pasted_image (resized).png
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Here is another one of our series of dress-up mods for WOZ. The original mount for the ball leaves a bit of design on the table. We spent a lot of time figuring out the easiest and cleanest update to this area. What you're seeing here is a prototype print that came out really bad, but you get the idea. There is a flying monkey designed in to the column base. I will post an update with a painted version soon. It will be finished in a dark bronze which will match the original in the movie closely.

https://pinballmods.co/woz-crystal-ball-upgrade

PMC Crystal Ball UpgradePMC Crystal Ball Upgrade

With the upgrade comes a brand new crystal ball. The upgrade to this mount necessitated a different ball mount design. The ball is made from K9 crystal which is an Optical Borosilicate Crown Crystal (Optically Clear) with low inclusions and imperfections used in things like lenses, crystals, photo balls, etc. It's free of imperfections and weighs probably 50% more than the original, much more dense. It's a heavy piece of glass. The ball will be installed on our mount already and all you need to do is swap your screen over, removing just a few screws.

I'm working on the polishing process for the cut edge, waiting on some diamond abrasive to be delivered, and then I'll post a picture of the screen in action. I won't make any claims about clarity until then but it will at least look as good as the original, but I suspect somewhat better. What you are seeing now is the cut edge reflecting in the ball, the final version will have a smooth polished edge without any imperfections.

The replacement will include removing a few nuts, unplugging the screen and swapping it over. Probably a 15-20 minute install if you go slow.

I need to print out a high quality version for paint. We're focusing on the witches right now but this will be one of the next ones up for production. If you want to get in on it now, feel free to order to get in line. Probably won't ship until the end of December but could be sooner. Price is most likely going to go up once we start producing them so consider it a discount for early adopters

PS - Working on a little dress up for those ugly screw posts that the ramp mounts to. Might be able to include that with this mod to finish off that area.

#2 4 years ago

If you have to make a new mount for it, then I suggest you change the angle, if possible, so that the display is correctly alined with the average players eyes. The one that came with it is angled to the right and down. It makes it difficult to see the full display in the ball. The angle should be moved towards center and raised a little from the stock setup.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

If you have to make a new mount for it, then I suggest you change the angle, if possible, so that the display is correctly alined with the average players eyes. The one that came with it is angled to the right and down. It makes it difficult to see the full display in the ball. The angle should be moved towards center and raised a little from the stock setup.

You know, someone else just mentioned that to me as well. I figured it had to do with the player height and eyeline more than an incorrect alignment but sounds like it's not just me. Once I get a polished face I'll do some comparisons and see what needs to change. Should be no problem to adjust.

1 week later
#4 4 years ago

Here is the 2nd prototype, finished. Working on the ball polishing (heh) and angle of the screen. Updates to come.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#5 4 years ago

Crystal ball polishing is no problem. Wet sanded on a diamond polishing pad from 400 grit to 3000 grit. Shines like a diamond. Need to get some parts of my game back together and I'll post a pic of it installed with the screen in the game.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Here is the 2nd prototype, finished. Working on the ball polishing (heh) and angle of the screen. Updates to come.[quoted image]

Really beautiful ! Nice job

#7 4 years ago

Man if you can get the angle right on this mod you will sell millions of these. Looking fantastic

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

Man if you can get the angle right on this mod you will sell millions of these. Looking fantastic

Or at least 10s of them.

#9 4 years ago

Update, I was able to find a supplier to produce the balls directly with factory cuts in them. This will make it much easier on us and we'll have a ready supply of 100% perfect balls. They are being produced now, should have them in a few weeks.

The mounting system is being worked out and I'm tested ideas for custom tilt for the ball so you can adjust the viewing angle to your own needs.

#10 4 years ago

Update, I was able to find a supplier to produce the balls directly with factory cuts in them. This will make it much easier on us and we'll have a ready supply of 100% perfect balls. They are being produced now, should have them in a few weeks.
The mounting system is being worked out and I'm tested ideas for custom tilt for the ball so you can adjust the viewing angle to your own needs.

Just out of curiosity.. you werent able to use the existing Crystall Ball that is in the game with just a new mount?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Just out of curiosity.. you werent able to use the existing Crystall Ball that is in the game with just a new mount?

No, for a few reasons. One of the biggest being that it's mounted to a honking piece of plastic that won't allow a clean design of a pedestal in the given space. We originally designed it to use the existing ball but it looked horrible. Once I saw how clear and nice the optical glass was and it's relatively inexpensive I saw it as a no-brainer to just replace it.

#12 4 years ago

No, for a few reasons. One of the biggest being that it's mounted to a honking piece of plastic that won't allow a clean design of a pedestal in the given space. We originally designed it to use the existing ball but it looked horrible. Once I saw how clear and nice the optical glass was and it's relatively inexpensive I saw it as a no-brainer to just replace it.

Gotcha.. was just curious.

3 weeks later
#13 4 years ago

Crystal balls have arrived, they are beautiful.

We went through many iterations but I think we have worked out an adjustment system (so you can set the angle you want for the ball/screen) and the mounting requirements are worked out. Going through a few last tweaks, updates to follow.

1 week later
#14 4 years ago

I think we're close. We came up with a splined cam and pressure fit end. Basically you can adjust the platform with the screen and ball to any number of positions to suit your height. You slide the platform out, rotate and slide it back in. A screw on the end of the male part on the platform spreads the end of the cylinder outward when tightened (like a plastic wall anchor) and uses pressure fit to lock it in place. Have a few little tweaks, need to iterate it a few more times to work all the little things out and then we should have a completed prototype. If everything is good with that we will get them shipped out shortly after. Have a good amount of pre-orders to get through so it might take a few weeks to produce them all.

#15 4 years ago

Excited to see the progress on this one

2 weeks later
#16 4 years ago

We changed the mechanism, same concept but the pivot is in the middle now instead of at the end (like a ball/socket almost). Making a few adjustments and then testing.

#17 4 years ago

Ok, this makes 4....
Corn and fence.
Wizard.
Crystal Ball.
Munchkin huts.
Damn, going to be broke.

#18 4 years ago

Sorry, but there are maybe 4 more.

1 week later
#19 4 years ago

Ok, latest version is printing now. I believe we have a nice joint which is hidden, allows adjustment and can be set with a bolt and screw so it doesn't move. Trying to start shipping this week, might need to order some hardware as I don't think I have bolts that are the exact length and I don't want to cut a bunch.

#20 4 years ago

Excellent most excellent you can. Go ahead and toss in either your demo throne room or munchkin upgrade hahaha

#22 4 years ago

Do you have a price point for this? Just curious..

#24 4 years ago

For the crystal ball? It's $95 right now which includes the new ball
https://pinballmods.co/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/woz-crystal-ball-upgrade

Thanks..

Do you happen to have an updated picture as I see you mentioned that one a rough prototype..

#25 4 years ago

I don't have a finished one yet. Testing different methods of making the monkey. I should be able to post one in the coming days. In essence it looks like the one that is on our site. Has a bit more "decoration" to hide the adjustment mechanism but from the player view it looks about the same.

#26 4 years ago

I don't have a finished one yet. Testing different methods of making the monkey. I should be able to post one in the coming days. In essence it looks like the one that is on our site. Has a bit more "decoration" to hide the adjustment mechanism but from the player view it looks about the same.

Ok will keep waiting! Looks good though.

#27 4 years ago

Here is a little update so you can see the mechanism we are working on. Pretty happy with it overall, the inner wheel/socket has a scalloped/ramped edge that mates together to keep it at whatever position you want and then the bolt locks it down.

#28 4 years ago

Here is a little update so you can see the mechanism we are working on. Pretty happy with it overall, the inner wheel/socket has a scalloped/ramped edge that mates together to keep it at whatever position you want and then the bolt locks it down.

Thanks for the update! So happy you took the time to make it tilt such an improvement but I bet you regret saying that change would be easy.

#29 4 years ago

Well, yeah the concept was easy but I'm so picky that I wanted it to be adjustable in the game, have enough movement to fit all player heights and fit in the space properly. Bu I think it was worth it.

#30 4 years ago

Just about there! Doing some functional testing and making a bit more coverage for the monkey parts that cover the gap. This is my crappy self-cut ball. Didn't want to waste one of the expensive ones but when I have a finished product I'll install the pro ones and take some video of the clarity. Monkeys are getting resin printed now for better clarity and detail.

#31 4 years ago

I'm sure many people wanted to see this view. I just plopped it in place to get a general sense of the look. After the next round of tweaks I'll have a better video of how it looks at various positions. We're rotating it a bit more clockwise as it doesn't quite face the player dead on. We are aligning the neutral height (center position) to about 5'10" tall player. I think it will be enough adjustment to hit someone 6'3" or so and someone 5'5". Too much more and there is a huge gap where the two sections come together.

#32 4 years ago

Beautiful job, Cost ?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Beautiful job, Cost ?

Thanks, $95 right now. I'll have to reevaluate once I add up everything. Probably need to increase it.

https://pinballmods.co/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/woz-crystal-ball-upgrade

1 week later
#34 4 years ago

I think we should be able to start shipping the end of this week or weekend. Waiting for one more change to fix some geometry and we should be set.

#35 4 years ago
#36 4 years ago

Pics of the finished product please!

#38 4 years ago

Still wasn't quite happy with the adjustability of it all so I decided to make a new mounting bracket for the screen. This will let you slide the screen up and down as well, which comes in handy when tilting it. So you can tilt the ball, slide the screen front to back and up and down. The most flexibility you could have.

I am waiting on some M2 screws to get here to attach the screen to the new mount. Everything is ready to go besides this new mount, printing those right now.

#40 4 years ago

Crystal f'ing clear. Just wanted to get a shot with the actual ball in here so you could see. I can't find my original damn ball, lol... I'm looking so I can take a comparison shot. I didn't even align this at all, just popped it in there and turned the game on. Looks amazing.

Most of the glare and such is only in the camera.

#41 4 years ago

Maybe a video will help

#42 4 years ago

Maybe a video will help

Can I change shipping adresses cuz I had it going to work and yeah well

#43 4 years ago

Sure, PM me.

We're dealing with some sickness here, trying to hope it's nothing but our area is not the best right now. Had to spend some time away from mods for the last few days. We're still putting these together to get everyone their pre-orders out asap.

#44 4 years ago

Thanks for the patience guys. Here are a few beauty shots.

Ball1 (resized).jpgBall1 (resized).jpgBall2 (resized).jpgBall2 (resized).jpgScreen (resized).jpgScreen (resized).jpgScreen2 (resized).jpgScreen2 (resized).jpg
#45 4 years ago

Looks like the first batch is sold out. We have them all made so they are all shipping this weekend as long as we have the other items in your order.

I'll put in another order for more balls, no idea what the lead time will be like given the circumstances.

#46 4 years ago

Balls are on order. 40 spots available for the next batch, get 'em while they're available!

#47 4 years ago

Looks like a cheap imitation of a gouveia mod, just sayin'...

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Weird that I posted about ours long before he apparently started making one isn't it? But again, I don't know because he asked me to drain his thread. Saw someone post something on Facebook and I think in the WOZ thread. Either way, don't care.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Gouveias pan handle mod? lol

#50 4 years ago

So I'm a moron and can't find my original CB. I have everything but the actual CB itself. Looking for someone who has or is getting the mod who has a high quality DSLR or similar and can take comparison shots of the old and new. If they are quality images I would be willing to provide a gracious reward in discounts or free mods.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmc-woz-crystal-ball-upgrade-announcement-?hl=dashmonster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.