Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

carbide (resized).png
    illustrator (resized).png
    FaqJ25sUUAEym3o (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hello;

I am just finishing a design for a Whole Playfield Protector for my Class of 1812 (Gottlieb, 1991).

I'm making the protector for personal use. I do not intend to sell them to the public. However, I would like to share my design so that others can make their own, or even sell them.

It would be great if PinSide would host pinball related "Maker Files" for the community to share.

I am aware of general places to host such files, but not of one that is specific to for pinball related files.

If someplace like this already exists: Please point me in the right direction, and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

- Mark

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from robin:

What about copyrights? Are they a factor if you share models that you model yourself?

I am NOT a lawyer, so please take with a grain of salt: Artwork is copyrightable, and should not be included. However, parts are not copyrightable. This is why you can buy replacement car parts from sources other than the OEM.

Quoted from robin:

And what kind of file formats are we talking about? I imagine a playfield protector is a different format (2d) vs a 3D printed popbumper cap?

Yeah, the formats would be based on the tool used by the Maker. As my work is 2D, I used a decade old copy of Adobe Illustrator (CS5), and at the moment my work is in .ai format. However, within Illustrator, I can save or export my work to several other formats such as .svg and .dwg.

I would recommend establishing preferred formats, but using it as a guideline rather than a rule.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It will probably require moderating, or some sort of review process for files uploaded if Pinside hypothetically allowed it.

I agree moderation is required to ensure files are pinball related, don't violate copyright, and were created by the up-loader.

One more thing: Licensing. I think that you can make a rule, where if you upload your creation, you automatically grant permission for anyone to use the work for personal use. However, the Maker should have the ability to specify a license for Commercial use. Ex:

1) No Commercial Use Allowed.
    2) Contact Maker For Permission to use Commercially. (Maker may request royalties. That is between the Maker and the Manufacturer, Pinside is not involved.)
    3) Commercial Use Allowed, Maker Must be Credited.
    4) Commercial Use Is Unrestricted.

- Mark

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is getting into the weeds just a little bit, but it's relevant and important too. Illustrator does not export SVG in a format most programs expect. As such it will often import at the wrong size. I'm adding an image with a technical explanation of why.
    But the short version is this: Illustrator's SVG format is not a reliable way to share information that is a specific real-world size. Someone could use your file to cut a playfield protector and find it doesn't fit, depending on the chain of programs used to do it.
    The following is an excerpt about making PCBs from SVG images, but it applies to anything else too:
    [quoted image]

Thank you for letting me know about this potential issue.

I'm not sure if this applies to my specific file, as I did all my work in inches not pixels.

- Mark

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It applies...

What format would you recommend?

Every package I know can read/write AutoCad files (.dgw).

Does it being a proprietary format cause any issues?

- Mark

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

... it would be great if there was a way to link a file on one of the general sites to a machine on Pinside so that people could find it. ...

Easy to implement, but then you are dependent on the external sites not changing their site in such a way that invalidates all the links.

I run into this issue all the time while searching for all the bits to make a table playable on my virtual pinball cabinet.

- Mark

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I would export to DXF. DWG is technically a proprietary format, and DXF is open source. As you noted many programs can read DWG, but DXF will have broader compatibility.

Will do!

- Mark

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

...it would be smart to include dimensions for things so that people could sanity check. Annnnnd, that's how this all starts getting complicated.

We might be over thinking this. I believe it should work very much like this Forum:

Each file should be be associated or linked to the first post in a Topic.
    The Maker can describe the file in that first post and link applicable games, systems, manufacturers, eras or "all" (which ever level of detail is appropriate.
    If the file is ever revised, the first post should be updated with the new version.
    Only the first post should require moderation. Perhaps rules would be required to prevent uploading of files (other than pictures) in subsequent posts.

The Topic should remain unlocked for questions and comments. Any scaling or other issues should be uncovered and documented fairly quickly by the community.

- Mark

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Each thread could link to the machine(s) for which the design/part would work.
    The other feature request I would have, would be to add some kind of "machine group" field to the machine database on the site, so when someone designs something that will work for any EM pin, or any Stern Spike 2 pin, or any WPC95 pin, or whatever, the thread's link could be to that machine group instead of having to enumerate every single pin that it might apply to.s.

Yup! That is what I meant by "systems" above.

I think the main moderated sub-forum should be kept for final design files. A second (new or existing) unmoderated sub-forum could be used for WIP announcements, help requests, tester requests, progress reports, suggestions, project requests and other chit-chat before a final product is released.

- Mark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-host-pinball-related-maker-files?tu=shaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.