3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by PinballMikeD
  • Topic is favorited by 63 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 245 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1094 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1091 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1092 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1090 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1080 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0999 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1100 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1096 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0972 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0971 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0969 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0970 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0968 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0964 (resized).jpg

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

I just recently moved into a new home (new to me that is), so now I get to embark on another garage renovation project.

I know this isn't really a pinball topic per say, but without a workshop I wouldn't have a place to restore any machines or build any MODs, so I've unloaded most of my collection to finance this project. Hopefully this will be an entertaining read for some PinSiders. I'm psyched to now have an over-sized 3 car garage to work with, just need to convert it into a usable space. Let the spending begin........

I'll post more as things progress

#2 3 years ago

Def following this one...

#3 3 years ago

Were you able to get the money out of the old garage you had, ie, did the buyer buy the house because of the awesome garage or was it one of those "oh man, we gotta convert this garage back" kind of buyers?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

Were you able to get the money out of the old garage you had, ie, did the buyer buy the house because of the awesome garage or was it one of those "oh man, we gotta convert this garage back" kind of buyers?

I definitely think the garage helped to sell the home, but I didn't get any additional $$$ for it. In my experience, home improvements are much like pinball restorations - they aren't investments. I enjoyed my workshop, so that's all that matters

Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Def following this one...

Cool. I think this one will turn out better than the last one. I hope so anyway.....

#5 3 years ago

Even with a honey do list a mile long, I did manage to cut a big hole in the wall........

Dryer_Vent_(resized).JPG

and find my dryer vent! D'OH......

Oh well, that just means the new sub-panel will have to go on the other side of the electric panel

New_Electrical_Panel_(resized).JPG

Nothing a little drywall work can't fix.

#6 3 years ago

#7 3 years ago

Started working on the lighting today. It's going to be bright

Installing_Lights_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago

It gets HOT down here in Florida, so air conditioning is a MUST HAVE!

However, without the proper insulation an air conditioner will run continuously. Therefore, I decided to insulate my garage attic with 6 inches of closed cell spray foam. It wasn't cheap, but hopefully the insulation will help minimize my electric bill moving forward. Hopefully my garage will be like a Yeti Cup

Spary_System_(resized).JPG
    Foam_Insulation_#1_(resized).JPG
    Foam_Insulation_#2_(resized).JPG

#9 3 years ago

will be watching, haven't seen spray insulation down here in Aus and looks like you have some attic storage which is always a bonus.

Will the garage be part arcade or will you have a separate room for that?

#10 3 years ago

Looks great Mike, can't wait to see how it all ends up! Keep the updates coming!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Will the garage be part arcade or will you have a separate room for that?

I have a separate game room - just need to purchase some games

The only thing that sucks is that it's upstairs, but that's what this is for:

http://www.escalera.com/

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

Looks great Mike, can't wait to see how it all ends up! Keep the updates coming!

Will do. The flooring work starts tomorrow - courtesy of Luci

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Therefore, I decided to insulate my garage attic with 6 inches of closed cell spray foam.

I'd love to do that to my entire attic.

#14 3 years ago

I got the garage empty and ready for epoxy:

garage_(resized).JPG

However, when the contractor stated grinding the floor we discovered an issue: Water Intrusion

Water_Intrusion_(resized).JPG

It looks like I have a drainage issue and water is sitting up against the house; over time the water is soaking through the concrete curb as the garage floor sits 4 inches below my home's foundation. After further investigation, I found a few french drains along the exterior of the garage that were clogged. I snaked the drains out, freeing them of any obstructions, but when it rains the drains still can't keep up. It's like a bath tub, if water goes in faster than it drains out then you're going to have a flood sooner or later. So, it looks like I probably have a grading issue and will need to slope the yard away from the foundation.

Time to survey the yard with a transit.

transit_(resized).JPG

Yup. Yard work is in my future (or at least my wallets)!

#15 3 years ago

Yikes

Once your wallett recovers from the re-grading how long do you think it will take the concrete to dry sufficiently for epoxy install?

#16 3 years ago

Thanks for the thread. This one will be a good one to watch! In my favorites now.

#17 3 years ago

Only 6 inches of foam, what's the R factor of that? I put an R factor of 86 fiberglass in the ceiling of my garage....really only because I over bought and couldn't find the sales slip.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Only 6 inches of foam, what's the R factor of that? I put an R factor of 86 fiberglass in the ceiling of my garage....really only because I over bought and couldn't find the sales slip.

FL is not MN. Our main concern is trying to stay cool while you try to stay warm. We max out about at 100F, if you like it at 72F that is only 28F difference. Your low can be -20F (or lower) that is 92F difference to be at 72F. You need much less insulation in FL to maintain a reasonable temp.

#19 3 years ago

Some questions for OP:

1) did you use LED lighting? any details?

2). Did you do the spray insulation yourself, or did you subcontract it out?

3). What HVAC system will you use?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Only 6 inches of foam, what's the R factor of that?

R-36, but its also air tight, so you don't have losses due to air leakage, or condensation problems with a vapor barrier.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mamushka:

FL is not MN. Our main concern is trying to stay cool while you try to stay warm. We max out about at 100F, if you like it at 72F that is only 28F difference. Your low can be -20F (or lower) that is 92F difference to be at 72F. You need much less insulation in FL to maintain a reasonable temp.

I understand that, I was just wondering what the R factor was for the foam.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

R36, but its also air tight, so you don't have losses due to air leakage, or condensation problems with a vapor barrier.

Dang that's really good. I have a "cold roof" so all my insulation is above the ceiling.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Yikes
    Once your wallett recovers from the re-grading how long do you think it will take the concrete to dry sufficiently for epoxy install?

I'm not sure. I'm still looking at what options are on the table.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm not sure what the R factor is, but I can tell you that my garage attic is noticeable cooler than my garage. I wanted to utilize my garage attic for storage space, so blown-in insulation wasn't going to work - hence the spray foam.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Some questions for OP:
    2). Did you do the spray insulation yourself, or did you subcontract it out?
    3). What HVAC system will you use?

1) Yes, I used LED lighting. The fixtures are made by Lithonia; they are contractor grade. I'd have to dig up the details for parts numbers, etc. Here's a picture of the lights a 10PM:

Lights_(resized).JPG

2) No, I hired a contractor.
    3) I'm going with a Trane 17 SEER system with humidity setpoint controls. I'll post more on this as the project progresses.

#26 3 years ago

I'm not sure what the R factor is, but I can tell you that my garage attic is noticeable cooler than my garage. I wanted to utilize my garage attic for storage space, so blown-in insulation wasn't going to work - hence the spray foam.

That's what I thought, you have some nice room up there.

#27 3 years ago

1) Yes, I used LED lighting. The fixtures are made by Lithonia; they are contractor grade. I'd have to dig up the details for parts numbers, etc. Here's a picture of the lights a 10PM:
    Lights_(resized).JPG
    2) No, I hired a contractor.
    3) I'm going with a Trane 17 SEER system with humidity setpoint controls. I'll post more on this as the project progresses.

Where ya gonna put all your garage stuff?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Where ya gonna put all your garage stuff?

At the moment my workshop is being stored inside the house and my wife loves it

#29 3 years ago

The air conditioner installation is under way. I couldn't use a mini-split this time around because it would be visible from the street - dame HOA is killing me

So, I had my AC contractor put a 2 ton train (Tam 7 unit w/ variable speed blower) in the garage attic:

AC_Unit_(resized).JPG

Here's a look at the outdoor unit (just had to dig up a few bushes and add it to the collection):

Compressor_(resized).JPG

Today is all about routing the electrical and refrigerant lines, should be fun. Now, I have more air conditioners than pinball machines - crazy.

#30 3 years ago

How would a split system be any more visable then the Trane. Isnt it just a small condensor thats visible.

Do they charge by the sq foot on the spray foam? Any ideas on cost. My garage needs insulation.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

How would a split system be any more visable then the Trane. Isnt it just a small condensor thats visible.

Their logic is probably that you can put bushes around the Trane. I doubt the person at the HOA even knows what a mini-split is. They probably equate mini-split with window AC.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Do they charge by the sq foot on the spray foam? Any ideas on cost. My garage needs insulation.

My house is on a corner lot with a side entrance garage. This makes all the exterior walls of my garage visible to the street. A split system has distance limitations on how far the compressor/condenser can be located from the air handler unit. Per HOA restrictions, I needed to put my outdoor unit where it can't be seen, which made the installation a challenge based on my floor plan.

Here's a picture of my house for reference:

Home_(resized).JPG

My compressor/condenser is located to the left of the bottle brush tree behind the viburnums and my AHU is mounted on a 3/4" plywood platform in the garage attic.

What's really crazy is the refrigerant piping. I have two separate attics, one for my garage and one for the living space. They are connected only by a small crawl space that runs over the front porch. To avoid routing pipes along the exterior of my home, my AC guy had to run over 135 feet of refrigerant piping around the perimeter of my home (through both attics). Then I had to open a tray ceiling and wall in my master bedroom for him to reach the outdoor unit. Crazy.

Holes_(resized).JPG
    More_Holes_(resized).JPG

More drywall work

#33 3 years ago

Here's a look at the finished AC system:

Indoor Unit:
    AHU_(resized).JPG

I added 2 LED fixtures to the attic for better visibility (the picture above is without a flash). They are controlled by a light switch installed at the attic entrance.

Attic_Lighting_(resized).JPG

Outdoor Unit:
    Condenser_(resized).JPG

#34 3 years ago

Some questions for OP:

These are the light fixtures:

LED_Fixture_(resized).JPG

#35 3 years ago

To avoid routing pipes along the exterior of my home, my AC guy had to run over 135 feet of refrigerant piping around the perimeter of my home (through both attics).

Good luck with that......

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Good luck with that......

Train said the max distance it would work was 160 feet, we'll see.

So far so good.....

#37 3 years ago

Looking good. How much where the lighting fixtures?

#38 3 years ago

I'm so jealous of all that light. I would love to do something similar in my garage.

#39 3 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to redo my garage in the next year or so. How did you space the lighting when you installed them?

#40 3 years ago

No offense, Mike, I know you're an over the top kind of guy, but vapor tight fixtures in an attic?? In the garage I guess I could see them. They are pretty.

Honestly, for half the money and twice the light, I would have installed 8' tandem strip lights with four 4' T8 LED lamps. 4' 2 lamp fixtures would have been fine for the attic. In the garage, I would have installed the 8' strips and mounted them end to end so I had a continuous source or row of light with no dark spots in between the fixtures.

It wouldn't be as pretty but double your light for half or more the cost.

#41 3 years ago

Train said the max distance it would work was 160 feet, we'll see.
    So far so good.....

At least you know they support it. I would have been thinking plant a strategically placed bottlebrush tree and do the mini-split anyways at that point.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No offense, Mike, I know you're an over the top kind of guy, but vapor tight fixtures in an attic?? In the garage I guess I could see them. They are pretty.
    Honestly, for half the money and twice the light, I would have installed 8' tandem strip lights with four 4' T8 LED lamps. 4' 2 lamp fixtures would have been fine for the attic. In the garage, I would have installed the 8' strips and mounted them end to end so I had a continuous source or row of light with no dark spots in between the fixtures.
    It wouldn't be as pretty but double your light for half or more the cost.

Hi Bryan,

I agree its overkill. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone with these fixtures (for the garage or the attic) if I didn’t get them at a highly discounted price. I wanted to go with 4 footer T5 LED fixtures, but a contractor friend of mine just finished up a job and had these fixtures left over. So, the price was right

Quoted from joe2012:

Looking good. How much where the lighting fixtures?

I don't know what the actually factory cost is, probably around $200/light. As Bryan said - its overkill. They look pretty sweet though.

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to redo my garage in the next year or so. How did you space the lighting when you installed them?

It’s all about the spread. If my garage ceiling was 5 feet higher, then I could have used half the fixtures to achieve the same foot candles at 3 feet off the finished floor. I should bring my light meter home to test the garage for fun Anyway, I just played around with the spacing until I found a grid pattern that I liked, which ended up being a 5’x5’ grid.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

At least you know they support it. I would have been thinking plant a strategically placed bottlebrush tree and do the mini-split anyways at that point.

Trust me, I thought about it. It certainly would have saved me a few dollars.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I'm so jealous of all that light. I would love to do something similar in my garage.

Just sell your: BSM, ST LE, TWD LE, MET, and Luci and the work will pay for itself

#45 3 years ago

Hi Bryan,
    I agree its overkill. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone with these fixtures (for the garage or the attic) if I didn’t get them at a highly discounted price. I wanted to go with 4 footer T5 LED fixtures, but a contractor friend of mine just finished up a job and had these fixtures left over. So, the price was right.

OK, now you're making sense, Mike. For a minute, I thought you had gone over the edge.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

OK, now you're making sense, Mike. For a minute, I thought you had gone over the edge.

Me crazy? Ya, you bring up a good point

#47 3 years ago

Insulated garage doors are installed

These are C.H.I brand doors with a white power coated trim kit. The panels are 2 inches thick and filled up solid with foam. Fun fact - these doors are actually built by the Amish.

Garage_Door2_(resized).JPG

I went with a LiftMaster belt drive unit for the motor.

Motor_(resized).JPG

#48 3 years ago

How high is the ceiling in the garage?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

How high is the ceiling in the garage?

10'

#50 3 years ago

Cant wait to see the epoxy floor go down. Last time, you did it yourself? Also - you going for anything swirly or exotic? Color?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 156.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 9.99
    $ 64.00
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside