(Topic ID: 155153)

PMD - Ultimate Workshop Adventure

By PinballMikeD

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1094 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1091 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1092 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1080 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0999 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1100 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1096 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0972 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0971 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0969 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0970 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0968 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0964 (resized).jpg
    There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

Cant wait to see the epoxy floor go down. Last time, you did it yourself? Also - you going for anything swirly or exotic? Color?

Epoxy flooring is badass!

3d-flooring-10_(resized).jpg3d-flooring-10_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#52 8 years ago

Cant wait to see the epoxy floor go down. Last time, you did it yourself? Also - you going for anything swirly or exotic? Color?

Epoxy garage floors are sweet. If you don't care about color, check your local Sam's Club. Mine had Rustoleum 2 Car Garage kits in gray for ~$50 recently. I paid ~$100 for my tan kit, but would have gladly gone with gray to save $50.

#53 8 years ago

I have epoxy flooring in my current subterranean garage. I prefer RaceDeck flooring by SnapLock industries in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's fairly inexpensive, easy to install, and I love how they can print logos/images for a reasonable price.

IMG_0164_(resized).JPGIMG_0164_(resized).JPG

#54 8 years ago

Just read the whole post. Very nice job! Love it.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I have epoxy flooring in my current subterranean garage. I prefer RaceDeck flooring by SnapLock industries in Salt Lake City, Utah. It's fairly inexpensive, easy to install, and I love how they can print logos/images for a reasonable price.

IMG_0164_(resized).JPG

Since PMD is going top notch on his garage, I'm expecting greatness

I like that lego flooring, but something about the epoxy flooring with that 'wet' look....

Simpsons looks lonely all over in the corner by itself...

#56 8 years ago

Nice, your gonna like that. So is mine, with an 8' garage door.

#57 8 years ago

I'll probably just go with the same color and "chip style" epoxy as the last garage; that should match the exterior of my home the best. I thought about going gray, but then there wouldn't be any contrast between my cabinets and flooring. Yes, I did the floor myself last time and it was brutal.

Here's a pic of the last garage floor:

Screen_Shot_2016-04-09_at_7.48.24_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-09_at_7.48.24_AM_(resized).png

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I made a parking mat for my wife in the last house using gladiator snap together floor tiles (very similar). My only issue with this type of flooring is cleaning underneath it. Also, liquids (rain water from tires, etc.) find the cracks and run underneath the tiles and puddle at the low points in the floor. The tiles do look good though

Quoted from mcluvin:

Epoxy garage floors are sweet. If you don't care about color, check your local Sam's Club. Mine had Rustoleum 2 Car Garage kits in gray for ~$50 recently. I paid ~$100 for my tan kit, but would have gladly gone with gray to save $50.

I'm going with a two component epoxy filler to patch all the cracks once the floor has been scarified. Then two coats of 100% solids epoxy with a 75% chip broadcast. Then two top coats of Rexthane back rolled with silica material for anti-slip. The Rexthane will be an upgrade over the clear top coat I used last time and it's UV rated for the section of flooring that goes past the garage doors.

Since PMD is going top notch on his garage, I'm expecting greatness

The pressure is on now

#59 8 years ago

The pic of your last garage floor looks like my current floor...except mine is grey.

IMG_9913_(resized).jpgIMG_9913_(resized).jpg

IMG_9919_(resized).JPGIMG_9919_(resized).JPG

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I'll probably just go with the same color and "chip style" epoxy as the last garage; that should match the exterior of my home the best. I thought about going gray, but then there wouldn't be any contrast between my cabinets and flooring. Yes, I did the floor myself last time and it was brutal.
    Here's a pic of the last garage floor:

I have the same color and chips, but didn't do a clearcoat. Mine is just about 3 years old and has held up well. I've just got 1 spot right on the edge where the door goes down that chipped off.

1 week later
    #61 8 years ago

Time to fix this:

Water_Issue_(resized).JPGWater_Issue_(resized).JPG

We finally had another heavy rain storm last week, so I was able to better diagnose my flooding issue. Let's go swimming

Lake_Dallas_(resized).JPGLake_Dallas_(resized).JPG

Ok, I see the problem. My gutter downspout looks more like a geyser.......

Geyser_(resized).JPGGeyser_(resized).JPG

At least I know why the ground is saturated with water along my garage wall.

Yup, this drain is definitely clogged

Clogged_Drain_(resized).JPGClogged_Drain_(resized).JPG

#62 8 years ago

I don't like doing things twice, so I decided to go with smooth wall sewer pipe instead of using the cheap corrugated drainage piping from HD. Obviously, the corrugated crap didn't work for the previous home owner. Anyway, here's a look at my new gutter drain line with a street side pop-up emitter; solid pipe all the way:

Drain_Line_2_(resized).JPGDrain_Line_2_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-17_at_4.15.27_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-17_at_4.15.27_PM_(resized).png

After tunneling under two sidewalks, breaking two sprinkler lines, and digging through a palm tree root ball, my new 4" drain line is good to go

Now I can get back to the garage.....

#63 8 years ago

Always enjoy following these threads. I hope someday I can do Garage #1

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Always enjoy following these threads. I hope someday I can do Garage #1

It's worth it, but like anything else - it's work. The key is staying in one place, so you don't have to do garage #2

#65 8 years ago

Please tell me the previous owner disclosed that or the home inspector at least noted it? Bad enough you are doing it yourself, but that is some coinage if you are paying somebody else to do it.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Please tell me the previous owner disclosed that or the home inspector at least noted it? Bad enough you are doing it yourself, but that is some coinage if you are paying somebody else to do it.

Man I hope so. That's some B.S. to walk into in a new home!

#67 8 years ago

If it wasn't disclosed, I think you have some recourse for compensation there. That is f'd up.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No offense, Mike, I know you're an over the top kind of guy, but vapor tight fixtures in an attic?? In the garage I guess I could see them.

Not so sure it's overkill...FL is brutal on metal parts as it's 90% humidity most of the year. Anything I had sitting in a garage started to rust until I put a dehumidifier in there, which worked hard even with insulated garage ceiling and doors. An attic is open to the outside humidity.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

If it wasn't disclosed, I think you have some recourse for compensation there. That is f'd up.

Luckily, the drain line was basically free - cost me a 6 pack and some pipe

To answer your question, no this wasn't disclosed. The home inspector was actually pretty good, but unfortunately you can't replicate a Florida thunder storm with a garden hose. I'd press the seller, but I suspect the lawyer would cost me more than what it's worth. At the end of the day I'm just happy that it's fixed - at least I hope it is.

#70 8 years ago

You crack me up Mike! Looking good.

Where is the mini split A/c?

Neon beer signs is the way to go for lighting.

#71 8 years ago

Luckily, the drain line was basically free - cost me a 6 pack and some pipe
    To answer your question, no this wasn't disclosed. The home inspector was actually pretty good, but unfortunately you can't replicate a Florida thunder storm with a garden hose. I'd press the seller, but I suspect the lawyer would cost me more than what it's worth. At the end of the day I'm just happy that it's fixed - at least I hope it is.

You did good then to get it done so cheap. I would start wondering what else they didn't disclose. I moved from that area a couple years ago. In my previous home (built in 2006), I came home one day in 2014, looked up and saw some Tyvek just flapping in the wind. "What the Hell?" I think to myself. Climb up on the roof. I have a bare plywood exposed outer wall (this is a full brick house). You could only see it from the roof. I don't blame the previous owners, but I'm of the opinion most home inspectors are just going through the motions. The builder (Ryland) made it right at no cost to me, but I was lucky. I won't ever again consider buying a home built during the real estate boom period of 2005-2007. Shoddy ass construction in my experience.....

roof_(resized).PNGroof_(resized).PNG

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I have a bare plywood exposed outer wall (this is a full brick house). You could only see it from the roof. I don't blame the previous owners, but I'm of the opinion most home inspectors are just going through the motions. The builder (Ryland) made it right at no cost to me, but I was lucky. I won't ever again consider buying a home built during the real estate boom period of 2005-2007. Shoddy ass construction in my experience.....

roof_(resized).PNG

Wow, that’s pretty bad and Ryland is considered one of the better non-custom builders!

FYI - I have several friends in residential construction and they say the new homes aren’t any better than the mid 2000s. The difference between a $1M home and a $150k home is only the size of the home and it's price tag (and upgrades, but they don't change the poor base construction); they are all built cheap today. We bought based on location and lot size only. I know there will be years of work to come, but at least I won’t get bored and have nothing to do

#73 8 years ago

Wow, that’s pretty bad and Ryland is considered one of the better non-custom builders!

I think it was mostly that it was built during the height of the housing boom and they were just slapping them together as quickly as they could. I hear some horror stories about some of these builders not standing by their work, but Ryland was good with me. Had some moisture damage behind a garage wall and also some roof damage. They fixed it all.

