IMG-20130801-01580.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
power_cord_mockup.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

Yeah that's a project. Hopefully you got it for a good price and mice weren't living in it (they love chewing wires.)

There's no way that machine will work until you repair/replace the power supply. You need new caps and probably new diodes on the 5v line (since the fuse looks blown.) I assume you have good soldering skills and a good iron. You'll be needing them! Good luck!

viperrwk

#32 10 years ago

For mobile devices that can't handle the Flash home page, just point your browser to http://firepowerpinball.com/downloads

This gives you the index of all the jpgs and PDFs you can download and view on your mobile device. Sucks the homepage uses Flash but at least you can get around it.

viperrwk

#41 10 years ago

Hans doesn't have any of these cuurrently - http://www.siegecraft.us/pinball/firepoweradapter.htm - but if he did I would pull all the ROMs, cut all those jumper wires off the CPU board and install this. Perhaps he has an ETA on when he'll have more.

Your 40 pin also must be replaced as there are some bad pins there.

And you really should do power first as without good power it won't matter if the rest of the boards are working or not.

viperrwk

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Bay Area Amusements / Planetary Pinball should still have some of the adapters in stock.
But I am strongly considering another run in the near future for my own inventroy, even though I haven't quite figured out that rare comparability issue yet with early revision -6 boards
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-SYS346A-ADAPT

Weirdly Planetary has it but not BAA:

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-SYS346A-ADAPT

As Pat says if it works after fixing the PS, 40 pin and driver board you can leave the existing ROMs but if it doesn't, I wouldn't bother swapping out all the ROMs/sockets. Hans' solution will cost only slightly more and is much less work and you'll be less likely to create more problems.

viperrwk

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Open concerns noted from previous replies ( SW1 command enter and SW2 diagnostic start look burned up) ... Can I get replacements.. SHould I leave alone??? any thoughts???

As suggested, until you prove they don't work, clean 'em up and leave them.

Ed@GPE, has the replacement switches:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=39-261&sprice=&stype=&scat=

If you ordered from him and he hasn't shipped yet, you can email him and ask him to add switches if you are concerned about them.

viperrwk

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Ahhhh young padawan you have discovered why it is unwise to remove parts before having replacements in hand.

Can he tell that to the guy he bought the machine from?

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=991259&bbat=116551&inline&fullsize

viperrwk

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Replacement WMS system 6 eprom adapter board w/single eprom from planetary pinball????
Thanks
Dan

Yes. The time, cost and effort to fix it with new sockets and a new combo ROM is close to the cost of Hans' solution.

As long as when you broke it off nothing shorted on the bus this should fix your problem since it was booting ok.

viperrwk

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

ideas on where to go from here...

This next...

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Then that means the ram you store user setting in is probably bad. You'll have to replace the 'oops' as viper stated and then see if that fixes the new problem, if not you're probably looking at a 5101 chip.

viperrwk

#129 10 years ago

The "monster" lamps are 89 flash lamps.

You can use either 44 or 47s for the rest for the lamps - whatever you have on hand.

viperrwk

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

So my 1000 bonus light does not work... it looks like lights 1000 - 1000 all have wires that come to them and then a small ??? (diode or resistor???) Does any one know what these are... My 1000 bonus is missing one and I assume this is why it does not work.
Also, Same thing for the 89 bulbs. If i put the two 89 bulbs in the FIRE and POWER will stay lit up the whole time you play. I put a burnt out 89 bulb back in and now the other two 47 lights will light up only when you activate either FIRE or POWER(Believe that is how it is suppose to work?)
Anyone know... Is the an underneath playfield drawing somewhere?
Thanks
Dan

It's a diode. You'll need that for the lamp to light properly and not cause problems with the other lamps. You can pick it up at RS - 1n4004.

If the 89 bulbs are lit all the time either you have a bad solenoid transistor at Q43 on the driver board or the resistor board under the playfield is somehow shorted. I'll have to see if I can find a pic for you.

viperrwk

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Also, question viperrwk... How was i suppose to know that diode was a 1n4004... These are obviously old and i could not make anything out on them but is there a drawing or general part list for Williams where I could have found this out myself? Or is this one of those general things you pick up over time? Dan

Go back to second post in this thread. The links there should be your bible. No diode on the flash lamps - just the resistor board under the playfield.

As for parts listings, bookmark this page as well:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1980/index.html

Some of this stuff will become second nature to you over time.

viperrwk

#146 10 years ago

No diodes on the flashlamps.

The big resistor on that board is a 330 ohm 2 watt. Looks shot. Replace with a 5 watt equivalent. Or if you install LED flashlamps just cut it off. That is the warming resistor. The small resistor is 1 ohm 1/2 watt.

viperrwk

#147 10 years ago

My tip for bulbs. Pull them all in a small parts container and run them through the dishwasher gentle cycle air dry. Take them out dry them immediately and inspect. Any lamps with blackened or mirrored glass toss out. Then give each 44/47 a gentle twist. Any where the glass turns separate from the base toss out. Lastly check the remaining bulbs with a meter. Any that fail a continuity test throw out. What you will have left are the bulbs you want in the machine and they will shine like new. Right as you go to reinstall use qtips to clean inside every insert. On a machine like FP this process will make it look better than just putting in LEDs. And you may want to run the bulbs in the dishwasher when the wife/SO is not around.

viperrwk

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Any recommendation where I should buy a new/refurbish master display board....dan

Post a WTB thread and see what you get. I'm sure with everyone who replaced theirs with LED displays that someone has one they would sell you.

viperrwk

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

It looks like I will need to replace the TIP120 at Q43 to get these flash lamps working correctly. Also I haves new problem, the left slingshot is not working... could use a little advice...this the tip120 at Q12 ???
Thanks
Dan

If you replace driver transistors you should use a TIP102.

Yes Q12 controls the left kicker. Check the coil and make sure it isn't the culprit. Check resistance across the coil lugs, check the wires and diode at the coil, check for voltage at the coil, ground the non-banded coil lug to make sure it fires. If all that checks out ground the metal tab at Q12. If it doesn't fire then, replace the driver transistor.

viperrwk

#157 10 years ago

Why this isn't in Vid's Sys 3-7 guide I don't know. But he does mention replacing TIP120s with TIP102s in his Bally driver board guide:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing#post-592747

Anyway, the TIP102 is a more robust replacement for a TIP120. A TIP120/122 can handle 5 amps continuous - a TIP102 can handle 8 amps continuous. Bigger safety margin/no difference in price between a TIP122 and a TIP102. Common best practice when replacing. Buy lots of TIP102s. Don't bother with 120/122.

viperrwk

#162 10 years ago

And check the resistor/capacitor network on the sling switch as well. They are known to come loose/short from vibration.

viperrwk

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Arghhh..been out of town.. gpe order arrived ...replaced q12 and q43... left slingshot now works.. yes!!!... but flash lamps still permanently stay on.... new ideas anyone???

What happened to the resistor on the flash lamp board?

viperrwk

#170 10 years ago

If the flash lamps are locked on and Q43 is good, next check the predriver at Q42 and then the 7408 at IC4 on the driver board (assuming of course the resistor board is wired correctly, the resistors are good and there are no wiring problems.)

viperrwk

1 month later
#182 10 years ago

What happens when you enter diagnostics - specifically after the lamp test? Does it lock on or is it ok? Also, have you checked the resistor/capacitor on the leaf switch for the sling? It could be shorting somewhere causing the lock? What's the coil resistance? Eliminate possibilities at the coil itself first before taking the soldering iron to the board.

viperrwk

#184 10 years ago

Could also be coil diode - clip and check if you don't have a spare or just replace it if you do.

If diode and coil are good, and switches are good, next thing on the driver board after the driver trans, pre-driver and 7402 is the PIA at IC5. You also have to suspect 40 pin. Test ROM and logic probe would be good to have here to keep you from pulling the PIA unless you have to.

viperrwk

3 weeks later
#200 10 years ago

Since you replaced the 7408, it's either the 4.7K pullup resistor, or more likely the playfield switch, specifically the RC network on it. Common point of failure.

viperrwk

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

So I looked at time warp...no resistor or capacitor on switch...

Apologies - I forgot that Time Warp is different and that the slings are CPU controlled and not special solenoids.

The only thing in the circuit you haven't touched is the PIA (assuming you did Q29, Q28 and IC2) but since it works in test, I have to agree with Andrew - you probably have a connector issue somewhere, though I would have thought if you did perhaps you'd have some difficulty in test as well.

Quoted from danczaz:

But....there is at least one that seems to being played at wrong time... I keep hearing the tilt sound all the time when I hit random things on playfield.

The only comment I can make about this without going back through this thread to see everything you've done is that when I had FP, it had a 2732 in IC14 without the pullup resistor mod. On occasion it would play the wrong sounds during a game. When I finally added the pullup mod to the 2732 it always played the correct sounds.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-firepower-boards?tu=viperrwk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.