we do because we love Pinball.

I will definitely buy Stones SmartDMD, so please make it compatible with the LE code

#166 9 years ago

Is it me, or does ACDC seem like it doesn't have that much for custom dots compared to other games like MET for example? When you look at the images in pinball browser, it's like at least half of them are digitized concert footage and most of that I have never seen used in the game.

Rob

#168 9 years ago

Looks awesome. I'm pretty sure you're going to sell a ton of these.

#170 9 years ago

Awesome

#171 9 years ago

Stop the press!
When can we see this "smart audio system" and 24" back glass display?
I want!!!

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Stop the press!
When can we see this "smart audio system" and 24" back glass display?
I want!!!

We're shooting for the 2nd half of this year. The ACDC LCD MOD may happen sooner.

#173 9 years ago

We're shooting for the 2nd half of this year. The ACDC LCD MOD may happen sooner.

How about now? Is it ready now? Can I have it... NOW!?!

#174 9 years ago

It's going to be a purchase for sure. Now it's just a race of who does Simpsons first.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How about now? Is it ready now? Can I have it... NOW!?!

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#176 9 years ago

SEGA SEGA SEGA!

I have like 10

#177 9 years ago

Hey PinballMikeD... what about our good friends Tommy & Axel (GNR's)?

#178 9 years ago

So a question:

It seems like any time there's a full screen color (anything not black) the upper left 8 pixels are missing.

I'm thinking the number 8 is probably a clue, does SmartDMD store some kind of palette info in the address for those pixels? Is that how it's going to look for the final release?

See the upper left missing blue on the train for example:

smartdmd-acdc.jpgsmartdmd-acdc.jpg

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

SEGA SEGA SEGA!
I have like 10

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Hey PinballMikeD... what about our good friends Tommy & Axel (GNR's)?

For full color, SmartDMD uses data stored in the actual rom. With anything not Stern, you just get palette swaps with the brightness levels.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So a question:
It seems like any time there's a full screen color (anything not black) the upper left 8 pixels are missing.
I'm thinking the number 8 is probably a clue, does SmartDMD store some kind of palette info in the address for those pixels? Is that how it's going to look for the final release?
See the upper left missing blue on the train for example:

smartdmd-acdc.jpg 128 KB

What you see is what you get.

#181 9 years ago

Although I may have some personal incentive to colorize Simpsons

When you get to the Whitestar lineup, please add RBION to the list.

#182 9 years ago

Sorry if I missed this, but are these going to work on W/B games? If so, will the profile fit in a CV? That is one game BEGGING for color that ColorDMD is just not able to accommodate.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

When you get to the Whitestar lineup, please add RBION to the list.

yes please! this game would look great in color!

#184 9 years ago

What you see is what you get.

So wait, that's not really much of an answer. Are all the games going to have this issue? Because it makes it look like you're selling a display with a bunch of dead pixels. I assume it's a software problem, not hardware, isn't there something that could be explored to make it not look so broken?

Maybe those 8 pixels could take their color from the 9th pixel? On solid color stuff it would hide it perfectly, though I guess under some circumstances it could introduce a weird color glitch. But better than just always black and dead.

smartdmd-corner.jpgsmartdmd-corner.jpg

#185 9 years ago

It looks like you could trivially improve that on most screens by simply replicating the dots from the line below. Slightly more work, but also more accurate, would be to replace the first 16 bits, rather than 8, and look up the missing dots in a table.

#186 9 years ago

@aurich

yes this is how it works at the moment or forever

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So wait, that's not really much of an answer. Are all the games going to have this issue? Because it makes it look like you're selling a display with a bunch of dead pixels. I assume it's a software problem, not hardware, isn't there something that could be explored to make it not look so broken?
Maybe those 8 pixels could take their color from the 9th pixel? On solid color stuff it would hide it perfectly, though I guess under some circumstances it could introduce a weird color glitch. But better than just always black and dead.

Ok once you notice the lines it's very hard to ignore them.
Just like a dead pixel in a lcd monitor.

