(Topic ID: 149645)

Please help Troubleshoot my first DMD issue

By ramsfan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello, I am very new to collecting, and just encountered my first DMD issue after having friends over last night. The pin is FS. I have posted a video of the issue here:

Game play is not affected, and I can tell the display is reacting to things happening during gameplay.

If anyone can advise me on what steps to take in order to troubleshoot this, i would greatly appreciate it. For what it is worth, I have other Wiliams games like FT, WCS, TAF, and IJ.

Thank you!!!!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Try reseating the ribbon cable(s) to and from the DMD display driver board in the top right of the head. Pull each connection off and then replace it. Do this with the power off.
If this doesn't correct it borrow this DMD board from one of your other games and see if it works now in Flintstines and report back here.

Hi Mike, thanks for the help! Here is the update, and I am using FT as the swap pin for the FS repair.

I reseated the cables, no help. I even took the ribbon cable off of FT, and swapped it into FS, no help. I put all cables back to original machines, FT

I then took the DMD out of FT, put it in FS. When I powered up FS, the DMD worked fine.
I then put the DMD's back to their original machines, FT working fine (as expected), FS still exhibiting the issue.

#6 8 years ago

As best I can tell, the brand is Babcock, it has a date code of "4895", which I assume is April 8, 1995.

The bummer is I have only owned this machine for less than two weeks - ugh!!!

#9 8 years ago

So, is it confirmed I just need to replace the DMD? There isn't any simple thing to try just in case? In my case, it is not missing a row, a column, etc.... A lot of the troubleshooting refers to these situations. It is also not a display that is gassing out or weak. It is just firing odd data to the display, as I captured in my video it seems to be trying to work, so maybe just maybe there is a simple potential fix - hoping and praying, and praying, and hoping!

#15 8 years ago

You guys are all fantastic! Thank you so much. I will try moving the FS DMD to FT, but that is a .01% chance, but why not. I am enjoying getting more comfortable with the pins anyway.

I will then proceed to either upgrade one of my pins to Color, or try and get a used one.

Thank you all again - this hobby is awesome, and I waited ten years too long to get started!

#17 8 years ago

So, as expected, I moved the FS DMD to FT, and saw the same type of behavior...

1 week later
#20 8 years ago

Well, I had not yet bought a replacement DMD yet, and we had a bunch of people over last night, so I thought "what the heck" and I put the DMD back in Flintstones so people could play it.

Well, when the machine started up, I saw the same behavior, then later in the evening while people were playing the DMD worked FLAWLESSLY. Then after a little while longer, it went back to the problematic behavior...

Does this point anyone to something I can try and repair/troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 37.50
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ramsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-troubleshoot-my-first-dmd-issue?tu=ramsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.