Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

carbide (resized).png
    illustrator (resized).png
    FaqJ25sUUAEym3o (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It applies, units in Illustrator aren't actually a fixed concept, you can switch between them at will, they won't change the SVG scaling. Let me show you. This Illustrator file was set to inches, and I exported an SVG with the following dimensions:
    [quoted image]
    Then I opened it in Carbide Create, a program for exporting tool paths to a CNC. So perfect example of taking someone's Illustrator file and turning it into cut paths to make say a slingshot or ball trough or inserts etc.
    This is what Carbide Create shows me on importing that file:
    [quoted image]
    As you can see it's off by the exact same scale factor discussed. 96/72=1.33 and 10/7.5=1.33
    I can correct for that if I know to look for it, but just importing someone else's SVG I'll have no clue. Which is why if this idea takes off I don't recommend using SVG as a format. It's an unfortunate issue Adobe refuses to fix because they don't want to break backwards compatibility.

Scaling is already an issue on thingiverse, I’m used to dealing with that.

It would be cool to be able to pull up a game here and see a list of printables for it. I guess youd need another area for files that aren’t game specific.

Also need to think about file validation of the uploaded files for whatever formats you support.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The problem is .svg is a generic format, and you don't know what program created it. So it might have been made in Inkscape and be the right size, but you thought it was from Illustrator and make it 33% bigger and it doesn't fit.
    This is why Adobe really should just get over themselves and fix it.
    That said, it would be smart to include dimensions for things so that people could sanity check. Annnnnd, that's how this all starts getting complicated.

Wouldn’t most people use STL? Either way, I run into this scaling issue all the time. I’d think if I found a file and was confused by the scale I’d just try contacting the person that posted it, like on Thingiverse.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

STL is for 3D objects, we're discussing 2D ones, like laser cutting playfield protectors, which is what this thread was started about.
    This is honestly kind of a huge undertaking because there are so many different formats and things people might want to archive.

It doesn’t need to be complicated. Allow STL, SVG, DXF, whatever. As said above, people are sharing these already as dumb links in a thread, so this is just a welcome upgrade (that I hope happens). Handling these other formats is no different than handling uploaded images. All you have to do is verify the contents aren’t malicious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-host-pinball-related-maker-files?tu=radium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.