View topic image gallery

5B951C4B-76FA-422E-B063-AE487AE50368 (resized).jpeg
8D5F38CC-EE24-4982-B9AA-EDA1D529DB12 (resized).jpeg
FE2F94AC-BA70-45AD-9F9A-F65B0E21C827 (resized).jpeg
84B2FC32-1CDF-4F4A-8167-36F6F18894FE (resized).jpeg
A2D74477-8B79-437D-B00E-1679F9DB81E2 (resized).jpeg
CCAD4FE6-8B35-45DE-B101-5E6ED589239A (resized).jpeg
E53D0DF2-63FC-460D-A7BB-4DA57D394B70 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I started working on a Bally KISS that a picked up a while back.

I imagine the issue was caused by me, as it would seem too coincidental that it would happen now if this wasn’t me. Here’s what I was doing.

I had everything working, and was replacing some dead bulbs. I was trying to get to a screw in a plastic in the back of the play field area, so I moved the playiekd out about 2 inches. I heard a buzzing and smelled a burnt smell, so I cut the game’s power off immediately. I then went searching for what may have burned.

I discovered there are a couple of fried wires coming off the transformer, which lead to power supply board.

I was going to replace the power supply board and re-pin the harnesses any ways, but what should I do about the transformer now?

Did my moving the play field cause that to burn up? Is it something I can repair, or do I need to get a new one? Is this a part that is too dangerous to keep in the game if it had this issue? Is the transformer something that is best to send out to an expert for repair?

I have never dealt with any power supply stuff before, so I’m at a real loss at what to do.

As always, it’s one step forward and three steps backwards.

E53D0DF2-63FC-460D-A7BB-4DA57D394B70 (resized).jpegE53D0DF2-63FC-460D-A7BB-4DA57D394B70 (resized).jpeg

CCAD4FE6-8B35-45DE-B101-5E6ED589239A (resized).jpegCCAD4FE6-8B35-45DE-B101-5E6ED589239A (resized).jpeg

A2D74477-8B79-437D-B00E-1679F9DB81E2 (resized).jpegA2D74477-8B79-437D-B00E-1679F9DB81E2 (resized).jpeg

84B2FC32-1CDF-4F4A-8167-36F6F18894FE (resized).jpeg84B2FC32-1CDF-4F4A-8167-36F6F18894FE (resized).jpeg

FE2F94AC-BA70-45AD-9F9A-F65B0E21C827 (resized).jpegFE2F94AC-BA70-45AD-9F9A-F65B0E21C827 (resized).jpeg

8D5F38CC-EE24-4982-B9AA-EDA1D529DB12 (resized).jpeg8D5F38CC-EE24-4982-B9AA-EDA1D529DB12 (resized).jpeg

5B951C4B-76FA-422E-B063-AE487AE50368 (resized).jpeg5B951C4B-76FA-422E-B063-AE487AE50368 (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Looks like the solenoid power got shorted somewhere.
I have to ask, are those 20 amp fuses in F4 and F6 ?

TBH, i didn’t check the fuse amps yet. It is a game I picked up a little while back, and it was unknown if it had issues, or was working. I had simply set the game up, connected all the wires/boards, and I turned it on to see what would come on at this point. I hadn’t gotten too far in to it when I made this goof.

I’m going to the redoing the wiring in the transformer, and I already had the new rectifier board, pins, and harnesses. Unfortunately, I wish I would have gotten the rectifier in before today, as maybe it would have prevented this extent of damage...especially if there are wrong amp fuses in (I will check that tomorrow for curiosity sake).

Thanks for the reply and input!
—Ed

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Validpowerdetect:

Easy fix, but time consuming. Run new wire, replace corroded fuse holder ( causes high resistance), re-pin male and female pins.
See Vids guide for bulletproofing Bally power supplies on this forum for tips on rebuilding it.
Oh yeah, check those fuses!

“Easy fix, but time consuming” is a-okay in my book...lol.
Thanks for the reply and input!

I already have the rectifier board, pins, and harnesses, as they were going to be my next item to do—too bad I didn’t get them in sooner, as maybe this wouldn’t have been as bad.
I ordered a set of wires for the transformer from a Pinsider who sells them as sets, which includes the correct colors and sizes, etc. for under $10 deleieved, and with instal instructions, I figured it would make things easier all around.

While I hadn’t originally planned on rewiring the transformer to the rectifier board, I guess doing it when I am going to put a new rectifier is a good time to do it.

And yes, I will check the old fuses that were on the board, tomorrow, out of curiosity. I bought the game in unknown working order, so I was still early in checking stuff when I made this rookie mistake moving the PF with power on, thus shorting it out.

I will check out the bullet proofing the power supply.,,thanks!

Thanks again, I will post updates Incase anyone is interested in how it turned out...lol.

Thanks again,
—Ed

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Definitely check the fuses. Bally transformers rarely fail. With the burnt wiring the fuse was at fault. Wire needs replaced and for the price of new rectifier boards, $60, get one. Replace all the .156 connector pin connectors and terminals as well.

All good advice, thank you! I will be rewiring the transformer ASAP. I already had a new rectifier board aaiting to go in, and I had planned to do the pins/harness work when I put the new rectifier in... too bad I hadn’t gotten them in yet, as maybe this could have been prevented.

I will check the fuses for curiosity sake tomorrow. I had barely gotten in to much when I made this screw up.

My biggest concern was if I would need to source a new transformer, but that doesn’t seem to be the case yet.

Thanks again for the reply and info!
—Ed

1 week later
#10 6 years ago

Okay, one step forward and five steps back. I redid all of the wires from the transformer going to the rectifier board. I also replaced the rectifier board. Game was starting to come back to life, so I figured I should redo the pins in the harnesses, especially those on the rectifier board.

Here is where I screw up so much that I don't even have words do describe my stupidity.

I got new displays, which required me to build them. I finished one, and thought, hey, I should try it out. I put it in the way I think it should go in, and the harness is having such a hard time going on, that I think it is about to break. I then look at it and see (HERE IT COME.... be ready) that if I flip the harness, it will fit. And yes, it fit so perfect this way that I think I must have messed up something in my build, and this must be right. I turn the game on .... displays dead. I replace 2 dead fuses (one on the rectifier and one on the driver board--granted, the driver board may have been from the original issue).

So, here I am, no displays, no game booting....and feeling really really dumb. I know we all have to learn...I just get really frustrated when I realize how dumb of mistakes I am making in some of my learning lessons.

any advice on what I should do next? (and I fully expect the "what you should do next is sell all your pinball machines")

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pls-help-bally-kiss-transformer-issue?tu=E_N_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.