New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 83741)

PMD – AC/DC Interactive LCD MOD (Currently Out of Stock)

By PinballMikeD

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 677 posts
  • 180 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 118 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pb 5 (resized).jpg
pb 4 (resized).jpg
pb 3 (resized).jpg
pb 2 (resized).jpg
pb 1 (resized).jpg
D7BDAACF-BD44-4F17-BEE8-8ED7F93D8F73 (resized).jpeg
25318132-1B65-4DC2-AA3E-5053C7C7957F (resized).jpeg
ddddd (resized).jpg
IMG_2495 (resized).JPG
IMG_1152 (resized).JPG
Gears3_(resized).png
Gears2_(resized).png
Gears1_(resized).png
Banner3_(resized).png
Banner2_(resized).png
Banner1_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Looks Great and have a modded Acdc dying for something like this
Stumbled over this video on YouTube » YouTube video
You are apparently not the first with this idea

Nothing comparable with this mod : the video does not change with the game

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

that is a great video for Runaway Train

I agree !

2 weeks later
#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

How come some of us are up at this hour?

Different timezone ?

3 months later
#291 6 years ago

Good news we now can support v1.68 for AC/DC

For the ACDC MOD to work you'll need to install the Pinball Browser communication patch on your pinball.
Here are step-by-step instructions to help you do it:

1. Download the latest version of Pinball Browser from here (if the link points to the wrong version, clear your browser cache and retry)
Version 4.01 or higher is required.

2. Download your AC/DC v1.65 or v1.68 firmware from Stern's website. Here is the link: Stern web site

3. Run Pinball Browser and open your stock firmware (see screen shot below):
comm1.png

4. Click on "Load Patch" in the "Advanced tab" and select the comm110.hex file (see screen shot below).
comm2.png

5. You should have the following confirmation message :
comm3.png

6. Save your patched firmware on an USB stick and upgrade your pinball machine (see screen shot below).
comm4.png

7. Optionally, if you have a USB/Serial cable, you can test that your patch is correctly installed. More information can be found here.

#293 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Does this mean you need a PC to for the ACDC mod to work at all?

You just need the PC to upgrade your pinball firmware.
Once the pinball is upgraded, the PC is not needed anymore.

3 years later
#548 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

looks not good for us
i hope he could do a update, asked him and got this answer
Olivier

My answer has been taken out of context.
The question was :

any timeline for a update of pinballbrowser, to open ACDC code ?

#550 2 years ago

I just wanted to point out that my answer was just "No, I don't have a timeline" and NOT "No, I can't do an update".
I'm currently working on this but I don't have the solution yet.

#552 2 years ago

Pinball Browser v6.30 can now open AC/DC 1.70

#555 2 years ago

I have the MikeD mod and want to apply the communication patch to the Rom so that it will work with the Mike D mod. Are there instructions for applying the communication patch?

Use Pinball Browser v6.30 to :
- Open the original Stern firmware file (ACD170LE.BIN)
- Go to the Sam tab; Load the communication patch v1.32 and enter your game serial number
- Save the modified firmware and copy it to a USB stick
- Upgrade your game

#567 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

i tried today with the latest pinball browser to downgrade to 1.68 but the patch will also kill the 1.68 fw

What do you mean ?
I just did a test with Pinball Browser 6.30 + Communication Patch 1.32 and everything went well

#575 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Not only kapsreiter reported this issue but also Eharan reported it

I don't think so. He said "Patched the new code and game won’t boot at all". I assume that the "new code" is ACD170LE.BIN, not ACD168LE.BIN.

Quoted from Rensh:

Oga, in a earlier post you mentioned you found issues and not easy to fix. Now you report a working AC/DC with 630 release

Yes, I have found an issue with ACD170LE.BIN and the communication patch (any version) is not compatible with it.
I said that ACD168LE.BIN, modified with Pinball Browser 6.30 and communication patch 1.32 boots correctly.
I did the test again and I confirm.

