(Topic ID: 83741)

PMD – AC/DC Interactive LCD MOD (Currently Out of Stock)

By PinballMikeD

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8262F687-951A-4C9B-AE3E-5B2A2203849B (resized).jpeg
AD0B8C8C-204B-4E4E-A088-CB408B937B4D (resized).jpeg
93410C46-80BD-48EA-8F70-89DE9C9838F6 (resized).jpeg
67D2E688-1D08-4D91-AE7D-64BFDD6A34BE (resized).jpeg
000D78DA-18DF-4922-89AC-B6221764C701 (resized).jpeg
9E945979-829D-46C8-9841-8FA04572BD40 (resized).jpeg
F89DAE4E-96D2-4A8E-B4EB-AD016D1767F4 (resized).jpeg
pb 5 (resized).jpg
pb 4 (resized).jpg
pb 3 (resized).jpg
pb 2 (resized).jpg
pb 1 (resized).jpg
D7BDAACF-BD44-4F17-BEE8-8ED7F93D8F73 (resized).jpeg
25318132-1B65-4DC2-AA3E-5053C7C7957F (resized).jpeg
ddddd (resized).jpg
IMG_2495 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rensh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 9 years ago

Looks Great and have a modded Acdc dying for something like this

Stumbled over this video on YouTube

You are apparently not the first with this idea

2 weeks later
#111 9 years ago

Looks AWESOME

2 months later
#194 9 years ago

Oh man, very great mod, looks terrific.

Are you gone attend Pinexpo chicago and show this of?

3 weeks later
#274 9 years ago

I know you are not going unfortunately to PinExpo this year but is there any chance somebody will display this beautifull mod there and buy it if he likes it?

9 months later
#379 8 years ago

Do you mean it will be swapping the content between the two displays?

#404 8 years ago

If you already have a Smartdmd using the serial port for sidechannel, can still this mod be installed as it also uses same port?

5 months later
#426 8 years ago

Is it still same price eg usd 475?

And than the 110 VAC issue, as I see it is still 5 VDC USB powered and the only change required would be a 230 VAC USB charger or am I missing something?

1 year later
#490 7 years ago

Mod ordered. Now the difficult parts starts, the waiting ....

3 weeks later
#492 7 years ago

Wait was over today.

Just installed it. Went smoothly, nicely made mod by MikeD

So after 2 years of considering it another mod was added to my precious baby

Whats next ?

#495 7 years ago

It's approx USD 500

Mine shipped internationally excl the 110 volt powersupply

It's a well made mod but if I may there is 1 point where improvement could be made. The mod really deserves in my opinion a 'cover' so you don't see the top of the PCB when looking at it.

I used some black cardboard to make a cover. In fact, that came from the shipping box so it did ship with a cover

IMG_1152 (resized).JPGIMG_1152 (resized).JPG

1 year later
#533 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Reached out to Oga83 to discuss the communication patch, I'm sure we'll get a work around.

Great minds think alike as I did exactly the same thing

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Great news! I updated to the new code but it's a bummer not having the LCD mod work... I still have a copy of my old software to revert back but hopefully the mod will be compatible with 1.70 soon and I won't have to.

When you updated, did you run the macro again over the new 170 firmware? The original firmware will not work for sure. At least the macro should be rerun.

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Pinball browser (ver 6.20) wouldn't recognize the new code so I wasn't able to apply the macro.

Aha. Saves me the trouble of trying, thanks for the intel. Typically speaking Oga has a quick fix. Will wait for it, after 3 yrs another few days will not kill me

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i emailed with OGA
he told me we have just to patch the new firmware with the "serial patch activation"
could not try it i am not at home
he told me thats all what needed to get the video mode working
got no more infos

I am wondering about this. I couldn’t even open the new firmware with rel 620. PB became none-responsive. Rel 443 and 500 gave unknown firmware message. If you even can’t open the firmware you can’t run the com patch. I also have a smartdmd so for me twice as important to run the macro. Oga will fix it as usual, just give him some time. Valentine’s Day after all. But perhaps his AC/DC is his love

#545 6 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

looks not good for us
i hope he could do a update, asked him and got this answer
Olivier

Wow. This would be bad news indeed. Didn’t get any response from Olivier. Did get a response from Mike however that he didn’t have an AC/DC anymore and if I would be willing to test if a fix comes available. Of course I said yes.

Guess we can only sit it out and wait. Having a smartdmd and mikeD mod updating is a no Go for me without PB working.

#551 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

I just wanted to point out that my answer was just "No, I don't have a timeline" and NOT "No, I can't do an update".
I'm currently working on this but I don't have the solution yet.

Thanks for trying. Not to put a burden on your shoulder but wehave all trust in you sooner or later you will succeed.

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

What do you mean ?
I just did a test with Pinball Browser 6.30 + Communication Patch 1.32 and everything went well

This is interesting. Not only kapsreiter reported this issue but also Eharan reported it. So score is 2-1 apparently

Oga, you have mikeD mod to? In case not, could it perhaps be the life comm with the display which is causing it? Are you using the Rs232 interface while booting ?

Kapsreiter, did you try booting without anything connected to the rs232?

Oga, in a earlier post you mentioned you found issues and not easy to fix. Now you report a working AC/DC with 630 release ??

At least it’s looking promising. For any of you who wanna give it a try, advise is to first backup the firmware on your AC/DC so you can easily restore it when it doesn’t boot

My/MikeD smartdmd macro is under reconstruction at the moment by J_M so my testing will have to wait.

#581 6 years ago

Run the same macro with PB630 as I originally had over rel 168. This has SMARTDMD macro + 132 patch.

Text macro at start

-- Pinball-Browser Macro for AC/DC v1.68
CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x168
LoadHex,"comm132.hex"
-- The following 2 lines are for Side-Channel :
-- PaletteMode,1
-- Entry,3,0x4110000,24321
-- The following 2 lines are for In-Frame :
-- PaletteMode,0
-- PaletteId,080a090b
ExtendMemory
-- Uncomment the following line to protect the firmware :
-- Needs to be done before releasing the product !
-- Protect

after that the usual coloring part starts.

Checked the Checksum to make sure I really am using original Firmware. Same as OGA (and Kapsreiter)

Can confirm it boots now on 168 with PB630, smartdmd is OK and also MikeD display is working. So, similar experience as OGA

#582 6 years ago

Addtional info : I am using W10 64 bit

I understand Kapsreiter is using a MAc and W10 in parallels. Perhaps this gives a clue where to find the cause of the problem?

I have sent Kapsreiter a rel 168 compiled with macro just containing the commhex132. If his pin boots now than ??

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The issue is related to the side-channel palettes (which anyway should not be used with Mike's mod).
If you select "side-channel (serial)" in the "Store Color" drop down list (Smartmd tab in Pinball Browser), the game will not boot (I have tested this on my game).
I don't know why and I'll investigate so that we don't have the issue on AC/DC 1.70.
Thanks for your tests !

Ok. I am using indeed Inframe coloring and not sidechannel.

Are you telling here that if we don’t use side channel (which is not required for MikeD mod) we already can use 170 with mikeD mod?

#605 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Almost done
I've got a working communication patch for AC/DC v1.70 but there are still some minor issues with this mod that I need to fix.
The AC/DC v1.68 boot issue with the last communication patch is also fixed (it would have also impacted v1.70).
It was a side effect of the ARM compiler upgrade I did last summer... I'm surprised it did not show up before.

Sounds great . Thanks to the help of J_M the macro is now ready for my smartdmd, just waiting for updated comm patch and we can take off

#608 6 years ago

Make sure you backup first as I am sorry to report my ACDC is not booting

My macro contains more than just the commpatch, its also SMARTDMD. Will sent OGA my files for inspection. Can be that I am doing something wrong after all

Edit1: wait, it appears that my SDcard Smartdmd is corrupted and it thus causing nothing to show on display. Also ofcourse you cant start a game as it is on credit mode so thats why it didnt respond to Startbutton duh stupid me Let me investigate and get back soon

Edit2: can conform pin does boot. What a timing to have a failed SD card on my Smart dmd .... .

However, MikeD display doesnt function still with me . Switched ACDC off/on 4 times but no luck. Again, my macro contains a lot more than just the commpatch so love to get feedback from other poeple if they succeed in it yes/no

My macro starts with

-- Pinball-Browser Macro for AC/DC v1.70
CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x170
--LoadHex,"comm140.hex"
-- The following lines is for for Side-Channel:
-- PaletteMode,1

-- The following 2 lines are for In-Frame:
-- PaletteMode,0
-- PaletteId,080a090

#616 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I can confirm that my PMD LCD mod is now working on 1.70 using Pinball Browser v6.40 with the v1.40 com patch! Thanks Oliver!

Great. I will download a new file from stern and retry tonight. I also didn’t have to enter a serial number which is strange. Thought it was due to 640 but I see you mentioning serialno is still needed. So perhaps I patched a wrong version?? To be cntd.

#622 6 years ago

Happy to confirm that after changing the macro eveything works fine now !!

OGA, merci beaucoup

3 months later
#636 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Anyone else have the mod going into the "welcome to hell" video mode on the mod when they fire the cannon. Any fix for this?

Don’t have this so don’t think it’s a software glitch.

1 year later
#676 3 years ago

Have one for three yrs now I think and it has worked flawlessly except one time when it crashed. Than the solution was a new image on the SD card which came from the USB stick.

1 year later
#683 1 year ago

If I recall it correctly the raspberry runs from firmware on a SD card and the videofiles shown are stored in an USB key

Same USB key also has a SD image backup. This you can use to flash a new SD card.

Or copy the files to a new USB key if you think the USB is the cause.

#687 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There's a USB flash drive that is attached to the MikeD LCD. If whoever installed it followed the instructions, the USB cable and flash drive should be just tie wrapped to the inside of the coin door. With the power off, remove the flash drive, install it in a PC/Laptop, copy the entire flash drive contents to the PC (just in case). Then browse through the flash drive directories to find the log files, and delete all of the log files (but leave the log file directory there, just empty) . Reinstall the flash drive into the pinball machine, reboot the pinball machine and it should work fine for another 50-100 games (maybe more)

Strange. Have this mod already for years and years and never had to do this. Had a corrupt SD image once and very very sometimes it doesn’t boot. Just of on and works again. But that’s really rare.

Or am I learning now I play AC/DC not enough ….

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rensh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-acdc-interactive-lcd-mod-coming-soon?tu=Rensh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.