(Topic ID: 83741)

PMD – AC/DC Interactive LCD MOD (Currently Out of Stock)

By PinballMikeD

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 704 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8262F687-951A-4C9B-AE3E-5B2A2203849B (resized).jpeg
AD0B8C8C-204B-4E4E-A088-CB408B937B4D (resized).jpeg
93410C46-80BD-48EA-8F70-89DE9C9838F6 (resized).jpeg
67D2E688-1D08-4D91-AE7D-64BFDD6A34BE (resized).jpeg
000D78DA-18DF-4922-89AC-B6221764C701 (resized).jpeg
9E945979-829D-46C8-9841-8FA04572BD40 (resized).jpeg
F89DAE4E-96D2-4A8E-B4EB-AD016D1767F4 (resized).jpeg
pb 5 (resized).jpg
pb 4 (resized).jpg
pb 3 (resized).jpg
pb 2 (resized).jpg
pb 1 (resized).jpg
D7BDAACF-BD44-4F17-BEE8-8ED7F93D8F73 (resized).jpeg
25318132-1B65-4DC2-AA3E-5053C7C7957F (resized).jpeg
ddddd (resized).jpg
IMG_2495 (resized).JPG
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.
#101 9 years ago

Man, that looks sweet!

If you use the band's image...do you have to get their permission and licenses for all AC/DC logos, etc??

Just curious, I know how anal these artists are about their images

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Wow coming up real nice. How much are we talking for a finale version ?
Just an approximation to see if my blood is blue enough for this mod

Honestly don't know yet, still defining the BOM.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Man, that looks sweet!
If you use the band's image...do you have to get their permission and licenses for all AC/DC logos, etc??
Just curious, I know how anal these artists are about their images

The MOD is essentially a media player, so it will display whatever videos you want it to (just put your desired videos in the right folders on the USB and you're done). The sky is the limit.

#104 9 years ago

This really is a great piece of modding. Do you not have any concerns at all regarding licensing?

#105 9 years ago

Although I guess you are not really selling the content.. Just the player technically

#106 9 years ago

put me down , I want to take your mod and split it to a large lcd screen and put it in the backbox, similar to my woz. This could be the beginning of something great. I assume this is do-able. I can design a smaller translate to fit the missing area above the large lcd screen , it should be very cool

#107 9 years ago

This will make my ACDC with the Helen translite art at Young Loud and Snotty record shop pop!

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

I want to take your mod and split it to a large lcd screen and put it in the backbox, similar to my woz.

Man I had to fight back nausea for a moment there. Why on earth would you want to do that? To each his own I guess.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

put me down , I want to take your mod and split it to a large lcd screen and put it in the backbox, similar to my woz. This could be the beginning of something great. I assume this is do-able. I can design a smaller translate to fit the missing area above the large lcd screen , it should be very cool

Unless the resolution output of the player is high , it won't look good on a large screen.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Unless the resolution output of the player is high , it won't look good on a large screen.

Bingo. The video software we provide will be designed for our LCD's resolution.

#111 9 years ago

Looks AWESOME

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

It's a great idea. Always thought of adding an lcd screen next to it but the translite is the perfect spot.

Maybe resolution can be an issue on a larger screen but what about a few smaller screens like 4 in the 4 corners of the translite and after that you have a cross design to fill in between the lcl. But get the next part you split the feed to the 4 lcd and set the diffusion at random. You will never know before on which screen feed will appear. Or simply have the 4 lcd displying at the same time.

Need to figure it a bit more but the translite replacement is a great idea wolowizard.

#113 9 years ago

damn,

i know i said earlier i got an lcd some times ago for something like this, but in no way i will be close to this.
i guess i'm gonna trow mine away and definitely get yours.

really nice guys, keep up the good work.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Although I guess you are not really selling the content.. Just the player technically

If you get a cease and desist letter I'd think all you'd have to do it sell the player without the content on it. Just provide instructions where to download the "suggested video content". I know it wouldn't be the turnkey solution your looking for but should work if you should run into problems. Can't wait to see the final product!!

#115 9 years ago

It was year(ish) ago, when there was some discussion on the "Ultimate Mod for TAF":

It's good that people start getting LCD-screens to put on a game and on AC/DC the videos will work very nicely instead of the dancing band. Similar ideas should be put forward and developed - it would be really nice to have the option to replace the whole translite with interactive videos as well (without buying the WOZ that is)!

#116 9 years ago

I'm actually working on videos right now

videos.pngvideos.png
#117 9 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished product.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

I'm actually working on videos right now

I sort of feel like an a$$ for asking this, but do you plan to make headers/videos for the substitute songs (Shoot to Thrill, etc)that so many of us are using?

Thanks

#119 9 years ago

We are working on incorporating a squealer text tool into the video software. This would allow you to add your own text on top of any videos. Not 100% sure we can do it just yet, but we're working on it. Here's an example:

text example.pngtext example.png
#120 9 years ago

I think that chic in the 3rd row is showing her tits.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Looks like implants from here

#122 9 years ago

Holy cow, this looks super cool!

Excellent work.

#123 9 years ago

Man I hope I can afford this!

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

It's a great idea. Always thought of adding an lcd screen next to it but the translite is the perfect spot.
Maybe resolution can be an issue on a larger screen but what about a few smaller screens like 4 in the 4 corners of the translite and after that you have a cross design to fill in between the lcl. But get the next part you split the feed to the 4 lcd and set the diffusion at random. You will never know before on which screen feed will appear. Or simply have the 4 lcd displying at the same time.
Need to figure it a bit more but the translite replacement is a great idea wolowizard.

If i could mount the screen anywhere, I'd want it to be the apron, personally. There's a clunky charm to the plastic band that I'd miss.

#125 9 years ago

I'd have it somewhere else to I love the stick band

#126 9 years ago

Maybe an option to keep the band and replace the fake fire looking plastic over by the band? Depending on how this is activated it wouldn't be hard for the end user (if the company doesn't want to make multiple models) to make their own mount for the LCD and place it anywhere they want.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Man I hope I can afford this!

If you afforded the game, I'll bet you can afford this. it comes down to your priorities in life.

#128 9 years ago

Instead of replacing the band how about replacing the plastic jukebox at back. So it could show a static image that looks like original jukebox to start and then after selecting a song it would change to footage. That would be neat. Not sure how easy it would be to do though.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Instead of replacing the band how about replacing the plastic jukebox at back. So it could show a static image that looks like original jukebox to start and then after selecting a song it would change to footage. That would be neat. Not sure how easy it would be to do though.

This idea I like

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Quoted from Gorgar1:

This idea I like

+1

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Mike tried this already and the size of the screen was going to cost substantially more, I agree, jukebox placement would have been great but this mod is gonna be one of the best ever!

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mike tried this already and the size of the screen was going to cost substantially more, I agree, jukebox placement would have been great but this mod is gonna be one of the best ever!

I suppose the band could be made into a topper with an extender cable.

#133 9 years ago

We looked at a lot of different options and decided that replacing the "dancing band" was the best alternative.

The jukebox provides important info during game play (what shots you've made, what shots you need to make to start a new song, what songs you've already completed, etc.). This would have been very difficult to simulate on the LCD and simultaneously have concert videos playing. I also felt that the 5" screen wasn't substantial enough when placed inside the jukebox, so I looked into custom sized screens - very pricy.

The highway to hell "fire plastic" wasn't a feasible option either because of the angle the LCD screen would need to be mounted. I guess it would be cool for a guy standing on the left side of the cabinet Seriously though, there isn't much clearance between the right ramp and the glass there.

I like your topper idea John

#134 9 years ago

Could the SCREEN be a topper?

What about an apron mount?

#135 9 years ago

Apron... could be rule cards when in attract or status mode and do other stuff in other modes. How exactly is your system figuring out what mode your in on WPC games? If you don't mind me asking.

#136 9 years ago

Looking forward to it - keep us posted.

IF you are looking for more future ideas - would love a little TV on TSPP playing episodes - or at least the capability for user to add their own so copyrights are infringed upon>

#137 9 years ago

Apron screen is in the works Just not for this machine.

#138 9 years ago

I'm in

#139 9 years ago

Metal aprons and placing the screen in the middle would revolutionize the game! You would make a killing!

#140 9 years ago

I might have missed this when searching for the road pro (I found this question asked multiple times, did not see an answer) but will this work the same with the pro? (e.g. is it being designed with the pro in mind?)

#141 9 years ago

The MOD is being designed for both the Pro and LE models. However, the programing will be different for the Pro, so the initial release will be for the premium and LE models only. Also, the LCD hardware is mounted to the back panel (the board the jukebox is on) using two tee nuts. These are only present on the premium and LE models. Therefore the Pro models will require a permanent modification (adding the missing tee nuts) to accommodate the MOD. The MOD is 100% reversible for the premium and LE machines.

#142 9 years ago

I like this mod, but I like the monty python looking band guys too. If I could figure out another way to mount this in some other place, that would be great. What would really blow my balls off, is doing the video screen under the mini playfield. Similar to P3. Holy shit would that rock. Especially if it was touchscreen response like P3, where the ball would roll and it would leave a trail of fire behind the ball. I think I just got hard thinking about it.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I like this mod, but I like the monty python looking band guys too. If I could figure out another way to mount this in some other place, that would be great. What would really blow my balls off, is doing the video screen under the mini playfield. Similar to P3. Holy shit would that rock. Especially if it was touchscreen response like P3, where the ball would roll and it would leave a trail of fire behind the ball. I think I just got hard thinking about it.

I had a conversation with a friend (he does incredible virtual pin stuff) about something similar last year. It just didn't seem feasible from a monetary standpoint though.

#144 9 years ago

yea, I think with the standups and the flipper mounts, it would be damn near impossible. Would have to use similar setups to P3, and there just isn't enough room down there to pull that off. Nice to think about tho.

#145 9 years ago

Love this mod! Put me down for one!-Joe

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Nope, still has a top on

1.png1.png
#147 9 years ago

I received my prototype plastic parts yesterday:

Circuit board mounting panel:

2-599.png2-599.png

Panel and circuit boards installed:

3.png3.png

#148 9 years ago

Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

#149 9 years ago

Damn, that looks good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 704 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%e2%80%93-acdc-interactive-lcd-mod-coming-soon/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.