IMG_0887 (resized).jpg
IMG_0884 (resized).jpg
IMG_0782 (resized).jpg
IMG_0781 (resized).jpg
IMG_0779 (resized).jpg
IMG_0778 (resized).jpg
IMG_0777 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Life has been hectic for me this past year, but I'm happy to say it appears to be settling back down - for the moment anyway

The point is, I'm ready to start some new pinball restoration projects. Rather than creating individual threads for each machine, I thought it would be cooler to document everything in one place. So, here are my next 3 projects:

Restoration_Projects_(resized).JPGRestoration_Projects_(resized).JPG

Hopefully I can tackle all of them in 2016

#6 7 years ago

Medusa - time to start the tear down

Quoted from thedefog:

Your idea of projects is like my idea of great condition

Don't worry. She certainly needs some TLC, just take a look at the playfield:

Original_Playfield_#1_(resized).jpgOriginal_Playfield_#1_(resized).jpg
Original_Playfield_#2_(resized).jpgOriginal_Playfield_#2_(resized).jpg

The planking is pretty bad, making this playfield a poor restoration candidate. Thank goodness for CPR right

This is a gold edition PF. It's very nice, but it isn't perfect. Take a look at some of the inserts:

5x_Insert_(resized).JPG5x_Insert_(resized).JPG
Gorgon_Insert_(resized).JPGGorgon_Insert_(resized).JPG
80_Insert_(resized).JPG80_Insert_(resized).JPG

I've seen this happen to several reproduction playfields (maybe I just have bad luck). For example, I purchased a beautiful TAF IPB repro a few years back; stashed it away for 6 months only to find the inserts had shifted. If left unrepaired these cracks in the clear coat could become a real problem, so this playfield will need some touch ups.

#7 7 years ago

My assistant is working on removing all the plastics

Junior_Restoration_Queen_(resized).jpgJunior_Restoration_Queen_(resized).jpg

Not bad for her first tear down....

Topside_Tear_Down_(resized).jpgTopside_Tear_Down_(resized).jpg

Now I'll remove the playfield, but first I need to get some rest - I do sleep Tbgolfen, sometimes

#8 7 years ago

Not much of an update, but I did managed to get the playfield removed today. I even came up with a new use for a sprinkler head

Sprinkler_Head_Playfield_Supports_(resized).pngSprinkler_Head_Playfield_Supports_(resized).png

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Can I have the old medusa playfield for wall art?
Great projects, I can't wait to see the progress on these!

I don't know, it might look better on my wall

#12 7 years ago

I removed the playfield harness this evening after spending a few hours sketching everything up. On these older Bally machines I find it beneficial to draw a road map

Here are some examples:

Lighting_Sketch_#1_(resized).pngLighting_Sketch_#1_(resized).png
Lighting_Sketch_#2_(resized).pngLighting_Sketch_#2_(resized).png

Hooray, the filthy harness is gone....

PF_-_Coil_Mechs._(resized).pngPF_-_Coil_Mechs._(resized).png

All of the coil mechs are ready for tear down. That zipper flipper assembly is pretty slick, well done Bally.

PF_-_Coil_Mechs._#2_(resized).pngPF_-_Coil_Mechs._#2_(resized).png

#13 7 years ago

At this point I can set the playfield aside. I'll be replacing all the 555s with new 44 light sockets. I'm not 100%, but leaning towards all new switches as well. So, as it sits, the playfield is the prefect road map for all the ground braid wiring and lamp/switch layout

Road_Map_(resized).pngRoad_Map_(resized).png

#16 7 years ago

Working on the weekend sucks..... unless you can wash your nasty pinball harnesses at work

This thing is coated in crap.
Dirty_Harness_(resized).JPGDirty_Harness_(resized).JPG

We have an industrial parts washer, so what the hell right? It cleans using a 180F water/soap solution.

Washer_(resized).JPGWasher_(resized).JPG
Go_For_It_(resized).JPGGo_For_It_(resized).JPG

After a couple wash cycles, which are only 2 minutes a piece, here's a close up of the harness:

Caked_Up_Dirt_(resized).JPGCaked_Up_Dirt_(resized).JPG

90% of the dirt is gone, but the coil leads are still pretty filthy.

Time to tumble with Simple Green and hot tap water:

Tumbling_(resized).pngTumbling_(resized).png

After an hour here's what you'll get:

Sort_of_Clean_Harness_(resized).JPGSort_of_Clean_Harness_(resized).JPG

Better, but not what I'm settling for. Medusa is one dirt...........

Sometimes you can't beat a little elbow grease. At least I got to try something new today

#18 7 years ago

I got the coin door disassembled this afternoon. It's in very good condition, when you consider the age of the machine.

Coin_door_#1_(resized).pngCoin_door_#1_(resized).png
Coin_door_#2_(resized).pngCoin_door_#2_(resized).png

I've had several people email me and ask, "What parts do you plate vs. power, and which items do you tumble?"

First of all, I'm not really keen on tumbling much of anything. Yes, you can make parts look great by tumbling them, but if the original zinc coating is compromised then it's only a matter of time before corrosion will return. Plating/painting/powering are my preferred solutions, as these are permanent fixes. So, here are the coin door parts I have power coated:

Powdered_parts_(resized).pngPowdered_parts_(resized).png

The rest of the parts will get re-plated (minus the hardware, which I sand blast and repaint):

Plated_parts_(resized).pngPlated_parts_(resized).png

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Are you going to chrome plate the coin door or just buff it up to pristine condition?
Yves

I don’t spend much time buffing parts anymore. The coin door will get plated, just not sure what direction I’m going with yet

#21 7 years ago

I love creative people

Spray_Painted_Target_(resized).pngSpray_Painted_Target_(resized).png

Painted target faces, too funny.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

If you only had a matching set you could use them on the restore.

Anything is possible....

#24 7 years ago

Coil assemblies are broken down and ready for cleaning:

Coil_Assembly_Parts_(resized).pngCoil_Assembly_Parts_(resized).png

Time to drop these parts off for power coating:

Powered_Parts_(resized).pngPowered_Parts_(resized).png

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I need to find someone locally, who can do that without taking my arm and my leg.
Yves

$75 for everything on the bottom of the playfield. You should shop your power needs around.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

$75 and he provides the powder? Is it a custom Color? $75 seems cheap.
Bob

Prismatic Metallic Gold

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PMS-6374/GOLD-METALLIC/?gclid=CN_awuilsM0CFc8lgQodKXgDiA

#29 7 years ago

For Father's Day my wife let me work in the garage all day. Oh, and she bought me some beer - best wife ever

Beer_-_the_answer_to_all_problems_in_life_(resized).pngBeer_-_the_answer_to_all_problems_in_life_(resized).png

I got the cabinet and backbox stripped down:

Fire_Wood_(resized).pngFire_Wood_(resized).png

The cabinet is pretty rough and would need a new bottom and back, but it's salvageable. Hey, what are these pellets?

Pellets?_(resized).pngPellets?_(resized).png
Cab_Damage_(resized).pngCab_Damage_(resized).png

Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to start with a new cabinet

#30 7 years ago

My wallet feels lighter and these parts haven't even been shipped out for plating work.

Plating_Work_(resized).pngPlating_Work_(resized).png

#34 7 years ago

Damn you move fast. Took me 8 Months to do a Funhouse PF swap.
It's great to see SOMEBODY moving forward...
BTW - Need any target faces?
Bob

Don’t worry I’ll start slowing down now that the tear down is complete. Yes, I will need some translucent targets for the 7 target drop bank assembly

Quoted from Arcane:

Since you will be re-painting it which color are you going to use? Will it be more red, or will you keep the wine color? I wish the original color/hue could be clearly indicated somewhere (in the same way that cars have color codes).
Are you going to use Pinball Pimp stencils or go with a completely different design as you did for Fathom?
The plating bill will be interesting..... Pellets? I would say cockroaches....big ones. Mice would have peed and made more mess. Isn't it a beautiful world?
Yves

The artwork will be custom, similar to Fathom. I may use Jeff’s stencils as a starting point – not sure yet. I know the color scheme will be red and gold, mimicking the back glass. It should really pop with all the mirrored brass.

I did find some big roach eggs under the transformer

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm sure this game will end up just awesome Mike, as with every pin I've watched you restore on here.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I will say if I infused beer into the mix while working on a game, especially disassembly, it would definitely slow up the process...and I'd end up with a bag of parts saying "Where the hell did this stuff come from?"

That may happen, but if it does...... the beer helps

#38 7 years ago

Prior to plating, it's always prudent to re-shape any bent/beat-up parts.

Before:
Bent_(resized).JPGBent_(resized).JPG

After:
Unbent_(resized).JPGUnbent_(resized).JPG

Nothing a vise and hammer can't fix It seems like the coin door parts are always in need of a pounding.

The ball guides were originally plated, so they'll get re-chromed. I'll remove all the riveted parts and up-size the mounting holes in order to accommodate the larger 1/8" rivets commonly used on contemporary machines.

Ball_Guide_(resized).JPGBall_Guide_(resized).JPG

#39 7 years ago

Need any target faces?

Hi Bob,

I got the target faces yesterday. You're the man

Thanks again.

#41 7 years ago

It's time to build a new cabinet, but first we'll need to disassembly the original

Teardown_(resized).JPGTeardown_(resized).JPG

Here's the top section:

Cabinet_top_(resized).JPGCabinet_top_(resized).JPG

Who says factory original is better than new? I guess Bally re-purposed a different cabinet for this Medusa

2_shooter_holes_(resized).JPG2_shooter_holes_(resized).JPG

Here's a better look from the back of the front panel (Oops, lets move the cutout for the shooter rod down a few inches):

Shooter_hole_relocated_(resized).JPGShooter_hole_relocated_(resized).JPG

This cabinet was beat - dry rotten, water damaged, and filled with roach droppings. Yuck.....

But, this will make for a great template moving forward. Now we'll know exactly how to tackle the corner joints, mortises, and dados

Sides_(resized).JPGSides_(resized).JPG
Floor_(resized).JPGFloor_(resized).JPG

Now the fun can begin...

1 week later
#43 7 years ago

For the cabinet I decided to go with 3/4" five ply poplar. One 4'x8' sheet is more than enough material to build all of the cabinet walls and interior supports.

4x8_sheet_of_plywood_(resized).JPG4x8_sheet_of_plywood_(resized).JPG

Everyone loves Festool sanders, but here's an even cooler tool - TS 75 EQ Plunge Cut Track Circular Saw:

Track_Saw_(resized).JPGTrack_Saw_(resized).JPG

Track saws are great and Festool's TS 75 is the best one I've ever used. This guy comes in handy

After getting the 4'x8' sheet cut into 2 sections, now it's time to break out the table saw:

Table_Saw_(resized).JPGTable_Saw_(resized).JPG

This Rigid setup is great and the price is right at $499. My buddy Mike W. and I will make all the rough cuts at this point. We'll layout each piece, leaving roughly a 1/2" of spare material on all sides. This way we can cut all four side down to ensure good square corner.

Here's a good detail to mention - the face of the machine is beveled at the top (where the playfield glass slides in and out):

Beveled_Face_(resized).JPGBeveled_Face_(resized).JPG

Nothing an angle finder can't cure

Angle_Finder_(resized).JPGAngle_Finder_(resized).JPG

So, the top front face of the cabinet will need to be cut with a 94 degree angle.

4_degree_angle_cut_(resized).JPG4_degree_angle_cut_(resized).JPG

Nothing to it. Good tools make all the difference

#44 7 years ago

Here's where a track saw really comes in handy:

Cabinet_Sides_(resized).JPGCabinet_Sides_(resized).JPG

Stack the new left and right side pieces on top of each other and trace out the desired top cabinet angle. Then layout the track saw and cut both boards at the same time:

Cutting_the_sides_(resized).JPGCutting_the_sides_(resized).JPG

Now trim the front square and presto - we have to matching sides

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Digging the track saw. I can see that coming in handy.

The real fun will be all the routing work. Festool has a great setup for that as well.

#48 7 years ago

Picked up a few more pins today, so the restoration queue is growing. Not sure I'll be able to tackle all of these in 2016, but you never know

New_Pins_(resized).JPGNew_Pins_(resized).JPG

I know I know, when am I going to patch those holes in the wall...... Man you guys sound like my wife

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I think that air filter needs some attention as well. Maybe you could install it, find a better place to store it, or dispose of it. Looks a little cluttered in that corner. Just saying.

That's it.... Now you have to air brush all my cabinets

Oh, and change my AC filters......

#52 7 years ago

Hi Mike,
can you go into a little detail about your Festool stuff? The machines look nice, but wow they are expensive.
My Landlord swears by the Track saw.
Bob

Hi Bob,

You’re right; Festool equipment certainly isn’t cheap However, keep in mind that Festool produces professional grade equipment designed for longevity and superior results. If you are a collector looking to restore one for two pinball machines then I’d recommend going with more budget conscious tools. However, if your hobby is restoring pinball machines, or you enjoy wood working projects, then you can’t go wrong with Festool.

If you are serious about looking into a Festool system, then I’d highly recommend you find a local dealer and checkout the hardware in person. In addition, there are tons of videos on YouTube where people demonstrate Festool equipment in action. For example, McCune has a video demonstrating an AFM decal sanding prep job – very cool.

Over the next few weeks/months, depending on how crazy my work schedule gets, I’ll be building 3 new cabinets: Centaur, Medusa and EBD. During that time I’ll do my best to document the entire process and provide equipment write-ups along the way. This will include track saws, sanders, routers, spraying equipment, etc. - everything you'd need to build a cabinet from scratch. Hopefully this will be detailed and provide some worthwhile info worth archiving here on PinSide

#54 7 years ago

Finished up all of the cutting work for the 80s Bally cabinets today

Again, I'm using 3/4" poplar for the cabinets and back boxs:

Poplar_material_(resized).JPGPoplar_material_(resized).JPG

These are 5 ply 4'x8' sheets from HD ($50/sheet). I'll need four 4'x8' sheets to build three complete cabinets and back boxes. In addition, I'll be using 1/2"x4'x8' sheets for the cabinet floors and rear back box panels.

Per request, here's some more info on the Festool System utilized for this project:

First, it's important to note that each Festool device is designed to work with a "Festool Dust Extractor."

CT_36_Dust_Extractor_(resized).JPGCT_36_Dust_Extractor_(resized).JPG

You'll have several options here, but personally I'd recommend either the CT 36 or CT 48. The only difference, besides the price of course, is the size/capacity of the extractor. Both the CT 36 and 48 are great, so you can't go wrong either way. One of the things I love the most about Festool equipment is the cleanliness. I can sand or cut wood without breathing in a ton of dust.

Again, the track saw we're using is a TS 75. Don't waste your time with the TCS 55, go with the Cadillac - trust me. The TS 75 has an impressive maximum 2-3/4” straight plunge depth and can cut up to 2-1/8" at 45 degrees, which comes in handy You can purchase tracks ranging form 32" up to 118" in length.

The track saw can be used in a variety of ways. For starters, it's great for making basic rough cuts:

You just place the track where you want to make a cut and used two Festool track clamps to secure the track in place:

Locking_Clamps_(resized).JPGLocking_Clamps_(resized).JPG

For precision cuts, I use the MFT-3 multifuntional table system:

MFT-3_Table_(resized).JPGMFT-3_Table_(resized).JPG

The only draw back here is the size of the cutting table itself. However, Festool does make a kit that will allow you to join two tables together - yes they like your money

#55 7 years ago

The MFT-3 table is simple, but incredibly versatile. The extruded aluminum frame gives you the ability to attach a fence at any angle, making it possible to cut just about anything in any way imaginable:

Fence_(resized).JPGFence_(resized).JPG

The MFT-3 table also provides you the ability to attach your track to the table. The track then pivots at one end, so you can rotate it 90 degrees perpendicular to the table. This way you can easily move parts in and out of the cutting area, then lower the cutting track back into place.

MFT-3_Table_#2_(resized).JPGMFT-3_Table_#2_(resized).JPG

Once you square up your fence and tack you'll be making perfect cuts every time:

Perfect_Square_Cut_(resized).JPGPerfect_Square_Cut_(resized).JPG

On a side note, don't cut your table in half Adjust the plunge depth for your saw accordingly:

Blade_Depth_Adjustment_(resized).JPGBlade_Depth_Adjustment_(resized).JPG
Blade_Depth_Adjustment_#2_(resized).JPGBlade_Depth_Adjustment_#2_(resized).JPG

Did I mention that the track height is adjustable in relation to the MFT-3 table's surface? Yup, you can stack wood parts, square them up and cut them both at the same time.

Double_Cutting_(resized).JPGDouble_Cutting_(resized).JPG

#56 7 years ago

Here's a cool gizmo:

Slide_Stop_(resized).JPGSlide_Stop_(resized).JPG

This adjustable stop slides back and forth in the fence, giving you the ability to set the length for repetitive cuts. With the stop we were able to cut all of the back box sides for 3 cabinets in less than 5 minutes. More importantly, the cuts were repeatable and on the money.

Here's the EBD cabinet, ready for routing now

Cabinet_(resized).JPGCabinet_(resized).JPG

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I see a deep love and passion for fancy tools here. I also see a small production of cabinets on demand. ..... ? It would definitely help the hobby.
Yes

One, two, three cabinets.... No big deal, but trying to reproduce cabinets for the general public in this fashion really doesn't make since. I'd have to CNC everything or the cabinets would cost a fortune. Even then I'd probably have to charge more than what most people would be willing to spend. It's a nice idea, but I really don't want my hobby to turn into a secondary job. If I did then I'd make more CFTBL LCD MODs

1 week later
#59 7 years ago

Taking a break from wood working this weekend

I decided to work on EBD and get it up and running.

I noticed that F4 (the 5amp fuse on the power module board) was blown. Took a look under the playfeild and found this:

Broken_Fuse_Holder_(resized).JPGBroken_Fuse_Holder_(resized).JPG

Luckily I had a space fuse holder. The EBD playfield fuse was being held in place via a flipper spring, which was wrapped around the remaining prong. The problem was that it was shorting out on the adjacent coil assembly bracket. I swapped out the fuse holder as well as the power board.

swapped_out_A2_power_board_(resized).JPGswapped_out_A2_power_board_(resized).JPG

At this point I was able to get the game to boot up. However, after performing the coil test I found this:

Bad_Cool_(resized).JPGBad_Cool_(resized).JPG
Bad_coil_reading_(resized).JPGBad_coil_reading_(resized).JPG

The right sling shot coil was fried. I un-soldered the wires and ohmed it out. The solendoid should read something more like this:

Good_coil_(resized).JPGGood_coil_(resized).JPG
Correct_coil_reading_(resized).JPGCorrect_coil_reading_(resized).JPG

I swapped the coil and again replaced the 5amp fuse. Presto..... EBD is now up and running

Up_and_running_(resized).JPGUp_and_running_(resized).JPG

At least I can now play the game while I'm building a new cabinet and back box.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Its the little things in pinball that bring so much pleasure! Now you can take a break from all this hard work and play a game or two.

Agreed

1 week later
#63 7 years ago

You know a project is progressing when it leads to other projects

Here's a cool pocket screw tool (you can pick one up at Lowes for around $100):

Pocket_Screw_Tool_#1_(resized).JPGPocket_Screw_Tool_#1_(resized).JPG
Pocket_Screw_Tool_#2_(resized).JPGPocket_Screw_Tool_#2_(resized).JPG

A little glue and some pocket screws go a long way.....

Fence_#1_(resized).JPGFence_#1_(resized).JPG

Ok, so what the hell are we building? Yup, you guessed it.... A fence for our router table

Fence_#2_(resized).JPGFence_#2_(resized).JPG

Cabinet panels are big and clunky, making them difficult to handle when routing the corners. Therefore, we're building a large fence to ensure we can control the panels when making the cross grain cuts.

I'll be using the following locking miter router bit for the cabinet corner cuts :

Router_Bit_#1_(resized).JPGRouter_Bit_#1_(resized).JPG
Router_Bit_#2_(resized).JPGRouter_Bit_#2_(resized).JPG

Once glued, this should give me the solid corners I want

#64 7 years ago

More Festool toys, this time we're going to play with the OF 1400 router, which is attached to the CMS VL router table:

Router_(resized).JPGRouter_(resized).JPG
Router_table_(resized).JPGRouter_table_(resized).JPG

Festool has two different options for router tables - standalone or an MFT3 table extension system. In this case we're using the MFT3 extension system.

So, how do you set up a router? Well, first you have to get the height of the bit setup correctly. Here's a nifty tool for that:

Bit_Height_Tool_(resized).JPGBit_Height_Tool_(resized).JPG

The three magnets make it easy to attach to the router bit.

Router_Bit_(resized).JPGRouter_Bit_(resized).JPG

The longer scale lines represent the center lines for the wood you're routing. The horizontal line is used to set the height of your bit while the vertical line is used to set the depth of your fence.

So, now we'll need to notch out a hole in our fence in order to accommodate the router bit.

Fence_router_bit_location_(resized).JPGFence_router_bit_location_(resized).JPG

Finally, we've added a vacuum box to the rear of our fence in order to help with dust collection. The slide piece on top will be use to guide panels through the router.

Dust_collection_box_(resized).JPGDust_collection_box_(resized).JPG

Now it's just a matter of squaring up the fence to the router table and experimenting with the bit height and fence depth in order to make the fine adjustments needed to have perfect corners. Unfortunately, this is a pain in the ass, but it's necessary to produce the quality cuts needed to have a square cabinet.

#65 7 years ago

Here's a look at Festool's router guide fence system (very similar to the track saw setup used earlier in the thread):

Guide_system_(resized).JPGGuide_system_(resized).JPG

It works great for cuts made with the grain:

Cutting_(resized).JPGCutting_(resized).JPG

Here's a look at the custom guide system we fabricated to handle cross grain cuts:

Cross_Grain_Cut_Guide_System_(resized).JPGCross_Grain_Cut_Guide_System_(resized).JPG

Now, when we stand up panels perpendicular to the table, we'll have a solid means for guiding them through the router

Here are some test pieces used to setup the router:

Corner_Joint_#1_(resized).JPGCorner_Joint_#1_(resized).JPG
Corner_Joint_#2_(resized).JPGCorner_Joint_#2_(resized).JPG

Put them together and you have a cabinet

Box_(resized).JPGBox_(resized).JPG

#66 7 years ago

Picked up all the power coated parts for Medusa today. I went with a metallic gold, should look nice with the cabinet trim and art.

Powder_Coated_Parts_(resized).pngPowder_Coated_Parts_(resized).png
Powder_Coated_Parts_#2_(resized).JPGPowder_Coated_Parts_#2_(resized).JPG

#67 7 years ago

Here are a few close up pictures to illustrate the finish:

Drop_Target_Bank_(resized).JPGDrop_Target_Bank_(resized).JPG
Coin_door__(resized).JPGCoin_door__(resized).JPG

I decided to have a clear top coat applied, help make the metallic flakes pop

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Beautiful parts. However, will these drop targets mechanisms still work with such thickness added to the parts?

It worked on these machines

Fathom_(resized).pngFathom_(resized).png
Centaur_(resized).pngCentaur_(resized).png

FYI - the powder only adds 2 mils per coat.
The key is using heat tape when needed, like on the coil stops:

coil_stops_(resized).JPGcoil_stops_(resized).JPG

Here's where we left an area for the grounding wire on the bottom of the transformer panel:

transformer_panel_(resized).JPGtransformer_panel_(resized).JPG

I'll have to re-tap all the mounting holes and there will be some tweaking required, but the drops will work correctly once complete. If anything, I'd be more concerned with the zipper flipper mechanism, but that can always get brass plated with the rest of the part

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I like your color choice...should look fantastic with cabinet...as you mentioned. Kudos to you sir.

Quoted from jgentry:

Looking real good!

Quoted from j_m_:

you're quite the talented person. hats off

Thanks for the kind words.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'll be waiting to pounce when you get tired of a couple of these

You already got a Medusa

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:Mike,
I know that. I was just concerned by that beautiful clear-coat that you can see shining everywhere....
Beautiful result. These pinball machines are masterpieces.
Yves

I'll document what's required throughout the rebuild, but it shouldn't be too bad

#82 7 years ago

"
Just a heads-up. I have seen Powder-coating add Considerably more than .002" Per side. It depends very much on how the parts are hung, How good the connection is, And how much powder is applied.
Bob

No doubt I'll have a few parts reworked; it's hard to get 100+ pieces perfect the first time around. Typically I'm not a big fan of powder for trim pieces (rails, coin door, etc), but it's a nice custom touch for the coil assemblies

2 weeks later
#83 7 years ago

The Festool router table is nice, but here's an even better setup for precision work:

Incra_Positioner_(resized).JPGIncra_Positioner_(resized).JPG

The INCRA LS Positioner makes fine adjustments that the Festool fence can't. So, after some modifications, here's what our custom fence system looks like:

Incra_Positioner_2_(resized).JPGIncra_Positioner_2_(resized).JPG
Modified_Fence_Adjustment_System_(resized).JPGModified_Fence_Adjustment_System_(resized).JPG
Modified_Fence_Adjustment_System_2_(resized).JPGModified_Fence_Adjustment_System_2_(resized).JPG

Now we can easily adjust the fence depth, making 1/1000" adjustments

#84 7 years ago

We also added some feather boards to our fence system to help control our material when cutting. Here's a look at the cross grain setup:

Feather_Board_System_-_Cross_Grain_Cuts_(resized).JPGFeather_Board_System_-_Cross_Grain_Cuts_(resized).JPG

I'm using a wood clamp to help secure the board squarely to the fence, attaching it to the track guide that runs along the top of the fence. Also, I'm using a backer board when cutting, this will ensure the router bit doesn't create any "blowout" while cutting.

Here's a good picture to illustrate a clean cross cut, notice that the exiting section of the board isn't blown out (hence the need for the backer board in the previous picture):

No_Blowout_(resized).JPGNo_Blowout_(resized).JPG

With the cross cuts completed, we can now setup our fence for conventional cutting work:

Feather_Board_System_-_With_Grain_Cuts_(resized).JPGFeather_Board_System_-_With_Grain_Cuts_(resized).JPG
With_Grain_Cutting_(resized).JPGWith_Grain_Cutting_(resized).JPG

Looks like our cuts turned out OK

Example_of_Corner_(resized).JPGExample_of_Corner_(resized).JPG

That's all for today.

#86 7 years ago

Way over my head, but the joint looks great and will certainly be solid.

It's not that complicated, probably just not explaining it very well. Hopefully it’s at least interesting to read

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Your demonstrating for all of us that having the right tools is just as important as the skill to use them. What is overwhelming is accepting that building out a "proper" cabinet requires a proper woodshop and that for many of us is unrealistic (space, money, utility, etc).

Good tools make all the difference, no doubt about that. If you're only restoring one or two machines, then it really doesn't make since to purchase all this stuff; it would be far cheaper to purchase a few reproduction cabinets. Personally, I'd rather buy the tools than the pinball machines. I like my machines in a millions pieces

Quoted from Tbgolfen:

As is often stated in your threads, we can only hope to approximate your builds as your craftsmanship and attention to detail is awesome.

I happen to like a certain guy's Frontier restoration just as much

#90 7 years ago

I found this on my door step today.

Box of Parts (resized).JPGBox of Parts (resized).JPG

Let's see what Ron has shipped me

Parts (resized).JPGParts (resized).JPG

After 30 minutes of unwrapping, here's the first batch of Medusa parts:

Plated Parts 1 (resized).JPGPlated Parts 1 (resized).JPG
Plated Parts 2 (resized).JPGPlated Parts 2 (resized).JPG
Plated Parts 3 (resized).JPGPlated Parts 3 (resized).JPG

Well done Ron.

1 week later
#92 7 years ago

It's time for some more routing work

Let's get started with the back box. Here's a look at the bottom panel:

Backbox Bottom (resized).JPGBackbox Bottom (resized).JPG

No need for an elaborate jig, just clamp your wood directly to the back box.

Bottom Panel Setup (resized).JPGBottom Panel Setup (resized).JPG

We're going to use a 1.75HP Porter Cable router with a following bit to cut out our new bottom panel. Set the router bit's depth, so the follower bearing rides along the surface of the cutout in the original back box as shown below:

Router Depth Setup (resized).JPGRouter Depth Setup (resized).JPG

Now, dill a pilot hole and start routing.

Nothing to it

#93 7 years ago

Use brad point drill bits to create pilot holes for the mounting bolt & tee nut locations:

Through Hole Dimples (resized).JPGThrough Hole Dimples (resized).JPG

It's drill press time.

Drill Press (resized).JPGDrill Press (resized).JPG

If your drill has a depth stop setting, use it. I like to set the depth, so only the brad point pushes through:

First Side Drilling (resized).JPGFirst Side Drilling (resized).JPG

Then I flip the board over and drill from the other side to complete the hole:

Second Side Drilling (resized).JPGSecond Side Drilling (resized).JPG

This ensures you don't have a blowout where the drill bit exits, like this:

Drill Press Blowout (resized).JPGDrill Press Blowout (resized).JPG

You could use a backer board, but I prefer the method described above. Anyway, here's the finished panel:

Finished Bottom (resized).JPGFinished Bottom (resized).JPG

#94 7 years ago

Here's a look at the top back box panel, same routing process as described above:

Backbox Top (resized).JPGBackbox Top (resized).JPG
Top Panel Setup (resized).JPGTop Panel Setup (resized).JPG
Routing Work 2 (resized).JPGRouting Work 2 (resized).JPG
Finished Top (resized).JPGFinished Top (resized).JPG

That was easy

#95 7 years ago

The right side back box panel is a little more interesting. First, we need to drill out a hole for the lock. Then we'll route out an area for the lock's mounting plate as shown below:

Backbox Right Side (resized).JPGBackbox Right Side (resized).JPG

Here's where the Festool MFT table comes in handy

Side Panel Setup (resized).JPGSide Panel Setup (resized).JPG

With our work piece secured to the table and some scrap wood guides in place, we can now use a 1/4" router bit to cut out the area.

Routing Work 3 (resized).JPGRouting Work 3 (resized).JPG

Here's a look at the finished cutting work:

Finished Backbox Lock Area (resized).JPGFinished Backbox Lock Area (resized).JPG

#96 7 years ago

Can you guess how the coin door panel was fabricated?

Coindoor Setup (resized).JPGCoindoor Setup (resized).JPG
Finsihed Coindoor Cutout 1 (resized).JPGFinsihed Coindoor Cutout 1 (resized).JPG

Ok, that's enough fun for one day

1 week later
#98 7 years ago

Who doesn't love little wooden triangle shaped corner support braces? If you're not a fan of wooden triangles, then this post isn't for you

Before we can assemble the back boxes we'll need to make some corner braces. These guys were cut out of square poplar material using a band saw:

Corner Brace Material (resized).JPGCorner Brace Material (resized).JPG

The only problem is that they have some ugly blade marks that need to be address.

Bandsaw Blade Marks (resized).JPGBandsaw Blade Marks (resized).JPG

So, it's time for another handy dandy jig

Sanding Jig (resized).JPGSanding Jig (resized).JPG

This jig gets clamped down to the work table using some Festool clamps.

Festool Clamps (resized).JPGFestool Clamps (resized).JPG

Now it's time to start sanding, 100 grit should do the trick.

Sanding Corner Braces (resized).JPGSanding Corner Braces (resized).JPG

Here's a good comparison after a little elbow grease is applied, Was it worth the extra work?

Before and After Sanding (resized).JPGBefore and After Sanding (resized).JPG

#99 7 years ago

Now I can cut the braces to size using a miter saw.

Cutting Corner Braces (resized).JPGCutting Corner Braces (resized).JPG

Here's a comparison showing the difference between the factory and reproduction units:

Brace Comparison (resized).JPGBrace Comparison (resized).JPG

The new ones should painted up nicely

#100 7 years ago

Alright it's time to start assembling the back boxes. First, I'll sand the inside face of every panel; the exterior faces will get sanded later in the process. Now's the time to get as much finishing work done on the interior as possible, just easier this way.

Sanding Back Box Interior (resized).JPGSanding Back Box Interior (resized).JPG

Here's a look at the back panel:

Finish Back Box Panel (resized).JPGFinish Back Box Panel (resized).JPG

The vent holes were routed out using the same technique previously documented. Now I can sand out the vent holes, removing any remaining wood furs. Then I'll lightly file the edges of the vent holes.

File Back Box Vent Holes (resized).JPGFile Back Box Vent Holes (resized).JPG

Time to start gluing.

Glue (resized).JPGGlue (resized).JPG

Once the corner joints are glued, we'll use two ratchet straps to hole the back box together. Here's a look at one of the corners after everything has been squared up:

Corner Joint (resized).JPGCorner Joint (resized).JPG

Not a bad joint indeed

#101 7 years ago

We decided to rabbit out the sides of the back box in order to accommodate the back panel. After inserting the back panel, it is glued and stapled in place for a nice secure fit.

Installing Back Panel (resized).JPGInstalling Back Panel (resized).JPG
Back Box (resized).JPGBack Box (resized).JPG

Now the excess glue can be scraped away. It's better to do this now before it sets up, much less work now.

Removing Excess Glue (resized).JPGRemoving Excess Glue (resized).JPG

After a little compound miter work the back box instruction panel can be glued and mounted in place.

Back Box Instruction Panel (resized).JPGBack Box Instruction Panel (resized).JPG

Well, that's enough for one day. I hope you guys enjoyed today's wood working adventure

#103 7 years ago

A fan now more than ever....looking great Mike...thanks for sharing.

I love wood triangle corner braces too

#105 7 years ago

Checkout what I got in the mail today

PF1 (resized).jpgPF1 (resized).jpg
PF6 (resized).jpgPF6 (resized).jpg
PF5 (resized).jpgPF5 (resized).jpg
PF4 (resized).jpgPF4 (resized).jpg
PF2 (resized).jpgPF2 (resized).jpg
PF3 (resized).jpgPF3 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#107 7 years ago

After Hurricane Matthew flooded one side of my house......

Flooding (resized).JPGFlooding (resized).JPG

Hurricane Mike came through!

Before:

Shrubs (resized).JPGShrubs (resized).JPG

After:

No more bushes (resized).JPGNo more bushes (resized).JPG
Digging (resized).JPGDigging (resized).JPG

Digging up 50 well established viburnums is brutal. Anyway, pinball projects are on hold until I can get my home issues resolved

On the bright side, at least my family made it through the storm safely

Oh, and I figured out how the water came in, so it's just a matter of time and money. My life is starting to fell like that old Tom Hanks movie, "The Money Pit."

#109 7 years ago

The home appears to be below grade in general. The dirt on the north side was actually above the sill plate, which looks to be all the way down to the slab. Crazy, just issue after issue with this home.

4 weeks later
#110 7 years ago

I'll be taking a break from pinball until my home endeavors are resolved. It appears I should change my name to Tom Hanks as I bought the "Money Pit." Checkout my rotten walls:

Wall Rot1 (resized).jpgWall Rot1 (resized).jpg
Wall Rot2 (resized).jpgWall Rot2 (resized).jpg

It will all get worked out, but unfortunately pinball will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Homeowners insurance going to cover any of the damage Mike?

Nope. Sometimes I wonder why we even have insurance

3 months later
#115 7 years ago

The home renovations are moving forward. The progress is slow, but at least we're moving in the right direction. With that said, I have been tinkering with the cabinets at by buddy Mike W's house

So, here's a progress update:

Cabinet parts:
Cabinet Parts (resized).JPGCabinet Parts (resized).JPG

It's time to dry fit a cabinet with all the internal cross members installed. However, we first need to setup our work table:
Paulk Workbench (resized).JPGPaulk Workbench (resized).JPG

This is the Ron Paulk work bench. If you're interested in building one, here are the details:
http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

This is a fantastic work bench that incorporates the Festool MFT hole pattern design. It's light weight and it's easily dissembled when floor space is needed.

Here's a look at the internal cabinet transformer and coin door brackets:
Transformer Brackets (resized).JPGTransformer Brackets (resized).JPG

I don't have a Festool Domino yet (someday), so we went with good old biscuit joints:
Biscuit Points (resized).JPGBiscuit Points (resized).JPG
Biscuits (resized).JPGBiscuits (resized).JPG

Once these are glued in they'll make a great joint

In order to hold everything together, we're using some Woodpeckers clamping squares and Bessey strap clamps with Harbor Freight ratchet straps:

Clamping Squares (resized).JPGClamping Squares (resized).JPG
Bessey Strap Corners (resized).JPGBessey Strap Corners (resized).JPG

#116 7 years ago

Here's a look at the dry fitted cabinet:
Dry Fit (resized).JPGDry Fit (resized).JPG

After squaring up the corners, we can now work on the top of the cabinet:
Squaring Corners (resized).JPGSquaring Corners (resized).JPG

Here's a look at the pieces used to build the back box support panel:
Cabinet Parts Comparison (resized).JPGCabinet Parts Comparison (resized).JPG

I think the new parts look better

Now I can test out a new toy. This is a Grex 23 gauge pin nailer and it's awesome:
Grex Pin Nailer (resized).JPGGrex Pin Nailer (resized).JPG

If you aren't familiar with pin nails, here's what they look like:
Pin Nails (resized).JPGPin Nails (resized).JPG

They are tiny right? This means they leave virtually unnoticeable holes in your work, that will be filled by paint later:
Pin Nail Hole (resized).JPGPin Nail Hole (resized).JPG

Plus, it's easy to remove pin nailed parts, which is good since we are just dry fitting the cabinet.

#117 7 years ago

The top bracket was oversized; this way we could route the edges to make them match the cabinet using a trim bit:
Top Bracket Overhang (resized).JPGTop Bracket Overhang (resized).JPG
Top Bracket Overhang #2 (resized).JPGTop Bracket Overhang #2 (resized).JPG

Here's what a trim bit looks like:
Trim Router Bit (resized).JPGTrim Router Bit (resized).JPG

It uses a bearing that rides on the surface you are trying to match.

To do this we'll be using a Festool OF 1400 router:
Festool Router (resized).JPGFestool Router (resized).JPG
Router in Action (resized).JPGRouter in Action (resized).JPG

After running the router around the top panel, it now lines up perfectly with the cabinet sides
Trimmed Top Bracket (resized).JPGTrimmed Top Bracket (resized).JPG

#118 7 years ago

Now it's time to install the support bracket that the rear glass channel attaches to. That's why we had to install the top panel in the previous post. This enabled us to determine it's exact location.

To do this we'll have to mortise a slot in each side of the cabinet. Here are some nifty Incra rulers that make measurements a breeze:
Incra Corner Ruler (resized).JPGIncra Corner Ruler (resized).JPG
Incra Ruler (resized).JPGIncra Ruler (resized).JPG

I love this right angle ruler

Now that the cut lines are laid out, I'll pin nail a scrap piece of wood to the cabinet wall for the router to ride along and cut my mortise:
Rear Channel Mortise (resized).JPGRear Channel Mortise (resized).JPG

After doing this on both sides of the cabinet, here's a look at the rear glass channel support installed:
Rear Glass Channel Support (resized).JPGRear Glass Channel Support (resized).JPG

Here's a close up look at the mortise and tenon joints used:
Rear Glass Channel Tenon (resized).JPGRear Glass Channel Tenon (resized).JPG

#120 7 years ago

Now it's time to cut the the glass channel slots. Again, we'll use the Festool OF 1400 router to accomplish this task.

First, we need to determine the right depth and cut location, so some testing is required:
Router Test (resized).JPGRouter Test (resized).JPG

Now you see why the Paulk work bench table is so nice to work with

Router testing:
Router Test #2 (resized).JPGRouter Test #2 (resized).JPG
Glass Channel Test Fit (resized).JPGGlass Channel Test Fit (resized).JPG

After a couple attempts, we've got the router setup where we want it. The outside edge of the plastic glass channel tracks should be flush with the edge of the exterior cabinet walls as shown above.

Now we can cut our slots:

Before:
Side Rail Glass Channel Slots (resized).JPGSide Rail Glass Channel Slots (resized).JPG

After:
Side Rail Glass Channel Slots #2 (resized).JPGSide Rail Glass Channel Slots #2 (resized).JPG

Ok, that's all for now. We just need to install some tee nut and we'll be able to glue a cabinet up

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Great work as always Mike. Any thoughts on offering to sell a raw cab? Assembled or flat packed? I would be very interested in a nice new cab for my next restoration.

