39.png
38.png
37.png
36.JPG
35.png
34.png
32.png
29.png
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

With Centaur out of the way it’s time to start another restoration project (well, actually 4 or 5 projects). I’m going to be working with my buddy Mike W. on several machines simultaneously, so this should be an interested thread. We’ll be bouncing around all over the place, working on the following titles: MM, TOM, RS, and MB. Plus, I might find a way to squeeze my SM in along the way

I love reading restoration threads, especially when details are provided, so I’ll do my best to document our process along the way. First, let me say that anybody can restore a pinball machine; it’s just a matter of time and money (of course the real secret is the money – “over the top restorations” are expensive regardless of who’s doing the work). Remember, at some point in time every guy restoring pinball machines had zero experience (so, don't be dissuaded from starting your own project).

For me this is a hobby and it’s supposed to be fun. I wouldn’t know half the things I do if it wasn’t for the willingness of other pinball enthusiasts to share their restoration experiences. So, much of what will be posted has already been posted, but it never hurts to say it again. I’d like to pay it forward, so I hope you guys enjoy. Oh, and feel free to share your own tips/tricks along the way. I love to learn new things; life would get pretty boring otherwise.

#2 10 years ago

Look forward to seeing what you do next.

Keep up the good work.

#3 10 years ago

Mike, the AFM that I saw you put up is super sweet...great work and look forward to seeing these machines come back to Cherry condition

#4 10 years ago

Mike, I thought you were gonna show us how to restore a Midway Rampage video game. I'm bummed. Just kidding, looking forward to this. Between you and Bryan I now have two threads to look forward to every day. Love your work.

#5 10 years ago

Alright, first up - guide rails (might as well get this stuff out of the way, Ugh). I think this is one of everybody's favorite chores

This box is full of various parts from several machines. Let's take a look and see what fun awaits.

1.png1.png

#6 10 years ago

Might as well start with the MB ramps. These guys always take a beating, the right ramp in particular, especially when the game was RUO (route use only). The mounting tabs used to secure the blue rubber bumper pads often break, hence the massive dents in both the left and right sides at the entrance. Well, this stuff is never easy right

2.png2.png

Here's a closer look

3.png3.png

#7 10 years ago

Time to break out the welding machine.

4a.png4a.png

Ok, just kidding. Lets use the small guy, after all we're only welding metal that's a 1/16" thick

4b.png4b.png

#8 10 years ago

There are a bevy of issues to address, so lets start with the dents. First, we're going to TIG weld some 316L stainless filling rod onto the dented ramp areas. This is done to fill in the voids, which allows the ramp to be manipulated back to it's original factory shape.

5.png5.png
6.png6.png

#9 10 years ago

Ok, now it's time to use a grinding wheel and remove the excess metal.

7.png7.png

#10 10 years ago

Mike
Love your work
Keep it up with lots of pics

#11 10 years ago

God bless the guy who invented the die grinder. This is one of my favorite tools.

The only issue with a die grinder is that you need some serious air flow to drive it. This particular grinder requires 10-15 cfm at roughly 80-100 psi for continuous operation. That means a pancake compressor isn't going to cut the mustard, so pony up and get a nice compressor - you'll be happy you did

8.png8.png

Ok, time to clean up and deburr the areas we welded and grinded

9.png9.png

#12 10 years ago

Alright, now it's time to address the broken mounts. Originally, the ramp used hex rivet nuts (pressed into the sides of the ramp) to attach the exterior metal brackets used to hold the blue rubber bumpers in place. As you can see those are long gone.

3.png3.png

So, we've tack welded 4-40 nuts on to the outer sides of the ramps over the original holes. Then we back filled the original holes with filler rod and used a die grinder to remove any excess metal. Now the ramp is ready for chrome plating. Well, more prep work is required, but that's Mr. Chestnut's responsibility

Once the bumpers are re-installed you'd never know all the work that was needed to address this one ramp. Crazy right?

10.png10.png
11.png11.png

#13 10 years ago

Damn Mike, you remind me that you just don't know how much you don't know! Thanks for all the pointers.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Damn Mike, you remind me that you just don't know how much you don't know! Thanks for all the pointers.

Ha. That one took me a minute

#15 10 years ago

Alright, lets re-grain a guide rail. I cover this in one of my MB videos (can't remember which one), so I won't get to detailed.

12.png12.png

Basically, when a pinball rubs up against a guide rail it's actually polishing the metal. Over time this metal-on-metal contact creates a "trail", which is actually a polished area on the guide rail. Heavily used games will actually have "tracks" worn into the guide rails.

#16 10 years ago

So, in the MB video I demonstrate how to use a dremel to re-grain rails, but since I have a die grinder available I'll use it instead (more power = less work). Here's the same rail shown above after 10 seconds of grinding.

13.png13.png

The area in the right side of the picture (this is the section that I used the die grinder on) is pretty clean after just a few seconds. As a side note, make sure you grind in the direction of the metal grain. Now, here's the same rail after 2 minutes of grinding. Much improved.

14.png14.png

You can still see the "track" in the middle of the rail, so this will require a little more work using a more aggressive grinding wheel. Anyway, you get the idea.

#17 10 years ago

Now it's time to use the Scotch-Brite pads. I use a coarse pad and then step down to a medium grit pad. Again, go with the metal grain. Also, don't use a contaminated pad. Believe it or not 304 stainless steel can rust if you imbed other metals into it (like carbon steel for example). So, always use the same SB pads for re-graining; when they wear out get new ones. In other words, don't use your re-graining pads for anything other than re-graining (one pad per type of metal). Ok, so how long should you do this, scrubbing guide rails with SB pads? Do it until you're happy with the results. Typically this only takes a few minutes because the die grinder did all the real work.

Later I'll buff all the rails to a mirrored chrome like finish. I do this because it greatly minimizes future ball "trails" as the entire guide rail is now polished, not just the section where the ball makes contact during game play. Also, if you don't buff your rails then you'll see "trails" after about 100 games, sometimes even less. Once the buffing is done, I'll remove, clean, and re-rivet the mounting posts. I do this because the re-graining process removes the zinc plating off the face of the rivets, exposing the brass underneath. Personally, I don't want to see a brass rivet on a nice shiny chrome like rail. Anyway, more on buffing later.

15.png15.png

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Now it's time to use the Scotch-Brite pads. I use a course pad and then step down to a medium grit pad. Again, go with the metal grain. Also, don't use a contaminated pad. Believe it or not 304 stainless steel can rust if you imbed other metals into it (like carbon steel for example). So, always use the same SB pads for re-graining; when they wear out get new ones. Ok, so how long should you do this, scrubbing guide rails with SB pads? Do it until you're happy with the results.
Later I'll buff all the rails to a mirrored chrome like finish. I do this because it greatly minimizes future ball trails as the entire guide rail is now polished, not just the section where the ball will rub. If you don't buff your rails then you'll see trails after about 100 games.

Very nice info. Thanks for doing this.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Very nice info. Thanks for doing this.

No problem.

#20 10 years ago

Agreed! I love well-documented process posts and this is shaping up quite nicely. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing you make your way through these machines.

Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#21 10 years ago

OK, lets change directions for a moment and take a look at MM.

FYI - This is a new Doug Huse cabinet I just received from a customer.

16.png16.png
17.png17.png

Nice....

#22 10 years ago

Lets take a look inside. Hummm, that leg bracket looks a little dull to me.

18.png18.png

#23 10 years ago

Oh screw it, lets go ahead and buff all the leg plates. It will only take a few minutes and it's the extra details that make the difference right? Plus, I made Mike W. do all the buffing work

19.png19.png

The leg plates were buffed with blue craftsman jewelers rouge (you can pick some up at Sears). As a side note, the piece of PVC shown in the picture above is a great tool for holding pinballs when buffing.
20.png20.png

To remove the rouge I used some Westley's Bleche-Wite (the good stuff - nice to have a stash) and a soft bristle tooth brush. A few squirts of BW, a little elbow grease, rinse with water, then dry the plate off with a clean micro fiber cloth.

#24 10 years ago

I like to use Mothers Mag for the finishing touch. Rub some on the leg plate with a clean rag; a little will go a long way. Then use a clean shop paper towel to remove the Mothers Mag.

21.png21.png

The picture above shows what was removed after using the Mothers Mag. The picture below should give you an idea of how nicely a crappy piece of metal can be made to look when you're willing to spend a little time.

22.png22.png

#25 10 years ago

Bling Bling.....

23.png23.png
#26 10 years ago

For the sake of comparison, here are the before and after pics:

Before

18.png18.png

After

24.png24.png
25.png25.png

This process can be used on all sorts of metal parts inside a pinball machine. However, you don't want to buff too hard or you'll cut through the zinc plating. As an alternative, if you end up buffing off the zinc coating, you can clear coat the metal parts after degreasing them. Clear coating is more work, but more durable in the long haul. There are a ton of different ways to do this stuff, so take this for what it's worth

#27 10 years ago

OK, time to attach the legs.

26.png26.png
#28 10 years ago

Alright, at this point in time I'm sure everybody has discovered the new "Stern Style" leg protectors. If you haven't, they look like this:

27.png27.png

These are great, especially for cabinets that have been redecalled, because they prevent the legs from actually touching the cabinet once they're installed (in theory this should minimize future peeling around the legs).

The install is pretty easy. Just hold the protector against the cabinet, aligning the holes in the protector with the ones in the cabinet. Then install two screws (provided with the leg protectors) to hold the protector in place. Once the leg protector is installed I like to score the decals around the edges of the plate using an Exacto knife. Why? Well, once a leg is installed pressure is continuously applied to the area underneath the leg protector. That force pushes away from the corner across the face and side of the cabinet. By scoring the decals you create a relief point/boundary. So, when the pinball machine is tilted during game play and the legs flex, that force shouldn't pass the relief line. Anyway, this is a variation on an HEP tip I picked up a few years ago (thanks Chris).

28.png28.png

Another thing to look for is gauld threads in the leg plates. It's always prudent to run a tap through each bolt hole before installing the leg bolts. At $20 for a set of chromed leg bolts this is a no-brainer

#29 10 years ago

What to do with all these transformers?

29.png29.png

#30 10 years ago

Here's a good before and after comparison picture:

30.png30.png

The transformer on the left needs to be cleaned up. The transformer on the right has been cleaned and repainted.

So, here's what I do: (1) Remove the L-brackets, which is the bulk of the work, (2) carefully clean the wires using Purple Power and a tooth brush, (3) use a clean rag to dry all the wires off and remove any residual Purple Power, (4) use blue 3M painters tape to wrap all the wires leaving only the metal sections of the transformer exposed, (5) use a coarse Scotch-Brite pad to scuff up the metal portion of the transformer, (6) blow off any dirt/dust with compressed air, (7) use a tack rag to remove any remaining dirt/dust, (8) use Rust-Oleum 2X Gloss Black Painters Touch rattle cans to paint the transformer. I do several light coats; waiting 24 hours in between coats.

I know, you don't even see the transformer once the game is assembled, but it looks so much better this way

#31 10 years ago

OFF TOPIC POST

I love getting new toys

Today I started renovating my garage, converting it into a climate controlled work space for future pinball restoration work. Down here in FL it gets hot, really hot. Plus, the humidity is just brutal - but we never have to shovel snow

Anyway, I had some electrical upgrades made and installed a mini-split AC system today. Here are some before photos:

1.png1.png
2.png2.png

#32 10 years ago

Homes are built so cheaply these days. Everything is bare bones, like your electrical power panel for example. If you have any extra breakers in your panel you're lucky. So, I added a 100Amp subpanel to handle my future toys

3.png3.png

Here's a tip (whether you are building a workshop or just collecting pinball machines for your house), purchase a surge protector breaker for your main electrical panel. See the picture below:

4.png4.png

Here's another tip (if you are building a new house or do some electrical upgrades), make sure to use 20Amp breakers for your 120VAC circuits instead of 15Amp breakers. This allows you to step up from 14 gauge wire to 12 gauge wire, which can handle a much greater load.

5.png5.png

These are all spare breakers, for the moment anyway

#33 10 years ago

Here's the new AC

Inside:
6.png6.png

Outside:
7.png7.png

Too cool, even has a remote control.
8.png8.png

2 Ton 18 Seer Train Unit. Man, it's crazy how quiet this thing runs. No more sweating to death in the garage

#34 10 years ago

I was liking this thread before the last posts and now I'm liking even more.
Closing on a new house in the next month hopefully, and 200amp service is the first thing going in...then mini split AC after that; No ductwork.

Hows that thing working for you?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I was liking this thread before the last posts and now I'm liking even more.
Closing on a new house in the next month hopefully, and 200amp service is the first thing going in...then mini split AC after that; No ductwork.
Hows that thing working for you?

Just put it in today. Give me a few days and I'll share my thoughts.

Here's another thing you should consider, new T5 power compact light fixtures for the garage. These babies are sweet.

9.png9.png

Let there be light.... Seriously, I can work at two in the morning with these things. Good lighting is paramount for soldering etc. Oh, and if your wife is like mine the motion sensors will come in handy I swear, she likes to turn on every freaking light in the house....

10.png10.png

#36 10 years ago

I'm going all sconces in my pad. Trying to add a little class to my life and see if it sticks

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm going all sconces in my pad. Trying to add a little class to my life and see if it sticks

That's cool, nothing like a little style

I had over 450 of these fixtures installed where I work last year. We demoed out hundreds of 400 watt metal halide fixtures; cut our utility bill by roughly $8k a month. Anyway, I knew I'd have to get some after seeing them in action. They aren't cheap ($300 per fixture), but man they are bright. The picture doesn't do them justice.

#38 10 years ago

Is there anything this guy can't do!? First he makes the awesome CFTBL LCD mod, now he's showing me how to spruce up my machines. Thanks for the restore tips. I'm definitely following this thread. And thanks again for the LCD mod. It's the best thing in my collection right now.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Is there anything this guy can't do!? First he makes the awesome CFTBL LCD mod, now he's showing me how to spruce up my machines. Thanks for the restore tips. I'm definitely following this thread. And thanks again for the LCD mod. It's the best thing in my collection right now.

I'm a regular guy, just happen to have a small pinball addiction. OK, small is relative

Glad to hear you are enjoying the MOD.

#40 10 years ago

Back on Topic:

Lets wrap up re-graining. Just like a Dremel, die grinders are made to handle all sorts of attachments.

1.png1.png

Obviously some of these attachments are more aggressive than others. Typically I use the buffing wheel (the guy on the right), but for grinding out "tracks" the other attachments are pretty handy.

As a side note, you really should wear a good quality respirator whenever you are doing any grinding and buffing work. Crap goes everywhere, especially up your nose. I wear a full face shield style respirator, these work much better IMO and they also provide eye protection.

3.png3.png

#41 10 years ago

It's time to remove the ramp flaps. If you haven't purchased a good set of drill bits you probably should.

2.png2.png

Use a 1/8" drill bit on the rivets, always drilling from the rear (keep your naste comments to yourselves please).

FYI - For plastic ramps I actually use a Dremel instead of a drill (more on that later). Nothing like spinning a rivet right through the plastic with a smoking hot drill bit.

4.png4.png

#42 10 years ago

Ok, so how do I clean the ramp flaps?

8.png8.png

I don't I suppose you could re-grain or tumble them if you really wanted to, but new ones are pretty cheap and will certainly look better. Personally I don't care for the blue spring steel ramp flaps, so I purchase the stainless steel repros from PinBits.

9.png9.png

#43 10 years ago

Alright enough on re-graining guide rails. Here's a look at the finished product (this is probably 3 to 4 hours of work - keep in mind this is three machines worth of parts):

6.png6.png
7.png7.png

Again, I'll buff all of these parts later in the process. Well, that's all for now.

#44 10 years ago

More playfields have arrived.

Just got these babies back, all touched up and cleared.

1.png1.png

Even my dog is excited to see them

2.png2.png
4.png4.png
3.png3.png

I know, too many projects right? Well, I never said I was going to do this stuff in any logical order

#45 10 years ago

More thanks for a great thread. Keep it up, PMD!

#46 10 years ago

another great thread. thanks mike
looking forward to any and all information that guys like brian and you can provide to the rest of us

#48 10 years ago

Awesome thread Mike!

#49 10 years ago

Thanks guys.

As long as somebody is reading this stuff I’ll keep posting more info

#50 10 years ago

Really would like to see removing rivots from plastic ramps. My practice runs were not encouraging.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-restoration-rampage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.