• 573 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4155 (resized).jpeg
640x445_2475_Centaur_2d_fantasy_centaur_warrior_picture_image_digital_art_(resized).jpg
134766-artwork-centaur-creatures-fantasy_(resized).jpg
Playfield_8_(resized).jpg
Playfield_7_(resized).jpg
Playfield_6_(resized).jpg
Playfield_5_(resized).jpg
Playfield_3_(resized).jpg
Playfield_2_(resized).jpg
Playfield_1_(resized).jpg
Shooter_Lane_(resized).jpg
Apron_2_(resized).jpg
Apron_1_(resized).jpg
Pinball_View_(resized).jpg
Apron_3_(resized).jpg
7_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#556 7 years ago

What was the cost associated with powder coating so many parts?
The parts look awesome but knowing how much they charge for powder coating car parts (i.e. exhaust), the cost must be staggering.

Thanks
Yves

#558 7 years ago

That is a really good price. Yes, you must be a good customer and friend.
The local "Powder Coater" here in Raleigh, was charging me $400 to powder coat two mufflers for a Porsche Carrera.....

I cannot use quotes yet (I am probably too new on this forum) but on page 8, where you have pictures of the flipper mechanisms, I noticed that you kept the plastic insert to actuate the flippers. There are discs made of stone (or stone powder) that I have used on my Xenon for years and they provide a much stronger hit to the ball, while increasing the precision of the flipper control. I cannot recall who used to sell them but it was a gentleman that was also selling the acrylic tube for the Xenon with a blue LED PCB.

Since you are going "full speed/no man left behind" on this restoration, I thought I would mention that to you. This is by the way the most amazing restoration that I have ever seen. Kudos.

Yves

#559 7 years ago

oh and looking at your electrical wiring, congratulations on putting insulation on all coils. There is nothing more unpleasant than to get a 48 volts DC discharge in your fingers, wrists or arms.

On my Xenon, during its restoration, I used the kind of fabric tape used for automotive harness insulation around the major harnesses between playfield, backbox, and power supply in the cabinet. It finishes very well the messy original Bally wiring and provides for a well protected and ordered harness, inside the pinball. Again, once you open the hood, it is something that you notice immediately and makes your machine look more industrial and reliable.

Yves

#560 7 years ago

A few more comments Mike, as I was reading through the end of your fantastic restoration:

1) I know that your cabinet is clear coated...... but it hurts me to think that these chromed legs may damage the fabulous artwork underneath. Have you considered leg protectors in clear color? I know they don't look too good, but when the plays get on the frenzy side, you are happy you have these protections.

2) Your ball shooter is smooth, allowing the player to whack the ball on the playfield. I though all Bally of that era had spiky ball shooter. Was that an intentional choice? I understand that this is your machine, that it is heavily customized and that the Genuine part is the least of your worries.

Fantastic. It motivates me to redo my Xenon and Medusa along the lines of what you just completed, although there will never be at that level....perhaps 10% of what you did.

Thank you so much for detailing all your hard work with very interesting comments and great pictures.

Yves

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I used the metal “Stern style” leg protectors from PinballLife in conjunction with felt pads, so the legs sit off the cabinet roughly an eighth of an inch. Pinball isn’t fun if you can’t shake the machines - especially on Fathom

I stand corrected and relieved. I could not see the protector on your pictures.

FYI – I’m working on a Medusa now. You can follow that thread at “PMD – Restorations 2016”

I am going to follow this very carefully.

Yves

#564 7 years ago

FYI – I’m working on a Medusa now. You can follow that thread at “PMD – Restorations 2016”

Mike, do you have a link to this restoration? I looked on your Facebook and Web site, and could not find anything.
Thanks
Yves

Added over 8 years ago: Nevermind. I found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-fathom-restoration-let-the-spending-begin?tu=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.