I've thought about it in the past, but I'd hate to turn a hobby into a job (like the CFTBL MOD). Plus, I'm not sure how cost-effective it would really be to make/sell custom cabinets. With that said, I may change my mind next week

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm happy with a one "off".
Ahh, no bondo. To dream. LOL

Yeah, I hear you on the bondo.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Mike
Amazing work! I have really enjoyed following your restorations. You are truly a craftsman.
Wally

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just lucky to have some talented friends that I can collaborate with.

3 weeks later
#128 7 years ago

Nice work Grant. Those parts look great.

The cabinets are currently on hold, re-landscaping the yard at the moment. I'll probably use 18 gauge brads to nail them up. Honestly, I don't think it matters, just need something to hold the cabinets together while the glue sets up.

1 week later
#129 7 years ago

Have you ever seen nickel plated jigs?

Mounting Brackets (resized).JPGMounting Brackets (resized).JPG

Now you have

After measuring out and penciling in the mounting hole locations for the playfield support brackets, we taped the plated parts to the cabinet walls. Using the brackets as hole aliment jigs ensures that they will correctly line up with the holes during assembly after all the painting work is complete.

Mounting Holes (resized).JPGMounting Holes (resized).JPG

Make sure you use a backer board to prevent blow out and drill for the outside face of the cabinet. I then counter sunk the holes on the inside of the cabinet to eliminate any chipping that might occur when hammering the bolts though later.

Holes (resized).JPGHoles (resized).JPG

Now you can use the drilled cabinet side as a template for the other cabinet side, just square everything up

Transposed Hole Pattern (resized).JPGTransposed Hole Pattern (resized).JPG

After a little sanding, all the pencil lines are removed for the interior cabinet walls.

Sanding Cleanup (resized).JPGSanding Cleanup (resized).JPG

#130 7 years ago

Now we can finish building the top of the cabinet. First, place the rear glass channel mounting board into the mortised slots in the cabinet walls and apply some wood glue on top of the board. Then put the top panel in place, ensuring all sides are flush and square with the adjacent panel surfaces and clamp the two pieces together as shown below:

Top Glue Up (resized).JPGTop Glue Up (resized).JPG

To answer Gryphun's previous question, I'm using 1.25" 18 gauge brads to nail everything together on the cabinet top assembly. I'll probably use 1.75" or 2" brads for the 3/4" plywood parts.

I really like the Grex GC1850 2" brad nailer. For starters, it's chordless. Plus, it's light weight (2-3lbs), which is great when you're doing molding work above your head or working off a ladder.

Brad Nailer (resized).JPGBrad Nailer (resized).JPG

Here's at look at the top panel and rear glass channel all nailed up:

Top Panel (resized).JPGTop Panel (resized).JPG

Now we can run this piece across the disk sander; this ensures the transition between the two parts is perfectly smooth, so the top will look like one solid piece after the paint work.

Belt Sander (resized).JPGBelt Sander (resized).JPG
Sanding Work (resized).JPGSanding Work (resized).JPG

Using the belt sander, Mike W. and I were able to quickly sand all the faces of the back box support stand:

Sanding Work 2 (resized).JPGSanding Work 2 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to glue and nail these parts together

Top Setup (resized).JPGTop Setup (resized).JPG

Now we can sand these parts (same as above), to make everything smooth and flush.

Anyway, that's enough fun for one day

1 week later
#131 7 years ago

Time to glue this baby up!

Cabinet Parts (resized).JPGCabinet Parts (resized).JPG

Here's a must have accessory, if you don't have it already - the Glu-Bot:

Glubot (resized).JPGGlubot (resized).JPG

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures to document the assembly order, didn't want the glue to setup without getting it put together

Glue Up (resized).JPGGlue Up (resized).JPG

In general, I'd recommend getting the bottom and sides done first. The front and back snap in easily.

#132 7 years ago

Now it's time to install all of the support braces. We cut the 4 corner supports slightly larger, this way the leg brackets would fit flush in the corners (no air gaps)

Corner Brace (resized).JPGCorner Brace (resized).JPG

Here's a nifty tip - sand about an 1/8" off the back of each triangle support block; this will help them fit flush when installed:

Bracing Blocks (resized).JPGBracing Blocks (resized).JPG
Sanded Bracing Blocks (resized).JPGSanded Bracing Blocks (resized).JPG

Here are a few pics of the cabinet after glue up:

Cabinet #1 (resized).JPGCabinet #1 (resized).JPG
Inside Cabinet (resized).JPGInside Cabinet (resized).JPG
Cabinet #2 (resized).JPGCabinet #2 (resized).JPG

I used 1.25" 23 gauge pin nails on the exterior corners, just to hold the cabinet together while the glue setup. I used 1" 18 gauge brads to attached all the triangle support braces.

#133 7 years ago

I stole this idea from Stern.

Before:
Corner Joint (resized).JPGCorner Joint (resized).JPG

After:
Sanded Corner (resized).JPGSanded Corner (resized).JPG

This was done using a hand file and sanding block. The corner relief will keep the lock bar from digging into the front and sides of the cabinet. No since in scratching up a beautiful paint job. Now I can shake and tilt this baby with no fear of chipping the custom paint job!

#134 7 years ago

Just picked up a new Apollo spray system

5-stage Turbine (resized).JPG5-stage Turbine (resized).JPG
Spraygun (resized).JPGSpraygun (resized).JPG

We still have a few more cabinet cuts to make (corner bevels, etc.), but then it will be time to prime/paint this beauty. I'll try and shoot some videos of the painting process in action. In addition, I'll share my thoughts on the turbine system once I've had a chance to use it. With that said, I've never read a bad review on an Apollo system; they are considered one of the best atomizing turbine systems around by most woodworkers.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Just got great reviews in Wood magazine

That's what I said

I don't think you can go wrong with either Apollo or Fuji.

3 weeks later
#137 6 years ago

What good is a pinball cabinet without legs?

Let's drill some leg mounting holes To do this we'll need a jig, like the one below:

Leg hole jig (resized).JPGLeg hole jig (resized).JPG
Drilling leg holes (resized).JPGDrilling leg holes (resized).JPG

This guy ensures that the leg holes are properly spaced and drilled at the correct 45 degree angles everytime.

Now we can make the chamfer bevels on the bottom of the cabinet. This is done using our trusty router:

Routing chamfers (resized).JPGRouting chamfers (resized).JPG
Chamfer edge (resized).JPGChamfer edge (resized).JPG

Finally, we'll cut a slight chamfer at each corner of the cabinet to knock down the sharp edges.

Chamfer edge 2 (resized).JPGChamfer edge 2 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand some more and put the finishing base coat of paint on the cabinet. Then I'll need to decide whether to go with stencils or custom air brush artwork.

#139 6 years ago

Cool, glad you’re enjoying the thread

I was starting to wonder if it was too much detail on the cabinet build. Obviously, there’s a ton of work that goes into reproducing a cabinet, so it’s been fun documenting the process.

#141 6 years ago

It might be a little over the top

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You have an incredible setup and skills, it would be fun to watch an actual video/tv show of this material. I've never been much into the carpentry or cabinet work myself, but I see the appeal. Must be very satisfying to be able to produce such refined work.

All of the cabinet work thus far has been done at my buddy Mike W's house (and he does has a great setup ). Now that my rotten walls and underwater yard issues have been resolved we can finally move the project back to my place.

I might do a video for the next machine - most likely EBD.

Quoted from eh97ac:

You need to sell these! leg mounting holes jig

Just enjoying restoration work at the moment

Quoted from Gryphun:

No, this is Over The Top...

This is perhaps the greatest movie of all time.... Wait, I take that back.... Howard the Duck!

#147 6 years ago

It's Time to start the finishing work.

Sanding Part1 (resized).JPGSanding Part1 (resized).JPG

First, I'll hit the cabinet with 150 grit paper.

Sand Paper (resized).JPGSand Paper (resized).JPG

I like "Granat" - this is my paper of choice. Festool has a variety of options, here's a breakdown:

After sanding away all the residual glue from "squeeze out", I paint the corners with some rattle can spray paint to get a better idea of what additional work is needed:

Corner Guide Coat (resized).JPGCorner Guide Coat (resized).JPG

I want to get the corners perfect before priming the whole cabinet.

#148 6 years ago

Now it's time for 220 grit paper. With a light guide coat of primer on the wood, I can now easily find all the imperfections at the corners:

Wood Filler Locations1 (resized).JPGWood Filler Locations1 (resized).JPG
Wood Filler Locations2 (resized).JPGWood Filler Locations2 (resized).JPG

Hooray, we've made it to the first round of wood filler

Might as well fill all the brad nail holes inside the cabinet as well.

Wood Filling (resized).JPGWood Filling (resized).JPG

That's enough fun for one day.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

this has been a paid announcement from mike dallas of festool. festool, when you have a ton of money and don't know what to spend it on, spend it on us
seriously though, nice collection of systainers. does your wife know how much you spend on your "tools"? if not, I can be sure to let her know the next time we chat

Maybe I should ask Festool for a sponsorship

Honestly, I think the wife would rather see me purchase tools than pinball machines. Besides, I sold most of my games to finance the workshop. One Stern LE goes a long way at Woodcraft. Plus, Festool doesn't make me write them fan letters to purchase their products

#151 6 years ago

There's nothing like fresh shiny coil assembly bolts

Besides, who wants to put these dirty things on a new playfield?
Dirty Bolts (resized).JPGDirty Bolts (resized).JPG

I sort through all the bolts and organize them as follows:
Bolt Organization1 (resized).JPGBolt Organization1 (resized).JPG
Bolt Organization2 (resized).JPGBolt Organization2 (resized).JPG

Now they are ready for sand blasting.
Sand Blaster (resized).JPGSand Blaster (resized).JPG
Blasted Bolts (resized).JPGBlasted Bolts (resized).JPG

Unfortunately, I got a little overzealous, so I'll need to transfer the hardware over to some new cardboard before painting. As always, I prefer Rust-oleum 2X Painter's Touch; it's easy to spray and covers well in one coat.
2x Paint (resized).JPG2x Paint (resized).JPG

And here are some nice glossy jet black bolts:
Finished Bolts (resized).JPGFinished Bolts (resized).JPG

Much better

#152 6 years ago

You can have all the high tech Festool sanders in the world, but sometimes you just have to do things the old fashion way - by hand. For this project I'll be trying out some new sanding blocks:

Sanding Blocks (resized).JPGSanding Blocks (resized).JPG

These are great for all the nooks and crannies inside the cabinet:

Sanding Blocks2 (resized).JPGSanding Blocks2 (resized).JPG

Not much more to document on this phase of the project, just a ton of sanding and wood filling. I'll post some pics of the cabinet painting later in the week.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Where are the dust collectors on those?

