View topic image gallery

J6.jpg
board_installed.jpg
resistors_replaced.jpg
new_resistors.jpg
bad_resistors.jpg
Untitled.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I'm pretty much a noob still, especially with this machine, but I cannot figure out why the 2 flashers under the PF for the Man in the Moon and the 3 in the BB for the Wolfman are not working... I ran a solenoid test and these 5 flashers are out. Is there a fuse or connector issue that I should be looking at to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

#2 8 years ago

From the manual looks like Q31 is common to both of those sets of flashers, and the eject hole. If the eject hole is not working, suspect problem with Q31. If the eject hole is working, then Q31 is ok. Check for 5J1-4 pin connector disconnect. Check for wire disconnect or problems with gry-grn or blk-grn wire color.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Thanks, the Eject hole is working and I've traced the wire to the Aux Pwr Supply Board J1 pin 4... I don't know, if there could be a break in the line somewhere or if it connects to another board. I'll keep looking but I'm still trying to get the hang of this stuff. I'll report back with any other info, thanks again.

#4 8 years ago

Seeing as how your eject hole works, it's nothing to do with J1p4. If it were anything on that connector, that solenoid wouldn't work.

I would use a voltmeter to check for voltage at the origin of the Blk/Grn wire, the sockets of the flashlamps, and at both sides of D38. In DC Volts mode, put red lead at each of those points, with black lead attached to grounding braid somewhere else in the game.

Put the game in diagnostic mode, in the flasher test, on solenoid 5C. Power is coming in at each of those points and the machine is periodically supplying ground to them to complete the circuit and make them flash. Therefore, you should see DC voltage at each of those points that periodically falls to 0V. You'll be able to narrow down where the break is by seeing where you stop seeing voltage.

#5 8 years ago

Ok, sounds like a good plan. Thank you!

#6 8 years ago

I know I'm fairly stupid when it comes the electrical part of the machines but this makes no sense to me... when I'm in test mode there seems to be current to all of these sockets, unless I'm not doing something in the test correctly. Even tracing the wires back to the pins there's current there too but I'm not sure how that's possible. I'll try it again, sorry for being too brain dead to understand what's going on here.

#7 8 years ago

Current? You probably mean voltage. There's a difference, and it sounds like you might be in need of some basic electronics education first.

As far as the game goes, yes, the solenoids do always have VOLTAGE supplied to them all the time. When the solenoid is triggered either in the game or in the diagnostic test, a transistor acts as a switch to complete the circuit path to ground (then CURRENT begins to flow) and this is what operates the solenoid coil or flasher. Does this make sense?

#8 8 years ago

Ha ha, yes, there is no doubt that I need more knowledge of electronics and I appreciate your explanation.

I was running more tests and noticed that the right side graveyard solenoid is not working either, I see that it's traced back to the 5J11-9. Should I be looking at the aux power driver board itself for the cause?

I suppose the good news is that everything else on the game works perfectly fine and these problems only impact a few flashers... but it's driving me nuts and I'd like to learn how to fix problems like this!

I'll keep reading and in the meantime, thanks again for your help and understanding.

#9 8 years ago

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html
3. When Things Don't Work:
B. Checking Transistors/Coils (locked on coils)
see section "A Coil doesn't Work, What To Do"

#10 8 years ago

Oh, wow, very nice thank you!

#11 8 years ago

Your welcome. Give it a go, lots of info there to digest. Then if you still are stuck, post back and we'll see if we can help. Good luck!

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

Well... I've tried and failed but in my search I found this...

Also, there are at least three documented cases of a faulty resistor controlling Solenoid 5C, which are the flashers for the Man in the Moon (center of the playfield) and the Wolfman (on the backglass, to the left of Elvira). Finding it hard to believe this is a pure coincidence, we believe the original factory installed resistors were either part of a bad run, or were possibly insufficiently rated. I replaced mine, located at position "R5" on the backbox interconnect board, with a 5 ohm, 5 watt wirewound resistor, and it appears to work just fine

#13 8 years ago

Well, I did an Ohm test and it seems like the R5 and R9 seem to be bad on the interconnect board. I've never swapped out a resistor before but I guess it's worth a try.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Well, I did an Ohm test and it seems like the R5 and R9 seem to be bad on the interconnect board. I've never swapped out a resistor before but I guess it's worth a try.

Ok...seems you might be onto something. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#15 8 years ago

Well, this is now fixed, these resistors were bad... only thing now is all the lights in the back box are not working, except the flashers and the random bonus lights. Ugh, not sure what I could have done

First picture of bad resistors marked with red sharpie

Second picture new resistors bought from Mouser Electronics

Third picture resistors installed on Interconnect Board

bad_resistors.jpgbad_resistors.jpg

new_resistors.jpgnew_resistors.jpg

resistors_replaced.jpgresistors_replaced.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Solved: The J6 wire and molex connecter were damaged, you can see the wire is exposed where it was burnt so I'll have to repair that later. I rebuilt the entire J6 IDC 9 pin connector and the pins and board are ok, now all lights are now working...

J7 will need to be rebuilt too as the plastic is damaged but again, the board and pins are all ok.

Interconnect Board installed back into the game.

Thank you all for the help!

board_installed.jpgboard_installed.jpg

J6.jpgJ6.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-eatpm-man-in-the-moon-and-wolfman-solenoid-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.