• Latest reply 2 years ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

data east power supply (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have an interesting situation. My Maverick pin plays fine and the background music will continue to play as long as you are playing. However, after a game is over and the background music stops it will not come back on when a new game is started. If I turn the machine off then back on, the music plays as it should. When the music goes away, all the other sound effects continue to work. Any ideas for a fix are appreciated. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Did you reseat both ends of fhe ribbon cable at the MPU and the sound board?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you reseat both ends of fhe ribbon cable at the MPU and the sound board?

No.....will try it.

#4 5 years ago

Reseating the ribbon cable had no affect. Still having same problem. When the background music stops playing what sounds like Amazing Grace it will not start playing again when starting a new game. Should I try reseating the roms on the sound board? I dont understand why it works perfectly when turning the machine on but then quits.

#5 5 years ago

You can try reseating the ROMs. Seems there is a logic signal missing that is controlling that and a bad connection can be the cause. I saw many issues with the ribbon cable reseating that has helped in many other sound issues such as phrases being repeated.

#6 5 years ago

Do you have an original DE power supply in the game? Any mods in the game?

#7 5 years ago

Do you have an original DE power supply in the game? Any mods in the game?

I believe it's the original and no mods

#8 5 years ago

Check the power board for burnt connectors. My C1 on Jurassic Park was toasty and causing those same problems. Seems to be a known issue with Data East.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

I believe it's the original and no mods

Can you post a picture of it? I do not beleieve it is not related. I just been finding several DE lately having power supplies causing boot up issues with low 5volts due to leaking C2 and C4 capacitors due to the age.

#10 5 years ago

I read on another post to unplug all connectors on the sound board and reseat them. I did that as well as put new batteries on the MPU and now it's working. Thanks for all the ideas!

Now if I could just get rid of this hum

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Now if I could just get rid of this hum

Cool, glad you solved the sound issue.

Re: the hum, search Data East hum and you'll find lots of ideas. Some are very easy and worth a quick shot.

#12 5 years ago

Great news on the sound issue.

Still looking for a picture of your power supply.

#13 5 years ago

Great news on the sound issue.
Still looking for a picture of your power supply.

Will get one posted tomorrow......

#14 5 years ago

Pic of power supply.....

data east power supply (resized).jpgdata east power supply (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago

Definitely an original DE power supply. I count 5 of the smaller electrolytic capacitors that would be wise to change soon.

#16 5 years ago

Definitely an original DE power supply. I count 5 of the smaller electrolytic capacitors that would be wise to change soon.

Think that will reduce the hum?

#17 5 years ago

No. Replacing these will prevent them from leaking and damaging the board and prevent voltage problems, keeping your game playing for another 10+ years

#18 5 years ago

If you can, check the voltages on the sound board to see if it is voltage related.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speaker-hum#post-4510399

This is the thread that was mentioned.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure

Thou, the best solution I read throughout Pinside was to replace the metal screws and washers on the sound board (that screw down to the metal brackets in the backbox) with plastic screws/washers. This is supposed to isolate the ground plane of the sound board from the ground in the game and is supposed to the most significant change far as speaker hum goes.

2 years later
#19 2 years ago

My Maverick has the same exact problem as the original poster. If I start a game and play, all the sounds and music work great. After the game is over, it will play Amazing Grace and show the high scores, etc. The music will stop and when I start another game, it won’t play music.

Any tips on what I should check out on the sound board? I have pulled and reseated the connectors on the sound board, but the music problem remains.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

My Maverick has the same exact problem as the original poster. If I start a game and play, all the sounds and music work great. After the game is over, it will play Amazing Grace and show the high scores, etc. The music will stop and when I start another game, it won’t play music.
Any tips on what I should check out on the sound board? I have pulled and reseated the connectors on the sound board, but the music problem remains.

Follow the other tips above. Pull the sound board roms along with any other ICs and check all the legs for corrosion. Replace corroded sockets as found... Change the batteries and look for cold solder joints on the sound board and the power supply?

Did you check the voltages on the sound board using the link above? I know that did not resolve the issue for the OP but failing caps may possibly work for some period of time and then crap out if they are on their last leg.

4 months later
#21 2 years ago

My issue is resolved. My bridge rectifier on the power supply board blew a leg. When this happened it also took out one of the fuses. I was able to remove the blown bridge rectifier and solder in a new one. The part was cheap (like around $4). The game was still losing the background music and then discovered that one of the fuses was blown and needed replacement. The machine was been playing and working great since then.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-helpmaverick-is-losing-background-music and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.