It's in the center of my face

Festool actually does make a hand sanding block that you can attach their dust extractor to, but the hose is cumbersome To deal with. It's way easier to put the respierator on and go to town.

#155 6 years ago

Oops - Double post.

#156 6 years ago

As previously requested it's - Ultrasonic Time

After rereading this thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners

I decided to pickup the 27L Kendal ultrasonic cleaner. Thanks to everyone that provided input and feedback regarding this unit, much appreciated.

Ultrasonic Cleaner (resized).JPGUltrasonic Cleaner (resized).JPG

This is my second ultrasonic unit and it's a vast improvement over the old Harbor Fright unit I used to own. The 7+ gallon tank opens up a world of opportunities; no more hand scrubbing wire harnesses with a toothbrush

I decided to pickup some Lyman "Turbo Sonic" cleaner and give it a shoot.

Cleaning Solution (resized).JPGCleaning Solution (resized).JPG
Cleaning Action (resized).JPGCleaning Action (resized).JPG

Much improved:

Clean Parts (resized).JPGClean Parts (resized).JPG

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

you had me at double post

Alright Jerry

#160 6 years ago

My wife and daughter went to Universal this weekend, so I had the house all to myself. Today was a perfect opportunity to test my new HVLP turbine system.

Step #1 - Tape off the cabinet floor (I recommend 3M automotive tape for this)
Bottom Masking (resized).JPGBottom Masking (resized).JPG

Step #2 - Get my respirator out (make sure to use the organic vapor cartridges)
Respirator (resized).JPGRespirator (resized).JPG

Step #3 - Thin the auto primer with lacquer thinner (1 ratio)
Automotive Primer (resized).JPGAutomotive Primer (resized).JPG

Setp #4 - Setup the Apollo
Apollo System (resized).JPGApollo System (resized).JPG

After playing around with the nozzle setting and familiarizing myself with the Apollo gun, I got the fan pattern dialed in the way I wanted. Then I sprayed my base coat. I followed this up with a quick 220 sanding and determined that the cabinet sanding prep work was exactly what I wanted. The cabinet was nice and smooth with no noticeable low spots.
1st Coat (resized).JPG1st Coat (resized).JPG

#161 6 years ago

After removing any residual dust (tack rags and compressed air), the cabinet was ready for another coat of primer. Here's a look after hitting the cab, inside and out, with a 220 sanding block:

2nd Coat1 (resized).JPG2nd Coat1 (resized).JPG
2nd Coat2 (resized).JPG2nd Coat2 (resized).JPG

The corners are nice and tight

2nd Coat3 (resized).JPG2nd Coat3 (resized).JPG
2nd Coat4 (resized).JPG2nd Coat4 (resized).JPG

#163 6 years ago

It's getting there

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

How do you like the Apollo system?

I need some more time to play with it for a detailed review, but I can tell you that it sure beats rattle cans. I think a gravity feed setup would have made painting the inside of the cabinet easier. Overall, it was easy to spray a consistent code at a set pressure.

#167 6 years ago

Cool. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

#168 6 years ago

Finished cleaning up all the coil assemblies:

Clean parts (resized).JPGClean parts (resized).JPG

Now I can clean the harnesses, probably should change the water first though

Dirty water (resized).JPGDirty water (resized).JPG

#169 6 years ago

Nothing makes a Saturday more fulfilling than cleaning one's wire harnesses......

Here's my process (today's version anyway):

Ultrasonic Harness Cleaning (resized).JPGUltrasonic Harness Cleaning (resized).JPG

After running the ultrasonic cleaner for 30-45 minutes at 50C, I did a final scrubbing in the laundry sink. For this I used Simple Green and a nylon brush.

Scrub Time (resized).JPGScrub Time (resized).JPG
Scrub Time 2 (resized).JPGScrub Time 2 (resized).JPG

Then I washed the harness off in my driveway using a garden hose.

Drying Connectors (resized).JPGDrying Connectors (resized).JPG

Now it's time to blow any residual water out of the connectors using an air compressor.

Compressor (resized).JPGCompressor (resized).JPG

Hang them up and you're done.

Clean Harness (resized).JPGClean Harness (resized).JPG

Rinse, lather and repeat for all the other harnesses Here's the technical flowchart:

Harness Cleaning Chart (resized).pngHarness Cleaning Chart (resized).png

#170 6 years ago

Now that all the coils are cleaned up, it's time to refurbish them electrically. First, I always make sure that a new coil sleeve moves freely through the hole in the coil body. If the coil sleeve hangs up at all (swelling due to heat damage) then I purchase a replacement coil. The next thing to check is the coil's resistance, which is measured using a multi-meter as shown below:

Coil Ohms (resized).JPGCoil Ohms (resized).JPG

A zero reading means I purchase a replacement coil, but how do I know what non-zero reading is acceptable? Well, if you aren't familiar with Flippers.com, it's a very handy site. Their coil resistance chart can be used to determine what your coil's resistance should be. In this case, I'm working with an AN-26-1200, which should read somewhere around 12.5 ohms. So, I'm in the ball park at 11.1 ohms, making this coil a keeper.

Here's a link to the coil resistance chart:

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

99% of the time I find coils can be reused with no issues. With that said, I do tend to replace the flipper coils as they see the most wear and tear.

Now here's where the fun begins. I ALWAYS REPLACE THE DIODES. There is nothing worse than trouble shooting a flaky diode - been there done that and don't want to do it again It's a pain in the ass to change them out, but they are so cheap ($.02/per diode) it's stupid not to do it. Props to Vid for turning me on to Tayda Electronics; the best price source I've found for 1N4004 diodes, which can be used to replace all the coil and switch diodes in early 80s Bally machines.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/diodes/standard/1n4004-diode-1a-400v.html

First, I de-solder the coil lugs with my FR-300 (This gun is the sh@t - if you don't have one you should consider picking one up):

Hakko FR300 (resized).JPGHakko FR300 (resized).JPG
Removing Solder1 (resized).JPGRemoving Solder1 (resized).JPG

Now I carefully cut and remove the diode as well as it's leads. You might be asking, "Why can't I just test the diode and leave it alone?" That's the problem; you have to remove the diode to test it, so might as well replace it.

1N4004 Diodes (resized).JPG1N4004 Diodes (resized).JPG

Prior to installing, I always confirm that each replacement diode is operating correctly as shown below:

Diode Test (resized).JPGDiode Test (resized).JPG

Solder the new diode to the coil lugs (make sure the band is pointing towards the left "hot" lug). Yes, the diode can be installed backwards - Don't do that. Now, retest the coil's resistance as a final check. Presto - you have a new coil for 2 cents

Restored Coil (resized).JPGRestored Coil (resized).JPG

Now it just needs a new coil wrapper.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yeah, yeah, yeah
and who was the one who finally shamed you into purchasing the FR-300? who?!

It's rare, but sometimes your right

#174 6 years ago

Now that all the switches have been run through the ultrasonic, it's tumbler time...

Rather than taking everything apart, I'm going to try tumbling the entire switch assembly and see how that works.

IMG_2422 (resized).JPGIMG_2422 (resized).JPG

Hopefully, this will make it easier to reassemble the switches, having all the spacers in the correct configuration.

Here's a finished pic (8 hours of tumbling):

IMG_2424 (resized).JPGIMG_2424 (resized).JPG

Not bad

#175 6 years ago

Gearing up for another wood working project, so I need to get my back box lighting panel template ready.

IMG_2415 (resized).JPGIMG_2415 (resized).JPG

I like to leave all the grounding wire in place; this makes a great reference guide when repopulating the new panel. First, I desolder all the light socket connections. Damn, that's a ton of solder:

IMG_2417 (resized).JPGIMG_2417 (resized).JPG

Then I use a pick tool and some pliers to remove all the staples holding the light sockets in place:

IMG_2416 (resized).JPGIMG_2416 (resized).JPG

Eventually you end up with a nice template

IMG_2427 (resized).JPGIMG_2427 (resized).JPG

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I fixed that first image for you

Nice.

#178 6 years ago

Time to finish up the back boxes.

Backboxes (resized).JPGBackboxes (resized).JPG

The worst part of the whole job is this bottom backglass trim piece:

Bottom Trim1 (resized).JPGBottom Trim1 (resized).JPG
Bottom Trim2 (resized).JPGBottom Trim2 (resized).JPG

It's one solid part - crazy right. Props to Mike W. for knocking this one out. It's attached via a mortise as shown bellow:

Mortise Slot (resized).JPGMortise Slot (resized).JPG

A little sanding and tweaking and now it's glue up time.

Glue Up (resized).JPGGlue Up (resized).JPG

Next up is the bezel trim

#179 6 years ago

Saturday morning polishing...

Before:
Dirty Drop Linkages (resized).JPGDirty Drop Linkages (resized).JPG

Tumble with Flitz for 12 hours then polish with some rubbing compound:

Clean Drop Linkages (resized).JPGClean Drop Linkages (resized).JPG

Much better

Here's the metal polish I used, but any comparable product should do:

Metal Polish (resized).JPGMetal Polish (resized).JPG

#180 6 years ago

I've received several emails recently about powder coating, specifically the coil assemblies.

Why did you do this? Well, I just think it's cool and adds another custom touch to my machine

Why not just re-zinc or chrome the parts? You could certainly do that, just a preference. Chrome would be much more expensive than power though.

Will the drop target assemblies work correctly once they are put back together? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't do it. No point in making the game unplayable right

How much does that cost? It's comparable to re-zincing the parts once you include shipping fees. The worst part for me is the lead time. I'm actually working on building my own power coating spray booth and oven, but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

How do you powder coat the coil stops? Wrap them in heat tape, so the power won't stick to them. Here's what a finished coil stop looks like:

Coil Stop (resized).JPGCoil Stop (resized).JPG

How do you keep powered out of all the screw holes? You don't, just use an 8-32 tap as needed:

8-32 tap (resized).JPG8-32 tap (resized).JPG
Tap Work (resized).JPGTap Work (resized).JPG

You can use rubber plugs, but I've found they cause the power to booger up around the holes.

Isn't the power much thicker than plating and doesn't that cause problems? Yes, the power is thicker, so be ready to do so dremel work. For example, you'll need to clean out holes for coils sleeves, etc.

Dremel Work1 (resized).JPGDremel Work1 (resized).JPG
Dremel Work2 (resized).JPGDremel Work2 (resized).JPG

It does require some extra effort, but in the end you'll have some cool custom coil assemblies

#181 6 years ago

Here are some examples of different parts currently in the rebuild process:

Flippers (resized).JPGFlippers (resized).JPG
Drops (resized).JPGDrops (resized).JPG
Parts (resized).JPGParts (resized).JPG

#182 6 years ago

Friends don't let friends tumble hardware......

Waste of time (resized).JPGWaste of time (resized).JPG

Every once in awhile I try to salvage screws and nuts (when my hardware stash starts running low). Then I remember that it's pointless and I just purchase more hardware - except for my shine black screws

On a separate note, yellow or red coil wrappers?

Drop Target (resized).JPGDrop Target (resized).JPG

I'm thinking red will look better against the metallic gold power.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

It looks great. I'm always hesitant to do this but I think you did it well!

Thanks. I think it's worth the extra effort. I'm planning on painting the bottom of the playfield red (matching the cabinet base color), so I think the gold will really pop.

#185 6 years ago

Nothing more exciting than buying new screws, nuts and bolts....

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.06.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.06.10 PM (resized).png

Hopefully these will get me through a few machines

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

OK, So I've used bolt depot and they are OK. Tell me you have found a better source.

I use several different sources, but I get most of my stuff from Fastenal. I get a 40% corporate discount on top of the pricing listed above, so that really helps.

McMaster is another good option, but my discount isn't the same there. Also, I still need to find a good source for Un-slotted 1/2" #6 indented hex drive wood screws (the mounting screws used all over the bottom of playfields). Any tips?

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

OK, So I've used bolt depot and they are OK. Tell me you have found a better source.

It looks like Bolt Depot has some pretty good deals, especially if you buy in bulk (1000+). Not sure how the pricing works out once you factor in shipping though. I'm fortunate in the since that I work for a large company and we have excellent corporate discounts negotiated with Grainger, McMaster, Fastenal, etc. Plus, I don't have to pay shipping or taxes. I think the only way I'd do better would be bulk purchasing directly from China, but not sure I have the space to store 10MM screws

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I used fasternsuperstore.com for the #6 x 1/2" 's a few years back. if you're purchasing them by the 10,000 (or more), their price was pretty good
http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/113456/self-tapping-screws
1-2 Carton Price: $108.60 / Carton of 10,000 pcs ($ 0.01086 Each)
edit:
corrected the link for the proper (type A) screw

This is an item I'd actually consider purchasing 10k units of. Thanks for the tip.

#194 6 years ago

Diverting my primary focus to some other projects (more wood working stuff mostly), so progress on Medusa will slowdown for awhile. The good news is that once these "distractions" are completed I'll be able to build pinball cabinets much faster. If you're interested, you can follow these OT projects in my Ultimate Workshop thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-garage-renovation-2#post-3040359

FYI - I have to build a few WPC95 cabinets in the next few weeks, so I'm open to building a few extra units for the right price

#195 6 years ago

Shine new machine screws.

No tumbling makes Mike a happy man

IMG_2494 (resized).JPGIMG_2494 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#196 6 years ago

These 1980s Bally back boxes are truly a pain in the ass to reproduce - crazy amount of work! Here's a step-by-step look at the bezel and what goes into building one:

We used poplar to build all the trim pieces. After everything is cut to length the real fun begins

First, the top piece needs to have a slot routed out for the back glass. In addition, slots are added for the top locking joints; these are for the bezel side pieces.
Top Frame (resized).JPGTop Frame (resized).JPG
Top Frame 1 (resized).JPGTop Frame 1 (resized).JPG

Remember the bottom trim piece?
Lower Side Tenon (resized).JPGLower Side Tenon (resized).JPG
The tenons on the sides are used to align the left and right side bezel pieces at the bottom of the back box.

This means a mortise needs to be router out in just the right spot on both the left and right trim pieces.
Lower Side Mortise (resized).JPGLower Side Mortise (resized).JPG
Left Side Frame (resized).JPGLeft Side Frame (resized).JPG

#197 6 years ago

So, here's an interesting feature:

Right Side Lock Bevel (resized).JPGRight Side Lock Bevel (resized).JPG
Ever notice how the cutout around the back box lock is coped?

To reproduce this, we drilled out the lock hole in the right side bezel trim piece then notched a "V" out on the band saw:
Cutting Lock Relief (resized).JPGCutting Lock Relief (resized).JPG

After building a jig it's time for more routing:
Router Bit (resized).JPGRouter Bit (resized).JPG
Routing Lock Relief (resized).JPGRouting Lock Relief (resized).JPG

A little file and sanding work and voila....
Back Box Lock Hole (resized).JPGBack Box Lock Hole (resized).JPG

No we can fit everything up.
Dry Fit Frame (resized).JPGDry Fit Frame (resized).JPG

That was enough fun for one day

2 months later
#198 6 years ago

With work, family and hurricanes.... this project is dragging on and on and on. Good news though, we finally finished assembling the back boxes today

IMG_2770 (resized).JPGIMG_2770 (resized).JPG

One for my Medusa, one for Centaur and one for EBD

I think I've documented just about everything on how to build a classic 80s Bally cabinet, so here the last bit of advise - Make sure the back glass fits before you glue everything together.

We made some spacers to ensure the glass channel was correctly configured while gluing and clamping everything up:

There's some real engineering going on in the top section of the bezzel.

IMG_2767 (resized).JPGIMG_2767 (resized).JPG

Here's a look at the spacers we used:

IMG_2765 (resized).JPGIMG_2765 (resized).JPG

Here are a few more pics of the finished boxes:

IMG_2772 (resized).JPGIMG_2772 (resized).JPG
IMG_2773 (resized).JPGIMG_2773 (resized).JPG
IMG_2771 (resized).JPGIMG_2771 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to sand, fill, sand, paint, sand some more, paint, and.... you get the drift. Anyway, that's it for today.

#200 6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. The cabinets were certainly a challenge, especially the back boxes. Man those were brutal. I'm fortunate to have a very talented friend that help me reproduce these.

I need to build a spray booth next. Once it cools off outside I'll get everything painted.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Wow looking great. Nice detailed documentation. Are all backboxes having same dimensions or EBD backbox having extra depth?

My EBD is the same depth as Centaur and Medusa. It's my understanding that Bally did two different sized back boxes for that machine, not sure why.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Oh ok, only seen the deeper version around here. Not a big deal as long as stencils fit.

PinballPimp does both stencil versions

4 months later
#206 6 years ago

Anybody have some coin door plastics they'd be willing to sell me? Looking for the standard "1 Quarter 1 Play" and Susan B. Anthony plastics.

Thanks.

4 months later
#207 5 years ago

It's been awhile, so let's talk palyfields

IMG_0151 (resized).jpgIMG_0151 (resized).jpg

These are all repros, so no artwork touch ups required. The EBD is an old IPB palyfield and the other two are CPR gold editions. Before I tackle the clearcoats, let's address the bottom of each playfield.

IMG_0152 (resized).jpgIMG_0152 (resized).jpg

Luckily, only the Medusa needs a ton of sanding.

Sanding off buffing compound residue on EBD:

IMG_0161 (resized).jpgIMG_0161 (resized).jpg

I'm using 220 grit for my initial sanding.

IMG_0162 (resized).jpgIMG_0162 (resized).jpg

Sanding off excess insert glue on Centaur:

IMG_0155 (resized).jpgIMG_0155 (resized).jpg

Sanding off.... well every dame thing on Medusa:

IMG_0170 (resized).jpgIMG_0170 (resized).jpg

The prep work is done, so now it's time to seal these beauties. For that I'm using Arm-R-Seal. I prefer a satin finish for this application.

IMG_0172 (resized).jpgIMG_0172 (resized).jpg

I love Arm-R-Seal. I've used this many times and it always turns out nice. It's easy to apply, just mix thoroughly and wipe on with a rag or foam brush, like so:

IMG_0173 (resized).jpgIMG_0173 (resized).jpg

The key is to keep the product from puddling. Spread it evenly across the working surface and remember that a little goes a long way. Let the playfield dry for 8 to 12 hours, lightly sand with 300 grit paper and you're ready for the next coat. Here's a look at EBD after 3 coats:

IMG_0178 (resized).jpgIMG_0178 (resized).jpg

Not too shabby right

This gives the bottom of the playfield a nice finished look that isn't over the top. Plus, this makes it possible to clean the bottom of the playfield in the future - no more dirt getting embedded in the wood grain.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I should have some if you still need them.

Great, I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks.

#210 5 years ago

The most common issue with reproduction playfields is simply the fact that they are sprayed with too much clear. This adversely affects the game play, changing the physics of the pinball movements (sliding, backspin, etc.). It's nice to have a beautifully restored pinball machine, but if it plays like shit - well what's the point?

Anyway, the good news is that this is a pretty easy fix, it just takes patience and a little elbow grease (and like anything pinball related - it requires money).

So, here we go.....

IMG_0188 (resized).jpgIMG_0188 (resized).jpg

Checkout the #8 insert. Can you see the raised boarder? All of the inserts on this Centaur look exactly the same - makes for some nice click clack game play

Like I said, this is a simple fix, just need to wet sand the playfield flat. Once you start sanding the imperfection will jump out:

V4FG0 (resized).jpegV4FG0 (resized).jpeg

I start with 600 grit paper. You can use a store bought sanding block or make your own, just make sure your homemade block is level I clean the paper with a metal wire brush to remove excess clearcoat residue. Keep your paper clean, mist the playfield with water and use a micofiber cloth to wipe the playfield down regularly.

IMG_0191 (resized).jpgIMG_0191 (resized).jpg

10 to 20 minutes of work and you'll see the difference:

IMG_0193 (resized).jpgIMG_0193 (resized).jpg
IMG_0192 (resized).jpgIMG_0192 (resized).jpg

Sand uniformly and in the same direction. Once the clearcoat looks uniformly hazed across the entire playfield you're ready for the next step. I used a high intensity LED light to inspect the playfield, looking for any defects or areas that need more sanding.

