• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B78279C7-CC98-4FBD-956D-6D0CCA9179D7 (resized).jpeg
XP-BLY2518-18 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am helping a friend restore a Paragon. We recently replaced the rectifier board with the XPin XP-BLY2518-18. The original Bally rectifier board was really crispy and had several bad pins on J1. However, the playfield GI was working with the original bally rectifier board.

Now, with the new Xpin rectifier board installed, everything works except for the PF GI. The backbox GI is working fine. We have double checked all the wiring to the new rectifier board from the transformer. One thing I thought a bit unusual - the 230v test point on the new board was at 166.8v. All the displays do work fine.

What pins should I be checking on the board for the PF GI, and what voltage should I be getting (I'm guessing 6.3 vac)?

XP-BLY2518-18 (resized).jpgXP-BLY2518-18 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Did you redo the pins on the connectors or anything?

On early ballys like paragon, the playfield and backbox GI is literally connected together inside the board, so there's not really anything to check beyond the connector pins, continuity, etc.

#3 3 years ago

There is an extra pin at J1 on the new board. Make sure you have your connector assembled correctly to not use the extra pin.

#4 3 years ago

Connector wires from left to right should be
-white
-green
-not used(empty)
-key
-orange
-brown
-blue
-red
-not used( this is the extra pin on the new board)

#5 3 years ago

Here is a picture of my connector that goes to J1. My housing only has 8 positions because I have an original board. If your new connector has 9 positions the extra one next to the red wire won’t be used and the rest of the connector should be assembled the same as mine.

B78279C7-CC98-4FBD-956D-6D0CCA9179D7 (resized).jpegB78279C7-CC98-4FBD-956D-6D0CCA9179D7 (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did you redo the pins on the connectors or anything?
On early ballys like paragon, the playfield and backbox GI is literally connected together inside the board, so there's not really anything to check beyond the connector pins, continuity, etc.

Isn't there a 1/2 amp fuse under the playfield for the GI, for this generation of pin? I have a Paragon but it's a project in storage.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks so much for the help, especially trilogybeer's wire position descriptions and pics of his J1 connector. I will go verify the positions and J1 placement on the xpin board next time I go to his house.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Isn't there a 1/2 amp fuse under the playfield for the GI, for this generation of pin? I have a Paragon but it's a project in storage.

I don't think any games have under playfield GI fuses, iirc

#9 3 years ago

The board doesn't do much for the GI except fuse it. Since the backbox GI is working the main fuse is good. There is no playfield fuse. The 1A SB playfield fuse is for the coils. Typically the cause of this is rectifier connectors are burned. Lets see a clear picture of your playfield power connector. Should match Trilogies above with no burning.

Assuming that all checks out take out the voltmeter set for ac and look for 6.3vac at the GI lamps.

2 months later
#10 2 years ago

Sorry for the delay. The original J1 connector was off by 1 pin to the new Xpin rectifier board. Thanks so much for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-with-paragon-pf-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.