I guess it helps that you aren't looking at the dmd all the time while playing. Curious about the technical requirements that caused this ?

#188 9 years ago

what i know is.....

colordmd =
at the panel controller(pc) is a special version that knows this is for example AC DC

this technical way is patented by colordmd

smartdmd=
with this pixel the pc knows which palette should be now displaced
this is not a game specific thing or there is no game firmware at the pc
so no law problems but this dead pixels

#189 9 years ago

That would drive me crazy. I am careful with dead pixels on a monitor a couple these really gets to me also.

Quoted from Aurich:

smartdmd-corner.jpg 263 KB

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Sorry if I missed this, but are these going to work on W/B games? If so, will the profile fit in a CV? That is one game BEGGING for color that ColorDMD is just not able to accommodate.

PMD kits are designed for Stern machines only. We have a lot of other projects in the works, so I'm not sure when/if we’ll ever get to the B/W DMDs.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

That would drive me crazy. I am careful with dead pixels on a monitor a couple these really gets to me also.

Yeah, I have a dead pixel on my Retina 15" Macbook. Tiny pixels, just a little dot in the right hand side of the screen. And yet it drives me nuts.

This is at least a software problem, not hardware. But I'm getting the sense there's not going to be a fix for it.

#192 9 years ago

It would take literally minutes to try it with the second row copied up, or the 9th dot copied over. Also, if there's really only 32 different palettes then it should be easy to modify to only destroy 5 pixels, rather than 8.

EDIT: Sorry to sound like such an ass, it's still really cool, I just think this issue would be easy to mitigate.

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

It would take literally minutes to try it with the second row copied up, or the 9th dot copied over. Also, if there's really only 32 different palettes then it should be easy to modify to only destroy 5 pixels, rather than 8.
EDIT: Sorry to sound like such an ass, it's still really cool, I just think this issue would be easy to mitigate.

Please tell us how to do it if it's so easy?

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Please tell us how to do it if it's so easy?

Which part?

Choosing between 32 palettes requires 5 bits of data, so 5 dots could be used rather than 8 and leave the 3 as they originally were.

The data of the colorized picture is sitting in some array or memory block, where it is trivial to copy either the data at index 8 or the range from 128-135 to blocks 0-7. Or keep using the 3 bits from before and it could choose from the next row down, the 9th dot, the BG color, the FG color, or a mirror image of the last 8 dots in the other corner on a case by case basis.

#195 9 years ago

Great, problem solved then, thanks!

:/

#196 9 years ago

Oh my ulcer.. Those 8 dots are making me feel.....

well, like this:

Screenshot (378).pngScreenshot (378).png

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is at least a software problem, not hardware. But I'm getting the sense there's not going to be a fix for it.

What gives you that idea?

well, like this:

This is a mod that is purely cosmetic, and you have a competitor that colors those 8 dots. If I were in your shoes, I'd at least attempt to come up with a solution. Ridiculing critics that are trying to help you improve your product does not strike me as good practice.

#198 9 years ago

well, like this:

Screenshot (378).png 162 KB

Looks like those 8 dots are colored there.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

This is a mod that is purely cosmetic, and you have a competitor that colors those 8 dots. If I were in your shoes, I'd at least attempt to come up with a solution. Ridiculing critics that are trying to help you improve your product does not strike me as good practice.

Yeah, I don't really understand the attitude here. The video clearly shows the flaw, it's not like it's some hidden secret. Every single full screen animation in the video shows it. And yet Mike just seem really dismissive of me asking about it. "What you see is what you get." Okay?

It's a software problem, surely there's a solution. There have been suggestions in this thread for at least covering it up more so it doesn't look like the upper left hand corner of the displays is broken.

But I guess it's love or leave it.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like those 8 dots are colored there.

No, that yellow is the "transparent" color, you can see that in the palette. Not the actual background color, you won't see that yellow. I haven't used the software, but presumably you set a color that the program marks as transparent, and if there are other backgrounds or whatever the snake would appear over them.

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.