#211 5 years ago

Moving right along....

Here's a better picture to illustrate the hazing that sanding will generate (you can see where the clear is still shiny and un-sanded in the lower areas where the finned post through holes are located):

IMG_0211 (resized).jpgIMG_0211 (resized).jpg

Now I'll address the star rollovers before advancing any further with the sanding/polishing process. To do this, I cut strips out of used 220 grit festool sanding papers. Run the paper strips back and forth to remove excess clear in the star rollover inserts:

IMG_0217 (resized).jpgIMG_0217 (resized).jpg

A star switch actuator must move freely up/down in the insert without binding up, otherwise it will be virtually impossible to dial the switch in for game play later. I'd also recommend testing each rollover insert with a reproduction star.

Ok, time for more sanding...

IMG_0200 (resized).jpgIMG_0200 (resized).jpg

I step up from 600 grit to 800 then follow that up with 1500 grit paper (same sanding process as previously described). Finally, I wet sand with 3000 grit pads on my my random orbital sander.

IMG_0219 (resized).jpgIMG_0219 (resized).jpg

Hooray, now we can start buffing. If you're in the market for a new buffer, I highly recommend the FLEX 3401 (she's a beast):

IMG_0199 (resized).jpgIMG_0199 (resized).jpg

I use the 3M Perfect-It kit with Lake Country 6.5" foam buffing pads.

1st - Orange Pad for the Rubbing Compound
2nd - White Pad for the Machine Polish (for swirl removal)
3rd - Black Pad for Ultra-fine Machine Polish

IMG_0201 (resized).jpgIMG_0201 (resized).jpg

FYI - make sure to use designated microfiber cloths for each step in the process and clean the playfield prior to advancing to a finer grit paper or polish. When it's all said and done, you'll spend less money on a quality buffer and the supplies needed to fix 10 playfields than you would sending one playfield off to (fill in the blank). There are numerous guys that do great work, but if you want to take the plunge - I hope this help

IMG_0233 (resized).jpgIMG_0233 (resized).jpg

Nothing to it - just a little money.

#212 5 years ago

Thinking of taking up a career in foot modeling....

IMG_0227 (resized).jpgIMG_0227 (resized).jpg

All kidding aside, here are some finished playfield pics:

IMG_0231 (resized).jpgIMG_0231 (resized).jpg
IMG_0232 (resized).jpgIMG_0232 (resized).jpg
IMG_0224 (resized).jpgIMG_0224 (resized).jpg
IMG_0221 (resized).jpgIMG_0221 (resized).jpg

Man, you can't beat the art package on these 80s Bally playfields.

Well, that's enough fun for one day.

1 week later
#215 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

except that you didn't show that photo before you got the foot surgery

4 ingrown toenails and 2 surgeries later, I'm happy to say I now have the confidence to wear flip-flops at the beach

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

I hope that pic with the compressor isn't real.

I think JM has more than one problem. You should see his eharmony profile picture!!!!!!!

JM at 2AM (resized).PNGJM at 2AM (resized).PNG

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

glad that we could make your morning
mike and I are actually really friends mortal enemies in real life and all of these posts are 1000% true

With friends like JM who needs mortal enemies?

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Just caught up on this thread. Really appreciate your explanations of sanding and buffing!

I just got a new 4k video camera, thinking about producing some more pinball restoration videos (just have to find the time to edit all the footage).

#226 5 years ago

Started working on EBD. This playfield has a variety of issues:

1. Globs of clear around the slingshot GI holes:
IMG_0180 (resized).jpgIMG_0180 (resized).jpg

2. Planking:
IMG_0181 (resized).jpgIMG_0181 (resized).jpg

3. Low inserts (example #2 ball):
IMG_0182 (resized).jpgIMG_0182 (resized).jpg

And as always - raised clear around virtually every insert (except the low inserts of course).

So, how do all these imperfections come about?

1. Poor clear application - nothing sanding can't fix

2. Remember wood expands and contracts based on the humidity and temperature of the surrounding air. Wood fibers swell as they absorb moisture and shrink as they release moisture, thus expansion and contraction. The good new is that this "planking" can also be fixed by sanding

3. This insert wasn't glued in place flush with the top of the playfield. The opposite of #1 and #2, here we need to add more clear to fill in the low spot.

Here's a look at the playfield once I started sanding with 600 grit:

Raised clear around the 8 ball insert:
IMG_0183 (resized).jpgIMG_0183 (resized).jpg

Planking is getting better:
IMG_0184 (resized).jpgIMG_0184 (resized).jpg

To save time I stepped up to 400 grit paper - planking is gone
IMG_0186 (resized).jpgIMG_0186 (resized).jpg

Just like Centaur, I'm wet sanding (going with the grain) with a block.

Now I can either fill the lowered insert or spay a new coat of clear on the entire playfield. Then the process is exactly the same as previously outlined on Centaur.

2 months later
#228 5 years ago

I've been busy with everything other than pinball as of late, so it was nice to play around in the work shop and build something for my Medusa

IMG_0765 (resized).jpgIMG_0765 (resized).jpg

It sure beats the original.

IMG_0764 (resized).jpgIMG_0764 (resized).jpg

The chamfered edges give it a nice finished look and they gave me a reason to play with the router table

A little Arm-R-Seal topcoat and it'll be ready to go.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Thanks for turning me on to arm-r-seal. I used it on a non-pinball wood project and really like how it turned out.

Cool. Glad it worked for you. What was the project?

#232 5 years ago

Want perfect coin slot plastics - who doesn't?

NOS parts are virtually impossible to find, so you'll just have to restore the ones you've got. Big thanks to Pbpins for hooking me up with some nice plastics to refurbish.

Starting point (not bad, but room for improvement):
IMG_0760 (resized).jpgIMG_0760 (resized).jpg

My new favorite sanding block:
IMG_0758 (resized).jpgIMG_0758 (resized).jpg

Wet sand with 800 grit paper until all scratches are removed:
IMG_0762 (resized).jpgIMG_0762 (resized).jpg

More sanding.... then buffing:
IMG_0777 (resized).jpgIMG_0777 (resized).jpg

Finished plastics:
IMG_0778 (resized).jpgIMG_0778 (resized).jpg

Brand spankin new baby.....
IMG_0779 (resized).jpgIMG_0779 (resized).jpg

Bling bling.....
IMG_0781 (resized).jpgIMG_0781 (resized).jpg

You got to admit those plastics pop

IMG_0782 (resized).jpgIMG_0782 (resized).jpg

#234 5 years ago

Very carefully

The Flex buffer is a variable speed unit, so set it to a lower speed 2-3. Then hold the buffer, pad side up, with your left hand. Turn it on and use your right hand to hold the plastic against the buffing pad. You can’t buff the whole plastic at the same time, so change your grip and rotate the plastic around as needed. I used the edge of the pad to give myself more room to hold the plastic.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

you could always make a jig with a slight recessed routed area to hold the plastics in place. that would make both sanding and buffing a little easier

I thought about building a jig, might do that for the next round.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Makes sense, thanks.
Well the whole assembly looks great. I just want to put a gold chain on that thing and wear it around my neck.

I was thinking belt buckle

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Those plastics are looking sweet! Nicely done.

Thanks. One could apply the same approach to refurbishing any plastics, but it’s obviously easier to replace them when possible - not much choice in this case though.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Mike, I always cringe when looking at a speaker panel. Have you had the same luck referbing those?

Here's Whitewater:

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=123

I just buffed it with the 3M Perfect-it kit as the scratches weren't too bad.

It all depends on how deep the scratches are, but just about anything is fixable. It's a matter of time vs. money; sometimes it makes since to refurbish and sometimes it makes since to just pony up the $ and replace the part.

1 week later
#244 5 years ago

This brass coin door has sure been a pain in the ass to reassemble.

The problem with brass plating is that it requires a clear top coat to prevent the brass from tarnishing, which effects the tight tolerences on the coin mechs. Plus, I had to re-tap all the 4-40 screw holes for the coin switches and Dremel various parts of the coin chutes to get this thing back together. Next coin door will be chromed

IMG_0884 (resized).jpgIMG_0884 (resized).jpg
IMG_0887 (resized).jpgIMG_0887 (resized).jpg

Picked up these beauties from PinRestore:

Only needed the hand riveting tool, but couldn't resist the set of larger dies for my press.

IMG_0886 (resized).jpgIMG_0886 (resized).jpg

Anyway, here's the coin door as it sits. I still need to rebuild the switches and install new light bulb sockets, but it's coming along

IMG_0891 (resized).jpgIMG_0891 (resized).jpg
IMG_0893 (resized).jpgIMG_0893 (resized).jpg

All new or recondition screws/hardware, powder coated back plate and coin trough, zinc plated coin mech switch brackets, new coin mechs, reconditioned coin insert plastics, and a ton of brass plating = an expensive, but beautiful coin door.

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

You forgot to do the lock

Then the key wouldn’t kit

3 weeks later
#247 5 years ago

Time to make some side rails.

This gave me a chance to use my new bandsaw

IMG_0926 (resized).jpgIMG_0926 (resized).jpg

I like to use poplar for my rails. I rip 4'x2"x2" blocks down and then plane the rails down to the exact thickness as the originals. Then I cut everything to length on the chop saw.

IMG_0978 (resized).jpgIMG_0978 (resized).jpg

These are fun to reproduce:

IMG_0977 (resized).jpgIMG_0977 (resized).jpg

Well, I don't have an oscillating spindle sander, so a sanding drum on a drill press will do the trick

IMG_0979 (resized).jpgIMG_0979 (resized).jpg

A little routing work and that's it.

IMG_0980 (resized).jpgIMG_0980 (resized).jpg

#249 5 years ago

Ha. That’s why this is taking forever, too many other project to use the tools on

1 year later
#251 4 years ago

I’ll get back to Medusa, just busy with other stuff at the moment.

8 months later
#253 3 years ago

If anyone is interested. I'm selling 2 of the back boxes (see listing in marketplace).

3 years later
#254 67 days ago

For those interested, I’m getting ready to jump back on the Medusa. Figured a 7 year break was long enough

Consolidating all my open threads into one - “Adventures with PinballMikeD”

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 179.00
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-restoration-projects-2016?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.