creature_001b.jpg
digging (resized).JPG
digging #1 (resized).JPG
digging #2 (resized).JPG
digging #3 (resized).JPG
digging #4 (resized).JPG
Wall Rot2 (resized).jpg
Wall Rot1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 10 years ago

This MOD is no longer being manufactured. However, I will continue to support any/all existing customers to the best of my ability. Best wishes.

Mike

---------

Here is a sample video for our new and improved Creature Hologram MOD

These are available for sale at our website here:

http://pinballmiked.com/?product=cftbl-hologram-mod

#13 10 years ago

Here are the Installation Videos (3 part video - note these are for V1.0):

#14 10 years ago

Answers to Questions Posted Here:

(1) Question: What does the MOD cost?
Answer: The V2.0 MOD is $369.99 (TV not included)

(2) Question: Will glifs work for "FILM" letter images?
Answer: Not at this time, possibly with a future software update.

(3) Question: How do I get on the waiting list?
Answer: Please email me directly at [email protected] to get on the waiting list.

(4) Question: Are you using X for the Raspberry Pi?
Answer: V2.0 was a complete rewrite, but ultimately we found X to be the best solution for our application.

(5) Question: Will a Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade fit with the MOD installed?
Answer: If the highest part of the speaker is only 4.5" from the MDF floor panel you should be fine. The TV stand is pitched, so that the rear of the stand is 7" off the cabinet floor.

I will continue to post Q/As here as the thread grows. This way all questions and answers will be in one convenient spot.

#15 10 years ago

Software Manual (starts here):

1.png1.png
2.png2.png
3.png3.png
4.png4.png
5.png5.png
6.png6.png
7.png7.png
8.png8.png
9.png9.png
10.png10.png
11.png11.png
12.png12.png
13.png13.png
14.png14.png
15.png15.png

#16 10 years ago

Software Manual (continued):

16.png16.png 17.png17.png 18.png18.png 19.png19.png 20.png20.png 21.png21.png 22.png22.png 23.png23.png 24.png24.png
#17 10 years ago

Installation Manual (for Version 2.0):

1.png1.png 2.png2.png 3.png3.png 4.png4.png 5.png5.png 6.png6.png 7.png7.png 8.png8.png 9.png9.png 10.png10.png 11.png11.png 12.png12.png 13.png13.png 14.png14.png 15.png15.png 16.png16.png 17.png17.png 18.png18.png 19.png19.png 20.png20.png
#24 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

Hey Mike, is your Creetch going to be at the Jax Arcade Expo later this month?

Yes sir.

#28 10 years ago

Here is the link to the TV:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-19E310A13.html

It is an Insignia 18.5" (19 inch class) 720P HD LED TV. These are sold at BestBuy.

#31 10 years ago

I have updated the thread with info for:

(1) Question/Answer Section
(2) Video Editing Software Manual (PDF included with MOD on USB drive)
(3) Instillation Manual (PDF included with MOD on USB drive)

This info is towards the top of the thread.

1 week later
#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

Mike,
I upgraded my Lower Cabinet base speaker to a larger Flipper Fidelity speaker that is positioned higher than the original factory speaker; it sits on a mounting block. The top of the magnet of the speaker is 4.5" above the floor of the cabinet including the mounting block. Would this create an interference problem with the underside of the TV? See picture.

photo (14).JPG 134 KB

You should be fine.

FYI - Answers to all posted questions are located at the top of this thread in the "Question & Answer" section.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Just a quick note to say thanks to Mike. I just completed the playfield swap on my CFTBL and decided to install the LCD mod (that has been sitting in the box for the last few months). Anyway, after the install, I wasn't getting power to the Raspberry Pi. I sent Mike a quick note and within minutes he calls me back and solves my issue (I forgot to plug the triac connector into the board). So, thank you very much for your help and patience Mike!!!
Here are the pics I promised to post. I still have lots of cabinet/head work to do but the playfield looks amazing on the top and bottom. I am also installing some pieces that I had powder coated at the local shop too.

DSC04013.JPG 360 KB

DSC04007.JPG 178 KB

No worries, just wanted to make sure you got it up and running

Nice job on the pf swap.

As a side note, if you want to improve visibility of the TV screen you can adjust the black cardboard piece mounted below the lagoon window (see the picture in the installation manual previously posted in this thread). Making this modification greatly increases what you see on the TV.

