IMG_0887 (resized).jpg
IMG_0884 (resized).jpg
IMG_0782 (resized).jpg
IMG_0781 (resized).jpg
IMG_0779 (resized).jpg
IMG_0778 (resized).jpg
IMG_0777 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 7 years ago

We decided to rabbit out the sides of the back box in order to accommodate the back panel. After inserting the back panel, it is glued and stapled in place for a nice secure fit.

Installing Back Panel (resized).JPGInstalling Back Panel (resized).JPG
Back Box (resized).JPGBack Box (resized).JPG

Now the excess glue can be scraped away. It's better to do this now before it sets up, much less work now.

Removing Excess Glue (resized).JPGRemoving Excess Glue (resized).JPG

After a little compound miter work the back box instruction panel can be glued and mounted in place.

Back Box Instruction Panel (resized).JPGBack Box Instruction Panel (resized).JPG

Well, that's enough for one day. I hope you guys enjoyed today's wood working adventure

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Who doesn't love little wooden triangle shaped corner support braces? If you're not a fan, then this post isn't for you

A fan now more than ever....looking great Mike...thanks for sharing.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

A fan now more than ever....looking great Mike...thanks for sharing.

I love wood triangle corner braces too

#105 7 years ago

Checkout what I got in the mail today

PF1 (resized).jpgPF1 (resized).jpg
PF6 (resized).jpgPF6 (resized).jpg
PF5 (resized).jpgPF5 (resized).jpg
PF4 (resized).jpgPF4 (resized).jpg
PF2 (resized).jpgPF2 (resized).jpg
PF3 (resized).jpgPF3 (resized).jpg

#106 7 years ago

So smooth and shiny. Great artwork on this playfield.

2 weeks later
#107 7 years ago

After Hurricane Matthew flooded one side of my house......

Flooding (resized).JPGFlooding (resized).JPG

Hurricane Mike came through!

Before:

Shrubs (resized).JPGShrubs (resized).JPG

After:

No more bushes (resized).JPGNo more bushes (resized).JPG
Digging (resized).JPGDigging (resized).JPG

Digging up 50 well established viburnums is brutal. Anyway, pinball projects are on hold until I can get my home issues resolved

On the bright side, at least my family made it through the storm safely

Oh, and I figured out how the water came in, so it's just a matter of time and money. My life is starting to fell like that old Tom Hanks movie, "The Money Pit."

#108 7 years ago

That sucks Mike. Did the bushes/mulch/roots against the house contribute to the water intrusion? Curious how the water found its way in as this is a problem with some houses I've worked on up here in the panhandle.

#109 7 years ago

The home appears to be below grade in general. The dirt on the north side was actually above the sill plate, which looks to be all the way down to the slab. Crazy, just issue after issue with this home.

4 weeks later
#110 7 years ago

I'll be taking a break from pinball until my home endeavors are resolved. It appears I should change my name to Tom Hanks as I bought the "Money Pit." Checkout my rotten walls:

Wall Rot1 (resized).jpgWall Rot1 (resized).jpg
Wall Rot2 (resized).jpgWall Rot2 (resized).jpg

It will all get worked out, but unfortunately pinball will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

#111 7 years ago

Sorry to hear the news. Hope you get back to the fun stuff sooner than later.

#112 7 years ago

Homeowners insurance going to cover any of the damage Mike?

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Homeowners insurance going to cover any of the damage Mike?

Nope. Sometimes I wonder why we even have insurance

#114 7 years ago

Dammit man. Sorry to hear that. Insurance is the tool of the Devil.

3 months later
#115 7 years ago

The home renovations are moving forward. The progress is slow, but at least we're moving in the right direction. With that said, I have been tinkering with the cabinets at by buddy Mike W's house

So, here's a progress update:

Cabinet parts:
Cabinet Parts (resized).JPGCabinet Parts (resized).JPG

It's time to dry fit a cabinet with all the internal cross members installed. However, we first need to setup our work table:
Paulk Workbench (resized).JPGPaulk Workbench (resized).JPG

This is the Ron Paulk work bench. If you're interested in building one, here are the details:
http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

This is a fantastic work bench that incorporates the Festool MFT hole pattern design. It's light weight and it's easily dissembled when floor space is needed.

