(Topic ID: 155153)

PMD - Ultimate Workshop Adventure

By PinballMikeD

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1094 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1091 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1092 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1080 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0999 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1100 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1096 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0972 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0971 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0969 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0970 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0968 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0964 (resized).jpg
    There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Many of the Makers I watch on YouTube make miter saw stations that enclose the back half of the miter saw itself in a box, basically giving the saw enough room to come down (they have to move panels to do heavily angled cuts), and use the whole back box as part of the dust vacuum system.
    The miter saw stations tend to include movable stop block rail systems, stuck on rulers, lots of surface to rest the piece being cut on, and storage.
    Look on YouTube for Jay Bates and Jackman Works, both of them have built miter stations on their channels.

Love Jay Bates "Ultimate Miter Station". I even picked up his plans for it. However, I ultimately decided to make my miter station mobile. Plus, I didn't want to dedicate that much floor space to a single tool. I've learned that a workshop is always evolving, so everything in my shop is mobile. This makes it easy to move stuff around as tools get upgraded down the road.

My miter station is 8' long, favoring the left side as I cut from left to right. I plan on adding wing extensions to both sides, but I'm waiting until I do my next crown molding project to justify investing the time.

IMG_0963 (resized).jpgIMG_0963 (resized).jpg

I made a hybrid design that was based on Ron Paulk's miter station w/ bench dog holes like the Festool MFT. I used the Kreg track system, which I highly recommend as well; it's easy to calibrate and produces reputable cuts with several different stops. I still need to add cabinets and a cubbyhole for a shop vac beneath the saw.

IMG_0962 (resized).jpgIMG_0962 (resized).jpg

My original idea was to mimic Jay's dust collection design, which is why I added T-slots on both sides of the saw (see below). This way I could remove the dust schrod as needed when doing angled cuts.

IMG_0964 (resized).jpgIMG_0964 (resized).jpg

However, I always try to follow the KISS method - keep it simple stupid. I think my dual 4" dust port setup will work and it's easily removable as it's a pretty simple jig. Not sure my dust collector has enough ass though

IMG_0960 (resized).jpgIMG_0960 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0961 (resized).jpgIMG_0961 (resized).jpg

#202 5 years ago

This sucks!!!

IMG_0972 (resized).jpgIMG_0972 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0968 (resized).jpgIMG_0968 (resized).jpg

The two 4" dust ports pickup 99% of all the dust. I like this design as it focuses on collecting the dust where it's created. Plus, the dust hood and fence are both easily removable if mitered or angled cuts are required. The zero clearance fence and insert give me perfect cuts on 3/4" (or smaller) plywood - no splintering or chip out.

IMG_0970 (resized).jpgIMG_0970 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0971 (resized).jpgIMG_0971 (resized).jpg

I know this is a pinball forum, so I even used some pinball parts to mount the dust hood to my fence

IMG_0969 (resized).jpgIMG_0969 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #203 5 years ago

that explains why marco's is always out of stock of those brackets!!

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that explains why marco's is always out of stock of those brackets!!

I thought it was because Rick was getting ready to remake all the classics.

1 month later
    #205 5 years ago

Finally picked up a Domino, it's worth every penny.

IMG_1096 (resized).jpgIMG_1096 (resized).jpg

Cuts a perfect mortis every time

IMG_1100 (resized).jpgIMG_1100 (resized).jpg

#206 5 years ago

Yeah, always look forward to your updates! If you haven't seen them, check out some accessories you can get at Woodpecker to make it even easier to use. I like the spacers to center things quickly, and the markings on the big handle: https://www.woodpeck.com/df500-offset-base-system.html

They aren't cheap, but neither are the original tools

#207 5 years ago

Thanks, I’d seen these defore. You’re right, anything by woodpeckers is top notch. Too many tools and not enough money.

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Finally picked up a Domino, it's worth every penny.
    [quoted image]
    Cuts a perfect mortis every time
    [quoted image]

Nice! I’ve got the same kits. Definitely checkout the domiplate...

https://www.senecawoodworking.com/products/domiplate-for-1-2-and-3-4-ply

I also just bought the Seneca parallel guides and really like them.

#209 5 years ago

Been looking at those Incra parallel guides for awhile as well. They do look nice.

Do the Seneca guides come with the Incra track or do you have to purchase them separately?

#210 5 years ago

Been looking at those Incra parallel guides for awhile as well. They do look nice.
    Do the Seneca guides come with the Incra track or do you have to purchase them separately?

They sell them with or without the tracks. I bought them separately because I had a coupon or something. I got sets of 24" and 36" so I can swap around.

#211 5 years ago

PinballMikeD
    did you see that the domino that you bought is half-off today only?

#212 5 years ago

pinballmiked
    did you see that the domino that you bought is half-off today only?</blockquote

Ha, we both know Festool stuff never goes on sale

#213 5 years ago

Ha, we both know Festool stuff never goes on sale

I got a $100 gift card with my OF1400 last month from toolnut.com!

But what I’ve mostly been doing is waiting for those 20% eBay coupons. They occasionally have no restrictions, so I use them to buy Festool from a reputable seller (I like hartvillehardware). It adds up to serious discounts.

#214 5 years ago

you need to post when those 20% coupons become available. I've been eyeing a few more festool items

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you need to post when those 20% coupons become available. I've been eyeing a few more festool items

Check out this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ebay-20-discount-today-only

The codes are being posted there. I check pinside a couple times a day so when the thread pops to the top of my favorites I usually see it in time to use a code. I've saved over $500 so far on various stuff.

#216 5 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on the miter saw station

I added cubby holes for off cut storage and dust collection piping.

IMG_0999 (resized).jpgIMG_0999 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1080 (resized).jpgIMG_1080 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpgIMG_1090 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1091 (resized).jpgIMG_1091 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1092 (resized).jpgIMG_1092 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1094 (resized).jpgIMG_1094 (resized).jpg

#217 5 years ago

I built a nice face for the front of the cabinet, gave me a chance to play with the domino. I can't believe I didn't purchase that tool sooner.

IMG_1099 (resized).jpgIMG_1099 (resized).jpg

Not too bad for an hours worth of work

Here's the finished table:

IMG_1140 (resized).jpgIMG_1140 (resized).jpg

#218 5 years ago

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to see what gets made in your workshop. Maybe a cabinet for me? Haha

#219 5 years ago

nice work, would love your workshop machines and space

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to see what gets made in your workshop. Maybe a cabinet for me? Haha

Next project is a clamp rack then a cabinet for the router table.

I’ve got 3 pinball cabinets that I need to finish though. Thinking about moving some pins, so I might have a few cabinets for sale

#221 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

nice work, would love your workshop machines and space

Thanks. I think buying tools is more additive than buying pins, at least for me anyway.

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-garage-renovation-2/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.