IMG-20130801-01580.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
power_cord_mockup.JPG
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Any recommendation where I should buy a new/refurbish master display board....dan

Post a WTB thread and see what you get. I'm sure with everyone who replaced theirs with LED displays that someone has one they would sell you.

viperrwk

#152 10 years ago

Can you tell what is burned? If you're intending to get rid of it I might be interested, looks like I need a new master display for my Firepower too

#153 10 years ago

I will show you some better photos than what is hown above when I get a chance...

#154 10 years ago

It looks like I will need to replace the TIP120 at Q43 to get these flash lamps working correctly. Also I haves new problem, the left slingshot is not working... could use a little advice...this the tip120 at Q12 ???
Thanks
Dan

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

It looks like I will need to replace the TIP120 at Q43 to get these flash lamps working correctly. Also I haves new problem, the left slingshot is not working... could use a little advice...this the tip120 at Q12 ???
Thanks
Dan

If you replace driver transistors you should use a TIP102.

Yes Q12 controls the left kicker. Check the coil and make sure it isn't the culprit. Check resistance across the coil lugs, check the wires and diode at the coil, check for voltage at the coil, ground the non-banded coil lug to make sure it fires. If all that checks out ground the metal tab at Q12. If it doesn't fire then, replace the driver transistor.

viperrwk

#156 10 years ago

Viperwk.. why TIP102? I only ask b/c the drawing said TIP120 and the firepower drawings on firepower.com said TIP122... I placed and order last night with GPE.... should I have him add TIP102? I ordered a few both TIP120 and TIP 122 so I had some home inventory... Thanks Dan

#157 10 years ago

Why this isn't in Vid's Sys 3-7 guide I don't know. But he does mention replacing TIP120s with TIP102s in his Bally driver board guide:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing#post-592747

Anyway, the TIP102 is a more robust replacement for a TIP120. A TIP120/122 can handle 5 amps continuous - a TIP102 can handle 8 amps continuous. Bigger safety margin/no difference in price between a TIP122 and a TIP102. Common best practice when replacing. Buy lots of TIP102s. Don't bother with 120/122.

viperrwk

#159 10 years ago

As viper says, TIP102 is equivalent but better.

#160 10 years ago

Hello....

I checked the resistance across coil and it is ok.. it will fire in solenoid test diagnostic mode.. if you manually move it, it will score... switches don't work in switch diagnostic... how should I test this... do i even need to replace q12???

Thanks
Dan

#161 10 years ago

The sling switches won't show up in switch test, as they are not part of the switch matrix (only the scoring switch is). The special solenoids are controlled separately by 7408s at IC6 and IC7. Since it works in solenoid test the drivers are fine and either the 7408 controlling it is bad or (more likely imo) a switch wire is not making a good connection (fell off, etc)

#162 10 years ago

And check the resistor/capacitor network on the sling switch as well. They are known to come loose/short from vibration.

viperrwk

#163 10 years ago

Thanks guys... ill figure this out.

#164 10 years ago

Arghhh..been out of town.. gpe order arrived ...replaced q12 and q43... left slingshot now works.. yes!!!... but flash lamps still permanently stay on.... new ideas anyone???

#165 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Arghhh..been out of town.. gpe order arrived ...replaced q12 and q43... left slingshot now works.. yes!!!... but flash lamps still permanently stay on.... new ideas anyone???

What happened to the resistor on the flash lamp board?

viperrwk

#166 10 years ago

Replaced that big fat one that was burned out

#167 10 years ago

And now the left slingshot doesn't work again... that was fun while it lasted....geezzzzzzz...back to does anyone have any ideas

#168 10 years ago

Ummm nevermind bout slingshot..long week. Forgot we determined I did not need to replace q43.. we have an intermittent contact somewhere.. ran solenoid test (then I remembered) and now its working again and so no idea what was wrong. Illwait for it to stop working again and then figure it out...still need help on flash lamps though...

#169 10 years ago

I meant q12 in above post...

#170 10 years ago

If the flash lamps are locked on and Q43 is good, next check the predriver at Q42 and then the 7408 at IC4 on the driver board (assuming of course the resistor board is wired correctly, the resistors are good and there are no wiring problems.)

viperrwk

#171 10 years ago

Here is a photo of resistor board...look ok?? Not sure what was going on with that left slingshot but game got about an hour of play today and no problems...only problem left to solve is the flash lamps...and the big news is firepower has graduated from garage status to house status! Thanks again everybody for all their help! Game is really playing great!! Donation will be made to pinside!
Thanks,
Dan

IMG-20130817-01666.jpgIMG-20130817-01666.jpg

1 month later
#173 10 years ago

Need help again on left slingshot..stopped working..played with wires going to leaf switches and started working (thought I had a loose wire). Resoldered wires to switch and now solenoid stays on as soon as you start a game.. unsoldered wires..didn't connect to switch and same problem when start game. Replaced the tip120 (again) at q12 and q11the 2n4401.. no luck..pulled the 7402 at ic9 and replaced/socketed... no luck... not sure where to go from here.....dan

#174 10 years ago

have you removed the rubber?

#175 10 years ago

Rubber that holds two leaf switches on playfield? They are not stuck closed.

#176 10 years ago

Not totally clear. Did you say that even with the wires off the slingshot switches, the coil still fires?

#177 10 years ago

Wires are off one slingshot switch. That is the one I messed with originally...

#178 10 years ago

Depends on which switch the wires are off of. They are usually in parallel on those switches. Easy to test by making sure that both switches are out of the circuit. Then start a game and see if the coil comes on.

You did say that the coil pops on as soon as you start a game. Not when you power the game on. Right?

#179 10 years ago

Coil pops as soon as I start game...ok when power on.. what are you suggesting I do? One switch has two wires in one hole and three in other hole. One of each of these wires go to other switch. I have the two wires on one hole unsoldered.

#180 10 years ago

If it comes on as soon as you power the game up, then it is a board problem. If you replaced the driving transistor, it could be something further up the line on the board. This is where I don't have the experience to be much help. Hopefully viperrwk and others will be able to chime in with more help on this.

#181 10 years ago

Still need some help BUMP...thanks

#182 10 years ago

What happens when you enter diagnostics - specifically after the lamp test? Does it lock on or is it ok? Also, have you checked the resistor/capacitor on the leaf switch for the sling? It could be shorting somewhere causing the lock? What's the coil resistance? Eliminate possibilities at the coil itself first before taking the soldering iron to the board.

viperrwk

#183 10 years ago

When I enter diagnostics and go to the solenoid tests as soon as it goes from lamp test to solenoid test the solenoid for left slingshot pops on and stays on. The resistor / capacitor "look great" on leaf switch but I have not checked anything with a DMM. Have not checked coil resisitance but I did this a month or two ago and it was OK.

#184 10 years ago

Could also be coil diode - clip and check if you don't have a spare or just replace it if you do.

If diode and coil are good, and switches are good, next thing on the driver board after the driver trans, pre-driver and 7402 is the PIA at IC5. You also have to suspect 40 pin. Test ROM and logic probe would be good to have here to keep you from pulling the PIA unless you have to.

viperrwk

#185 10 years ago

I'll check some things out tonight when I get home and let you know what I find out..Dan

#186 10 years ago

Coil good..diode good...pulling a driver board from another game...lets see what happens...

#187 10 years ago

Good luck. I hope it works out. I always get nervous when messing with those 40 pin interconnect.

#188 10 years ago

So she plays great with the flash driver board! Arghhhh..love the flash I bought. Everything socketed on driver board. Somebody before me and previous owner took pride in that game. If only they all were like that..so the pia ic5 is what I need...looking at GPE and don't see it. Could someone point me in right direction...mc6820 pi
Thanks
Dan

#189 10 years ago

Arcade chips have 68B21 which will do the job.

http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=145

6821 and 6820 are interchangeable for this application.

Andy

#190 10 years ago

Thanks Andy... I didnt relaize that 6821 and 6820 were interchangeable...Of course I have 6821 laying around from my space shuttle but no socket...socket ordered...patience and do it right... Dan

#191 10 years ago

Just a quick socket tip:

Always get the SIP sockets:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/sockets/sip-sockets/30-pin-dip-sip-ic-sockets-adaptor-solder-type.html

You just snap them to any length you want (they come in 40 pin lengths).

This way you ALWAYS have the correct socket on hand for any repair. No need to have 4, 6, 8,14,16, 20 pin sockets in your part drawers.

The ones from Tayda above I've used 1000s of times and never had a bad cell.

You can solder them from the top side of the board too - great when someone's previous "repair" has ruined the through-holes.

#192 10 years ago

Gonna get these in stock in my parts box...thanks Vid!

2 weeks later
#193 10 years ago

We'll that sucked...replaced pia at ic5 and sling shot is still firing....

#194 10 years ago

If the sling is firing when you get into solenoid test mode, there's a couple possibilities, IC 5 likely wouldn't be it. This one is going active when the solenoid activation signal from IC5 turns on, so the PIA is pretty much working fine. This also rules out Q12, as a stuck transistor wouldn't care which mode the game was in, it would fire as soon as you powered up the machine.

#1 possibility is just a switch adjustment at the sling or something goofy in the wiring. Easy enough to check. On the left side of your driver board, pull the connector closest to the top. This will disconnect the special solenoid switches. If the pop bumper de-powers, it's wiring. If it stays active, it's driver board.

#2 is the driver board. Could be either IC7 or IC9, with an off chance of being R6 or C6 but I rarely see them fail. In audit mode, I'd check the logic states at IC7 pins 8,9,10 and IC9 pins 11,12,13

#3 I's also very unlikely, but ST6 that fires that particular special solenoid actually comes across from the CPU board PIA chip IC18 through pin26 of the interboard connector. Check the logic state at that pin too.

I have too much of a headache right now to dig up all the 74xx logic states to figure it all out, but those are your primary suspects in this situation.

-Hans

#195 10 years ago

Hans.... never replaced the 7408 at ic7... probably should have done first before pia...also remember that we swapped out driver boards and everything worked fine so we'll try 7408 next. Thanks dan

#196 10 years ago

And 7408 at ic7 it is!!! Were back up and running!!!

#197 10 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

And 7408 at ic7 it is!!! Were back up and running!!!

Congrats on the repair!

#198 10 years ago

The PIA rarely goes on a solenoid short.

Here is a great tip. You can find bad TTL logic ICs easily and quickly with a DMM. Power off. DMM on diode test. Red lead on ground, black lead on suspect 7408/7402 outputs or inputs for that matter. You should get a reading over .4 or so. Anything below .3 or .2 and that IC is dead. This works 90% of the time on sys 3-7 driver boards.

If i replace a dead solenoid driver transistor I always check the predriver and 7402 / 7408 ICs as well.

Andrew

#199 10 years ago

So question for you.. my time warp just started to have left slingshot go out (Of course when every game was finally working).. It maybe works 1 out of 15 times right now... If i put it in switch test or solenoid test eveything works great,, switches work every time in switch test and it pops fine in solenoid test.. figured same issue as FP so last night I pop out pre-driver and driver (no luck) and then I replace / socket 7408 and still no luck... ideas? Havent tried to swap driver boards yet...

#200 10 years ago

Since you replaced the 7408, it's either the 4.7K pullup resistor, or more likely the playfield switch, specifically the RC network on it. Common point of failure.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-firepower-boards/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.