(Topic ID: 134895)

Please help this beginner!! - T2 Pinball driver board destroyed?

By Plop_and_Drop

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Warbound
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150805_184426.jpg
8.jpg
sol_28.jpg
20150803_201652.jpg
20150804_105843.jpg
20150803_193050.jpg
20150803_193026.jpg
20150803_192854.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Thanks Zaza. I took a look at the WPC schematic manual (after downloading it this morning) and not the wiring diagram in the game specific manual and your diagram now makes sense. If I understand correctly, the normal solenoid circuits (connectors J127 and J130) are already wired with that diode on the 50V side. The flash-lamp circuit (connector J122) has optional diodes that can be inserted into the circuit by inserting wires in pins 5,6,8 and 9 depending on the drive transistor. It looks like the function of this diode is like the ones across the flipper lugs but instead of being on the solenoid are on the PCB.

Expiring minds want to know and are never too old to learn.

#52 8 years ago

That is totally correct !!

in addition, J126 is also equipped with 4 free diodes on pin 10-13, those 4 are connected to J125 pin 6-9 and J126 pin 5-8 but not in a logical order.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Then you need to spend a few hours reading and watching videos to learn how to solder. Then practice on something other than a valuable pinball board

amazon has some great beginner prjoects,plus the kids love them after i build them! Win,Win situation!

#54 8 years ago

From my T2 restore here is how the wiring looks on the actual coil.

Its the same as in zazas awesome diagram.

8.jpg8.jpg

#55 8 years ago

That's awesome zaza, thanks for the schematic! Also props to Eddie for the pic. At least now I feel confident that I actually wired it correctly. Makes me more confused as to why it burned up.

I suppose it could have been from the drop down coil being shorted...?

As for the fuse I replaced in F104, thanks G-P-E for the explanation! Turns out I pulled a 3A Littelfuse and replaced it with a 3A Bussmann - could that really have been the issue? Doesn't seem like it would have made a difference.

I appreciate all the encouragement in fixing it myself, but I think I'm going to leave it to the pros this first time around. Until I can really practice with the right tools on boards I'm okay potentially losing.

Feeling especially eager to have Rob take a closer look after discovering this hack job in the bottom left of the driver board...
20150805_184426.jpg20150805_184426.jpg

Being as new as I am to these, I thought that was normal until Rob told me that no wires should be soldered directly to the board. I then discovered through google pictures of the boards that it definitely was not normal! Now hoping it can be fixed.

#56 8 years ago

Hi Anthony, as I mentioned in my email, that's your GI input, and yes it's completely repairable to original.

Your damaged board caused the driver to lock on, frying the coil. Even if the driver and coil were both replaced with new, the damage to the board would have taken things out again. As I mentioned, the carbon scoring needs to be dealt with.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#57 8 years ago

Hey there notice you're from Anchorage, AK...before you send out that board send me a PM I might know someone who can help fix it locally.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from hawksfan:

back in the Intel 486 (Maybe Pentium) days. They locked the chips by cutting one of the surface traces. You could just buy the slower chip then use a pencil to reconnect the trace to unlock it to run faster.

Yep. I did that many times. I turned many math coprocessors on too (changed sx chip into a dx chip). Rear window defogger repair liquid could be used also. Sometimes lead pencils were funky if you had the wrong kind on hand (I think you needed #2, cant remember for sure).

Def. Agree o.p. can learn here with lower end tools. I did with my bywatch. It was fried in multiple areas. I soldered in many new driver transistors and pre drivers. Made mistakes but just got back in there and kept trying. 3rd or 4th try and it came back to life! Still playing it 4 1/2 years later. Go for it op!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-this-beginner-t2-pinball-driver-board-destroyed/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.