Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CactusJack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Found a game similar to one I grew up on and needed some advice on purchasing. There was very little additional information given to me over the phone regarding the condition of the Mustang game other than it worked after cleaning some contacts, all lights worked, then stopped working after awhile. They are asking 300 and since I have no familiarity with pinball other than playing I was wondering what I may be getting in to. I would like to have this game for my kids and visitors the way my grandparents had one for us. Thought? Just don't want to go buy something on raw emotion without any insight from people familiar with the scene.
Thanks,
Patrick
charlestonwv.craigslist.org link

#2 4 years ago

Looks good for the price. It will take some tinkering to get it working right, but any pinball is going to be that way. At least with an EM, if all the parts are there it WILL work once cleaned and adjusted. It would be a fun little project for you and your kids to work on together. There's more to pinball than just playing...

#3 4 years ago

Welcome Patrick!

Ah the world of pinball. So depends on a few things. How much you are looking to spend, what era of game you are interested in and a theme.

The game linked has issues, I think 300 is far too much, but I'm not big into that era, em, of game. I think it was a fairly common title. If you are not attached to getting that specific game, I would offer lower or wait for something else. $150-200? The cab looks like it is in good shape, but the backglass is faking. Can't tell on the playfield.

Many EM games, or 80's ones can be had for under $1k. The problem you'll run into is, how well it works. If you don't want to get into fixing a game, you'll need to pay for a working one. Problem is, 99% of machines have some crazy issue at some point.

If you are just looking for a random family friendly pin people on this forum could help you get a better deal on one. If you want a specific game, we could also help, but you'll have to wait some time as that title may take a bit to pop up for sale.

All depends on what you are looking for and how much you have to spend. This hobby generally is slightly expensive, but if you can use a worn game or fix one, you can get a decent deal.

#4 4 years ago

That's an electro-mechanical game (aka 'EM'). You might get more feedback in the EM Hangout sub-forum.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks to all. I kind of just stumbled on this machine and wasn't really looking but the price and location intrigued me. I have the knack for tinkering and was looking in to cheap, entry level machine similar to one I grew up on. 300 smackers is my ceiling and I was plannning on offering 200. It appears as if I have 2 votes, 1 each way. Should I take to EM forum for further discussion?

#6 4 years ago

From the tone of the ad, sounds like the guy would probably take $200. If you're feeling handy, it could be a fun project.

#7 4 years ago

Mustang and Bronco are probably Gottlieb's worst offerings of the time. I owned one and couldn't get rid of it fast enough which was a shame since it was immaculate and the art was by my favorite artist. You will have a hard time unloading it when the time comes. Just based on the condition of the backglass (badly flaking), I would consider $200 overly generous. I hate to say it but that example is worth more in parts than as a complete game. If you are not familiar with working on EMs, with all things considered, I would recommend you pass on this one. If it was fully functional, then $300 tops if you were okay with picking up a player condition game for the family.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Kyanite:

Found a game similar to one I grew up on and needed some advice on purchasing. There was very little additional information given to me over the phone regarding the condition of the Mustang game other than it worked after cleaning some contacts, all lights worked, then stopped working after awhile. They are asking 300 and since I have no familiarity with pinball other than playing I was wondering what I may be getting in to. I would like to have this game for my kids and visitors the way my grandparents had one for us. Thought? Just don't want to go buy something on raw emotion without any insight from people familiar with the scene.
Thanks,
Patrick
charlestonwv.craigslist.org link

Luckily I don't live in the area or it would be gone already. Cool game, and even better graphics.

#9 4 years ago

ouch Cactus......wind out of sails............

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Kyanite:

ouch Cactus......wind out of sails............

Just trying to be realistic here. I had never seen or played one until I came across one as a collector. Since I collected EMs, and the artwork was that of Gordon Morison, I couldn't snatch it up fast enough. But once I got to play it, I couldn't believe how boring it was, especially for a Gott. Drop Target game. Clay Harrell of Pinrepair.com ended up doing a mod on it to make the drop targets reset to try to compensate for the lack of things to do on the playfield.

That backglass is really toast. You can see by the amount of small flaking everywhere that you could just blow on it and cause the flakes to drop off. Believe me, I have had backglasses just like that. I am not one to want to look at a bad backglass, especially on a poor game. Its a bit of a shame but the rest of the game looks pretty nice except for the wiped off paint on the lower part of the head. And, it makes me wonder why he didn't offer a picture of the other side of the cabinet. Based on the playfield rubbers, it looks like a game that has sat for the last 20 years or so without proper attention. This could mean there is a lot to do to bring it back to full life. It would probably be pretty hard to find a replacement backglass and you would probably have to pay at least $200 plus shipping to get it. Having $450 or so invested in that game just isn't worth it unless you love working on EMs (which I do).

#11 4 years ago

Understood Cactus. Just got him to drop to 200..... May take on as a beginner project. I know that it's a slower more boring game but just really like the idea of having a sunctional pinball game as fun thing for my kids and visiotr and not hardcore playing. Not sure how concerned I am with the cosmetics either. Because I'm new to all of this...which is the backglass? Does it affect quality of play?b

#12 4 years ago

There is some upside to considering a game like this though:

a) it's a Gottlieb; parts are readily available, so nothing too exotic to deal with.
b) it's not a high-value title, so using it as a learning experience doesn't risk messing up a better game. (Would much rather see someone learn on a title like this than say, a Space Walk, for example.)
c) the entry cost is relatively low, so the 'tuition' for learning is reasonable.
d) since it is a Gottlieb, if a more interesting game comes along, chances are good for having established some knowledge and parts supply to apply towards the next one.
e) at least it's a two-player and not the 4-player counterpart. A bit more complex than a single-player EM, but still a great learning opportunity.

Yes, the backglass has some flaking on it, but it can still be sealed and be functional. As long as the inside is unmolested and relatively complete, won't take much to get it going. Then can learn additional restoration tasks as needed.

Keep the parts cost down, and can still get probably most of your outlay back out of it later.

#13 4 years ago

When it comes down to it. The game worth is all what you are happy with. If $200 feels good to you and you enjoy tinkering on it and playing it with family...then that is fantastic and worth more because you get that family time. I've over paid on games, I've under paid. It all evens out, but in the long run am I hurting because I over paid? no. It all is in the eye of the beholder. Having a game that my friends and family enjoy is worth more to me than a few hundred bucks. Playing alone is pretty boring

#14 4 years ago

I personally think it's a mistake for a newbie to buy a non-working Em unless he had a local buddy who will help him get it working. These are very complicated logic-wise for someone with no experience.

For about $500 and patience you could probably find a nice fully working mustang, or another em game.

#15 4 years ago

Did the same thing when I bought my Top Card. Had a dozen hours in just to get it working. Now it would probably take me an hour or two. There's a tall learning curve on EMs.

#16 4 years ago

Well, I did not heed the advice of the folks who said "bad idea" and made the impulse buy (primarily because $200 was all I can afford at the moment). I guess I'll make a run at the repair job and either way it'll be a learning experience. My next stop is over to the EM forum to begin my journey.

Thanks to all who responded! It's great to know that there are people out there willing to help those of us without a clue.

thanks again,
Patrick

#17 4 years ago

Well, now that you've made this awful mistake I guess we'll have to help you get it running. SO what does it do?

#18 4 years ago

lights come on, if I rotate the number of games to be played off of zero then I can hit reset and sometimes ball gets sent out to plunger. The scores continually try to zero. I shoot the ball and the score continually builds as the 100 pt relay fires nonstop. flippers work (weakly). Once the ball goes through the flippers it won't cycle back out to plunger. The guy who sold it to me said he was able to play the 3 ball game on a regualr bsais last year until the game just stopped.

In my opinion, the quarter reciever works, then I the plunger fires in the back of the machine that supposed to rotate number of games off zero but nothing happens afer the plunger fires. I'm assuming that's where I need to start....? After that it's the problem with the 100 point relay and score zeroing and on and on........

sorry about all of the newbie lingo, just getting up to speed on real parts names.

#19 4 years ago

I did get a link to the start up sequence from another mustang link on this forum and will look in to that to understand things better. need to order a schematic as well. Any books you all reccomend?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Kyanite:

I did get a link to the start up sequence from another mustang link on this forum and will look in to that to understand things better. need to order a schematic as well. Any books you all reccomend?

go to this link..

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

and read it... over and over...

#21 4 years ago

Also, the Late, Great, Russ Jensen wrote a EM Troubleshooting guide. Technically, it is no longer in publication but I believe the family granted Rob Hawkins the right to run reprints as required. They also show up on ebay from time to time.

There are some troubleshooting articles republished here by Rob on his site:

http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russart.html

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 299.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 99.00
Hardware
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 17.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside