image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
untitled_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I recently picked up a high speed. I was told it had power supply issues. When I turn the game on the gi turns on but that's it. No display i can't get into any diagnostics. The 5v led indicator light on the cpu board is lit does nothjng when the sw2 for diagnostics button is pushed. I took some power readings
Power supply
3J5 pin 3 -100v dc
Pin 4 +100v dc
3j6 pin 2 -14.6
Pin 6 12.7
Pin 7 4.9
Pin 8. 4.9
Pin 9. 4.9

Cpu board
1j17 pin 4 4.8
Pin 5. 4.8
Pin 6. 4.8
Pin 8. -14.5
Pin 9. 12.6

Any help is appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Power looks o.k. at those points, but are you measuring just at the connectors? (In other words, is the power really getting from the connector IJ17 to the MPU?) Check the +5VDC test pint on the MPU, and with the game off ohm out the ground from the board. Perhaps those might reveal that the connector IJ17 needs repinned.

#3 7 years ago

Thanx for ur reply. Yes I was just testing at the connectors. Where would I test the 5v at the mpu(where to place my leeds) and testing the ground. Do I just put one leed to a ground screw then the other to the ground at the male pin grounds at 1j17?

#4 7 years ago

The +5VDC test point is located near the right of the MPU sound ROMs and the ground test point is located near the left side of the battery holder. Put your positive (red) lead on +5VDC test point and negative (black) lead on the ground test point for a more accurate indication of the power on the board. To check the integrity of the ground you can simply measure continuity from the MPU ground test point to the power supply board's ground plane (the copper around where it is is attached with a screw) and to the back panel metal.

#5 7 years ago

K thanx for the detailed instruction. Will check later tonight and reply

#6 7 years ago

The 5v test point reads 4.8v. I checked the ground test point to the back box and its grounded. I first forgot to shut the power off and tested continuity to the only two copper points on the power supply board. The one on the left has continuity the one on the right does not? When I turn the power off and
Check with ohms. The one on the right starts with a reading in the negative and keeps climbing. The one on the right starts off in the positive and keeps climbing? Hope those r the two copper points u were speaking of?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

Not sure what you are saying. The ground planes are these metal areas that the arrow is pointing two - which have the board mounting screws that go through them, and should be all making good contact. Regardless, you are measuring 4.8VDC at the MPU test points, so I don't know why this person told you that you have a power supply issue. It looks like you are getting satisfactory power, so now we need to find out why your game is not booting.

What are the indicator LEDs doing when you power up? (7 segment display on System 11, or the three status LEDs if System 11A)

untitled_(resized).JPGuntitled_(resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

The guy that I bought it off of said he had it checked out and it was a power issue. But im sure he could b wrong. It has the system 11a board. 3 leds. The only one lit is the 5v indicator

#9 7 years ago

You're getting power. First a question, is there any sign at all of corrosion around the battery terminals or components in that area? If you don't know what you are looking for post a photo.

The next steps would be found in this section of the repair docs:

"3f. When thing don't work: Fixing a Dead CPU"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#dead

#10 7 years ago

Here is some pics of my mpu board. I don't c any burn marks or corrosion. One thing I noticed is the sound rom chip(u21) has a prong that is not seated. Is there anything that I'm overlooking ?

#11 7 years ago

Oy veh. Yeah, somebody has been tinkering there. Also noticed a connector a bit melted like someone bumped it with a soldering iron, and U22 looks like it has a pin problem as well. I would extract those two and try to boot the board without the U21 and U22 ROMs first, at least to see if I could get some flashes on the diagnostics LED. At minimum those pins need to be straightened, and who knows if the sound ROMs are any good or not. Battery area looks o.k. but there could be corrosion around some of the PIAs, hard to see but I pointed them out on the pics.

b088ecafa03175df8d0acdecb9fd025302d59438_(resized).JPGb088ecafa03175df8d0acdecb9fd025302d59438_(resized).JPG

472c78a6f47f56ebc278d7481d29970c4fa535a5_(resized).jpeg472c78a6f47f56ebc278d7481d29970c4fa535a5_(resized).jpeg

#12 7 years ago

So I removed the sound rom chips. Both of them were damaged. Both having broken pins. Somebody jammed wire into the sockets to make contact with the broken pins. I was wondering if the game roms were installed correctly? U26 and u27 are installed oposite to the sound roms? I tried powering up with only ij17 connected. Still nothing game won't boot. No diagnostics. I even tried flipping the game rom chips. Still nothing ?

#13 7 years ago

For ICs never go by the label that is on them (in the case of ROM chips), you install them based on where pin number one is - in the case of this board it is marked with a white dot. The DIP ICs have a semi-circular cut out in the end pin 1 (and the last pin 16, 32, depending on the number of pins) is on or they have a dot indented into the case near pin one - you must match this up to the markings on the board . In your picture in post #10 the sound ROMs are installed backwards but the game ROMs are inserted correctly. I don't have any personal experience with these exact ICs being installed backwards but there is certainly a chance that the sound ROMs are now shot - if you did indeed install the game ROMs backwards and turn on the game you may have destroyed them (if they were good to begin with) now as well.

#14 7 years ago

Damn it. Knew I should have waited for the reply. Thanx

#15 7 years ago

Have you tried the test below from this link: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#dead

System 11a, 11b, 11c Diagnostic Flashes.
These games do not have a 7 segment display. Instead there is a LED which indicates the memory chip test being preformed. To start the memory chip test, turn the game on or press the bottom CPU diagnostic switch button SW2 on the left side of the CPU board. Quickly count the CPU board LED flashes of the middle (diagnostic) LED, and compare them to the follow chart.

Flash Display Message Explanation
1 U25 RAM Failure U25 RAM could not be used. No other tests are performed; the game is locked here until the problem is fixed.
2 Memory Protect Failure This message means: (A) the coin door may be shut; (B) the Memory Protect switch may be stuck in the ON position; (C) the Memory Protect logic is protecting the audit memory; (D) a U25 RAM failure is occurring. Note this test assumes the coin door is OPEN since this test is initiated ONLY by pressing the CPU diagnostic switch (SW2).
3 U51 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U51 has failed. *
4 U38 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U38 has failed. *
5 U41 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U41 has failed. *
6 U42 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U42 has failed. *
7 U54 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U54 has failed. *
8 U10 PIA Failure 6821 PIA at U10 has failed. *
9 IRQ Failure IRQ has malfunctioned. It may be missing or too slow or too fast.
10 U27 ROM Failure The ROM (or EPROM) at U27 did not pass its internal checksum. This could be a ROM failure, or its associated components and connections may be causing this problem. U26 ROM test is skipped.
11 U26 ROM Failure The ROM (or EPROM) at U26 did not pass its internal checksum.
* Alternatively, the PIA's associated connections or components are causing the PIA to appear bad.

#16 7 years ago

He wasn't getting any flashes, bobukat. Just the 5V indicator LED.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

He wasn't getting any flashes, bobukat. Just the 5V indicator LED.

I didn't see where he specifically said he tried pressing the CPU diag switch, that's why I asked.

BTW - is it just me or have there been a LOT of HS problem posts lately?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I didn't see where he specifically said he tried pressing the CPU diag switch, that's why I asked.
BTW - is it just me or have there been a LOT of HS problem posts lately?

Ah, I see what you are saying. It's supposed to run diags on boot or with the diag switch. I get the impression this is a dodgy board with a lot of problems.

#19 7 years ago

Yes have tried the sw2 button. Nothing. I have ordered new sound and game roms as I broke a pin one of the game roms... Damn it!

1 week later
#20 7 years ago

UPDATE. I received and installed the new game and sound roms. Still not booting. I check the 5 volt reading at the PIA's. Every chip test good but chipu54 at pin 20 is only reading 3.5 volts dc. There is corrosion on the pin and the one next to it. Could this b the cause of my game not booting? Should I replace the chip?

#21 7 years ago

Bump

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-bring-my-high-speed-back-to-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.