#578 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

sorry i can NOT confirm this, tried it 3 times
it is not possible to patch 1.68 with pinball browser 6.3 + patch 1.32 machine will not boot
i got it only back working with pinball browser 4.43

Make sure that your have an original ACD168LE.BIN file, not already modified with PB and not corrupted
Its MD5 sum should be c60b070b81659eecef744218f465fe43

I can't work on a fix for ACD170LE.BIN until some others give their feedback on this (game boots correctly with ACD168LE.BIN and Comm132.hex) because it's no use fixing the communication patch for ACD170LE.BIN if it does not even work on some games with ACD168LE.BIN.

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Can confirm it boots now on 168 with PB630, smartdmd is OK and also MikeD display is working. So, similar experience as OGA

Quoted from kapsreiter:

sorry i can NOT confirm this, tried it 3 times

The issue is related to the side-channel palettes (which anyway should not be used with Mike's mod).
If you select "side-channel (serial)" in the "Store Color" drop down list (Smartmd tab in Pinball Browser), the game will not boot (I have tested this on my game).
I don't know why and I'll investigate so that we don't have the issue on AC/DC 1.70.
Thanks for your tests !

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Ok. I am using indeed Inframe coloring and not sidechannel.
Are you telling here that if we don’t use side channel (which is not required for MikeD mod) we already can use 170 with mikeD mod?

No, the communication patch (any version) does not work with AC/DC 1.70

#598 2 years ago

The communication patch will work on AC/DC v1.70 but the issue is not easy to fix and it takes time.

#601 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Give Oliver some time guys. Its only been a week/half since the code came out. He's stated this is not an easy fix but not leaving anyone hanging.

Almost done

I've got a working communication patch for AC/DC v1.70 but there are still some minor issues with this mod that I need to fix.

The AC/DC v1.68 boot issue with the last communication patch is also fixed (it would have also impacted v1.70).
It was a side effect of the ARM compiler upgrade I did last summer... I'm surprised it did not show up before.

#604 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

We appreciate all the hard work you've put into this mod and for working on getting the com patch upgraded! Great to know that you are almost done as well. Thank you!
Is the v1.68 boot issue what would cause the mod to periodically not boot up correctly when you turn on the game? On my game it was maybe 10% of the time and a second power cycle would usually resolve it.

No, the boot isue was the one reported by Kapsreiter : the game will never boot if you install the last communication patch (v1.32) with side-channel palettes enabled in Pinball Browser.

#606 2 years ago

Pinball Browser v6.40 with communication patch v1.40 now works with AC/DC v1.70

#617 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I also didn’t have to enter a serial number which is strange

The serial number is needed. If you didn't have to enter it, then the communication patch has not been installed.
Check that the line LoadHex,"comm140.hex" is not commented out in your macros.

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

My macro starts with
-- Pinball-Browser Macro for AC/DC v1.70
CheckVersion,"AC/DC",0x170
--LoadHex,"comm140.hex"
-- The following lines is for for Side-Channel:
-- PaletteMode,1
-- The following 2 lines are for In-Frame:
-- PaletteMode,0
-- PaletteId,080a090

The line LoadHex,"comm140.hex" is commented out : the communication patch won't be installed.
The line PaletteMode is also commented out : the palette informations will be stored as defined in the 'Store colors' dropdown list (SmartDmd tab in Pinball Browser. The default value is "In-frame" palettes).
If you want to use side-channel palettes, a line PaletteComm,2 is probably missing.

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from Mav78:

I want to thank you very much for all the work done until now

Merci !

4 months later
#645 2 years ago

I might have found something different between firmwares 1.68 and 1.70 that could explain this behaviour.
I have modified the communication patch so that it emulates 1.68 on a 1.70 firmware. This way, the mod should work as before.
Please try comm142.hex with Pinball Browser 6.40 and let me know how it works.

[EDIT]Just ignore the "Cannot remap vector 0xFFFFFF05" message when you apply this patch. This is happening because comm142.hex is normally meant to be used with the next version of Pinball Browser. It has no impact on AC/DC.

[EDIT2]Please use Pinball Browser v6.42

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Fredonia, NY
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside