Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrossman5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So randomly yesterday, the ball launcher on my LW3 just stopped working. I went into the tests and the switch works fine. The coil doesn’t work about 80 percent of the time, but once in a while if you test it it will work. I tried the test today and once it fired, it actually started to smoke a little. Is it a bad coil? Not sure if I want to mess with it anymore as I don’t want to screw anything else up. It’s a shame the game is unplayable without it.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

So randomly yesterday, the ball launcher on my LW3 just stopped working. I went into the tests and the switch works fine. The coil doesn’t work about 80 percent of the time, but once in a while if you test it it will work. I tried the test today and once it fired, it actually started to smoke a little. Is it a bad coil? Not sure if I want to mess with it anymore as I don’t want to screw anything else up. It’s a shame the game is unplayable without it.

If the coil started to smoke at the launcher mech, I start by disassembling the launch mechanism and checking the coil. You can check the coil resistance (should be around 4.5 ohms) my guess is the paper wrapper or plastic has melted to cause the smoke. See if the coil sleeve will slide out. Most likely it was dirty or worn and that caused a domino effect of the coil failing.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If the coil started to smoke at the launcher mech, I start by disassembling the launch mechanism and checking the coil. You can check the coil resistance (should be around 4.5 ohms) my guess is the paper wrapper or plastic has melted to cause the smoke. See if the coil sleeve will slide out. Most likely it was dirty or worn and that caused a domino effect of the coil failing.

Thank you for the advice. After closer inspection, it turns out that it is just a cable that broke off

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Thank you for the advice. After closer inspection, it turns out that it is just a cable that broke off

Well, I'm glad you found that, what about the origin of the smoke?

#5 5 years ago

Mine smoked up good and needed to be replaced recently.

Could have sworn the metal clip from the decorative flasher thing that mounts over the coil was causing a short.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well, I'm glad you found that, what about the origin of the smoke?

Not sure, I assumed that the cable was just hanging on to the coil, so it made a very poor connection. I saw a spark fly down too when I tested it, so it is a possible a spark just burnt a little of the wrapper, however I’m not sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,800 (OBO)
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-with-lethal-weapon-3-ball-launcher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.