Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

filtered.png
    Untitled.png
    notsure.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bimm25i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So I bought a couple ornaments that run on CR2303 batteries and I want to rig them up to a couple GI light sockets, I know the tiniest bit about circuits but I can solder like a champ, could someone tell me what the circuit would look like to step down from 6.3 V to 3 VDC ?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

GI buddy is for the voltage range of 5VDC to 60VDC.
    For 3.3V, just use a bridge rectifier and an LM317 regulator,
    Resistors to adjust LM317 for 3.3VDC: R1=240 ohms, R2=394 ohms. http://www.reuk.co.uk/LM317-Voltage-Calculator.htm
    Mount the parts on a small breadboard like this:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/pc-2/solderable-perf-board/1.html
    Easy and inexpensive

thanks! what kind of bridge rectifier do I need? do I need to be on the nose with my voltages or do I just get one that rated to handle a specific voltage? If any old BR will do, I actually have a spare bridge rectifier on hand with one bad leg (I think it was +) can I use the (-) leg on that one? It seems too beefy to me (its a MB354 ). I'll wait for help before proceeding.

#11 6 years ago

thanks a lot guys. so to be clear...

notsure.jpg

what do I do at 1, 2 and 3?

2 weeks later
    #20 6 years ago

hmmm, I bought the parts and bulilt the circuit but it didn't work. any thoughts? The VR got a little hot while soldering, do they pop easily?

Untitled.png
    #22 6 years ago

https://www.etsy.com/listing/173091869/flux-capacitor-ornament-from-back-to-the?ref=market

its this ornament ^

ebay.com link: itm

I replaced the LED's with these SMDs and it made it a lot brighter/thinner ^
    it still works on a CR2025 battery after replacing the LED's

I didn't check voltages because I didn't solder it in place and I was out of hands to run a meter. I am assuming the new parts from Radio Shack were good, but I guess its always a numbers game. I'll have to solder the thing in place and check the voltage at the battery connector. I'm using about 6" one way of 20ga from the 555 socket and 8" of 22ga going to the ornament, I cant believe Id be dropping .3V over such short runs, could I?

I think you've got something about the capacitor though, and I think I have some spares lying around, what sort of farad amount do I need to shoot for?

#24 6 years ago

I had a 50V 47uf, put it in place, the meter showed 1.6 VDC bridging the battery contact pads on the ornament
    could I put another in parallel? I have another one

#26 6 years ago

6.29VAC on the 555 socket

#28 6 years ago

I moved the 2 parallel 47uf capacitors from directly between the VR and ornament + battery pad to between the bridge rectifier and the V in on the VR. the circuit is putting out 1.29VDC on the contact pads.

it reads 1.29 AC as well on the battery pads.

the 22 ga wire powering the ornament is actually about 16 inches long. Could I just be voltage dropping by 50% maybe?

#29 6 years ago

So I read 6.3 AC in at the Bridge Rectifier and 5.13 DC between the + and - on the BR.
    Then 1.3 DC ish on the ornament power, battery pads and board side measurements showed no difference.

#31 6 years ago

so I bought one of these > ebay.com link: itm

My plan is to hook it up after the BR. Good idea or Bad idea?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bimm25i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside