• 573 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4155 (resized).jpeg
640x445_2475_Centaur_2d_fantasy_centaur_warrior_picture_image_digital_art_(resized).jpg
134766-artwork-centaur-creatures-fantasy_(resized).jpg
Playfield_8_(resized).jpg
Playfield_7_(resized).jpg
Playfield_6_(resized).jpg
Playfield_5_(resized).jpg
Playfield_3_(resized).jpg
Playfield_2_(resized).jpg
Playfield_1_(resized).jpg
Shooter_Lane_(resized).jpg
Apron_2_(resized).jpg
Apron_1_(resized).jpg
Pinball_View_(resized).jpg
Apron_3_(resized).jpg
7_(resized).jpg
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Finally, in various posts you mentioned that you might end up selling it one day. I got to thinking about it, and thought - how can you even put a price on this thing?

that's an easy one. mike told me that he's only got about $150 into it over the cost of the machine. just be sure to offer him about $2K for and you should be a shoe-in for the sale

seriously though, this is just another "labor of love" project done for the sake of personal pride. nowhere is there a thought of putting a price tag on it because you don't ever intend to sell it

#552 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

it would have helped if you would have colored things IN ORDER!!!!!

Where's the challenge in that

#553 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

seriously though, this is just another "labor of love" project done for the sake of personal pride. nowhere is there a thought of putting a price tag on it because you don't ever intend to sell it

Sure, but the reality is it's both art and a game. When the game isn't being played, even the most cherished "pins as artwork" get sold. I own several...one done by Mike. I have an extreme Centaur restoration that was done by a hobbyist for himself. At some point, he decided to sell because the machine wasn't being played.

"The Journey is the Reward" for most folks doing this level of restoration. Most of us have space limitations and when we reach our limit, pins get sold. A static pinball lineup that never changes isn't much fun. I just picked up a new pin and it's energized me to tweak other pins in the lineup...

In any event, Mike's approach to pinball restoration is very cool. I've been a fanboy ever since his first TOTAN restoration...one that I'm proud to own!

#554 8 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have been following this thread all along, but I just gave a quick scan through the whole thing again and I wanted to make a few more comments.
First, thank you for taking the time to post all of the pictures and descriptions. This provides a really nice and detailed how-to guide for anyone who would want to tackle a similar project. Especially someone with less experience.
Second, every aspect of this is awesome, no doubt. But I went back to the part where the cabinet got the artwork. Just so that I understand this correctly: Am I right in assuming that this cabinet was completely painted by hand (with airbrush)? As opposed to using any decals? And that this was done by the person named "Mack"? Who is Mack anyway??? It looks really amazing (duh). It is just incredibly cool how the cabinet artwork was completely changed from the original, yet fits so perfectly with the machine and looks awesome.
Finally, in various posts you mentioned that you might end up selling it one day. I got to thinking about it, and thought - how can you even put a price on this thing? Let's face it, there is not one like it anywhere in the world. It is a beautiful piece of art. Of course, it is a pinball machine, so more than likely the potential buyers are people who like pinball. In the end, you could ask any price you want, but of course what it can actually be sold for will depend on what one buyer is willing to pay. However it goes, I'm like many others - this would be an awesome machine to own! Thanks again for all of the pictures and descriptions.

Mack is a local friend of mine here in Jacksonville. He's a professional artist that can paint anything with realistic detail; he’s down to earth and just an all-around good guy with amazing skills. For my fathom, he used a blend of airbrush and hand painting techniques to create the underwater scenes featured on the cabinet and back box. There are no decals on this cabinet. Everything was free handed and based on some conceptual sketches I provided. In addition, I gave Mack my old playfield and back glass for reference, so he could match colors and emulate the style of the original artwork. All I can say is that he blew me away and that isn’t an easy thing to do. It certainly will be hard to decal another cabinet after doing this.

FYI - I don’t ever plan on selling this machine, but I’ve said the same of other restorations in the past and they are long gone. With that said, I’ve never put this much effort into a pinball restoration, so I doubt this one will be leaving my collection soon.

#555 8 years ago

For those interested, I uploaded a ton of pictures to the website:

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=417

3 months later
#556 7 years ago

What was the cost associated with powder coating so many parts?
The parts look awesome but knowing how much they charge for powder coating car parts (i.e. exhaust), the cost must be staggering.

Thanks
Yves

#557 7 years ago

It wasn't too bad, but I'm friends with the owner. I think it was only $250 to $300.

#558 7 years ago

That is a really good price. Yes, you must be a good customer and friend.
The local "Powder Coater" here in Raleigh, was charging me $400 to powder coat two mufflers for a Porsche Carrera.....

I cannot use quotes yet (I am probably too new on this forum) but on page 8, where you have pictures of the flipper mechanisms, I noticed that you kept the plastic insert to actuate the flippers. There are discs made of stone (or stone powder) that I have used on my Xenon for years and they provide a much stronger hit to the ball, while increasing the precision of the flipper control. I cannot recall who used to sell them but it was a gentleman that was also selling the acrylic tube for the Xenon with a blue LED PCB.

Since you are going "full speed/no man left behind" on this restoration, I thought I would mention that to you. This is by the way the most amazing restoration that I have ever seen. Kudos.

Yves

#559 7 years ago

oh and looking at your electrical wiring, congratulations on putting insulation on all coils. There is nothing more unpleasant than to get a 48 volts DC discharge in your fingers, wrists or arms.

On my Xenon, during its restoration, I used the kind of fabric tape used for automotive harness insulation around the major harnesses between playfield, backbox, and power supply in the cabinet. It finishes very well the messy original Bally wiring and provides for a well protected and ordered harness, inside the pinball. Again, once you open the hood, it is something that you notice immediately and makes your machine look more industrial and reliable.

Yves

#560 7 years ago

A few more comments Mike, as I was reading through the end of your fantastic restoration:

1) I know that your cabinet is clear coated...... but it hurts me to think that these chromed legs may damage the fabulous artwork underneath. Have you considered leg protectors in clear color? I know they don't look too good, but when the plays get on the frenzy side, you are happy you have these protections.

2) Your ball shooter is smooth, allowing the player to whack the ball on the playfield. I though all Bally of that era had spiky ball shooter. Was that an intentional choice? I understand that this is your machine, that it is heavily customized and that the Genuine part is the least of your worries.

Fantastic. It motivates me to redo my Xenon and Medusa along the lines of what you just completed, although there will never be at that level....perhaps 10% of what you did.

Thank you so much for detailing all your hard work with very interesting comments and great pictures.

Yves

#561 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Yves.

I’ll have to take a look at the flipper mechs you mentioned. I just used the shooter rod that came with the machine

I used the metal “Stern style” leg protectors from PinballLife in conjunction with felt pads, so the legs sit off the cabinet roughly an eighth of an inch. Pinball isn’t fun if you can’t shake the machines - especially on Fathom

FYI – I’m working on a Medusa now. You can follow that thread at “PMD – Restorations 2016”

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

FYI – I’m working on a Medusa now. You can follow that thread at “PMD – Restorations 2016”

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with medusa. are you going to implement that "light up mod" on it?

#563 7 years ago

I used the metal “Stern style” leg protectors from PinballLife in conjunction with felt pads, so the legs sit off the cabinet roughly an eighth of an inch. Pinball isn’t fun if you can’t shake the machines - especially on Fathom

I stand corrected and relieved. I could not see the protector on your pictures.

I am going to follow this very carefully.

Yves

#564 7 years ago

Mike, do you have a link to this restoration? I looked on your Facebook and Web site, and could not find anything.
Thanks
Yves

Added over 8 years ago: Nevermind. I found it.

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with medusa. are you going to implement that "light up mod" on it?

This was supposed to remain a secret until the big announcement

1 week later
#566 7 years ago

Medusa is going to be a huge project with all the crap packed on that Playfield. I just picked one up and will be interested in seeing your progress.

#567 7 years ago

I finally got my last few chromed parts back, so I should have Fathom wrapped up by the end of the weekend. Here's a look at the CPR back glass:

wow thats awesome... maybe I shouldn't bother posting my centaur restoration

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

wow thats awesome... maybe I shouldn't bother posting my centaur restoration

No, you definitely SHOULD post that Centaur restoration. Actually that goes for anybody. Post ALL the restorations!

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

No, you definitely SHOULD post that Centaur restoration. Actually that goes for anybody. Post ALL the restorations!

its posted. i don't want to commandeer Mikes d's beautiful fathom thread. he was nice enough to compliment my work but trust me it's not on this level.

6 years later
#570 1 year ago

Fathom playfields are basically unobtainium, especially the ones from the later runs (true CPR playfields). The first run (Halifax) playfields are more readily available, but they are inferior in terms of quality. So, how do you tell the difference? Here are some things to look for:
Streaky Inserts (Halifax):
[quoted image]
Registration Issues (Halifax):
[quoted image]
Don't get me wrong, the Halifax playfields are better than any 30+ year old beater. They just aren't as nice as the later CPR playfields. Almost all of the black boarders around the inserts are off. Here's some interesting reading regarding the history on the Halifax Fathom run: http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/fathom.html

To be fair, when I did the original "Halifax" Fathom playfield reproduction, I had all the whitewoods cut by hand as exact copies of an existing factory playfield. The idea of improving from the factory product never crossed my mind at the time. The artwork had been remastered on the computer but then Gene stepped in and offered up the original factory films for the screens. The registration and other flaws were partly remnants from the original production run, and partly caused by my lack of experience in making playfields. I might have improved on the product in subsequent attempts, but the whitewood jigs, artwork films, and remaining inserts were all stolen at the end of the production. I was focused on making the next two titles, Centaur and EBD, and didn't realize my friend was a traitorous lying backstabber who would purposefully thwart my efforts by making the same titles. I left pinball for many years and only recently returned to make another playfield. Would the same arse be so callous as to again make the same title as me in an attempt to flood the market and oppress any sort of competition? Naw, nobody is that big an arse, are they?

Fantastic!

1 year later
#571 76 days ago

Pulled the game out of storage and set it up last week. Very happy with the machine, but hate the CPR back glass. I heard another company did a run of these and the colors match the original.

Any input on an upgrade would be appreciated

#572 76 days ago

Pulled the game out of storage and set it up last week. Very happy with the machine, but hate the CPR back glass. I heard another company did a run of these and the colors match the original.
Any input on an upgrade would be appreciated

not sure this helps you but I received my new Fathom Mermaid machine from Haggis Pinball and have to say it is the best looking machine out there.

#573 75 days ago
Quoted from gold1:

not sure this helps you but I received my new Fathom Mermaid machine from Haggis Pinball and have to say it is the best looking machine out there.

Only if they sell back glasses separately
IMG_4155 (resized).jpegIMG_4155 (resized).jpeg

I like the way my machine looks just fine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 195.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-fathom-restoration-let-the-spending-begin/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.