34.png
32.png
33.png
35.png
31.png
24.png
23.png
26.png
There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 9 years ago

I'm pleased to announce that PMD and Oga83 have partnered on a new venture - "SmartDMD." This is a colorized LCD kit package that will replace traditional dot matrix displays in modern SAM Stern Pinball machines.

Please contact me directly for purchasing questions.

SmartDMD kits will retail for $199 + shipping and will include the following items:

(1) Raspberry Pi B+
(2) Preprogrammed 8GB micro SD card
(3) Custom SmartDMD Interface board
(4) Professional ¼” laser cut black acrylic mounting hardware
(5) Licensed copy of Pinball Browser software
(6) Professional quality power wiring harness
(7) Complete colorized ACDC code

You must purchase your own LCD and driver board:

(1) 15.6” Full HD LG/Philips compatable color LCD display

ebay.com link: itm

(2) LCD driver board with HDMI source input

ebay.com link: itm

Here's a look at what SmartDMD can do:

#2 9 years ago

Questions/Answers:

(1) Do you have a manual for this product?

We are currently working on an installation manual for this MOD. It will contain detailed instructions and high resolution pictures illustrating every step of the installation process. An electronic copy of the manual will be included with the MOD. In addition, screen shots of the manual will be posted in this thread.

(2) Is the MOD reversible and can the hardware be moved from one game to another.

Yes, the MOD is 100% reversible, so it can be moved from game to game if desired.

(3) How do I know which kit to order?

When ordering a kit it is important to order the right one. PMD SDMD Kits will be offered in two styles: traditional speaker panel and angled speaker panel. Newer games like ST, Mustang, and TWD use the angled speaker panel. Older games like SM, Tron, and Avengers use the traditional speaker panel. Also, make sure you don’t order the Prem/LE kit if you own a pro or vice versa.

(4) What will happen when I install this MOD if I’ve already altered my game’s BIN file using Pinball Browser?

For a PMD “pre-colorized” SDMD kit to function correctly, you must patch a stock BIN file with our custom color file. After upgrading a BIN file, adding the SDMD colorization, Pinball Browser will no longer be able to access the frames via the Display tab. Don’t worry, you can still make audio adjustments and tweak song names. However, these changes must be made after the colorization patch is installed.

(5) Do I need Pinball Browser to install this MOD?

No… The MOD will be provided with a mico SD card containing a custom utility program (Patcher.exe) used to modify stock BIN files. The patching process is extremely simple and only takes a few seconds to execute. It will take you longer to download the BIN file from Stern’s website Don’t worry; this will be covered in detail in the installation manual. FYI – I’ve tested Patcher.exe on the following operating systems: Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What makes SDMD so powerful are all the features built into Pinball Browser. So, yes you can install this MOD without PB, but you won’t be able to customize your DMD: change the dot shape/size, adjust the color palettes settings, override the upscaling parameters, etc.

(6) Do I need a PC to install a PMD SDMD kit?

No… You can use a Mac running OS X with bspatch. More info here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/bspatch.1.html

(7) Will this MOD work with my ACDC Interactive LCD Concert MOD?

Yes, the serial communication patch is included in our color file. However, both MODs were designed to pull power from the same circuit in the pinball machine. To properly power both MODs simultaneously you’ll need our PS MOD. This insures we don’t tax the games 12 and 5 VDC circuits. I’ll post some pictures of this later this evening.

#3 9 years ago

Here's a copy of the Installation Manual:

1.png1.png
2.png2.png
3.png3.png
4.png4.png
5.png5.png
6.png6.png
7.png7.png
8.png8.png
9.png9.png
10.png10.png
11.png11.png
12.png12.png
13.png13.png
14.png14.png
15.png15.png
16.png16.png
17.png17.png
18.png18.png
19.png19.png
20.png20.png
21.png21.png
22.png22.png
23.png23.png
22.png22.png
23.png23.png
24.png24.png
25.png25.png
26.png26.png
27.png27.png
28.png28.png
29.png29.png
30.png30.png
31.png31.png
32.png32.png
33.png33.png
34.png34.png
35.png35.png

#4 9 years ago

What does colorized mean? Palette swaps? Hand colored? Are you distributing colorization macros? Presumably not modified ROMs.

#5 9 years ago

Looks promising. Is this going to be four colors where the user selects the colors?

When it hits the market, will it be useful for all SAM games or will it be dependent on a game-by-game release of game specific software?

#6 9 years ago

Sweet...any idea of price?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What does colorized mean? Palette swaps? Hand colored? Are you distributing colorization macros? Presumably not modified ROMs.

Our release strategy is multi-staged.

For starters we will simply be providing a hardware package that will work in conjunction with Oga's SmartDMD software. This will included the following: LCD screen, driver board, RPi, game interface board, power cables, a licensed copy of PB software, and all the hardware/cabling needed to install the MOD. Everything in one clean package.

With that said, Barb (the artist responsible for most of the artwork featured on our CFTBL LCD MOD) is currently working on the colorization of several specific game titles.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Is this going to be four colors where the user selects the colors?
When it hits the market, will it be useful for all SAM games or will it be dependent on a game-by-game release of game specific software?

SmartDMD provides color pallets with up to 16 different colors. Plus, you can create multiple pallets, so the possibles are endless.

#8 9 years ago

#9 9 years ago

Will SM be one of the titles that you plan to be working on sooner rather than later?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Sweet...any idea of price?

We have a target price in mind. It will be more cost friendly compared to other alternative systems.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

We have a target price in mind. It will be more cost friendly compared to other alternative systems.

Would you like to hear our opinions on a sweet spot for price?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Will SM be one of the titles that you plan to be working on sooner rather than later?

SM is in the works, but for a different MOD. Something more ambitious.

#14 9 years ago

Our release strategy is multi-staged.

For starters we will simply be providing a hardware package that will work in conjunction with Oga's SmartDMD software. This will included the following: LCD screen, driver board, RPi, game interface board, our universal power supply, a licensed copy of PB software, and all the hardware/cabling needed to install the MOD. Everything in one clean package.

With that said, Barb (the artist responsible for most of the artwork featured on our CFTBL LCD MOD) is currently working on the colorization of several specific game titles.

The first stage is great Mike but I'm not gonna be able to "colorize" my own title! Need Barb too....

For a tech dummy like myself, the difference between this and "color dmd" is that this is an LCD screen with much more color capabilities and screen clarity?

#15 9 years ago

Any chance you can step up the display quality so it has a nice black level? I like ColorDMD but the grey glow of the blacks make it look a bit washed.

#16 9 years ago

Interesting to see what the price will be..

#17 9 years ago

Interesting until the actual price is released.....

#18 9 years ago

SmartDMD provides color pallets with up to 16 different colors. Plus, you can create multiple pallets

How often can you change pallets? Every separate DMD animation?

You should start finding volunteers to colorize titles like colorDMD does.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

There is a limit to the number of color pallets you can use, but I haven't reached it yet (I believe it is 32). Yes, you can define a separate pallet for each frame, so you aren't limited to just 16 colors for the whole game - just 16 colors per frame.

We have reached out to several individuals, so that's in the works.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Any chance you can step up the display quality so it has a nice black level? I like ColorDMD but the grey glow of the blacks make it look a bit washed.

Possibly, but this is an inherent issue with LCD technology in general.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I haven't used the software yet, so someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe it's technically 15 colors, and the 16th slot is used to store the pallet pointer.

#22 9 years ago

I just want my two pins, IM and TAVLE to be colorized. I have ColorDmds in both both if this kit does just that, I'll support it with my wallet.

#23 9 years ago

cool product Mike, well done.

Is it a custom dmd lcd in size or regular shape larger in height lcd

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

cool product Mike, well done.
Is it a custom dmd lcd in size or regular shape larger in height lcd

It will use a 15" LCD monitor

#25 9 years ago

so what's the price of the kit?

#26 9 years ago

Awesome! I was just thinking about ordering a Smart DMD thing. Love that there will be a package. Quick question: is it possible to do a LCD screen on the DMD and also an smaller apron LCD?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Awesome! I was just thinking about ordering a Smart DMD thing. Love that there will be a package. Quick question: is it possible to do a LCD screen on the DMD and also an smaller apron LCD?

Not sure, haven't tried that yet.

#28 9 years ago

Exciting....Will be watching for them....

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from splitskull:

so what's the price of the kit?

I'll have an answer to this question in a few more weeks. At this point all I can say is that it will be significantly less than $400 for the base system.

#30 9 years ago

Will the colored rom cost extra if you buy a kit?

#31 9 years ago

Very interested. How does this product differ from ColorDMD?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

That's what I'm trying to figure out without wading through 100's of posts!

#33 9 years ago

Colordmd works with Williams and stern, looking at the frames of dots as the signal goes by to decide how to apply color.

Smartdmd can display Williams (and others I think) and assign simple colors to the brightness levels. With stern it can use color data stored in the rom via pinball browser to do full color display.

/crude description ends here

#34 9 years ago

"SmartDMD" is a feature within Pinball Browser; it's a software package that allows pinheads to customize their DMD animations. It can be as simple as a single color display (like a Blue Tron DMD or Green Avengers DMD) or as elaborate as a completely custom colorized display (like the animations featured in the promo video). The "SmartDMD LCD Kit" is a hardware/software package that gives people a professional finished system to install in their Stern SAM games. Where you go from their is limited only by your own imagination.

With that said, we understand that many guys will just want to purchase a per-colorized kit out of the box. This will of course be an option as well, but it all depends on what games we (or others) want to colorize. Like the CFTBL and ACDC LCD MODs, we wanted to create a MOD that can be modded

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Colordmd works with Williams and stern, looking at the frames of dots as the signal goes by to decide how to apply color.
Smartdmd can display Williams (and others I think) and assign simple colors to the brightness levels. With stern it can use color data stored in the rom via pinball browser to do full color display.

Not Bad

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

thanks for the explanation

#37 9 years ago

Looking forward to more info. I've seen the color animations on met while playing with browser cool stuff

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't used the software yet, so someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe it's technically 15 colors, and the 16th slot is used to store the pallet pointer.

It's 16 colors / pallet

#39 9 years ago

but it all depends on what games we (or others) want to colorize

I am asking because I don't know, but if you are using the pinball browser to edit the color information, aren't you essentially modifying the game code, or is it coloring it in real time like the ColorDMD? If it is the former I can't see the license holders liking it too much.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

aren't you essentially modifying the game code

If people are baking their own cookies, not much the flour manufacturer can do about it.

Just like in the days of SNES emulation craziness.....sending out a text file that Pinball Browser can use to modify the data in your own ROM = Kosher.

Sending out the already modified rom = Not Kosher.

#42 9 years ago

can this be used in a B/W?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

can this be used in a B/W?

+1 (wondering as well)

#44 9 years ago

Is this the product that can also output the DMD data to a TV while simultaneously?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If people are baking their own cookies, not much the flour manufacturer can do about it.

Right, I was just going by the part I quoted where he said "we" as far as colorization.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

It's 16 colors / pallet

Where are you storing the pallet pointer? Is that why the upper left pixel of the display looks like it's missing sometimes?

#47 9 years ago

Right after ColorDMD starts doing Sterns.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

ColorDMD is doing Sterns. ???

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

ColorDMD is doing Sterns. ???

They just released the LOTR ROM.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They just released the LOTR ROM.

I know. Should have put the question marks first.

Quoted from DarkWizard:

^^^??? ColorDMD is doing Sterns.

There are 499 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-smartdmd-kits-coming-soon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.