(Topic ID: 253483)

Please participate in our Next Hardtop Poll!

By Outsidedge

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by WalrusPin
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Please participate in our Next Hardtop Poll!”

• Swords of Fury 54 votes
    16%
  • Flash 77 votes
    23%
  • Cyclone 52 votes
    15%
  • Hurricane 5 votes
    1%
  • Strikes and Spares 33 votes
    10%
  • High Speed II Get Away 54 votes
    16%
  • Xenon 65 votes
    19%

(340 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20211128-114114_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20211008-073940_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
IMG_0419 (resized).JPG
16311142207467917264409030239689 (resized).jpg
DSC_0325 (resized).JPG
4F87AC2C-5CE1-4325-A1AE-E9F8A15E448E (resized).jpeg
CDBA39B7-0B39-499B-B71F-971344C1D6D6 (resized).jpeg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_2460 (resized).JPG
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 3 years ago

Jungle Lord I have your blackout which is perfect

#102 3 years ago

Centaur

I feel as though I once read somewhere (I may be incorrect), a statement from OutsideEdge saying they weren't keen to do titles already available through other makers. However, I'd think, theoretically, for every new repro playfield sold and used, there is now a beat up playfield unused, laying around.. awaiting rebirth with a hardtop!

It's Centaur.

full disclosure, I'm presently staring at a post-swap beat out C pf wondering what to do with it.

3 weeks later
#103 3 years ago

Earthshaker, Funhouse, Police Force, Whirlwind

1 month later
#104 3 years ago

Since you are licensed with Gottlieb how about some classic wedgeheads? King of Diamonds, Cross Town, Bank a Ball, Kings and Queens to name a few.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from markpratt:

Since you are licensed with Gottlieb

Hmmm...where do you see this posted? I don't believe they inquired on the Gottlieb IP yet.

Strikes and Spares is a Bally game, which is in the poll. Strikes 'n Spares is a Gottlieb game, not in the poll.

#106 3 years ago

Earthshaker please, please, please

#107 3 years ago

Cyclone!!!!

4 weeks later
#108 3 years ago

Cyclone

#110 3 years ago

Cyclone and possibly Checkpoint?

#111 3 years ago

Earthshaker, Whirlwind, Police Force please.

#113 3 years ago

Bally Rolling Stones. No options other than the vinyl overlay.

#114 3 years ago

Did anyone mention Supersonic

Seriously, with 10K of them, this is a popular title that always has a playfield totally blown out.

1 week later
#115 3 years ago

I second the motion for Laser Cue.

#116 3 years ago

Jungle Lord seems to be taking longer than other titles to compete

1 month later
#117 3 years ago

So after banging out a hard top in under 3 hrs (total man hours). I’ve watched all the YouTube vids and have come to the conclusion you guys really have over thought this hard top install. This thing is stupid easy no need to tape and clamp the hard top. No need for a second person. Just use 3 star post with hardware to secure the hardtop after fitting it ( diametrically ) and bam peel and stick. Hell I didn’t even remove the playfield from the game. No need for a rotisserie ( even tho I think people buy these to just say they have one, and say rotisserie as many times as they can) if you’ve changed a set of brakes on a car you can do this in a night. No clear coat required just polish the inserts.

4F87AC2C-5CE1-4325-A1AE-E9F8A15E448E (resized).jpeg4F87AC2C-5CE1-4325-A1AE-E9F8A15E448E (resized).jpegCDBA39B7-0B39-499B-B71F-971344C1D6D6 (resized).jpegCDBA39B7-0B39-499B-B71F-971344C1D6D6 (resized).jpeg
#118 3 years ago

To each their own. I've done three hardtop installs so far:

- No way would I want to sand off the insert art/shine with the playfield still in the cabinet, just from a sheer dust perspective (unless your pin is in your garage or driveway, and you don't care about dirtying up the rest of your cabinet interior). Also - how the hell are you supposed to get the factory stapled rails out of a Bally SS machine while it's still in the cabinet?

- I did my first hardtop by putting the playfield on a couple of sawhorses for the topside teardown, hardtop install, and topside repopulation. Then I got a rotisserie and used that for the next two hardtop installs. Hands down, way better/easier with rotisserie.

- I've done two installs where I just wet sanded the inserts and a third where I laid down a couple of light coats of rattle can clear on the inserts. No appreciable difference IMO and will probably just go the wet sand polished route for my next hardtop install.

- Clamps holding the hardtop in place during installation is a quick and easy no brainer. I do agree that one person can install it easily by himself (I did two that way) if everything goes right in the peeling back of the backing. However....if that peeling part doesn't go well and that backing rips or does something that requires you to use an Xacto knife or a pair of scissors to recover and get back on track, a second pair of hands really comes in handy. I make sure my son is within shouting distance when I start putting down the hardtop.

Bottom line: do what you're comfortable with after spending $300+ on the hardtop product and not having to buy another if you muck it up.

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

To each their own. I've done three hardtop installs so far:
- No way would I want to sand off the insert art/shine with the playfield still in the cabinet, just from a sheer dust perspective (unless your pin is in your garage or driveway, and you don't care about dirtying up the rest of your cabinet interior. Also - how the hell are you supposed to get the factory stapled rails out of a Bally SS machine while it's still in the cabinet?
- I did my first hardtop by putting the playfield on a couple of sawhorses for the topside teardown, hardtop install, and topside repopulation. Then I got a rotisserie and used that for the next two hardtop installs. Hands down, way better/easier with rotisserie.
- I've done two installs where I just wet sanded the inserts and a third where I laid down a couple of light coats of rattle can clear on the inserts. No appreciable difference IMO and will probably just go the wet sand polished route for my next hardtop install.
- Clamps holding the hardtop in place during installation is a quick and easy no brainer. I do agree that one person can install it easily by himself (I did two that way) if everything goes right in the peeling back of the backing. However....if that peeling part doesn't go well and that backing rips or does something that requires you to use an Xacto knife or a pair of scissors, and second pair of hands really comes in handy. I make sure my son is within shouting distance when I start putting down the hardtop.
Bottom line: do what you're comfortable with after spending $300+ on the hardtop product and not having to buy another if you muck it up.

its called a sander attached to a shop vac, case in point. theres no muck to get into the cabinet when using a da with a vacuum. also any "dirty" part can be shop vac'd out. also the amount of sanding dust that made its way to to any switches was EASILY vacuumed out from the topside. If your decent with your tack rag you'll get 90% of the dust before you even need to vacuum

your Staple issue can be fixed by tilt the play field up. ( I should have specified play field was Lifted out and rested from its normal position)

the clamps aren't need since your using the holes that have been tooled for the game, agreed its just as quick to clamp but why? why not use the holes in the hard top to hold your position? the error will decrease significantly as the 3 or 4 random holes will line up all your others and you don't have to worry about clamps sliding or tape sliping. and you've ensured that quadrant will be 100% and when done move the 3-4 the other direction.

with the ripping of the back, it happed to me 2-3 times. but was easily able to rectify to situation with my exact-o knife or exact-o finger. not trying to start an argument but seems some of the info on these is skewed like they're getting ready to put this play field into space. Its a pinball machine not a spaceship.

#120 3 years ago

I second Meteor but since it's a Stern Pin and CPR makes repops I'm not holding my breath.

#121 3 years ago

KISS, please.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

its called a sander attached to a shop vac, case in point

Yep - I don't have that setup. And even if I did....still wouldn't do it. My pins are in my downstairs furnished home theater/rec room and my hidden workshop/storage area has space for my workbench where I do PCB repair....no space for a playfield. Sanding, painting, etc. etc....that's what I have a garage for.

Quoted from hockeymutt:

your Staple issue can be fixed by tilt the play field up.

No way I could've gotten those staples out with the playfield tilted vertically in the cabinet. Perhaps my staple-removal skillz aren't on par with everyone else.

Clamps - do most of the holes line up fine? Yes. But why chance it when it comes to insert alignment? Your focus on a hardtop install is to ensure your insert artwork lines up 100% everywhere first, then clamp down and worry about the hole alignment later. On the three installs I've done, at least a dozen holes have had to be widened for posts/etc to fit, and several holes were either misaligned so poorly (or missing altogether) that I had to put new holes in the hardtop. Dremel to the rescue.

Rock on....

#123 3 years ago

F-14
Space Station

#125 3 years ago

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/stones-playfield/

Quoted from jbovenzi:

Bally Rolling Stones. No options other than the vinyl overlay.

#126 3 years ago

Getaway did get a lot of votes. Now that I have picked up a project HS2, I am rooting for this next!

#127 3 years ago

Flash and Meteor would be instant buys for me. I've done Blackout and Firepower thus far. I will probably pull the trigger on Frontier soon.

2 weeks later
#128 3 years ago

Yes thank you. I waited at least four years on the promise that they would do that field.

Pulled the trigger on the overlay over the winter and they now release the playfield!

D’oh! (Actually I said stronger curse words than that!)

2 weeks later
#129 3 years ago

Another vote for Meteor. CPR is out of stock, and many of us have no time for playfield swap anyway. Hardtop would be nice! Thanks

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Flanker:

Another vote for Meteor. CPR is out of stock, and many of us have no time for playfield swap anyway. Hardtop would be nice! Thanks

Yes please. I'm an immediate buy on this one.

#131 3 years ago

Bally Strikes and Spares

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

My vote is for F14 because every one that Ive gotten through the shop had terrible bubbling on the mylar.
And thanks for the headsup on the list and what is still available.

I was going to suggest the same

1 week later
#133 3 years ago

Flash would be my request - my playfield is trashed, but I'm not in the game enough to want to spend the effort for a playfield swap.

new hardtop + repro backglass and Ms Rat would be floating on a cloud with happiness (Flash is one of her favs)

ATB - R

#134 3 years ago

Whirlwind. Best system 11 pin.

#135 3 years ago

Bally SnS

#136 3 years ago

Meteor.......

#137 3 years ago

We need a baby Pac-Man hardtop! I am in Columbus as well, if you need my playfield to measure and test it out

1 week later
#138 3 years ago

Silverball Mania
Over 10K units sold. One of the best art packages. And a good majority of them are blown out. Im sure it would be a good seller.

DSC_0325 (resized).JPGDSC_0325 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#139 2 years ago

I’ll add to the Stern Stars vote. Very popular game with bare wood on many of the play fields. But installing a new playfield that costs what the game does is tough to justify. Many of these other titles can swing a new playfield

#140 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#141 2 years ago

Yeah jungle lord

1 month later
#142 2 years ago

Any chance of a classic Stern being added to the queue? I just picked up a project Meteor that would greatly benefit from a hardtop. That would be my first choice before trying to track down a CPR replacement.

1 month later
#143 2 years ago

Need one badly for Road Kings

16311142207467917264409030239689 (resized).jpg16311142207467917264409030239689 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#144 2 years ago

I'm surprised Capt. Fantastic hasn't been suggested. 16,155 produced! I've already owned four, and three of the four would have received a hardtop had one been available.

#145 2 years ago

I'd but a CF

#146 2 years ago

Diner

#147 2 years ago

Meteor, Seawitch, Kiss, Stars

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Any chance of a classic Stern being added to the queue? I just picked up a project Meteor that would greatly benefit from a hardtop.

Catacomb exists now, but that doesn't help you on Meteor other than saying, possibly one day. http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Catacomb exists now, but that doesn't help you on Meteor other than saying, possibly one day. http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/

I couldn't wait. I found an unused CPR Meteor (early run, had to fix some things) locally for really cheap. Almost done, working on the cabinet now.

IMG_0419 (resized).JPGIMG_0419 (resized).JPG
#150 2 years ago

Earthshaker please

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-participate-in-our-next-hardtop-poll/page/3?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.