digging (resized).JPG
digging #1 (resized).JPG
digging #2 (resized).JPG
digging #3 (resized).JPG
digging #4 (resized).JPG
Wall Rot2 (resized).jpg
Wall Rot1 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I could use one when you do another run. Are you keeping a list or do I need to send you a PM?

Shoot me an email and I'll drop you a line when more are ready. Slowly but surely I'm getting the website up to date, adding all the new MODs to the store page. Moving forward that will be the place to go. It's just easier for everybody.

#253 9 years ago

Do you ship o/s?
I checked the site and there is no shipping calculator for outside of the US.

#254 9 years ago

Ooops, I just saw the email instructions for International customers.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Ooops, I just saw the email instructions for International customers.

Yeah thanks for mentioning that, I didn't notice and sent him an apparently unnecessary PM.

2 weeks later
#256 9 years ago

More units will be in stock by the end of next week (3/6/15)

1 week later
#257 9 years ago

Can I assume that you are back ordered again since the site shows out of stock?

#258 9 years ago

No, we've delayed the release to account for some needed program changes (new version of RPi = new SD card image). That's why we bench test everything before it ships. Sorry for the delay.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

Can I assume that you are back ordered again since the site shows out of stock?

Send Mike a pm

#260 9 years ago

3/11/15

They're backkkk!!!!!

#261 9 years ago

Only have a few of these left.

#262 9 years ago

Down to two units.

#263 9 years ago

We're currently sold out of this product. If you missed out we'll be doing a small production run in April.

#264 9 years ago

Got mine installed yesterday and it's awesome! My favorite part with this and the AC/DC mod is adding my own videos and images.

Upon installation I thought I screwed something up as the video didn't come on at all. Then about 10 minutes into it, I figured out that I'ma dum dum since I left the USB drive in my computer for all the files and never put it back into the RPi. Put the USB back in, and nothing is better than seeing that LCD come on for the first time.

#265 9 years ago

Everything you need to know about the CFTBL Power Supply MOD

PMD CFTBL Power Supply.pngPMD CFTBL Power Supply.png

Ok, so what is the "Power Supply MOD" and what does it do?

The PS MOD was designed to power the PMD CFTBL LCD MOD independently from the pinball machine's power driver board. The PS MOD plugs directly into the game's 120VAC service outlet, so it's important to note that this MOD will not work for pinball machines outside of the US. The PS MOD utilizes the game's 12V circuit to determine when the machine is power on or off. Therefore, devices connected to the PS MOD will only be energized when the pinball machine is turn on.

Great, so why would I need the Power Supply MOD?

The true is most people probably don't need this product. We designed this MOD solely to accommodate customers with weak/questionable power diver boards. Remember, the LCD MOD utilizes the pinball machine's 12V circuit to power the Insignia TV and the game's flasher circuit to power the Raspberry Pi. If your game's 12V circuit is overloaded then you may lose power to the TV. Likewise, if your flasher circuit is overtaxed the Raspberry Pi may experience a voltage drop, forcing it to reboot (like the infamous BR2 MPU reboot scenario commonly seen in WPC machines). We use the flasher circuit to generate 5VDC power for the Raspberry Pi, hence the large heat sink on the LCD MOD's interface board. Anyway, if the 5VDC power drops too low, even for a few milliseconds, the RPi will reboot. Then you'll see a "NO SIGNAL" message appear on your TV screen.

Ok, so I want to use the PS MOD to power the LCD MOD, do I need anything else?

Yes, you'll need a 5VDC 1A (or greater) micro USB wall charger. Here's the one I use to bench test every CFTBL LCD MOD prior to shipping:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-AC1U2M.html

5VDC Micro USB Charger.png5VDC Micro USB Charger.png

This unit is available at your local BestBuy. It's rated for 2.4Amps, so it has more than enough power to run the RPi. You could probably find one cheaper at Amazon, just make sure it meets the specs listed above.

You'll also need a power strip, like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-outlet-surge-protector/5741024.p?id=1219153732253&skuId=5741024

Power Strip.pngPower Strip.png

Here's a cheaper option from Home Depot (Only $3.72):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Belkin-6-Outlet-Power-Strip-F9P609-03-DP/100654575?N=5yc1vZc4o9

Hopefully, you kept your TV's power cable. If you didn't then you'll need a 12VDC power adapter like this one:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-office/NS-AC501.html

12VDC power Adapter.png12VDC power Adapter.png

I'm sure cheaper alternatives are available, just have to shop around.

So, how do I hook all this stuff up?

(0) UNPLUG YOUR PINBALL MACHINE FROM THE WALL OUTLET!!!! Remember the service outlet is hot even when the pinball machine is powered off.

(1) Install the PS MOD, mounting it to the side of your cabinet as show in the picture below:

PS MOD Install Step 1.pngPS MOD Install Step 1.png

Use 1/2" #6 screws to mount the PS MOD (you should have a few that were removed during the install of the LCD MOD).

(2) Now, plug the male pig tail into the service outlet and plug your power strip (or power splitter) into the female outlet connector on the PS MOD as shown in the picture below:

PS MOD Install Step 2.pngPS MOD Install Step 2.png

(3) Unplug the LCD MOD's 12VDC power cable from the TV and plug it into the PS MOD as shown in the picture above. Again, this is how the PS MOD knows when the pinball machine is powered up.

(4) Now, plug the 5VDC Micro USB Charger into the power strip (or power splitter) and connect the RPi as shown in the pictures below:

PS MOD Install Step 3.pngPS MOD Install Step 3.png
PS MOD Install Step 4.pngPS MOD Install Step 4.png

(5) Now, plug the TV's 12VDC power cable into the power strip (or power splitter) and connect the other end to the TV.

(6) Route the power adapter cables around the TV stand, so they don't obstruct your view of the TV.

(7) Finally, you can now plug the pinball machine back into the wall outlet.

Ok, I installed the PS MOD as described above, but now my MOD doesn't boot up - what gives?

For the MOD to properly work, the TV must be energized first. When the Raspberry Pi boots up it will scan it's HDMI port looking for any connected device, so if the RPi boots up before the TV it won't see anything connected to it's HDMI port and the MOD will not activate the video player. Because your 12VDC adapter is larger than your 5VDC adapter, it takes slightly longer to power up the 12VDC adapter on a cold start.

Ok, so how do we get around this scenario?

DON'T PANIC

You just need to adjust the "boot_delay" setting on your MOD's SD card. With your game powered off, remove the SD card (or Micro SD card - depending on which version of the LCD MOD you own) form the Raspberry Pi. Plug the SD card into your computer. FYI - you don't need a PC to edit this file. In fact, I'm type this write up on my MAC, so I'll demonstrate how to make this simple adjustment using a MAC.

Open the SD card and you'll find a file named "config.txt" on the root of the SD card as shown in the picture below:

Config.pngConfig.png

Open the "Config.txt" file and scroll to the bottom. In this example you'll see "boot_delay=2", see picture below:

Boot Delay.pngBoot Delay.png

In this case I'd change the 2 out with a 3 and test the MOD to see if the adjustment made a difference. Every game is different, so there isn't a fixed value that will universally work for every Creature pinball machine. Plus, the boot delay is heavily dependent on what adapters you're using with the PS MOD. If a value of 3 doesn't fix the problem then try a value of 4, and so on. I've had guys report anywhere from 2 to 6 (also, only use integer values for the boot delay parameter).

An important thing to remember, is that this problem is often only seen on a cold boot up. So, if you power your game up for 2 minutes then power it back off and on the MOD will probably work just fine. This is because the circuits in both the 5V and 12V adapters have a capacitor that will hold the charge (thus they stay warm for a certain amount of time). So, make sure you test your boot delay adjustment when the pinball machine is cold, meaning it hasn't been powered up recently.

I hope this info helps.

#266 9 years ago

MikeD, If you have to use the power adaptor for the TV, how does that hook in?

#267 9 years ago

You just plug the original TV adapter into the power strip on the 120VAC side and then plug the 12VDC round barrel connector into the TV (basically like you're setting up the TV if you purchased it for conventional use). The power cable that came with the MOD (what is currently being used to power the TV) must be plugged into the PS MOD. Hope this answers the question.

#268 9 years ago

Doing one more small run and then it's nothing but SDMD's for the foreseeable future.

I've updated the inventory at the web store for those interested.

#269 9 years ago

I recently got very lucky on the latest and last run of the creature mod from Mike's team... I have to say its absolutely amazing! Just genius...Extremely well thought out and put together. Mike went above and beyond on extra customer service as well (Thanks again Mike!). Had it installed in a half hour with zero issues. If your thinking about pulling the trigger on the next run, definitely pull it!
Congratulations to Mike and his team on there success, and wish them even more success in the near future.

#270 9 years ago

Just order mine, they are up for grabs again!!!

1 week later
#271 9 years ago

Its is now in the house, and will shortly be in my Creech!!!!! Wohoo!!! Thanks to Mike and his team!!! Best mod ever!!!

1 week later
#272 9 years ago

Due to my current work load outside of pinball, I’m only going to do one more batch of CFTBL MODs until the holiday season. I’ll post when more units are available and in stock.

#273 9 years ago

If anyone is sitting on the fence about this mod, my recommendation is to buy it now. I believe it adds so much to the game as compared to the Creature hologram. If CFTBL were designed and built today, it would have this type of display under the window.

2 weeks later
#274 8 years ago

I have a few of these available if anyone is interested. I'll be taking a break for a few months and focusing on some other projects, so this is the last batch for awhile.

#275 8 years ago

Man Mike, do i need to buy another one now just in case? This is a must have mod for me now.

1 week later
#276 8 years ago

Im ready to buy one finally. PM me please

#277 8 years ago

Sorry, this item is currently out of stock.

We'll be doing another run later this year.

1 week later
#278 8 years ago

Good news, just got some more boards from GLM

I should have some more units ready to go by the end of the week.

CFTBL.jpgCFTBL.jpg

#279 8 years ago

The Insignia 19" TV's are on sale right now at Best Buy, for $79.99 with free shipping

Just search for: NS-19E310NA15 (SKU: 2799043)

#280 8 years ago

The web store has been updated, more units in stock. However, I will be traveling out of the country from 6/5 through 6/15, so I'll only be able to ship product until next Thursday (6/4).

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

The web store has been updated, more units in stock. However, I will be traveling out of the country from 6/5 through 6/15, so I'll only be able to ship product until next Thursday (6/4).

Order placed! Thanks for making these available again.

#282 8 years ago

Any power mod kits available? I'd really like one for my game.

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Any power mod kits available? I'd really like one for my game.

Not at this time.

Here's a link for folks interested in building their own power MOD:

http://www.powerswitchtail.com/Pages/default.aspx

FYI - some Creature pinball machine's 12V circuit runs hot and the 12 volts is more like 13 volts. In that case you'd need to modify the board (this is what I do), replacing the resistors to accommodate the higher voltage.

#284 8 years ago

Moving forward I'll be shifting all PMD restoration & MOD updates to our new Facebook page.

#285 8 years ago

What's the facebook name Mike?

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

What's the facebook name Mike?

I'll post a link when it goes live, but it will be PinballMikeD

1 week later
1 week later
#288 8 years ago

Only 4 more units left. Once these are gone this MOD is being retired, at least for 2015 anyway.

1 week later
#289 8 years ago

Just got me a CFTBL this weekend and want this mod. Any chance I can get one soon?

1 week later
#290 8 years ago

^^this! Me too!

#291 8 years ago

Dude I missed out I was keen I just was broke at the time I will have to contact and preorder or something.

#292 8 years ago

I'm also in for one when they come back. I got my screech a week after they sold out.

1 month later
#293 8 years ago

Due to my current work schedule, the next batch of CFTBL MODs will not be manufactured until 2016. Sorry for the delay.

#294 8 years ago

Put me down for one please. Ill pay extra to get it before Halloween!

#295 8 years ago

I would also like one.

1 month later
#296 8 years ago

Add me to the waiting list. Much appreciated.

1 week later
#297 8 years ago

Edit: gone. There sure are a lot of people interested in this mod...

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

I have one of these mods new + the required monitor that I never used. Never picked up the CFTBL that I was expecting to. If someone doesn't want to wait, send me a PM.

PM sent

#299 8 years ago

Yep sign me up for one as well. I always seem to be late to the party

#300 8 years ago

If anyone else has another one of these mods for sale I'm after one.

Cheers, Kris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 24.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
There are 495 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-cftbl-lcd-hologram-mod-version-20/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.