Topic Stats

• 499 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tytydell
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot (671).png
Angus #6.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #1.png
Angus Palette.png
34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

We decided not to force that limitation, so no worries. It will work either way.

Thanks! Sign me up for 1! (I also sent an email)

#452 4 years ago

It might work with the first generation units, but it won't on any future run.

Let me expand on my previous answer:

(1) I wouldn't try powering the Concert LCD MOD in conjunction with ANY colorized DMD powered off of the game's 5/12V circuit. You will overload the game and ultimately cause damage to your pinball machine's electronics. Keep in mind that Stern doesn't design their games for aftermarket pinball MODs. This is why we have a PS MOD to accommodate our LCD Concert MOD.

(2) Part of the upgraded software package we are working on for the LCD Concert MOD will enable it to interact with our upcoming SmartAudio system. This will require program modifications to the game's BIN file that our SmartDMD's are designed to handle.

Our MOD's are designed specifically to work in tandem.

#453 4 years ago

How much addition cost will be associated with the addition ps mod? Considering $500 for the LCD and $330.- + ship for the color DMD, I am curious!

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Which is a better product ? Any preference

Insert reference to 2 misc. fruit choices

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

How much addition cost will be associated with the addition ps mod? Considering $500 for the LCD and $330.- + ship for the color DMD, I am curious!

If you purchase an ACDC SmartDMD, I'll throw in the PS MOD for free. This goes for any customers that have already bought the LCD concert MOD. However, you'll still need to purchase a 5v and 12v adapter for the RPi and LCD driver boards (I'll provide you part #s and links to what is needed). The good new is that you have the first component of a SmartAudio system for free

Keep in mind the PS MOD is only for US machines at the moment.

#456 4 years ago

The complete installation manual is here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon#post-2044806

Nothing worse than technical writing - glad that's over.

#457 4 years ago

I have seen SmartAudio system mentioned a few times but still not certain what it does. I did a search and went to PinballMikeDs website but still no clue.

Anyone got a link or can give me a synopsis? Thanks

#458 4 years ago

SmartAudio is still being developed. That is why I haven't added any links on the website. The premise is simple though. It's an audio system that will allow users to replace sounds and songs with uncompressed high quality audio files (no time or file size restriction associated with PB). Like SmartDMD, it's designed with customization in mind, so you can play whatever you want. The hardware will include everything you need to upgrade your game's sound system as well (power amp, etc.).

#459 4 years ago

SmartAudio is still being developed. That is why I haven't added any links on the website. The premise is simple though. It's an audio system that will allow users to replace sounds and songs with uncompressed high quality audio files (no time or file size limits)

So this is separate from SmartDMD I assume since the pinballbrowser already allows you to do this with Stern code? Is this going to be similar to pinsound, and if so what platforms?
http://www.pinsound.org

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

So this is separate from SmartDMD I assume since the pinballbrowser already allows you to do this with Stern code? Is this going to be similar to pinsound, and if so what platforms?
http://www.pinsound.org

My entire collection (minus WOZ and Fathom) is comprised of Stern machines. All of our MODs will be focused on SAM machines, at first anyway.

#461 4 years ago

SmartAudio is still being developed. That is why I haven't added any links on the website. The premise is simple though. It's an audio system that will allow users to replace sounds and songs with uncompressed high quality audio files (no time or file size restriction associated with PB). Like SmartDMD, it's designed with customization in mind, so you can play whatever you want. The hardware will include everything you need to upgrade your game's sound system as well (power amp, etc.).

If you can provide high fidelity stereo music to my AC/DC, you will be my hero forever!

#462 4 years ago

Let me expand on my previous answer:
(1) I wouldn't try powering the Concert LCD MOD in conjunction with ANY colorized DMD powered off of the game's 5/12V circuit. You will overload the game and ultimately cause damage to your pinball machine's electronics. Keep in mind that Stern doesn't design their games for aftermarket pinball MODs. This is why we have a PS MOD to accommodate our LCD Concert MOD.
(2) Part of the upgraded software package we are working on for the LCD Concert MOD will enable it to interact with our upcoming SmartAudio system. This will require program modifications to the game's BIN file that our SmartDMD's are designed to handle.
Our MOD's are designed specifically to work in tandem.

What's a PS mod? Also why would the 1st gen LCD concert mod work with another color DMD but not 2nd gen LCD concert mod?

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If you can provide high fidelity stereo music to my AC/DC, you will be my hero forever!

We aim to please

Quoted from Concretehardt:

What's a PS mod? Also why would the 1st gen LCD concert mod work with another color DMD but not 2nd gen LCD concert mod?