Here's a look at the internal cabinet transformer and coin door brackets:
Transformer Brackets (resized).JPGTransformer Brackets (resized).JPG

I don't have a Festool Domino yet (someday), so we went with good old biscuit joints:
Biscuit Points (resized).JPGBiscuit Points (resized).JPG
Biscuits (resized).JPGBiscuits (resized).JPG

Once these are glued in they'll make a great joint

In order to hold everything together, we're using some Woodpeckers clamping squares and Bessey strap clamps with Harbor Freight ratchet straps:

Clamping Squares (resized).JPGClamping Squares (resized).JPG
Bessey Strap Corners (resized).JPGBessey Strap Corners (resized).JPG

#116 7 years ago

Here's a look at the dry fitted cabinet:
Dry Fit (resized).JPGDry Fit (resized).JPG

After squaring up the corners, we can now work on the top of the cabinet:
Squaring Corners (resized).JPGSquaring Corners (resized).JPG

Here's a look at the pieces used to build the back box support panel:
Cabinet Parts Comparison (resized).JPGCabinet Parts Comparison (resized).JPG

I think the new parts look better

Now I can test out a new toy. This is a Grex 23 gauge pin nailer and it's awesome:
Grex Pin Nailer (resized).JPGGrex Pin Nailer (resized).JPG

If you aren't familiar with pin nails, here's what they look like:
Pin Nails (resized).JPGPin Nails (resized).JPG

They are tiny right? This means they leave virtually unnoticeable holes in your work, that will be filled by paint later:
Pin Nail Hole (resized).JPGPin Nail Hole (resized).JPG

Plus, it's easy to remove pin nailed parts, which is good since we are just dry fitting the cabinet.

#117 7 years ago

The top bracket was oversized; this way we could route the edges to make them match the cabinet using a trim bit:
Top Bracket Overhang (resized).JPGTop Bracket Overhang (resized).JPG
Top Bracket Overhang #2 (resized).JPGTop Bracket Overhang #2 (resized).JPG

Here's what a trim bit looks like:
Trim Router Bit (resized).JPGTrim Router Bit (resized).JPG

It uses a bearing that rides on the surface you are trying to match.

To do this we'll be using a Festool OF 1400 router:
Festool Router (resized).JPGFestool Router (resized).JPG
Router in Action (resized).JPGRouter in Action (resized).JPG

After running the router around the top panel, it now lines up perfectly with the cabinet sides
Trimmed Top Bracket (resized).JPGTrimmed Top Bracket (resized).JPG

#118 7 years ago

Now it's time to install the support bracket that the rear glass channel attaches to. That's why we had to install the top panel in the previous post. This enabled us to determine it's exact location.

To do this we'll have to mortise a slot in each side of the cabinet. Here are some nifty Incra rulers that make measurements a breeze:
Incra Corner Ruler (resized).JPGIncra Corner Ruler (resized).JPG
Incra Ruler (resized).JPGIncra Ruler (resized).JPG

I love this right angle ruler

Now that the cut lines are laid out, I'll pin nail a scrap piece of wood to the cabinet wall for the router to ride along and cut my mortise:
Rear Channel Mortise (resized).JPGRear Channel Mortise (resized).JPG

After doing this on both sides of the cabinet, here's a look at the rear glass channel support installed:
Rear Glass Channel Support (resized).JPGRear Glass Channel Support (resized).JPG

Here's a close up look at the mortise and tenon joints used:
Rear Glass Channel Tenon (resized).JPGRear Glass Channel Tenon (resized).JPG

#119 7 years ago

Great work as always Mike. Any thoughts on offering to sell a raw cab? Assembled or flat packed? I would be very interested in a nice new cab for my next restoration.

#120 7 years ago

Now it's time to cut the the glass channel slots. Again, we'll use the Festool OF 1400 router to accomplish this task.

First, we need to determine the right depth and cut location, so some testing is required:
Router Test (resized).JPGRouter Test (resized).JPG

Now you see why the Paulk work bench table is so nice to work with

Router testing:
Router Test #2 (resized).JPGRouter Test #2 (resized).JPG
Glass Channel Test Fit (resized).JPGGlass Channel Test Fit (resized).JPG

After a couple attempts, we've got the router setup where we want it. The outside edge of the plastic glass channel tracks should be flush with the edge of the exterior cabinet walls as shown above.

Now we can cut our slots:

Before:
Side Rail Glass Channel Slots (resized).JPGSide Rail Glass Channel Slots (resized).JPG

After:
Side Rail Glass Channel Slots #2 (resized).JPGSide Rail Glass Channel Slots #2 (resized).JPG

Ok, that's all for now. We just need to install some tee nut and we'll be able to glue a cabinet up

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Great work as always Mike. Any thoughts on offering to sell a raw cab? Assembled or flat packed? I would be very interested in a nice new cab for my next restoration.

I've thought about it in the past, but I'd hate to turn a hobby into a job (like the CFTBL MOD). Plus, I'm not sure how cost-effective it would really be to make/sell custom cabinets. With that said, I may change my mind next week

#122 7 years ago

I've thought about it in the past, but I'd hate to turn a hobby into a job (like the CFTBL MOD). Plus, I'm not sure how cost-effective it would really be to make/sell custom cabinets. With that said, I may change my mind next week

I'm happy with a one "off".

Ahh, no bondo. To dream. LOL

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm happy with a one "off".
Ahh, no bondo. To dream. LOL

Yeah, I hear you on the bondo.

#124 7 years ago

Hey Mike
Amazing work! I have really enjoyed following your restorations. You are truly a craftsman.
Wally

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Mike
Amazing work! I have really enjoyed following your restorations. You are truly a craftsman.
Wally

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just lucky to have some talented friends that I can collaborate with.

#126 7 years ago

Hi Mike,

I just read this thread and realized that the more I learn/know the dumber I feel. Great job at the documenting and explanations. Even though I am not a master carpenter, you have showed me a few methods/tricks that will help me in future projects. Looking forward to future posts!

I was just in Jacksonville this week. My son recently moved to Jax Beach. Seem like a nice area and I enjoyed my stay.

Thanks,
Phil

3 weeks later
#127 7 years ago

Mike, awesome work.

After reading your thread, I started my own full restoration using the same cut and router techniques to rebuild my cabinet.

Thank you for the education.

What type and gauge of nail / staple are you using for final assembly?

Are those pin nails strong enough for a secure fit or are you using a heavier gauge brad nail?

Thanks,

-Grant

IMG_9075 (resized).JPGIMG_9075 (resized).JPG

IMG_9134 (resized).JPGIMG_9134 (resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago

Nice work Grant. Those parts look great.

The cabinets are currently on hold, re-landscaping the yard at the moment. I'll probably use 18 gauge brads to nail them up. Honestly, I don't think it matters, just need something to hold the cabinets together while the glue sets up.

1 week later
#129 7 years ago

Have you ever seen nickel plated jigs?

Mounting Brackets (resized).JPGMounting Brackets (resized).JPG

Now you have

After measuring out and penciling in the mounting hole locations for the playfield support brackets, we taped the plated parts to the cabinet walls. Using the brackets as hole aliment jigs ensures that they will correctly line up with the holes during assembly after all the painting work is complete.

Mounting Holes (resized).JPGMounting Holes (resized).JPG

Make sure you use a backer board to prevent blow out and drill for the outside face of the cabinet. I then counter sunk the holes on the inside of the cabinet to eliminate any chipping that might occur when hammering the bolts though later.

Holes (resized).JPGHoles (resized).JPG

Now you can use the drilled cabinet side as a template for the other cabinet side, just square everything up

Transposed Hole Pattern (resized).JPGTransposed Hole Pattern (resized).JPG

After a little sanding, all the pencil lines are removed for the interior cabinet walls.

Sanding Cleanup (resized).JPGSanding Cleanup (resized).JPG

#130 7 years ago

Now we can finish building the top of the cabinet. First, place the rear glass channel mounting board into the mortised slots in the cabinet walls and apply some wood glue on top of the board. Then put the top panel in place, ensuring all sides are flush and square with the adjacent panel surfaces and clamp the two pieces together as shown below:

Top Glue Up (resized).JPGTop Glue Up (resized).JPG

To answer Gryphun's previous question, I'm using 1.25" 18 gauge brads to nail everything together on the cabinet top assembly. I'll probably use 1.75" or 2" brads for the 3/4" plywood parts.

I really like the Grex GC1850 2" brad nailer. For starters, it's chordless. Plus, it's light weight (2-3lbs), which is great when you're doing molding work above your head or working off a ladder.