If you don't have your termite stuff sorted out yet, I highly recommend Florida Pest Control. They were pretty competitive on initial treatment and if you maintain your termite bond, they don't charge anything extra for the 5 year retreatment.

1 week later
    #74 7 years ago

The flooring work has begun

Here are some before pictures to illustrate the cracking and staining that must be addressed prior to applying any coatings:

Tire_Stains_(resized).JPGTire_Stains_(resized).JPG
    Cracking_(resized).JPGCracking_(resized).JPG

For starters you should grind the floor, opening up the concrete for better adhesion. In my case the contractor removed about 1/16" off the surface of the floor. Some guys will tell you that chemically treating the floor is just as effective, but every industrial coating company I've ever dealt this will tell you that mechanically resurfacing generates the best long term results.

Floor_Prep_(resized).JPGFloor_Prep_(resized).JPG

Once the grinding was completed, cracks where filled with an epoxy filler. I then had two coats of a hydrostatic based coat applied to the garage floor to help mitigate any water issues in the future.

Base_coat_(resized).JPGBase_coat_(resized).JPG

With all the humidity here in Florida it would take forever for the floor to cure, so it's nice having an AC unit designed to minimize the relative humidity (this will come in handy for wood working projects down the road as well).

AC_Humidity_Control_(resized).JPGAC_Humidity_Control_(resized).JPG

On Monday the 100% solids epoxy will be applied, here's a sample:

Epoxy_(resized).JPGEpoxy_(resized).JPG

#75 7 years ago

Cracking_(resized).JPG

For starters you should grind the floor,

I wish I had mine ground. It was only chemically treated. Another problem when you don't grind is fibers poking out of the concrete. It's minor, but if you are going to do something like this, you may as well do it right.

Looking good!

#76 7 years ago

Ok, so we let the primer setup for a few days then the contractor lightly sanded the floor and applied two coats of RokrezPro.

Epoxy_(resized).JPGEpoxy_(resized).JPG

Here's what the finished floor looks like with an aliphatic urithane clear top coat:

Floor_(resized).JPGFloor_(resized).JPG
    Chips_(resized).JPGChips_(resized).JPG

With the floor done now I can paint the walls, no more mustard yellow

#77 7 years ago

What was the added cost (or total for that matter) to have it ground down? I'd like to do this at some point.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

What was the added cost (or total for that matter) to have it ground down? I'd like to do this at some point.

The floor cost me $3k, which was worth every penny in my book.

#79 7 years ago

Out of curiosity, why didnt you paint the walls first? Seems like there would be less chance of ruining the floor.
    BTW The floor looks great!

#80 7 years ago

at:

With the floor done now I can paint the walls, no more mustard yellow

What can we look forward to, Pepto-Bismol pink? Would go great with the grey floor! Yeah baby..

BTW, your garage is now officially nicer than the place I had in college.

#81 7 years ago

Taupe, definitely taupe...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#82 7 years ago

The floor cost me $3k, which was worth every penny in my book.

Ouch! It does look very nice though. Personally I'll stick with the Rustoleum kits. Toss enough chips on it and the imperfections blend right in unless you get down on your hands and knees.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

Out of curiosity, why didnt you paint the walls first? Seems like there would be less chance of ruining the floor.
    BTW The floor looks great!

No particular reason, guess I just needed a break after painting the rest of the house.

I still need to insulate the walls as well, but I need to layout all the electrical locations first.

Quoted from Cobray:

Your garage is now officially nicer than the place I had in college.

Likewise, but that didn't matter back in the day as long as I had beer

Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Taupe, definitely taupe...

Taupe is good.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Ouch! It does look very nice though.

The materials alone were almost half the cost. Plus, I wanted to make sure that the floor could withstand up to 25lbs of hydrostatic pressure, so no water should seep up through the slab in the future.

Here's a quick summary of the work: 2 days of prep work (grinding and filling cracks), 2 coats of primer (sanding after each application), 2 coats of 100% solids epoxy, and 2 coats of urethane top coat. It took two guys 6 days to bang it out. After the last garage floor, I knew I didn't want to tackle this one

#84 7 years ago

Better to do it right once than to pay more to do it twice!

#85 7 years ago

How is the seam where the flooring coating meets the garge door bottom handled?

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from alimerick:

How is the seam where the flooring coating meets the garge door bottom handled?

The coating goes all the way to the expansion joint at the driveway, which is roughly one foot pass the garage door.

#87 7 years ago

The coating goes all the way to the expansion joint at the driveway, which is roughly one foot pass the garage door.

Its a 3 car garage, isnt it? so 600 square foot? I think most people in Florida use them more for storage as there arent many basements... In your old house, was the garage considered an upgrade / selling point with the work you had done to it?

#88 7 years ago

Almost all of the coatings I looked at said not to expose them to direct sunlight. Is yours OK to be exposed to the sun (beyond the garage door)?

#89 7 years ago

Its a 3 car garage, isnt it? so 600 square foot? I think most people in Florida use them more for storage as there arent many basements... In your old house, was the garage considered an upgrade / selling point with the work you had done to it?

I think it's closer to 750 square feet. I need to measure it to confirm.

In general, I don't think home improvements add value to your home. I think most people just buy based on the average price per square footage in a given neberhood. The extras may help sway a buyer, but I don't think they yield a return on your investment.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mamushka:

Almost all of the coatings I looked at said not to expose them to direct sunlight. Is yours OK to be exposed to the sun (beyond the garage door)?

I think the clear coat yellowing/hazing over time is more the issue. I asked the contractor to use a UV resistant system, so time will tell. I can tell you that the urethane top coat is the same as what I used in my last house and it never faded or yellowed, but the coating was only 2 years old when we moved out.

1 week later
    #91 7 years ago

For my wife's birthday I put this together (now she can park in the garage):

tile_mat_(resized).JPGtile_mat_(resized).JPG

These are gladiator tiles from Sears.

#92 7 years ago

Getting ready to paint.

IMG_0646_(resized).JPGIMG_0646_(resized).JPG

I highly recommend the Purdy 18" Colossus rollers. These are great, more coverage with less paint lines/streaks.

#93 7 years ago

First real pinball post of this thread:

It's always nice to pickup a new pin, but it's awesome when you can get 3 in one day!

New_collection_(resized).JPGNew_collection_(resized).JPG

Now my assistant will have some machines she can help me take apart

1 month later
    #94 7 years ago

I hating painting

New_Paint2_(resized).JPGNew_Paint2_(resized).JPG
    New_Paint1_(resized).JPGNew_Paint1_(resized).JPG

Now I can start working on the track system for the walls.

#95 7 years ago

I hating painting

You are painting a garage, in Florida, in July.

But...

You really have no room to complain because you are in air-conditioning.

#96 7 years ago

Good thread. I'm about to embark on the same adventure. Bought a 8-acre property last winter with a house plus three other buildings. I'm close to finished with the house remodel, then the garage work starts. Maybe I should make a thread!

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mamushka:

You are painting a garage, in Florida, in July.
    But...
    You really have no room to complain because you are in air-conditioning.

Yeah, but painting sucks either way

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Maybe I should make a thread!

You should, I love workshop threads.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Good thread. I'm about to embark on the same adventure. Bought a 8-acre property last winter with a house plus three other buildings. I'm close to finished with the house remodel, then the garage work starts. Maybe I should make a thread!

Yes you should.

1 month later
    #100 7 years ago

I decided to put the pinball restorations and MODs on hold this weekend.

It's time to install some Gladiator Gearwall Panels. My garage is a wreak and it's driving me crazy...... I need to get all my cabinets installed and start organizing this mess

Track System (resized).JPGTrack System (resized).JPG

Here's a link for folks interested in the Gearwall Panels:

http://www.sears.com/gladiator-4-ft-gearwall-174-panels-2-pack/p-00921881000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CNyFqdS-5c4CFUEmhgodcM0BoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are pretty easy to install. Just find your studs, they should be on a 16" center to center layout, and screw the panels to the wall with 2" drywall screws. If you want the screws to blend in with the panels then you can spray paint the heads white. The panel are 48"x12".

Now I can clean my tables off and install my vise and rivet press

vise (resized).JPGvise (resized).JPG
    rivet press (resized).JPGrivet press (resized).JPG

Totally unrelated, but I got a kick out of this. Look at what I found while cleaning out some boxes:

ROTJ glasses (resized).JPGROTJ glasses (resized).JPG

These are "Return of the Jedi" glasses that Burger King was selling back in 1983. Damn I'm getting old. Anyway, I can't believe I still have these. Time to wash one and have a cold beer

Here's the shop all cleaned up:

Shop1 (resized).JPGShop1 (resized).JPG
    Shop2 (resized).JPGShop2 (resized).JPG

Now it's time to start shopping for power tools

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-garage-renovation-2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.