Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6FCA49C9-3E4A-4862-95BD-1919FCEDC547 (resized).jpeg
    peepeetime (resized).jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    10043CBA-F823-4985-9A9E-BE3515AAA4B1 (resized).jpeg
    64797433-5085-40C4-BB77-700E6B5F9FEC.gif
    F6603605-AD40-42C5-B2BC-CD9ABEF39FE1.gif
    5AD7CA1C-3D28-4282-BCEE-32DF8140124A (resized).jpeg
    PM Dawn (resized).jpg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

So...does "PM SENT" ever actually work?

Like...what are the chances someone logs into pinside, doesn't realize they have mail sitting in their inbox, through either the mail icon bouncing around, or an email notification, goes into their for sale thread, notices someone declaring "PM SENT," and puts two and two together, and heads to their inbox to investigate?

Or is "PM SENT" more of a territorial mark, meant to ward off other would-be PM senders, thus increasing your chances of scoring the big deal and reducing the amount of other potential buyers?

Opinions appreciated. Please DO NOT send PMs.

#2 2 years ago

I sent you a PM about this.

#3 2 years ago

I can help you with this, PM me

#4 2 years ago

I think both, but moreso it's a figurative pissing on the for sale ad marking territory and spot in line.

#5 2 years ago

In before the lock part 2

#6 2 years ago

I assumed it was a mix between giving the OP a heads up and trying to ward off potential competition.

I've seen it happen on various platforms.

With facebook specifically, DMs from random people sometimes get buried in the "message requests" section, and the recipient would see the post notification first before a notification about the DM.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think both, but moreso it's a figurative pissing on the for sale ad marking territory and spot in line.

I do think it's funny you see some FS threads with three guys saying "PM Sent!" and two weeks later the seller is bumping the thread.

Clearly "PM Sent!" doesn't mean "I'll take it!"

#8 2 years ago

Not my kind of music but it reminded me of this.

#9 2 years ago

PM me for details…

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Clearly "PM Sent!" doesn't mean "I'll take it!"

"PM'd you a lowball."

#11 2 years ago

To far, Glws Levi!
    Besides, waiting for the price bubble to burst.

#12 2 years ago

It's the worst when the PMs randomly mention Christina Applegate for no reason.

PM Dawn (resized).jpgPM Dawn (resized).jpg
    #13 2 years ago

email sent.

#15 2 years ago

The post also ‘subscribes’ you to a thread that you have posted in. I use that filter button all the time.

I’ll PM you instructions on how to use it.

#16 2 years ago

Its the same guy who rings the doorbell first and then knocks on the door like he doesn't know if you heard the doorbell ring. These are the "Just in case" guys.

#17 2 years ago

Smoke signal sent

#18 2 years ago

They probably sent a PM to ask you what your lowest price would be without ever making you an offer.

#19 2 years ago

Pm sent.

#20 2 years ago

PM Sent, Lionman.

#21 2 years ago

I'll post this on FB with "I'll take it" but only if I'll actually buy the game at the advertised price without many concerns. I do that only because some folks privacy settings won't make it immediately clear that they have a message from a non-friend.

On here I agree it's mostly just folks trying to mark their territory, often too late even. Does it matter if you wrote pm sent an hour after the ad went up and 3 other people already messaged? Haha.

#22 2 years ago

PM sent

#23 2 years ago

I mean, if you were to buy a car on a forum you would also use PM sent. It is very similar to pinball.

#24 2 years ago

Do a little research and try it for yourself. See how it works out.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Or is "PM SENT" more of a territorial mark, meant to ward off other would-be PM senders, thus increasing your chances of scoring the big deal and reducing the amount of other potential buyers?
    Opinions appreciated. Please DO NOT send PMs.

This is always how I have viewed "PM sent". it's basically declaring this item is mine, so back off. You see it on facebook marketplace all the time. I've always thought it was a pretty stupid practice. Just send a PM, no need for the redundant public message.

#26 2 years ago

It’s a stupid practice if it’s a game you want, all your doing is bumping it up to the top so more people will see it.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

This is always how I have viewed "PM sent". it's basically declaring this item is mine, so back off.

The PM is sent asking a bunch of questions
    Another PM comes in after saying they'll take it
    OG PMer pissed they didn;t get first crack at it.

#28 2 years ago

It is the pinside equivalent of putting a quarter at the top of the arcade game control panel.

#29 2 years ago

I find that a Carrier Pigeon works best - no one can miss those. CP sent.

#30 2 years ago

I've used PM sent when someone is looking for help with one of our machines, to let others in the thread know, that this individual is getting support from us so no one else needs to be throwing out suggestions on how to solve their issue.

So reading this thread, a "PM sent" in a "need help" scenario is clearly different than in sales thread, where like others, I suspect it is more often than not a lame attempt to scare off other would be buyers. It probably does scare off a few, but doubt it is really that effective.

#31 2 years ago

Wish I was closer

#32 2 years ago

I never saw it as an attempt to scare off other buyers, but rather as a “Check your PMs now!” for the OP.

#33 2 years ago

Dude! I 'm still looking for my PM.....

#34 2 years ago

I’ve always looked at it as “Hey! I’m first guys! It’s me. It’s me.” I just smile and move on.

#35 2 years ago

I assume that “PM sent” means that there’s already 10+ PMs in OPs inbox and it’s a crapshoot for whom he decides to engage.

#36 2 years ago

The "PM Sent" message is the douchiest move I know of in pinball purchasing on pinside. As a seller, I hate it and always respond back to bump my thread and note that all offers are still being considered and nothing is final with any PMs I have received. If I am going to do a PM sent message myself, I personally respond with something like, "Nice machine! I just sent you a PM with a trade offer of my Stern Stars for Your MMr Royal". That way others can at least see what the competition is and the seller gets a bump.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The "PM Sent" message is the douchiest move I know of in pinball purchasing on pinside. As a seller, I hate it and always respond back to bump my thread and note that all offers are still being considered and nothing is final with any PMs I have received. If I am going to do a PM sent message myself, I personally respond with something like, "Nice machine! I just sent you a PM with a trade offer of my Stern Stars for Your MMr Royal". That way others can at least see what the competition is and the seller gets a bump.

I beg to differ, the phrase "cash on the glass" is the douchiest phrase ever.

#38 2 years ago
    5AD7CA1C-3D28-4282-BCEE-32DF8140124A (resized).jpeg5AD7CA1C-3D28-4282-BCEE-32DF8140124A (resized).jpeg
    #39 2 years ago

Im ahead of the game. I have PMS.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

I never saw it as an attempt to scare off other buyers, but rather as a “Check your PMs now!” for the OP.

Same here! I know a few in other forums, where they don't check their PMs often.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Seriously, every time I read that I quietly mumble, "oh fuckin jerk me off"

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Seriously, every time I read that I quietly mumble, "oh fuckin jerk me off"

That's going to take quite a bit of cash on the glass.

#43 2 years ago

Some people publicly announce PM sent because a response hasn’t been sent back. That’s what I do anyway. Not all posts have some hidden agenda.

#44 2 years ago

I always thought it meant sending Boris Johnson or Justin Trudeau, you know, to make it official.

#45 2 years ago

Dude, did you not get my fax about my PM??

#46 2 years ago

F6603605-AD40-42C5-B2BC-CD9ABEF39FE1.gifF6603605-AD40-42C5-B2BC-CD9ABEF39FE1.gif

This one is mine
    64797433-5085-40C4-BB77-700E6B5F9FEC.gif64797433-5085-40C4-BB77-700E6B5F9FEC.gif

#47 2 years ago

I like to post PM sent BEFORE I send the PM.

#48 2 years ago

I just say dibs. Works every time.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Does anyone actually count the cash on the glass in a sale? I’m always busy pulling the glass off to take the balls out and game apart to load.

The real method is handing a wad of cash to the seller and saying “HERE!…”

I swear to god if I have to read “cash is king” one more time….
    And it’s always written to be read in some smug tone like the person saying it made the phrase up in that moment and no one has ever heard that concept before. Ughhh

#50 2 years ago

A PM should be just that a private message.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pm-sent-?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.