When the next update for the concert MOD is released (which will be free - like all our MOD updates) the software will be tweaked for a variety of new products coming down the pipe. This will require some significant changes to the game's source code. Updating the MOD will move it to 2nd GEN status. Remember, we aren't' just DMD guys. We are working on a product platform to support audio, DMDs, interactive LCDs, lighting upgrades, etc. Worse case scenario you move your CDMD to a different game.

#464 4 years ago

We aim to please

When the next update for the concert MOD is released (which will be free - like all our MOD updates) the software will be tweaked for a variety of new products coming down the pipe. This will require some significant changes to the game's source code. Updating the MOD will move it to 2nd GEN status. Remember, we aren't' just DMD guys. We are working on a product platform to support audio, DMDs, interactive LCDs, lighting upgrades, etc. Worse case scenario you move your CDMD to a different game.

Maybe adding a 2nd gen update for people who purchased the LCD mod but aren't interested in the Audio mod and would like to use another color dmd would be a courteous option.

#465 4 years ago

I would love it if MikeD would make a mod that replaces the translite with a large lcd that animates the game. For instance; on TSPP the large lcd would display video of the simpsons while still relating the activities happening on the playfield like extra ball or ball lock. Similar to WOZ.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I would love it if MikeD would make a mod that replaces the translite with a large lcd that animates the game. For instance; on TSPP the large lcd would display video of The Simpsons while still relating the activities happening on the playfield like extra ball or ball lock. Similar to WOZ.

I think hes hinted at that before.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I would love it if MikeD would make a mod that replaces the translite with a large lcd that animates the game. For instance; on TSPP the large lcd would display video of The Simpsons while still relating the activities happening on the playfield like extra ball or ball lock. Similar to WOZ.

A game like SM would be the best candidate for something like that, especially since the DMD animations are the main thing lacking in that game. Doing such a huge transformation of a pin could be too expensive for most game owners to stomach.

#468 4 years ago

Hey MikeD -

I'm not meaning to put you on the spot, so feel free to pass on answering this question:

I'm intrigued by adding a colorized DMD to my AC/DC...and both your product and the product offered by ColorDMD look good.

I guess what I'm wondering is: What's the primary differences between your DMD product and the product being released by colorDMD?

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Hey MikeD -
I'm not meaning to put you on the spot, so feel free to pass on answering this question:
I'm intrigued by adding a colorized DMD to my AC/DC...and both your product and the product offered by ColorDMD look good.
I guess what I'm wondering is: What's the primary differences between your DMD product and the product being released by colorDMD?

Mike answered your question in this thread. Based on what I recall reading (this thread is long), PMD is offering a product that is more extensible (i.e. you can fiddle with the colors) and integrates with existing and forthcoming PMD products (LCD and SmartAudio).

#470 4 years ago

Okay, I'll go back and sift through the thread...

Mike, no need to re-answer!

#471 4 years ago

PB is the backbone for our upcoming LCD backglass kits as well.
/blockquote>

Elaborate

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Hey MikeD -

For starter, how about the price point, nothing like saving a few bucks right

SmartDMD, like all of the other PMD products, is highly customizable. Here are some specifics:

Dot shape/size – Each dot is built using 64 pixels in an 8x8 array. You have the ability to turn each pixel on or off, so you can customize the shape of your pixels. You can make them squares, checkerboards, diamonds, circles, X’s, smiley faces, or what every you want.

Color palettes – SmartDMD utilizes “color palettes” to assign colors to each frame in the BIN file. Each palette can be configured with up to 16 unique colors (here the options are endless). Then each frame in an animation can have its own unique color palette.

I’m a perfectionist, which means I’m never really satisfied with anything I do. Sounds terrible right? Well, the good news for PMD customers is that I never stop tinkering and trying to improve my products. So, for ACDC we’re working on creating a color palette for every unique animation (where it makes since anyway). I can’t guarantee we’ll get them all, but we’ll push the software to the absolute limit.

Ok, so what does that mean?

Imagine having the ability to independently customize the dot colors for every animation used in the game? Maybe you want to make all the flames blue to match your BIB LE cabinet art. Maybe you want to make the sky purple for all the Warmachine animations. Maybe you want to make Angus have dark red skin like the devil. You get the idea. SmartDMD can do this with a few simple mouse clicks. You don't have to redraw anything - think paint by numbers.

Upscaling – SmartDMD offers 3 different types of Upscaling (2x, 16x, and Anti-aliasing). FYI, we are working on more Upscaling options as well. Remember, Pinball Browser is always improving, so the features/capabilities will only grow with time and any software updates will ALWAYS be free. Anyway, the problem with upscaling is that algorithms always to the same thing no matter what. Computers can't think like people and they don't have preferences. The end result is that some animations look great in 16x while some animations just look like crap. That is why we give you the ability to assign upscaling directly to a color palette. You get to decide what you want, so SDMD isn't a "one size fits all" solution. Once we’re done, you’ll have the ability to assign standard dots, 2x, 16x or Anti-aliasing upscaling to specific animations as you see fit.

Another important thing to remember is that PMD isn’t just a DMD company. We are a pinball modding company that happens to do restoration work as well. FYI - we are currently working on 5 different MODs for ACDC (colorized DMD, custom audio system, lighting effects system, and 2 different interactive LCD systems). Our MODs are all designed to work in conjunction with each other. All 5 ACDC MODs require modifications to the game’s software. We have one master version of the game code, in which we unlock features based on which products you’ve purchase. I can’t guarantee our MODs will play nicely with other people’s products. I can guarantee you that our MODs will play nicely with each other.

I hope this answers your question.

I'll post some pics this evening showing how the palette colors can drastically change/customize your DMDs appearance.

#473 4 years ago

I am looking forward to the Metallica release on both platforms. The one thing I am liking about yours is the color pallette option. Ex... my Sparky is green would be cool if he was green on the DMD as well Sounds like you are saying this wont take me long at all!?

At the end of the day if your colorization work is as good as CDMD then I being a techy kinda guy am liking the customization options. Would be really cool if someone could post some comparisons of similar frames.

By the way not trying to make this a competitive thing but fact is I will have 2 choices!

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

I am looking forward to the Metallica release on both platforms. The one thing I am liking about yours is the color pallette option. Ex... my Sparky is green would be cool if he was green on the DMD as well Sounds like you are saying this wont take me long at all!?
At the end of the day if your colorization work is as good as CDMD then I being a techy kinda guy am liking the customization options. Would be really cool if someone could post some comparisons of similar frames.
By the way not trying to make this a competitive thing but fact is I will have 2 choices!

I'm in the same boat...love the customization features, but want the "out of the box" colorization to be awesome. Don't want to be forced to customize/finish frames that aren't polished...

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm in the same boat...love the customization features, but want the "out of the box" colorization to be awesome. Don't want to be forced to customize/finish frames that aren't polished...

Guess we will have to be patient Steve

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm sure there's no intention of putting things out unfinished. Hell, making the palette setup such that it's simple to change colors in specific sections of the game (if you choose to) is MORE work.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

You’ll get an “out of the box” product (the current promo video shows that). With that said, I’ve recruited the help of some other guys to assist in tweaking certain sequences, so it will only get better. The key is to optimize the palette usage in order to maximize the customization capabilities. I understand customers want a finished product, but it doesn’t hurt to give people the ability to tweak the colors and yes it’s pretty simple to modify colors.

It’s funny I just had a conversation the other day about custom colored Sparky’s

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm sure there's no intention of putting things out unfinished. Hell, making the palette setup such that it's simple to change colors in specific sections of the game (if you choose to) is MORE work.

Making a product customizable and making a product beautiful are two different skills sets...it's not about MORE per se.

Didn't mean to imply Mike's intention is to release an unfinished product (just speaking from vast experience in the tech industry where I've seen companies tradeoff between configurability and beauty/ease-of-use).

fwiw, I'm a huge fan/supporter...own a PMD restoration and look forward to his mods. The AC/DC LCD is great. Even his installation manuals are well done! The SmartDMD Installation manual is an impressive 37 page document...

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

(just speaking from vast experience in the tech industry where I've seen companies tradeoff between configurability and beauty/ease-of-use).

I am thinking iPhone vs Android here Steve haha

#480 4 years ago

Well, I know I've mentioned the palette adjustment feature several times now, but I think a picture demonstration might help clear things up.

As I mentioned before, I'm going back and adjusting how the palette colors are used in each key animated sequence. This gives you the ability to adjust your colors as shown below:

Angus Palette.png

You just pick your colors and presto:

Angus #1.png
Angus #2.png
Angus #3.png
Angus #4.png
Angus #5.png
Angus #6.png

Pretty powerful right? I like the Back-In-Black blue flames

This is what SDMD is all about.

To clarify, adjusting the palette colors addresses every frame in the sequence. Eventually, I'll provide a color map for all the animations as well; this way you know what colors are used for specific objects in each sequence.

#481 4 years ago

Man I really like this feature !

Can you post a few HQ photos of some frames in ACDC? I think some of what's out there may not be doing your product justice.

#482 4 years ago

Mike can you explain the difference here between predefined palettes and individual frames? using the example above versus the symbols in metallica (snake, cross, switch, coffin)

#483 4 years ago

The predefined palettes are applied to individual frames, this method is useful if you have an animation that is similar but moves (ie the Pirate swordfight in POTC) I set one palette for that entire animation and only make small adjustments to the individual frames. The other way to do this is to go and manually change each individual color frame by frame.

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Man I really like this feature !
Can you post a few HQ photos of some frames in ACDC? I think some of what's out there may not be doing your product justice.

I love competition it just motivates me to make a better product.

Screenshot (671).png

#485 4 years ago

Ok so in the above example for metallica it sounds like that animation sequence (where it adds up the hits to the snake, coffin captive ball, tombstones, and spsrky) might be left as one color, if so, we wouldn't be able to change it but would have to do it ourselves doing our own animation, correct? Also thanks for clarifying

#486 4 years ago

Mike if you can find the frame from that GIF I made with the girls I'm happy to update my comparison graphic, because I see that you've added dirt etc. Trying to keep things fair, but it's hard to keep up!

Also, can you confirm something so I have my facts right: I totally get the palette swapping idea, your pictures above make it really clear. And I get changing the dot mask and upscaling too.

But you can't go in and edit the individual dots on your releases right? They're closed to that level of editing, aside from the customization features you allow. Do I have that right? It's what I've been saying, but people weren't sure I was right, so just want to make sure I'm getting that correct so I'm not misleading anyone.

Like stupid example: If I bought your ACDC release and wanted the 666 numbers on the sign to be blue, then orange, then brown, each one a different color, you can't change that. You can only change the single color that they already are.

#487 4 years ago

First one to give angus animated flashing technicolor dream coat wins a cookie!

#488 4 years ago

I love completion it just motivates me to make a better product.
Screenshot (671).png (Click image to enlarge)

I think you mean competition But I like completion as well, like game code

That looks much better !

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

I think you mean competition But I like completion as well, like game code
That looks much better !

Damn spel chek quit working again.... Oh, wait that's grammar check

#490 4 years ago

How will you inform us about updates ?? Newsletter ??

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

How will you inform us about updates ?? Newsletter ??

I'll talk to my website guy and see what it take to get that setup. In the meantime I'll post when updates are available.

#492 4 years ago

I’ve decided to make my ACDC LE color file free to anyone that wants it (regardless of whether you buy a PMD SDMD kit or simply build your own). We’ll modify the Pinball Browser macro to accommodate the Pro version of the game later this week. Now each individual frame can be modified and tweaked however you see fit. My only request is that if you decided to modify my ACDC macro, you keep it free and pay it forward for all to enjoy.

I have a few friends working on some specific sequences for ACDC; once those animations are ready I’ll integrate them into my macro for all to enjoy.

We are actively working on some new PB features that will make the software much more powerful, opening up new capabilities previously unsupported. Once these software enhancements are made public I’ll put together a free YouTube video series documenting how PB can be used to colorize a Stern SAM machine.

Thanks to everyone who supported this effort along the way.

#493 4 years ago

Anything already arranged for european customers?

#494 4 years ago

No not yet. I’ve been too busy with everything else. Once things slow down we’ll look into that.

1 month later
#495 4 years ago

Ok, this thread was on fire....now, not so much.

I just bought my AC/DC Pro and ready to buy one and when I went to his site, its says out of stock ?

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from 1452spunky:

Ok, this thread was on fire....now, not so much.
I just bought my AC/DC Pro and ready to buy one and when I went to his site, its says out of stock ?

Just got a shipment of driver boards in yesterday, so I'll be building kits this week. Shoot me an email and we'll work out the details.

mike@pinballmiked.com

#497 4 years ago

Great to hear mike. I'm really looking forward to see more of these in people's hands and new vids / pics of how they look. Hoping we see some for ACDC and met at pagg

#498 4 years ago

Unfortunately, due to my increasing work load outside of pinball I will no longer be able to assemble “turnkey” SmartDMD kits. However, I will continue to offer “DIY” kits for folks interested in building their own SmartDMD systems. DIY kits are available for $199 + shipping and include everything minus the LCD screen and driver board.

The screen and driver board can be purchased on EBay for roughly $100, this includes free shipping.

For more details on SmartDMD, including assembly instructions and software tutorials, please read this thread (moving forward this is where I’ll provided SDMD updates):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-everything-you-need-to-know

My ACDC color file (this goes for Avengers, MET, and POTC as well) is free to anyone that already owns or wants to build a SDMD kit. If you want to purchase a DIY kit please email me directly at:

mike@pinballmiked.com

Thanks for the continued support.

7 months later
#499 3 years ago

Where do I get the patcher

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside