• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230819_173100 (resized).jpg
20230819_173043 (resized).jpg
#1 10 months ago

Hey gang I got a spiderman machine in the arcade and at first it was just having trouble launching but now it's not doing anything anyone have any ideas what's wrong, this is my first pinball machine!

20230819_173043 (resized).jpg20230819_173043 (resized).jpg20230819_173100 (resized).jpg20230819_173100 (resized).jpg
#2 10 months ago

The coil in that first picture only moves a ball from the ball tray into the shooterlane. Then another coil shoots the ball into play (if autolauncher) or a mechanical spring loaded plunger.

If unsure, put the game in test mode using the buttons on the coindoor backside, enter coil test and check exactly what coil fails to actuate.

Check connected cables for the faulty/dead coil, the cables often get loose due to vibrations. If loose just solder it back on the correct coil lug. If unsure, take more pictures and ask again, don't take a chance and risk getting more/new problems.

Lots more to check but do the easiest thing first and get back to us with the results.

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

The coil in that first picture only moves a ball from the ball tray into the shooterlane. Then another coil shoots the ball into play.
If unsure, put the game in test mode using thebuttons on the coindoor backside, enter coil test and check exactly what coil fails to actuate.
Check connected cables for the faulty/dead coil, the cables often get loose due to vibrations. If loose just solder it back on the correct coil lug. If unsure, take more pictures and ask again, don't take a chance and risk getting more/new problems.
Lots more to check but do the easiest thing first and get back to us with the results.

10 4 captain I ordered new coils and I'm just waiting for them to come in!

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from Papawelder:

10 4 captain I ordered new coils and I'm just waiting for them to come in!

The thing is, the coils themselves are almost never the problem. A coil is just a bunch of copper wire.

In most cases it's the things upstream that controls the coil that fails. Either a loose cable, a shorted diode or transistor, a shoddy connector or similar. The coils you ordered will most probably not do any good.

#5 10 months ago

Exactly what machine is this? You tagged the thread with the 1980 Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man, but your photos show a 2016 Stern Spider-Man VE?

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

The thing is, the coils themselves are almost never the problem.

In general, or on this specific machine?

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

A coil is just a bunch of copper wire.

Yes, but it's relatively small wire insulated with a thin enamel coating. Too much current and it can short out or burn open.

As far as the OP's issue, he should look up the coil number and check its resistance to verify it's not open or shorted. He could also jump power over to it and test that it works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Saint Paul, MN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Machine - For Sale
Dunwoody, GA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newburgh, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kamloops, BC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.