#47 10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the original videos you guys dream up.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Even if the code doesn't have the ability to do this (I haven't checked) you could put 9 copies of the same video in the folder (named differently) and your special one. That would effectively give you the same result.

Beat me to it

#53 10 years ago

FYI - If you guys copy the "Extras" and "User Manuals" folders to your PC you can delete them off of the USB. This would give an additional 4GBs of storage capacity for extra videos. Food for thought.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 8.05.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-28 at 8.05.29 PM.png
#54 10 years ago

To clarify, make sure you don't delete the following folders off of the USB drive: "Bck", "Debug", "Hologram", and "Standard." These are all used and directly referenced in the code on the SD card.

Now let’s see some custom FILM images and video screen shots

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I will take some pics later...I have movie clips of my kids pointing up at the ramps for "shoot the left / right ramp" and my daughter impersonating creech as a movie clip during multiball. I love it, but I blow the shot now because I am laughing at her movie

Cool. Looking forward to it.

#57 10 years ago

FYI – I have a few more spots that have opened up in this run (was able to get some extra boards). Email at [email protected] if you’re interested. Thanks.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

hard to photo, but here is a kid grabbing at the player like the hologram...

IMG_20140129_185304_690.jpg 202 KB

Cool. I'm sure they love it when you find the creature now

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Is there a PDF of the manual I can download.

Both manuals are on the USB.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Money sent for the upgrade, can't wait!
But, while I do, I have one question...
With the original holo, when you would drain a ball and then shoot restart multiball, the holo would light back up. So basically, you could look at the Creature swiping at you while your new ball was sitting in the shooter lane. I've noticed that this doesn't happen with the video. Is there any way to make it act exactly the same?

The MB video is triggered by the mirror motor, so the MOD should function the same way the original hologram did? When we see the game energize the mirror motor on, our program stops any active video and starts the MB one.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Hmmm, I will try to get a video of the way mine is doing it. IIRC, mine is showing the "Creature" attract scene or screensaver (not sure what you call it) while the ball is sitting in the shooter lane at multiball restart. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue?

Check and see if the 3rd LED (the thrid one from the top on the 10 LED block) on the interface board is illuminated. That LED should light up when the game commands the mirror motor to run. FYI - the 4th LED will light up when the hologram lamp is commanded on. We only use the lamp to trigger FILM images, so if the lamp 4th LED is on and the 3rd LED is not then you wouldn't see the MB video.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

My multiball video is not starting at all, it never moves off the screen saver. I sent you an email of the checks I made and how led's 3 and 4 responded.

PM me your number and I'll call you, probably easier to trouble shoot it over the phone than via email.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Mine also does this. Let me know if you figure it out.

What is the status of LEDs 3 and 4 when the ball is in the shooter lane?

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

After doing some investigation, what I found is that if you drain before you rescue the girl and restart the multi-ball with the snack bar shot, the MB video restarts. If you drain after you rescue the girl (while you are shooting for the super jackpot) and restart the multi-ball the MB video does not restart. On my game, the top two lights and the bottom light on the led block are lit. If you don't drain while you are shooting for super jackpot, the video keeps playing. Might just be how the game works.

Interesting. If LEDs 3 and 4 aren't on, then the machine isn't actually commanding the mirror motor or hologram lamp to run. Sounds like you guys found a software bug in the games ROM.

Maybe Stern machines aren't that bad after all

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Got the mod Mike! Can't wait to install it.
My daughter is saying I need to wait til my holo turns blue (it's still green) but I'm trying to convince her otherwise

Too funny. Good luck, kids are tough

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

By far the best pin mod of all time.
I've followed this mod from the beginning. Thank you Mike D for putting this together. Really looking forward to showing off my CFTBL at the Louisville Arcade Expo in March.
I'd still like to see the band members on the upper right side of AC/DC replaced with a small monitor framed with a stage like mounting. Various concert footage and music videos could be triggered with in game action. If there's anything I can do to make this a reality, just let me know.

My Luci is on order

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Just installed my Holo mod and so far so good. Wiggy here on the board is helping me with a few things, but I had a question for anyone that is doing their own videos.
I had considered using another CFTBL video I had seen on youtube. Was going to chop it down some but this was my thought. Since the Creature is not showing up until I find the girl, I wanted to use this video (or a portion of it) showing them finding and rescuing the the girl.
Is there a way to download the video from youtube and then chop it?
Here's the video....and thanks in advance for any suggestions...
» YouTube video

Might be able to revamp the software to enable YouTube downloads. We'll look into it.

1 week later
#89 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Mike speaks Canadian?! who knew

Ya, you betcha....

#90 10 years ago

In order to better focus our efforts on new product development we are discontinuing production of the CFTBL MOD for the remainder of 2014. If you have been waiting for a unit and haven’t received an email from me regarding payment, please email me directly at [email protected]. I do have several units left, but they will be sold on a first come first serve basis.

#93 10 years ago

To be clear, we will continue to support the MOD and we do have plans for a free update, making the video editing software more versatile and user friendly. I like the idea of adding the capability to download YouTube videos via the software, so we will definitely add this feature to the video utility. I’m sure we will do another run next year, but we are excited to move forward with some other projects. Trust me, the next MOD will be even better.

#96 10 years ago

Only 5 More units left.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

How much does the kit run?

The MOD is $369.99 plus shipping (TV not included). You can purchase the TV directly from BestBuy, usually priced around $120.

#101 10 years ago

Only 2 left.

#105 10 years ago

I'm all sold out.

However, if you're interested please email me (in case someone backs out - you never know).

We aren't planning on producing any more CFTBL MODs until next year, but if enough people request one we might do another holiday run.

Thanks to all of the pinheads that supported this project. See you guys on the next MOD

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

a little hint?

If you own an ACDC then I'll have something for you

#115 10 years ago

Quick Update – As promised, we’ve been working on the video editing software to include an additional tab for downloading videos directly from YouTube. This will give you the ability to share your custom video creations with others, just upload a file on YouTube and email your fellow CFTBL owners the link. He/She can then download the video file and paste it into their MOD’s file directory as desired. Once the software is completed we’ll post further info. Again, this is a free update to all our customers.

Thanks,

Mike

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

For ACDC Pro or Prem/LE?

I’m using my Luci for the MOD design, but I don’t think it will matter. Still early in the design process, so we’ll see.

#120 10 years ago

Here's a screen shot of the software running with the new YouTube feature.

You just cut and paste the YouTube URL into the field as shown, specify the location where you want to download the video on to your PC, and click on the "download" button - that simple Our software will automagically convert the YouTube video into a useable format for the MOD’s video player, so you just have to put the downloaded video on the USB and you're done.

You could also use this software feature to download any YouTube videos you want to manipulate and add to your MOD.

If you are an existing customer and you would like the latest video editing software, email me directly at [email protected] and I’ll have Rusty email you the utility.

youtube.pngyoutube.png
downloading.pngdownloading.png

#121 10 years ago

FYI - For folks that are less computer savvy the “URL” is the portion of the link highlighted as shown in this example:

URL.pngURL.png
2 months later
#134 9 years ago

More will be available later this year.

1 week later
#141 9 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

Got mine up and running with a bit of help from Mike. It's freaking sweet! Great tech support by Mike, many thanks to PinballMikeD.

No worries, just glad we got it working. Now get back on that Creature

2 months later
#150 9 years ago

Quick Update:

(1) Yes, we will be doing another production run later this year. If you’d like to be added to the customer wait list please email me directly at [email protected].
(2) The original Insigina TV used for our MOD has been discontinued. What does this mean? It means that moving forward we’ll have to modify some of the programing on the RPi in order to accommodate the new TV screen. What if I already bought the old TV? No worries, you’ll just have to let me know which TV you bought (the original or the new model), so we can load the correct programming on your specific MOD.
(3) I have been promised by my PCB vendor that more boards will be ready very soon, so it shouldn’t be too much longer. Sorry for the wait.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So is the tv taxman posted in the above link the tv we will need for the mod if we are on the waitlist?

Yes, that is the correct TV. Here's the link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-19-class-18-1-2-diag--led-720p-60hz-hdtv/2799043.p?id=1219077483779&skuId=2799043&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=2

2 weeks later
#159 9 years ago

Good news for you creature fans, we've started production again

RPi.pngRPi.png
2 weeks later
#166 9 years ago

All of the MODs in the upcoming production run have been spoken for. We'll begin contacting folks on the waiting list next week. Here we go.........

#168 9 years ago

The new MODs will now be shipped with RPi B+ boards.

1.png1.png
2.png2.png

Ok, back to work

2 weeks later
#172 9 years ago

If you are interested in purchasing this MOD please email me directly at [email protected]

Yes, we are back in production

1 week later
#178 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

can you drop in animations in for the FILM graphics? Would be cool to have something subtle going on instead of the pop up.
-c

When revamping the MOD for V2.0 we tried converting the FILM images to videos. Ultimately, This just didn’t look as good as the images. Remember, every time you start and stop a video you’ll have some delay (thus a black screen). The hologram lamp trigger is only on for roughly 1 second, so it didn’t make sense to have a one second video –just ended up looking choppy on the LCD. We actually programmed the trigger input to latch in until the FILM image is displayed for 1 second to make the FILM images more substantial. We spent hours toying around with different stuff; we went with what we collectively though looked the best.

Quoted from Taxman:

According to the instructions yes. Each letter of F-I-L-M displays a still picture. The modes display animations.
There should be a FILM sub directory on the USB drive. You put the pictures you want in the folder. It will display them as a picture each time you light a letter. It will increment through the list alphabetticaly and go back to the begining after the last one. Very cool.
So it is not one picture assigned to one letter but a pool of pictures (or just one) for letter lighting.

Yes, you can display as many different images as you want. The only limiting factor is the size of the USB. I have about 40 different ones on my buddy’s machine.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from Twilliams:

This is one of the best mods out there.

For now

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Well MikeD--we'll see! You came up with a solution to something for which there was no good solution--a decaying hologram. The discolored Creature really took a lot of the excitement out of the game. Your video mod not only replaced the hologram with updated technology, it really enhanced the game and made it much more enjoyable. The lagoon window is now a much greater part of the game than it was with the original hologram--it isn't dark 90% of the time. A reached objective or mode start sets of a cool video rather than a quick flash of the Creature--much improved, IMO. Well done--and if you can top this level of game improvement I may have to buy it just to install the mod...

We're working on several really cool WPC MODs, but those would be topics for another thread.

#187 9 years ago

For folks on the waiting list, please be advised that we are taking a few weeks off to finish up some other projects. If you've already received an invoice then you're set; I have your MOD ready to go once payment is received.

We should be back in production by the end of October.

Mike

1 week later
#194 9 years ago

I did get conformation yesterday that GLM will be shipping a small batch of boards later this week. So, we should have a handful of additional units ready for the holiday season. If you’re not on our customer waiting list and you’re interested in one of our CFTBL MODs, please email me at [email protected].

Also, we should have our new Universal WPC Power Supply MOD ready in the next few weeks. This will allow customers to power our LCD MOD (as well as other vendor’s MODs) directly from the service receptacle, bypassing the game’s power driver board. We know CFTBL is a heavily modded game (speaker panel, ColorDMD, speaker kits, etc.), so this will free up your 12v circuit and provide up to 10amps of modding power

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

Hey Mike, how much will those go for?

I haven't worked up an actual cost yet. I'll post here when they are ready along with all the details/specs.

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

Mike called me right away, killer customer support. Walked me through it.The newest mod has a tiny SD card, it wasn't seated all the way in. I didn't even know it was there.

No worries, gald you are enjoying the MOD

3 weeks later
#205 9 years ago

Man, you guys are making me blush

2 weeks later
#213 9 years ago
Quoted from MotoChi:

Mike started this thread a while back, just for that. I've been meaning to post some of my custom images there too, but keep on forgetting to.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballmiked-lcd-mods-video-sharing-thread

Just keep it clean

3 weeks later
#214 9 years ago

Here's our new power supply MOD for the CFTBL LCD MOD:

PMD CFTBL Power Supply.pngPMD CFTBL Power Supply.png

This unit provides up to 15Amps of 120 VAC power (independent of the power driver board) for every creature MOD imaginable. This can be used to power our MOD (RPi & TV) or even a surge protector to accommodate additional MODs, you name it. This unit only powers connected devices when the game is turned on. The power supply MOD is $40 + shipping. Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested in purchasing one.

Here are some pictures of the installation:

The case can be attached to the cabinet wall using double side tape or 1/2" #6 screws (the extra screws you should have after removing the hologram bracket off the bottom of the playfield). You just plug the power cable into the service receptacle as shown. The 12VDC cable used to power the TV is then plugged into the black power box as shown below:

1.png1.png

You can then plug the TV into power MOD (using the factory provided Insignia power cable) or add a power strip for additional connections.

2.png2.png

Here's where I've plugged a phone charger (must be a 5VDC micro USB unit rate for 1Amp or more) into the power supply MOD in order to power the RPi independently of the power driver board.

3.png3.png

So, this isolates the MOD for the game and powers everything from the incoming 120VAC power source at the service outlet.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Mike I thought the utility plug stay energized when the game is in the off position? If so don't the mods stay powered on?

Yes the service receptacle is always hot, but the power supply MOD only passes juice to connected devices when the game is powered up. Take a closer look at the first install pic

1 week later
#221 9 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Is the Red/Black wire powering a relay (or something) within the mod to turn off the power?

Bingo

#222 9 years ago

FYI - I have a few of these currently in stock and available through the web store:

http://pinballmiked.com/?product=cftbl-hologram-mod

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Also it says TV not included in ad but in video it says it is included?

Originally I offered the MOD two ways (with the TV or without). Most people elected to just purchase the TV directly from BestBuy as this was just more convenient and cheaper (I have to put a markup on the TVs to cover my time and expenses). So, now I don't include the TV. However, the price of the MOD is discounted accordingly.

Sorry for the confusion the videos are over 2 years old now.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Just tried to order but it says out of stock.

I only have 2 more units left in this run; I'll get them added to the web store this morning.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Mike I just wanted to make sure you got my order, it should have come from my paypal Tommy Skinner. Thanks.

Got it, I'll get everything packed up this weekend, so it will ship Monday

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Ok great just wanted to make sure since the post above me said out of stock, thanks Mike. Any update on the power supply mod?

I'm working on another batch of these, shouldn't be too much longer. I also need to update the website store to include the PS MOD.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Is this power supply necessary for the mod?

A handful of Creature customers have had power issues, so I wouldn't say the PS MOD is a must have item. However, with CFTBL being a 20+ year old game I have know way of know what the condition of your power drive board might be. The PS MOD simply eliminates the potential for the PD board becoming an issue. We actually created the PS MOD in order to power another product we're working on.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from hoopstar:

Question: why does it only work with the Insignia NS-19E310NA15 model TV?
Living in Oz and wanting to buy this mod makes that particular requirement even more expensive than something I could source locally.

Initially, we looked at building our own screens, but it was actually more expensive. The RPi's boot time, TV's screen resolution, placement of the graphics in relation to the playfield window, TV's mounting hole layout, TV's low power draw, and the fact that the TV is powered 12VDC all played a part in why we chose the Insignia TV.

In order to ensure an alternative monitor would work we'd have to thoroughly test it first. This means I'd probably need to modify the mounting stand and graphics to accommodate a different TV. Then I'd have to sell multiple version of the MOD, which just gets confusing and creates opportunities to make mistakes.

3 weeks later
#248 9 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

Hey Mike,
Any plans for another run of these? I know of someone whose Creech's holo is toast. Thanks.

Yes, I'm working on another batch now. I hope to have them ready in a few weeks. I'll post when they are ready to go.

1 week later
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I could use one when you do another run. Are you keeping a list or do I need to send you a PM?

Shoot me an email and I'll drop you a line when more are ready. Slowly but surely I'm getting the website up to date, adding all the new MODs to the store page. Moving forward that will be the place to go. It's just easier for everybody.

2 weeks later
#256 9 years ago

More units will be in stock by the end of next week (3/6/15)

1 week later
#258 9 years ago

No, we've delayed the release to account for some needed program changes (new version of RPi = new SD card image). That's why we bench test everything before it ships. Sorry for the delay.

#260 9 years ago

3/11/15

They're backkkk!!!!!

#261 9 years ago

Only have a few of these left.

#262 9 years ago

Down to two units.

#263 9 years ago

We're currently sold out of this product. If you missed out we'll be doing a small production run in April.

#265 9 years ago

Everything you need to know about the CFTBL Power Supply MOD

PMD CFTBL Power Supply.pngPMD CFTBL Power Supply.png

Ok, so what is the "Power Supply MOD" and what does it do?

The PS MOD was designed to power the PMD CFTBL LCD MOD independently from the pinball machine's power driver board. The PS MOD plugs directly into the game's 120VAC service outlet, so it's important to note that this MOD will not work for pinball machines outside of the US. The PS MOD utilizes the game's 12V circuit to determine when the machine is power on or off. Therefore, devices connected to the PS MOD will only be energized when the pinball machine is turn on.

Great, so why would I need the Power Supply MOD?

The true is most people probably don't need this product. We designed this MOD solely to accommodate customers with weak/questionable power diver boards. Remember, the LCD MOD utilizes the pinball machine's 12V circuit to power the Insignia TV and the game's flasher circuit to power the Raspberry Pi. If your game's 12V circuit is overloaded then you may lose power to the TV. Likewise, if your flasher circuit is overtaxed the Raspberry Pi may experience a voltage drop, forcing it to reboot (like the infamous BR2 MPU reboot scenario commonly seen in WPC machines). We use the flasher circuit to generate 5VDC power for the Raspberry Pi, hence the large heat sink on the LCD MOD's interface board. Anyway, if the 5VDC power drops too low, even for a few milliseconds, the RPi will reboot. Then you'll see a "NO SIGNAL" message appear on your TV screen.

Ok, so I want to use the PS MOD to power the LCD MOD, do I need anything else?

Yes, you'll need a 5VDC 1A (or greater) micro USB wall charger. Here's the one I use to bench test every CFTBL LCD MOD prior to shipping:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-AC1U2M.html

5VDC Micro USB Charger.png5VDC Micro USB Charger.png

This unit is available at your local BestBuy. It's rated for 2.4Amps, so it has more than enough power to run the RPi. You could probably find one cheaper at Amazon, just make sure it meets the specs listed above.

You'll also need a power strip, like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-outlet-surge-protector/5741024.p?id=1219153732253&skuId=5741024

Power Strip.pngPower Strip.png

Here's a cheaper option from Home Depot (Only $3.72):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Belkin-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-F9P609-03-DP/100654575?N=5yc1vZc4o9

Hopefully, you kept your TV's power cable. If you didn't then you'll need a 12VDC power adapter like this one:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-office/NS-AC501.html

12VDC power Adapter.png12VDC power Adapter.png

I'm sure cheaper alternatives are available, just have to shop around.

So, how do I hook all this stuff up?

(0) UNPLUG YOUR PINBALL MACHINE FROM THE WALL OUTLET!!!! Remember the service outlet is hot even when the pinball machine is powered off.

(1) Install the PS MOD, mounting it to the side of your cabinet as show in the picture below:

PS MOD Install Step 1.pngPS MOD Install Step 1.png

Use 1/2" #6 screws to mount the PS MOD (you should have a few that were removed during the install of the LCD MOD).

(2) Now, plug the male pig tail into the service outlet and plug your power strip (or power splitter) into the female outlet connector on the PS MOD as shown in the picture below:

PS MOD Install Step 2.pngPS MOD Install Step 2.png

(3) Unplug the LCD MOD's 12VDC power cable from the TV and plug it into the PS MOD as shown in the picture above. Again, this is how the PS MOD knows when the pinball machine is powered up.

(4) Now, plug the 5VDC Micro USB Charger into the power strip (or power splitter) and connect the RPi as shown in the pictures below:

PS MOD Install Step 3.pngPS MOD Install Step 3.png
PS MOD Install Step 4.pngPS MOD Install Step 4.png

(5) Now, plug the TV's 12VDC power cable into the power strip (or power splitter) and connect the other end to the TV.

(6) Route the power adapter cables around the TV stand, so they don't obstruct your view of the TV.

(7) Finally, you can now plug the pinball machine back into the wall outlet.

Ok, I installed the PS MOD as described above, but now my MOD doesn't boot up - what gives?

For the MOD to properly work, the TV must be energized first. When the Raspberry Pi boots up it will scan it's HDMI port looking for any connected device, so if the RPi boots up before the TV it won't see anything connected to it's HDMI port and the MOD will not activate the video player. Because your 12VDC adapter is larger than your 5VDC adapter, it takes slightly longer to power up the 12VDC adapter on a cold start.

Ok, so how do we get around this scenario?

DON'T PANIC

You just need to adjust the "boot_delay" setting on your MOD's SD card. With your game powered off, remove the SD card (or Micro SD card - depending on which version of the LCD MOD you own) form the Raspberry Pi. Plug the SD card into your computer. FYI - you don't need a PC to edit this file. In fact, I'm type this write up on my MAC, so I'll demonstrate how to make this simple adjustment using a MAC.

Open the SD card and you'll find a file named "config.txt" on the root of the SD card as shown in the picture below:

Config.pngConfig.png

Open the "Config.txt" file and scroll to the bottom. In this example you'll see "boot_delay=2", see picture below:

Boot Delay.pngBoot Delay.png

In this case I'd change the 2 out with a 3 and test the MOD to see if the adjustment made a difference. Every game is different, so there isn't a fixed value that will universally work for every Creature pinball machine. Plus, the boot delay is heavily dependent on what adapters you're using with the PS MOD. If a value of 3 doesn't fix the problem then try a value of 4, and so on. I've had guys report anywhere from 2 to 6 (also, only use integer values for the boot delay parameter).

An important thing to remember, is that this problem is often only seen on a cold boot up. So, if you power your game up for 2 minutes then power it back off and on the MOD will probably work just fine. This is because the circuits in both the 5V and 12V adapters have a capacitor that will hold the charge (thus they stay warm for a certain amount of time). So, make sure you test your boot delay adjustment when the pinball machine is cold, meaning it hasn't been powered up recently.

I hope this info helps.

#267 9 years ago

You just plug the original TV adapter into the power strip on the 120VAC side and then plug the 12VDC round barrel connector into the TV (basically like you're setting up the TV if you purchased it for conventional use). The power cable that came with the MOD (what is currently being used to power the TV) must be plugged into the PS MOD. Hope this answers the question.

#268 9 years ago

Doing one more small run and then it's nothing but SDMD's for the foreseeable future.

I've updated the inventory at the web store for those interested.

3 weeks later
#272 9 years ago

Due to my current work load outside of pinball, I’m only going to do one more batch of CFTBL MODs until the holiday season. I’ll post when more units are available and in stock.

2 weeks later
#274 8 years ago

I have a few of these available if anyone is interested. I'll be taking a break for a few months and focusing on some other projects, so this is the last batch for awhile.

1 week later
#277 8 years ago

Sorry, this item is currently out of stock.

We'll be doing another run later this year.

1 week later
#278 8 years ago

Good news, just got some more boards from GLM

I should have some more units ready to go by the end of the week.

CFTBL.jpgCFTBL.jpg

#280 8 years ago

The web store has been updated, more units in stock. However, I will be traveling out of the country from 6/5 through 6/15, so I'll only be able to ship product until next Thursday (6/4).

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Any power mod kits available? I'd really like one for my game.

Not at this time.

Here's a link for folks interested in building their own power MOD:

http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx

FYI - some Creature pinball machine's 12V circuit runs hot and the 12 volts is more like 13 volts. In that case you'd need to modify the board (this is what I do), replacing the resistors to accommodate the higher voltage.

#284 8 years ago

Moving forward I'll be shifting all PMD restoration & MOD updates to our new Facebook page.

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

What's the facebook name Mike?

I'll post a link when it goes live, but it will be PinballMikeD

1 week later
1 week later
#288 8 years ago

Only 4 more units left. Once these are gone this MOD is being retired, at least for 2015 anyway.

2 months later
#293 8 years ago

Due to my current work schedule, the next batch of CFTBL MODs will not be manufactured until 2016. Sorry for the delay.

3 months later
#312 8 years ago

To all,

Due to my increased professional and family responsibilities, I will not be able to make any CFTBL MODs in the foreseeable future. I'll post more info regarding this project if/when things change. Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

Regards,

Mike

#324 8 years ago

Don't worry, more will get made. I'm just slammed at work right now. I'm sorry I couldn't get another batch done sooner

2 months later
#345 8 years ago

PMD is still around

I'm just in the middle of relocating, so everything in my workshop is packed up for the move.

Work_Shop_(resized).JPGWork_Shop_(resized).JPG
Work_Shop2_(resized).JPGWork_Shop2_(resized).JPG

Plus, I'm busy doing other stuff 7 days a week at the moment, pinball doesn't pay the bills:

Work_(resized).JPGWork_(resized).JPG

But, don't worry.... CFTBL LCD MOD Version 3 is in the works

CFTBL2_(resized).JPGCFTBL2_(resized).JPG
CFTBL1_(resized).JPGCFTBL1_(resized).JPG

For the new version we're moving everything (except the TV of course) to the back box, so it will be much easier to install.

Once I get the new workshop up and running I'll get back to modding and restoration work.

#348 8 years ago

Don't buy a tv as the new version may use a different model.

#353 8 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Hi Mike - where did the sound board go in your game?

Smoked it goofing around.

2 weeks later
#354 8 years ago

Sorry guys, I've run into numerous supplier issues and my work life doesn't appear to be easing up anytime soon. Therefore, I've decide to discontinue this product. I hate leaving people hanging, but I just don't see a realistic time frame for making anymore of these MODs in the foreseeable future.

#368 8 years ago

Videos are back up.

3 months later
#379 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Has anyone had to redo their SD card with their mod? I am in need of some help being walked through the process to get my mod working again. Thank you. -Tommy

I'll give you a call this afternoon.

4 weeks later
#386 7 years ago

I'm sure I'll make more, just taking a break from creature.

2 months later
#387 7 years ago

Over the past 6 months I’ve received numerous requests to bring this MOD back. Therefore, we’ll be rerunning a new and improved version of the CFTBL MOD in 2017. With that said, this will be the LAST production run. Please don’t email me about a waiting list. Once they’re ready I’ll post an announcement.

Regards,

Mike

1 month later
#431 7 years ago

Sorry guys. Hurricane Matthew has changed my priorities at this juncture in time. It appears half the walls in my home are rotting out (would have been nice to know prior to purchasing).

Wall Rot1 (resized).jpgWall Rot1 (resized).jpg
Wall Rot2 (resized).jpgWall Rot2 (resized).jpg

Anyway, I'll be taking a break from pinball for the foreseeable future until I can get my home in order. I have no idea how long this will take, but I'm sure it will all work out - just a pain in the......

Keep on flipping.

1 month later
#444 7 years ago

Progress is being made

digging #1 (resized).JPGdigging #1 (resized).JPG
digging (resized).JPGdigging (resized).JPG
digging #2 (resized).JPGdigging #2 (resized).JPG
digging #3 (resized).JPGdigging #3 (resized).JPG
digging #4 (resized).JPGdigging #4 (resized).JPG

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

has the wife complained about how much you've ruined the landscaping yet?

No, she knows it's necessary to address our water issues. We still have a long way to go, but it's getting better

1 month later
#453 7 years ago

To all,

I've decided to pull the plug on resurrecting this MOD. With everything going on in my life, I just don't have enough time to start anymore pinball projects. As always, I'll continue to support any/all existing PMD customers, just shoot me an email.

Regards,

Mike

1 week later
#471 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

way to take the coward's way out you wuss. I'll be sure to mail you a new dress and apron too!

Don't you have some lighted leg protectors to make clock boy!!!!!!

#474 7 years ago

First of all, the MOD isn’t looking at the switch matrix. The MOD’s RPi intercepts trigger signals from the lamp matrix via the GPIO inputs.

Video start/stop delays are programmed to ensure modes aren’t activated/de-activated by false trigger conditions – this was done intentionally. For example, every lamp in the game blinks when an extra ball is awarded, so we had to program around game play conditions like this that would falsely activate (or deactivate) videos features. In addition, we wanted to give people the ability to load their own videos for every interactive feature, regardless of the file format (.mov, .avi, etc.). Loading videos on the fly does add some processing delay. However, the flexibility of giving users unlimited customizable videos for every game mode is the best part of the MOD – just my opinion.

The GPU on the RPi is fine.

There is no current BOM that is relevant, virtually everything has changed: RPI, TV, etc.

This MOD would have to be re-engineered from the ground up. This is why I pulled the plug, just don't have time at the moment.

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That makes sense. However, in my view it does break immersion quite significantly with some of the delays ... particularly where there's a significant pause at the start of a mode in the game itself, and then the media only begins playing some time after the pause (by which time you're conce trating more on the ball than the pf window).
Others may disagree, but I think it's definitely something worth experimenting with, if this is to be resurrected.

No doubt, everything can be improved

#492 7 years ago

I'm requesting this thread be closed.

I don't care if someone wants to make their own version of the CFTBL MOD, but it should be advertised/promoted elsewhere. Also, the artwork you utilize for the videos features (if you're selling a knockoff) should be original, not the PMD files. I paid royalties for the artwork utilized in my MOD, so please create your own artwork. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-cftbl-lcd-hologram-mod-version-20?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.