New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 263977)

Please help, how would you fix this?

By Johncare07

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A497B159-B051-4CD4-AB87-EDE1A4645EC7 (resized).jpeg
    everbilt-corner-braces-15304-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    13C4064E-EB02-431C-A63A-CBA245AB9031 (resized).jpeg

#1 8 months ago

What approach would you take for getting this back on and secured? Thanks for any help. John

13C4064E-EB02-431C-A63A-CBA245AB9031 (resized).jpeg
    #2 8 months ago

Happened to one of mine as well, following!

#3 8 months ago

If it were me, I would probably reach out to a local welding shop.

I have a MIG welder, but wouldn't try myself. I'm a novice, and I wouldn't want to make a bigger mess.

If welding is a no-go, I would get a small L-bracket.everbilt-corner-braces-15304-64_1000 (resized).jpg

I'd hold it up to the area with the broken tab to confirm - if this were fastened with rivets, would the ball contact the rivet head? If it looked OK I would drill two holes that line up with the L bracket, and fasten with tubular rivets.

#4 8 months ago

Maybe use an offset post. Drill thru existing hole in playfield, and then drill & rivet to side of ramp/guide. (mount the screw in the playfield first, and then mark the drill spot height on the metal guide) (drilling thru that stainless steel might be a bit tricky?)

https://www.pinballlife.com/spade-bolt-offset.html

#5 8 months ago

Had that happen on a old stern game, I just soldered mine back together still holding.

#6 8 months ago

spot welding?

#7 8 months ago

I would carbon arc weld it using a Kikasui power supply and a piece of graphite (pencil lead) for a welding rod, just a tap or two to set it then pool across the face, fill it in with solder, or you can try JB weld...

On the other hand, re-fab it using this one as a guide.

#8 8 months ago

Local welding shop.

#9 8 months ago

I’m told welding is too hot and would ruin it?

#10 8 months ago

It can be welded my local welding shop has repaired several brackets for me

#11 8 months ago

You need some material to make a bracket. I really cannot help you there. I would head to the hardware store and look for some steel strap. The bracket shown above will work but I would prefer it if it was blank so I could drill my own hole.

After I have the bracket solved, I would bond the replacement on the backside with some JB Weld. I would drill my own hole, fill the hole in the play field with some wood dowel, install the guide and drill a new hole in the play field.

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from pintime:

It can be welded my local welding shop has repaired several brackets for me

I like your welding idea, but the last time I asked a weld shop to do a small job the welder told me he got $55.00 just to turn his welder on.

#13 8 months ago

Make your own bracket and pop rivet it on. Just be sure to put the rivet in a place that the ball can't touch it, so towards the bottom of the rail would be the best.

John

#14 8 months ago

I’d have a friend or a local welder weld it back.

#15 8 months ago

Unless it’s some really weird material like pot metal, (Relax, I know it’s not) it can certainly be welded. That said, you are going to want to find a welding shop or friend with a TIG welder instead of a MIG welder. The heat with a MIG machine is too high and spread out. It’s not easily controlled. It creates a lot of warpage. A TIG concentrates the heat in a smaller space and a smaller bead (the actual weld itself) can be achieved.

#17 8 months ago

A local shop that has a Tig welder is your best option.
    -Mike

#18 8 months ago

weld it

#19 8 months ago
    Quoted from Deezer5150:

Unless it’s some really weird material like pot metal, (Relax, I know it’s not) it can certainly be welded. That said, you are going to want to find a welding shop or friend with a TIG welder instead of a MIG welder. The heat with a MIG machine is too high and spread out. It’s not easily controlled. It creates a lot of warpage. A TIG concentrates the heat in a smaller space and a smaller bead (the actual weld itself) can be achieved.

I use MIG all the time to weld stuff like that, takes a light touch though. MIG is very common for use on light sheet metal in the auto industry which is far more prone to warping then a ramp.

#20 8 months ago

It is pretty small to weld. Some 2 part epoxy's are super strong and should hold up for you. Or you could make a new tab that has a 90 bend and then epoxy the extra tab on the back side of the rail.

#21 8 months ago

Any welder worth their salt can do it easy. My father in law as done lots of ball guide tab repairs for me.

#22 8 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I like your welding idea, but the last time I asked a weld shop to do a small job the welder told me he got $55.00 just to turn his welder on.

That's when you laugh and walk back out.

Walk in someplace else with a 12 pack of Bud.

I needed a bushing pressed out once, walked into the local shop on a saturday morning with a dozen doughnuts. Boom.

#23 8 months ago

college or high school shop teachers like this kind of stuff to teach how to 'real world' weld things up. If your local shops are not helpful.
    Cheers

#24 8 months ago

About ten seconds with a tig welder. Had a buddy repair my WW scoop.

#25 8 months ago

tig is so nice! welding jewelry lol

#26 8 months ago

If you're not into welding, I'd consider just getting a longer screw and stack some washers that are the same distance from the guide. The screw is there to resist back pressure from the ball, so just find a way to renew that pressure with something you screw down. Easy peasy. I did this with my IMDN to keep my launch ball guide from moving over time.

#27 8 months ago

there really only is two choices , weld it or get a new one , anything else will look like crap

#28 8 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

there really only is two choices , weld it or get a new one , anything else will look like crap

If it's behind the ball guide and under a plastic (which I'm not sure of, but most of these screws are out of sight) how is it going to look like crap?

#29 8 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I use MIG all the time to weld stuff like that, takes a light touch though. MIG is very common for use on light sheet metal in the auto industry which is far more prone to warping then a ramp.

I agree. MiG is very common in the auto industry. Usually with a wire size of .023 or .030. That said an auto body shop could probably handle it. Personally I could do it with a MIG, it isn’t that difficult. Most welding shops, at least the ones around where I live, only have .035 or .045 and aren’t super familiar with light gauge metal. Not to many of them have smaller wire due to the fact that they don't do a lot of sheet metal fab. Mostly fences and trailer hitches.

#30 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

If it's behind the ball guide and under a plastic (which I'm not sure of, but most of these screws are out of sight) how is it going to look like crap?your right

your right it will be hidden

#31 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

If it's behind the ball guide and under a plastic (which I'm not sure of, but most of these screws are out of sight) how is it going to look like crap?

Agreed. I have a screw and a mini-post rubber behind one of mine.

#32 8 months ago

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who helped out. I took it to a welded and he tack welded it. $10. Boom.

A497B159-B051-4CD4-AB87-EDE1A4645EC7 (resized).jpeg
    #33 8 months ago

Thanks for posting the outcome.

#34 8 months ago

well done .

#35 8 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for posting the outcome.

Actually, you should probably see if he can weld a small piece of rod or a piece of square block over that weld. What you do have will probably break again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 16.50
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside