IMG_0887 (resized).jpg
IMG_0884 (resized).jpg
IMG_0782 (resized).jpg
IMG_0781 (resized).jpg
IMG_0779 (resized).jpg
IMG_0778 (resized).jpg
IMG_0777 (resized).jpg
IMG_0762 (resized).jpg
There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

Life has been hectic for me this past year, but I'm happy to say it appears to be settling back down - for the moment anyway

The point is, I'm ready to start some new pinball restoration projects. Rather than creating individual threads for each machine, I thought it would be cooler to document everything in one place. So, here are my next 3 projects:

Restoration_Projects_(resized).JPGRestoration_Projects_(resized).JPG

Hopefully I can tackle all of them in 2016

#2 7 years ago

I don't know, Mike...those machines look pretty sweet as is. Best of luck, and I look forward to popping in to check out your progress!

#3 7 years ago

Taking a restoration thread to the next level. The man must never sleep. I will be following along.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Taking a restoration thread to the next level.

I would say the same about you

I'll be following too...three Ballys getting the business.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Life has been hectic for me this past year, but I'm happy to say it appears to be settling back down - for the moment anyway
The point is, I'm ready to start some new pinball restoration projects. Rather than creating individual threads for each machine, I thought it would be cooler to document everything in one place. So, here are my next 3 projects:

Hopefully I can tackle all of them in 2016

Your idea of projects is like my idea of great condition

#6 7 years ago

Medusa - time to start the tear down

Quoted from thedefog:

Your idea of projects is like my idea of great condition

Don't worry. She certainly needs some TLC, just take a look at the playfield:

Original_Playfield_#1_(resized).jpgOriginal_Playfield_#1_(resized).jpg
Original_Playfield_#2_(resized).jpgOriginal_Playfield_#2_(resized).jpg

The planking is pretty bad, making this playfield a poor restoration candidate. Thank goodness for CPR right

This is a gold edition PF. It's very nice, but it isn't perfect. Take a look at some of the inserts:

5x_Insert_(resized).JPG5x_Insert_(resized).JPG
Gorgon_Insert_(resized).JPGGorgon_Insert_(resized).JPG
80_Insert_(resized).JPG80_Insert_(resized).JPG

I've seen this happen to several reproduction playfields (maybe I just have bad luck). For example, I purchased a beautiful TAF IPB repro a few years back; stashed it away for 6 months only to find the inserts had shifted. If left unrepaired these cracks in the clear coat could become a real problem, so this playfield will need some touch ups.

#7 7 years ago

My assistant is working on removing all the plastics

Junior_Restoration_Queen_(resized).jpgJunior_Restoration_Queen_(resized).jpg

Not bad for her first tear down....

Topside_Tear_Down_(resized).jpgTopside_Tear_Down_(resized).jpg

Now I'll remove the playfield, but first I need to get some rest - I do sleep Tbgolfen, sometimes

#8 7 years ago

Not much of an update, but I did managed to get the playfield removed today. I even came up with a new use for a sprinkler head

Sprinkler_Head_Playfield_Supports_(resized).pngSprinkler_Head_Playfield_Supports_(resized).png

#9 7 years ago

Alright Mike, you are back in business, obviously.

When I purchased my Medusa, the playfield was not so bad and after some touch-ups and careful painting (I am also an artist at times...) I got it near perfect. I have not clear-coated it and it looks still very good. I have another original playfield that is more damaged and that I may use for mural artwork.... I understand you are going the CPR route, but I still prefer to rescue/salvage/improve on an original playfield.

My XENON playfield was severely damaged in multiple areas. I almost repainted it entirely and it is probably better than any reproduction made. I took some licensing with enhancing the lady, for instance, and adding what was missing on the original artwork. I clear coated it as there was too much time spent in painting to let it ruin by a dirty ball.

Yves

#10 7 years ago

Can I have the old medusa playfield for wall art?

Great projects, I can't wait to see the progress on these!

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Can I have the old medusa playfield for wall art?
Great projects, I can't wait to see the progress on these!

I don't know, it might look better on my wall

#12 7 years ago

I removed the playfield harness this evening after spending a few hours sketching everything up. On these older Bally machines I find it beneficial to draw a road map

Here are some examples:

Lighting_Sketch_#1_(resized).pngLighting_Sketch_#1_(resized).png
Lighting_Sketch_#2_(resized).pngLighting_Sketch_#2_(resized).png

Hooray, the filthy harness is gone....

PF_-_Coil_Mechs._(resized).pngPF_-_Coil_Mechs._(resized).png

All of the coil mechs are ready for tear down. That zipper flipper assembly is pretty slick, well done Bally.

PF_-_Coil_Mechs._#2_(resized).pngPF_-_Coil_Mechs._#2_(resized).png

#13 7 years ago

At this point I can set the playfield aside. I'll be replacing all the 555s with new 44 light sockets. I'm not 100%, but leaning towards all new switches as well. So, as it sits, the playfield is the prefect road map for all the ground braid wiring and lamp/switch layout

Road_Map_(resized).pngRoad_Map_(resized).png

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

So, as it sits, the playfield is the prefect road map for all the ground braid wiring and lamp/switch layout

You put ground braid by mistake, sir

Thanks for sharing the drawn out road map....nice to see

#15 7 years ago

Mike,

Your work brings back a lot of memory, when I rebuilt entirely my Medusa. The Zipper flipper assembly is tricky. Make sure you take pictures and sketches.

Yves

#16 7 years ago

Working on the weekend sucks..... unless you can wash your nasty pinball harnesses at work

This thing is coated in crap.
Dirty_Harness_(resized).JPGDirty_Harness_(resized).JPG

We have an industrial parts washer, so what the hell right? It cleans using a 180F water/soap solution.

Washer_(resized).JPGWasher_(resized).JPG
Go_For_It_(resized).JPGGo_For_It_(resized).JPG

After a couple wash cycles, which are only 2 minutes a piece, here's a close up of the harness:

Caked_Up_Dirt_(resized).JPGCaked_Up_Dirt_(resized).JPG

90% of the dirt is gone, but the coil leads are still pretty filthy.

Time to tumble with Simple Green and hot tap water:

Tumbling_(resized).pngTumbling_(resized).png

After an hour here's what you'll get:

Sort_of_Clean_Harness_(resized).JPGSort_of_Clean_Harness_(resized).JPG

Better, but not what I'm settling for. Medusa is one dirt...........

Sometimes you can't beat a little elbow grease. At least I got to try something new today

#17 7 years ago

The cleaning through the tumbler was apparently much more effective.

Yves

#18 7 years ago

I got the coin door disassembled this afternoon. It's in very good condition, when you consider the age of the machine.

Coin_door_#1_(resized).pngCoin_door_#1_(resized).png
Coin_door_#2_(resized).pngCoin_door_#2_(resized).png

I've had several people email me and ask, "What parts do you plate vs. power, and which items do you tumble?"

First of all, I'm not really keen on tumbling much of anything. Yes, you can make parts look great by tumbling them, but if the original zinc coating is compromised then it's only a matter of time before corrosion will return. Plating/painting/powering are my preferred solutions, as these are permanent fixes. So, here are the coin door parts I have power coated:

Powdered_parts_(resized).pngPowdered_parts_(resized).png

The rest of the parts will get re-plated (minus the hardware, which I sand blast and repaint):

Plated_parts_(resized).pngPlated_parts_(resized).png

#19 7 years ago

Are you going to chrome plate the coin door or just buff it up to pristine condition?

Yves

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Are you going to chrome plate the coin door or just buff it up to pristine condition?
Yves

I don’t spend much time buffing parts anymore. The coin door will get plated, just not sure what direction I’m going with yet

#21 7 years ago

I love creative people

Spray_Painted_Target_(resized).pngSpray_Painted_Target_(resized).png

Painted target faces, too funny.

#22 7 years ago

If you only had a matching set you could use them on the restore.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

If you only had a matching set you could use them on the restore.

Anything is possible....

#24 7 years ago

Coil assemblies are broken down and ready for cleaning:

Coil_Assembly_Parts_(resized).pngCoil_Assembly_Parts_(resized).png

Time to drop these parts off for power coating:

Powered_Parts_(resized).pngPowered_Parts_(resized).png

#25 7 years ago

You powder coating friend is going to be busy again. I need to find someone locally, who can do that without taking my arm and my leg.
I suppose sand blasting and painting or plating would be another option.

Yves

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I need to find someone locally, who can do that without taking my arm and my leg.
Yves

$75 for everything on the bottom of the playfield. You should shop your power needs around.

#27 7 years ago

$75 and he provides the powder? Is it a custom Color? $75 seems cheap.

Bob

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

$75 and he provides the powder? Is it a custom Color? $75 seems cheap.
Bob

Prismatic Metallic Gold

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PMS-6374/GOLD-METALLIC/?gclid=CN_awuilsM0CFc8lgQodKXgDiA

#29 7 years ago

For Father's Day my wife let me work in the garage all day. Oh, and she bought me some beer - best wife ever

Beer_-_the_answer_to_all_problems_in_life_(resized).pngBeer_-_the_answer_to_all_problems_in_life_(resized).png

I got the cabinet and backbox stripped down:

Fire_Wood_(resized).pngFire_Wood_(resized).png

The cabinet is pretty rough and would need a new bottom and back, but it's salvageable. Hey, what are these pellets?

Pellets?_(resized).pngPellets?_(resized).png
Cab_Damage_(resized).pngCab_Damage_(resized).png

Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to start with a new cabinet

#30 7 years ago

My wallet feels lighter and these parts haven't even been shipped out for plating work.

Plating_Work_(resized).pngPlating_Work_(resized).png

#31 7 years ago

Damn you move fast. Took me 8 Months to do a Funhouse PF swap.

It's great to see SOMEBODY moving forward...

BTW - Need any target faces?

Bob

IMG_2406_(resized).JPGIMG_2406_(resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago

Mike,

Yes, the cabinet is in need of a serious rework and overhaul. And since you will be re-doing it, what do you think of the color of the red? Mine evolved in the same way..... It seems to me that the original cabinets (long time ago) were more reddish and less of that wine color. I tried to look at the original Medusa flyer and find the artwork more stunning and vivid as it is now.

When I repainted mine, I took the backbox to HD and had its color analysed and replicated. I am still not completely sold on that wine red.

Since you will be re-painting it which color are you going to use? Will it be more red, or will you keep the wine color? I wish the original color/hue could be clearly indicated somewhere (in the same way that cars have color codes).

Are you going to use Pinball Pimp stencils or go with a completely different design as you did for Fathom?

The plating bill will be interesting..... Pellets? I would say cockroaches....big ones. Mice would have peed and made more mess. Isn't it a beautiful world?

Yves

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Mike,
It seems to me that the original cabinets (long time ago) were more reddish and less of that wine color. I tried to look at the original Medusa flyer and find the artwork more stunning and vivid as it is now.
When I repainted mine, I took the backbox to HD and had its color analysed and replicated. I am still not completely sold on that wine red.
Since you will be re-painting it which color are you going to use? Will it be more red, or will you keep the wine color? I wish the original color/hue could be clearly indicated somewhere (in the same way that cars have color codes).
Are you going to use Pinball Pimp stencils or go with a completely different design as you did for Fathom?

Yves, the restore that Jeff (Pinball Pimp) did on a Medusa look more red than the wine color you mentioned. He has a gallery on his website....here are some pictures from that gallery.

GALLERY-Bally-Medusa-2_(resized).jpgGALLERY-Bally-Medusa-2_(resized).jpg
GALLERY-Bally-Medusa-4_(resized).jpgGALLERY-Bally-Medusa-4_(resized).jpg
GALLERY-Bally-Medusa-5_(resized).jpgGALLERY-Bally-Medusa-5_(resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

Damn you move fast. Took me 8 Months to do a Funhouse PF swap.
It's great to see SOMEBODY moving forward...
BTW - Need any target faces?
Bob

Don’t worry I’ll start slowing down now that the tear down is complete. Yes, I will need some translucent targets for the 7 target drop bank assembly

Quoted from Arcane:

The plating bill will be interesting..... Pellets? I would say cockroaches....big ones. Mice would have peed and made more mess. Isn't it a beautiful world?
Yves

The artwork will be custom, similar to Fathom. I may use Jeff’s stencils as a starting point – not sure yet. I know the color scheme will be red and gold, mimicking the back glass. It should really pop with all the mirrored brass.

I did find some big roach eggs under the transformer

#35 7 years ago

I'm sure this game will end up just awesome Mike, as with every pin I've watched you restore on here.

I will say if I infused beer into the mix while working on a game, especially disassembly, it would definitely slow up the process...and I'd end up with a bag of parts saying "Where the hell did this stuff come from?"

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm sure this game will end up just awesome Mike, as with every pin I've watched you restore on here.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I will say if I infused beer into the mix while working on a game, especially disassembly, it would definitely slow up the process...and I'd end up with a bag of parts saying "Where the hell did this stuff come from?"

That may happen, but if it does...... the beer helps

#37 7 years ago

Made this thread a favorite Mike.

I'm enjoying watching your work.

#38 7 years ago

Prior to plating, it's always prudent to re-shape any bent/beat-up parts.

Before:
Bent_(resized).JPGBent_(resized).JPG

After:
Unbent_(resized).JPGUnbent_(resized).JPG

Nothing a vise and hammer can't fix It seems like the coin door parts are always in need of a pounding.

The ball guides were originally plated, so they'll get re-chromed. I'll remove all the riveted parts and up-size the mounting holes in order to accommodate the larger 1/8" rivets commonly used on contemporary machines.

Ball_Guide_(resized).JPGBall_Guide_(resized).JPG

#39 7 years ago

Need any target faces?

Hi Bob,

I got the target faces yesterday. You're the man

Thanks again.

#41 7 years ago

It's time to build a new cabinet, but first we'll need to disassembly the original

Teardown_(resized).JPGTeardown_(resized).JPG

Here's the top section:

Cabinet_top_(resized).JPGCabinet_top_(resized).JPG

Who says factory original is better than new? I guess Bally re-purposed a different cabinet for this Medusa

2_shooter_holes_(resized).JPG2_shooter_holes_(resized).JPG

Here's a better look from the back of the front panel (Oops, lets move the cutout for the shooter rod down a few inches):

Shooter_hole_relocated_(resized).JPGShooter_hole_relocated_(resized).JPG

This cabinet was beat - dry rotten, water damaged, and filled with roach droppings. Yuck.....

But, this will make for a great template moving forward. Now we'll know exactly how to tackle the corner joints, mortises, and dados

Sides_(resized).JPGSides_(resized).JPG
Floor_(resized).JPGFloor_(resized).JPG

Now the fun can begin...

#42 7 years ago

Massive overhaul..... Very impressive.
What is the number of your Medusa? Mine does not have the mishaps for the ball shooter.

Yves

1 week later
#43 7 years ago

For the cabinet I decided to go with 3/4" five ply poplar. One 4'x8' sheet is more than enough material to build all of the cabinet walls and interior supports.

4x8_sheet_of_plywood_(resized).JPG4x8_sheet_of_plywood_(resized).JPG

Everyone loves Festool sanders, but here's an even cooler tool - TS 75 EQ Plunge Cut Track Circular Saw:

Track_Saw_(resized).JPGTrack_Saw_(resized).JPG

Track saws are great and Festool's TS 75 is the best one I've ever used. This guy comes in handy

After getting the 4'x8' sheet cut into 2 sections, now it's time to break out the table saw:

Table_Saw_(resized).JPGTable_Saw_(resized).JPG

This Rigid setup is great and the price is right at $499. My buddy Mike W. and I will make all the rough cuts at this point. We'll layout each piece, leaving roughly a 1/2" of spare material on all sides. This way we can cut all four side down to ensure good square corner.

Here's a good detail to mention - the face of the machine is beveled at the top (where the playfield glass slides in and out):

Beveled_Face_(resized).JPGBeveled_Face_(resized).JPG

Nothing an angle finder can't cure

Angle_Finder_(resized).JPGAngle_Finder_(resized).JPG

So, the top front face of the cabinet will need to be cut with a 94 degree angle.

4_degree_angle_cut_(resized).JPG4_degree_angle_cut_(resized).JPG

Nothing to it. Good tools make all the difference

#44 7 years ago

Here's where a track saw really comes in handy:

Cabinet_Sides_(resized).JPGCabinet_Sides_(resized).JPG

Stack the new left and right side pieces on top of each other and trace out the desired top cabinet angle. Then layout the track saw and cut both boards at the same time:

Cutting_the_sides_(resized).JPGCutting_the_sides_(resized).JPG

Now trim the front square and presto - we have to matching sides

#45 7 years ago

Digging the track saw. I can see that coming in handy.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Digging the track saw. I can see that coming in handy.

The real fun will be all the routing work. Festool has a great setup for that as well.

#47 7 years ago

Track saws are the cat's ass, fricken love mine.

#48 7 years ago

Picked up a few more pins today, so the restoration queue is growing. Not sure I'll be able to tackle all of these in 2016, but you never know

New_Pins_(resized).JPGNew_Pins_(resized).JPG

I know I know, when am I going to patch those holes in the wall...... Man you guys sound like my wife

#49 7 years ago

I think that air filter needs some attention as well. Maybe you could install it, find a better place to store it, or dispose of it. Looks a little cluttered in that corner. Just saying.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

I think that air filter needs some attention as well. Maybe you could install it, find a better place to store it, or dispose of it. Looks a little cluttered in that corner. Just saying.

That's it.... Now you have to air brush all my cabinets

Oh, and change my AC filters......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-restoration-projects-2016 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.