Brad Nailer (resized).JPGBrad Nailer (resized).JPG

Here's at look at the top panel and rear glass channel all nailed up:

Top Panel (resized).JPGTop Panel (resized).JPG

Now we can run this piece across the disk sander; this ensures the transition between the two parts is perfectly smooth, so the top will look like one solid piece after the paint work.

Belt Sander (resized).JPGBelt Sander (resized).JPG
Sanding Work (resized).JPGSanding Work (resized).JPG

Using the belt sander, Mike W. and I were able to quickly sand all the faces of the back box support stand:

Sanding Work 2 (resized).JPGSanding Work 2 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to glue and nail these parts together

Top Setup (resized).JPGTop Setup (resized).JPG

Now we can sand these parts (same as above), to make everything smooth and flush.

Anyway, that's enough fun for one day

1 week later
#131 7 years ago

Time to glue this baby up!

Cabinet Parts (resized).JPGCabinet Parts (resized).JPG

Here's a must have accessory, if you don't have it already - the Glu-Bot:

Glubot (resized).JPGGlubot (resized).JPG

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures to document the assembly order, didn't want the glue to setup without getting it put together

Glue Up (resized).JPGGlue Up (resized).JPG

In general, I'd recommend getting the bottom and sides done first. The front and back snap in easily.

#132 7 years ago

Now it's time to install all of the support braces. We cut the 4 corner supports slightly larger, this way the leg brackets would fit flush in the corners (no air gaps)

Corner Brace (resized).JPGCorner Brace (resized).JPG

Here's a nifty tip - sand about an 1/8" off the back of each triangle support block; this will help them fit flush when installed:

Bracing Blocks (resized).JPGBracing Blocks (resized).JPG
Sanded Bracing Blocks (resized).JPGSanded Bracing Blocks (resized).JPG

Here are a few pics of the cabinet after glue up:

Cabinet #1 (resized).JPGCabinet #1 (resized).JPG
Inside Cabinet (resized).JPGInside Cabinet (resized).JPG
Cabinet #2 (resized).JPGCabinet #2 (resized).JPG

I used 1.25" 23 gauge pin nails on the exterior corners, just to hold the cabinet together while the glue setup. I used 1" 18 gauge brads to attached all the triangle support braces.

#133 7 years ago

I stole this idea from Stern.

Before:
Corner Joint (resized).JPGCorner Joint (resized).JPG

After:
Sanded Corner (resized).JPGSanded Corner (resized).JPG

This was done using a hand file and sanding block. The corner relief will keep the lock bar from digging into the front and sides of the cabinet. No since in scratching up a beautiful paint job. Now I can shake and tilt this baby with no fear of chipping the custom paint job!

#134 7 years ago

Just picked up a new Apollo spray system

5-stage Turbine (resized).JPG5-stage Turbine (resized).JPG
Spraygun (resized).JPGSpraygun (resized).JPG

We still have a few more cabinet cuts to make (corner bevels, etc.), but then it will be time to prime/paint this beauty. I'll try and shoot some videos of the painting process in action. In addition, I'll share my thoughts on the turbine system once I've had a chance to use it. With that said, I've never read a bad review on an Apollo system; they are considered one of the best atomizing turbine systems around by most woodworkers.

#135 7 years ago

Just picked up a new Apollo spray system

We still have a few more cabinet cuts to make (corner bevels, etc.), but then it will be time to prime/paint this beauty. I'll try and shoot some videos of the painting process in action. In addition, I'll share my thoughts on the turbine system once I've had a chance to use it. With that said, I've never read a bad review on an Apollo system; they are considered one of the best atomizing turbine systems around by most woodworkers.

Just got great reviews in Wood magazine

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Just got great reviews in Wood magazine

That's what I said

I don't think you can go wrong with either Apollo or Fuji.

3 weeks later
#137 6 years ago

What good is a pinball cabinet without legs?

Let's drill some leg mounting holes To do this we'll need a jig, like the one below:

Leg hole jig (resized).JPGLeg hole jig (resized).JPG
Drilling leg holes (resized).JPGDrilling leg holes (resized).JPG

This guy ensures that the leg holes are properly spaced and drilled at the correct 45 degree angles everytime.

Now we can make the chamfer bevels on the bottom of the cabinet. This is done using our trusty router:

Routing chamfers (resized).JPGRouting chamfers (resized).JPG
Chamfer edge (resized).JPGChamfer edge (resized).JPG

Finally, we'll cut a slight chamfer at each corner of the cabinet to knock down the sharp edges.

Chamfer edge 2 (resized).JPGChamfer edge 2 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand some more and put the finishing base coat of paint on the cabinet. Then I'll need to decide whether to go with stencils or custom air brush artwork.

#138 6 years ago

Excellent documentation! Thanks for sharing. It's very enjoyable to read and see your serious skills in action.

Eric

#139 6 years ago

Cool, glad you’re enjoying the thread

I was starting to wonder if it was too much detail on the cabinet build. Obviously, there’s a ton of work that goes into reproducing a cabinet, so it’s been fun documenting the process.

#140 6 years ago

I was starting to wonder if it was too much detail on the cabinet build. Obviously, there’s a ton of work that goes into reproducing a cabinet, so it’s been fun documenting the process.

I am lurking and enjoying the documentation. Keep it coming!

However, it looks overwhelming. I think your making furniture more than a cabinet for a pinball machine.

#141 6 years ago

It might be a little over the top

#142 6 years ago

Not over the top at all. Looks great.

#143 6 years ago

Waaaay too much detail. Get to the good part where you post 50 pictures of your filthy coils before and then after they come out of the ultrasonic cleaner (aka "coil dust porn")!

Seriously though, you have an incredible setup and skills, it would be fun to watch an actual video/tv show of this material. I've never been much into the carpentry or cabinet work myself, but I see the appeal. Must be very satisfying to be able to produce such refined work.

#144 6 years ago

You need to sell these! ==> leg mounting holes jig

#145 6 years ago

It might be a little over the top

No, this is Over The Top...

per the restoration...awesome work...

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You have an incredible setup and skills, it would be fun to watch an actual video/tv show of this material. I've never been much into the carpentry or cabinet work myself, but I see the appeal. Must be very satisfying to be able to produce such refined work.

All of the cabinet work thus far has been done at my buddy Mike W's house (and he does has a great setup ). Now that my rotten walls and underwater yard issues have been resolved we can finally move the project back to my place.

I might do a video for the next machine - most likely EBD.

Quoted from eh97ac:

You need to sell these! leg mounting holes jig

Just enjoying restoration work at the moment

Quoted from Gryphun:

No, this is Over The Top...

This is perhaps the greatest movie of all time.... Wait, I take that back.... Howard the Duck!

#147 6 years ago

It's Time to start the finishing work.

Sanding Part1 (resized).JPGSanding Part1 (resized).JPG

First, I'll hit the cabinet with 150 grit paper.

Sand Paper (resized).JPGSand Paper (resized).JPG

I like "Granat" - this is my paper of choice. Festool has a variety of options, here's a breakdown:

After sanding away all the residual glue from "squeeze out", I paint the corners with some rattle can spray paint to get a better idea of what additional work is needed:

Corner Guide Coat (resized).JPGCorner Guide Coat (resized).JPG

I want to get the corners perfect before priming the whole cabinet.

#148 6 years ago

Now it's time for 220 grit paper. With a light guide coat of primer on the wood, I can now easily find all the imperfections at the corners:

Wood Filler Locations1 (resized).JPGWood Filler Locations1 (resized).JPG
Wood Filler Locations2 (resized).JPGWood Filler Locations2 (resized).JPG

Hooray, we've made it to the first round of wood filler

Might as well fill all the brad nail holes inside the cabinet as well.

Wood Filling (resized).JPGWood Filling (resized).JPG

That's enough fun for one day.

#149 6 years ago

Festool has a variety of options, here's a breakdown:

this has been a paid announcement from mike dallas of festool. festool, when you have a ton of money and don't know what to spend it on, spend it on us

seriously though, nice collection of systainers. does your wife know how much you spend on your "tools"? if not, I can be sure to let her know the next time we chat

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

this has been a paid announcement from mike dallas of festool. festool, when you have a ton of money and don't know what to spend it on, spend it on us
seriously though, nice collection of systainers. does your wife know how much you spend on your "tools"? if not, I can be sure to let her know the next time we chat

Maybe I should ask Festool for a sponsorship

Honestly, I think the wife would rather see me purchase tools than pinball machines. Besides, I sold most of my games to finance the workshop. One Stern LE goes a long way at Woodcraft. Plus, Festool doesn't make me write them fan letters to purchase their products

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-restoration-projects-2016/page/3?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.