pinball 015.JPG
pinball 003.JPG
pinball 012.JPG
pinball 011.JPG
pinball 010.JPG
pinball 009.JPG
pinball 171.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I am posting this on behalf of John...AKA "NoQuarters" He is new to pinball and bought this game last week. Any help you can give him I'm sure would be appreciated!

We have been playing the Stingray and having fun. Yesterday I changed out a bunch of stock bulbs with LED bulbs in the back glass area.

No problem, machine seemed to work fine after doing that.

Then I think I may have messed up though when I tried changing to LED in the Pop Bumpers. I left the power on and proceeded to the pop bumper lights under the plastic 1000 when lit score caps.

The LED flickered in a couple Pop bumpers so I changed them back to stock bulbs. After doing this the ball poppers and ball advance wouldn't work. Targets would not come up either when you turned off and then repowered up the machine. The 1 amp slo blow fuse under the playfield blew. We looked things over and put in another fuse. Seemed to start ok, then got an electrical smell and a small bit of smoke. Turned the machine off and found the left pop bumper was very hot at the coil assembly under the playfield. I'm guessing I burn't out the coil ? Could trying to change the bulb in the pop bumpers do this ? I noticed the light assemblies seemed to move up and down inside the bumpers as I was trying to change them. Could I have shorted something out by messing with the bulbs in the pop bumpers, or cause some kind of spike or something when trying to put LED's in there and they flickerd ? (maybe I should have put the power off changing bulbs in the bumpers? ) I have ordered a replacement coil. I am guessing some how the coil became stuck on or overheated blowing the fuse etc. Anything else I should check or do ? Thanks John

John-

My first recommendation would be to check all the fuses on the power supply/bridge recitifier board. But since you had a smell of smoke that suggests a short and the fuse will just blow again. I think you're on the right track ordering a new coil. I would look for obvious signs of melted wires, etc.

As far as the LED's in the pop bumpers go; I probably wouldn't have changed them with the machine powered on. Occasionally I have done this but it's risky. There is quite a bit of high voltage that isn't disabled on an older game.

It would probably help if you could tell us what type of LED's you were using. It may also help to take a picture of the area. Watch the thread and the forum members can decide what's best. There are people on here with far more experience then I have.

George/Morpheus1975

#2 8 years ago

John

In regard to the flicker issue I found this. Basically it says LED current draw may be too low on certain circuits. They make a special boards to fix this or you need to solder resistors to each socket.

George

The issue is not with ghosting or the inherent flicker in an LED. Rather, on Bally's, the controlling transistors (SCRs--silicon controlled rectifiers specificially) they used require a specific amount of current running in order to stay latched (on). If the current (amp) draw falls below a threshold, the scr turns off, then turns back on, causing a very noticeable and random flicker of the LED.
There are multiple fixes:
1) Use a big enough LED array within a single lamp that causes enough current to be pulled. You'll find that most cheap LED's draw 10 to 20 ma vs the 150 to 250 ma of a #47/#44 incandescent. If you find a LED lamp that has multiple sub-leds that increase amp draw they won't cause the SCR to unlatch. However the side effect will be extra cost and way too bright for the insert, so not doable for most.
2) Cause additional current to be pulled without creating light (or heat) to the level the SCR needs at a minimum. This is as simple as soldering a single, 470 ohm resistor across every single switched lamp socket underneath. A resistor costs 1 to 5 cents each in bulk depending on your source, and just need time to solder. This fix simply 'sinks' some of the power from the +5.9V lamp line to ground through the SCR at the socket making it appear more current than the LED uses is being drawn when the SCR is on. The nice thing is this doesn't prevent you from using an incandescent lamp as the resistance is higher than the lamp, so electricity will follow the least resistance--the lamp. The only bad thing about this is you have about 60 sockets to solder 2 wires to and makes it 'non original'.
3) Buy a new $100+ board that uses newer transistors to not require such high current draw.
I am working on an alternate solution costing much much less than a $100 board or soldering 120+ wires underneath the playfield. I have a prototype completed, tested and working, and am considering offering something up if there is enough interest. It would be completely plug-n-play and not require removal/replacement of any board or soldering or underplayfield access. The cost to fab the boards would be significant so would need to judge demand before I take the plunge LMK if anyone is interested, and I may consider this this summer.
BTW--This only affect switched lamps. GI / Backglass lamps are not affected because they either use mechanical relays in some cases or there are enough lamps on a single SCR to maintain enough current.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this up George.

I looked over the various boards, etc and don't see any signs of burning melting, etc. I didn't notice any other fuses blown either, but I should look again. I put in Comet single LED's #44 style bases. They work fine in the Back glass area.

All was well until I got into the pop bumpers. After we found out the game wasn't advancing a ball, ball poppers were not working, targets stayed down we found the blown 1 amp playfield fuse. Checked the game over and reinstalled a new fuse, start up seemed to go well, targets popped up etc and then I got a whiff of electrical smell and a wisp of smoke. Shut the game off. When we lifted the playfield I found the left pop bumper coil assembly to feel hot - the metal bracket that holds the assembly hot to the touch. Everything else seemed ok - thus my thinking that that coil heated up making that bracket hot. The others were cool to the touch. Nothing else seemed unusual.

( Side Note: ) Only other thing I did see is the assembly in question is missing the end nut stud on the end of the rod assembly on one side under the fiberboard at the plunger area - but I think that happened a long time ago as I found the nut with a little thread in the back end of the head of the machine when I cleaned it out along with miscl burnt out bulbs etc - the service grave yard if you will for the machine. I would guess this has been secure enough and functioning minus the broke nut for along time and not related to my issue, but When I change the coil I wonder if I should put in a new rod assembly and nuts... see second picture, right side missing broke off stud end and nut.

IMG_0374.JPGIMG_0374.JPG

pinballcoilassembly 002.JPGpinballcoilassembly 002.JPG

#4 8 years ago

Took some photos this morning when I did an additional inspection inside the control area in the head. I didn't notice anything unusual to my untrained eye.

pinball 159.JPGpinball 159.JPG pinball 160.JPGpinball 160.JPG pinball 161.JPGpinball 161.JPG pinball 165.JPGpinball 165.JPG pinball 171.JPGpinball 171.JPG
#5 8 years ago

Here are some more shots I just took.

pinball 009.JPGpinball 009.JPG pinball 010.JPGpinball 010.JPG pinball 011.JPGpinball 011.JPG pinball 012.JPGpinball 012.JPG
#6 8 years ago

and pics of the bulbs I put in and the Pop bumper in question from the top side - for reference of position

pinball 003.JPGpinball 003.JPG pinball 015.JPGpinball 015.JPG
#7 8 years ago

Did pulling on the lamp socket make the switch close thus locking the coil on? The sockets are not suppose to move.

#8 8 years ago

Grumpy - the socket ( gray area ) did seem to move up but not any further down than in the picture. The stock incandescent bulbs were put back in. They were in that position for the caps to fit back on. If raised further up the bulb strikes the cap.

The left and upper pop bumpers work in unison. When the bumpers alternate, those two go off and the right lights alone in game play. Only the the left low bumper coil assembly became hot if that helps diagnosis.

#9 8 years ago

First off, what you want to check is how the thumper bumper lamp socket is secured (or not secured). From the factory, the lamp socket lugs are normally bent at a 90 degree angle to the edge of the playfield and then stapled down. After that, they solder the wire to the stapled down lug. Often, when someone had to service the bumper for any reason, they remove the staples and this may have allowed the socket to slide up and down. Which in turn, may have allowed it to touch the metal of the bumper bracket.

It should not have been able to encounter the spoon switch blades. Regardless, the software is "one shot" for the closure of the switch and should have only fired the bumper coil once.

However, it does sound like you have a shorted drive transistor for that bumper and possibly a melted coil (especially if it has a nylon sleeve). Thus the reason the 1 amp solenoid fuse blew (and maybe re-blows). You can unsolder the single wire to the left pop bumper and replace the fuse and see if everything else is okay except for the kicking of that bumper.

Also seeing the original ROMS and possibly the original sockets, I would look into having someone replace the ROM and RAM sockets if you continue to have any odd lock up issues with the game during play.

#10 8 years ago

Ugg. Sorry, I didn't open your first photos. I didn't know Stern used metal mounting plate for their bumpers. So, disregard the staple/wood thing above. It looks like they used a rubber grommet in the metal plate to insulate the lamp socket. Only the solder blob would be there to hold it from moving up and down.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

As to actually using LED's, might I offer up my ready to go solution?
http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

The ones in the back glass work fine. I am going to stay with the stock incandescent lights in the thumper bumpers. I probably messed up trying to put LED's in the Thumpers either by leaving the power on while I did that and/or the sockets moving. Staying with the stock lamps in the thumpers is fine. I'm not rebuilding the game. I just wanted to add a little more light and use cooler bulbs to help preserve the back glass etc.

The ISSUE is figuring out what happened and getting the game up and running again. I suspect the coil may now be bad and am wondering if there is anything else I should look at or check. Is there a way to check the coil before I remove it? I have ordered a replacement for the coil and a new rod and ring assembly since the right stud/nut is broke off.

pinballcoilassembly 004.JPGpinballcoilassembly 004.JPG

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

However, it does sound like you have a shorted drive transistor for that bumper and possibly a melted coil (especially if it has a nylon sleeve). Thus the reason the 1 amp solenoid fuse blew (and maybe re-blows). You can unsolder the single wire to the left pop bumper and replace the fuse and see if everything else is okay except for the kicking of that bumper.

Would I unsolder the orange lead and/or also the second lead also to the coil ? Would I need to do anything else or unsolder anything else at this assembly ? (Of course electrical tape the ends once the ends are unsoldered) - I should be able to see then if the game runs normally, minus the one bumper operating ? Will the game work with one dead bumper - is that ok to do ? Again I'm a newbie so bear with my questions.

Edit Additional: I raised the playfield and checked if the Ring and Rod "pop" or move up and down freely, the effected one does not - it tends to stick , the other two move smoothly. Thus I believe the rod and ring stuck down overheating the coil - I'm thinking I need to change the coil and coil sleeve. I pushed down on the rod and ring and here you can see it stays stuck in the down position viewed from the top of the playfield...

pinballpopperstuck 001.JPGpinballpopperstuck 001.JPG
#14 8 years ago

I pushed the ring assembly back in the up position. I turned the game back on and it started normally, targets came up, ball advance sounded like it was working, ready to play. I let it run for about 1 minute and turned the game off. I raised the playfield and the coil in question was warm to the touch. The other two cool. I now believe I just need to change out the coil in question along with a sleeve and change out the rod and ring assembly for another without a broke stud.

#15 8 years ago

Disconnecting the single wire (not the double) is enough to let you play the game and yes, you can with one dead bumper.

Keep in mind, more than likeky, you managed to short out the drive transistor for that bumper coil (on the solenoid driver / power supply board). So, when you go to replace the coil, if when you power it up it immediately turns on, you will need to change the transistor (TIP121TIP122,TIP102 etc.).

Pay attention to which wires go to the stripe on the diode. When installing the new coil, reattach the wires that came from the stripe to the new lug with the stripe. Dont just transfer the wires based on postion. If you hook it up backwards, the first pop will short the diode which in Turn will short out the TIP102 again.

#16 8 years ago

On the coil, you should be able to test the ohms with a meter and compare the readings to a working coil of same values. Isn't there a diagnostics menu in that game? I'd be looking at those too, specifically the diagnostics for switch/light matrix and solenoids. I think I'd remove one wire from the bad pop bumper coil (or remove the pop bumper fuse if it has one) when running any tests to keep the damage from getting worse. The tests will give you a direction to go to locate the issue. Keep in mind that what you see now may have been caused by something else you see or haven't seen yet. Here are some general possible paths to look at,

Light matrix shorted to switch matrix =
a) blown fuses
b) cooked/shorted control light transistors, or
c) shorted gates in the switch matrix IC's, or
d) burned coil, cooked/shorted driver transistors, or
e) all of the above

Light matrix shorted to coil voltage =
a) blown fuses
b) cooked/shorted control light transistors, or
c) burned coil, cooked/shorted driver transistors, or
d) all of the above

Light matrix shorted to ground =
a) blown fuses
b) cooked/shorted control light transistors
c) all of the above

Steve

#17 8 years ago

@ CactusJack, dead on. If I'd have known you had a post while I was making my long winded post, I wouldn't have posted.

Steve

#18 8 years ago

Do you have an ohm meter, if so then with the game unpluged unsolder the orange wire and measure resistance to ground. If resistance is low, you have a burnt transistor or a shorted wire.

#19 8 years ago

I did disconnect the single orange wire from the coil and capped it with a wire nut . I turned the game on and it appeared to operate correctly other than pop rebound at that location. The light lighted and the yellow skirt did register points - just no propelling off the bumper when it struck the bumper in question. All the other features of the game seem to work. I ran a few balls through and had the game on for about five minutes. I turned it off and detected no other problems, warm components etc. I am hoping that changing the coil, sleeve and changing out the ring and rod assembly will do the trick. Now I will wait for parts to arrive...

pincoildisconnected a.jpgpincoildisconnected a.jpg
#20 8 years ago

I'd definitely replace the coil driving transistor, maybe the pre-transistor too if it has one.
CactusJack gave great advice, blownfuse' list of probables is excellent too.

your post about coil getting hot in up position sure sounds like a burnt transistor to me.

#21 8 years ago

If you only change the coil, it will overheat again! You need to trouble shoot your problem still.

#22 8 years ago

I am really Green and a total NEWBIE on this. It's probably been 40 years since I had some shop class in school with electricity and the first time I have been inside a pinball so you have to bear with me. I should have a multimeter later in the week along with a coil, sleeve and a pop ring.

I do have the wiring diagrams and a brief manual for the game.

The game does have a self test feature. I ran through that once, before I had problems, while I was resetting the high score feature when I got the game, so I could figure out how to do that again if it's any help at this point.

How do identify where/which transistors and can I test them and how ? ( I did post photos of each board earlier in the thread - I can get closer photos of any areas) ( could also snap photos of the wiring diagrams if that helps too )

#23 8 years ago

If you want to send me a PM, I can probably stop by sometime & give you a hand with locating the bad transistors & replacing them. I'm George's brother & also live in Grafton. I can't tell from the schematic what parts the predrivers are (maybe someone can chime in), but I've got some TIP102 which should work fine to replace the SE9302.

#24 8 years ago

Looking at the schematic from the IPDB.org it unfortunately, has the schematics split down the fold and the info you want it split between two pages (pages 29 and 30). On the solenoid driver board (the one with the large metal finned heat sinks) you are apparently looking for Q9 (one of the larger metal tab transistors) Back then, they used all sorts of numbers. Mostly Tip120,Tip121,Tip122 but I have also seen SE9302s. Of course, today's replacement would be a TIP102.

To test, with the game off, remove the connector across the bottom and the one over on the lower left (of the solenoid driver board). With a DVM set to its lowest ohms scale (usually 200 or less), use one of the mounting screws on the edge of the board, or the ground braid down at the bottom of the head for your black lead. Then, with your red lead, take a reading from each silver transistor tab. You should find one that reads almost a dead short or at least a very low ohm value. If you do, that is your shorted transistor and will need to be changed by someone that can handle PCB work without doing more damage. It is also possible that the pre-driver is bad but those are contained in those smaller ICs (CA3081?) on the same board.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

If you want to send me a PM, I can probably stop by sometime & give you a hand with locating the bad transistors & replacing them. I'm George's brother & also live in Grafton. I can't tell from the schematic what parts the predrivers are (maybe someone can chime in), but I've got some TIP102 which should work fine to replace the SE9302.

Thanks VERY much - PM sent.

#26 8 years ago

I did run the self test a few minutes ago.

All good with the exception of solenoid 02, which makes sense, left thumper.
All switches tested OK.

Cactus Jack again thanks for following along with this thread. Greenhorns like myself need all the help they can get !

#27 8 years ago

Here are some close ups of what I think we want to examine .... ( at least I can take decent photos )
First shot should show Q9

boardpics 001.JPGboardpics 001.JPG boardpics 002.JPGboardpics 002.JPG boardpics 003.JPGboardpics 003.JPG boardpics 004.JPGboardpics 004.JPG
#28 8 years ago

You can even see that little solder sweat bead alone the top seam (Q9) That often happens when the transistor overheats or shorts out.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

You can even see that little solder sweat bead alone the top seam (Q9) That often happens when the transistor overheats or shorts out.

Good Eye - I see it now that you point it out. When you enlarge the picture I can see the little bead. Thanks for the lesson. Visual stuff I can grasp.

#30 8 years ago

On my T3 the diode on the shooter coil went and it took out the transistor and fried the coil. So I think it took out your transistor too.

#31 8 years ago

boustrophedonic came by and gave this Greenhorn a Big assist and changed out the transistor at Q9 for me. He had the board out and on the operating table lickity split , performed surgery and transplanted in a new transistor. Board went back in in short order.
THANKS FRED !

Hopefully I will have the parts I ordered later this week and will give a whirl at changing the coil, sleeve and rod and ring assembly.

( I also ordered a couple spare predrivers a few minutes ago in case those happen to be needed or fail at a later date.... also ordered some spare transistors )

changed transistor Q 9.JPGchanged transistor Q 9.JPG

#32 8 years ago

I forgot. Bally used to tell their operators that you could use one of the Bell Chime coils as a spare to get your game back up when on route. I can't remember if Stern also used the same 27-1000 coils on their bells or not.

The long bell on a Bally was only used for one note on the start up tune so it typically wasn't missed by anyone.

#33 8 years ago

good deal NoQuarters, awesome boustrophedonic got your board ready for the new coil.

#34 8 years ago

Stingray is now back up and Running !

Parts came today so the coil got changed. The old one's sleeve was apparently melted some and that is why the pop ring was sticking. So didn't have to change the ring. My son gave me a hand and we got the coil changed out successfully.

Coil and transistor appeared to have done the trick. Thanks all for helping with the diagnosis. And a special thanks to Fred for the house call and changing that transistor !

Now to play the game again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-leds-cooked-my-stingray and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.