6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yoshootme
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Comet ticket adjusted contrast.jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I spoke with Barry last night about his situation and the incredible success this fundraiser turned out to be. We also did a little interview, which you can read on www.pinball-magazine.com. As mentioned above: reaching the goal is great, but please keep the donations coming.

#52 5 years ago

The response to this fundraiser has been incredibly inspirational. Barry very quietly put together a wonderful pinball resume and I think this is some long over due recognition in the most heart warming of ways!

Thanks to all who donated and spread the word.

-Brendan

#53 5 years ago

Come on you cheap bastards that are on the fence on this matter...kick in a few bucks.

Later today, when you go home from work:
    Play your Comet, Jokerz, Cyclone, Grand Lizard, Gorgar, Jungle Lord, Solar Fire, Cosmic Gunfight, Pinbot, Space Shuttle, Space Station, Fire, Bad Cats, Doctor Who, BS Dracula, Jackbot, or even Dirty Harry...think of how lucky you are to own a fun Williams pin,
    and how it would suck to not own it,
    and suck even worse to be faced with a serious illness,
    and really really blow to be hurting for cash - on top of all that.
    and ultimately, slap you right in the damn face if you're spouse was facing serious health issues as well.

Puts things in perspective fast--

Have a nice day-

#54 5 years ago

I am very happy that the goal of 20000 bucks was reached in such a short period of time.

But regarding gofundme i have some questions.

What is the meaning of the "goal" ? At kickstarter, the supporters fet their money back if the goal is not reached within a defined time period.
    But as gofundme does take 5% of the money for themselves as its paid, i am a little bit confused about the meaning of the goal.
    And how long can we support barry ? A week, a month?

#55 5 years ago

Support is not a fair word, as nobody asked to flip the cost of all his bills. I prefer to think of it as help.
    I think 40 K is not unreasonable in the end...as his future could produce larger, unknown costs. And, how much can he work while helping his wife survive also?
    I just felt for the guy - because my insurance just went to 80/20 after having 100% coverage my whole life.

We're not supporting 100% - we're just helping.
    His costs will be unknown in the end, but it all helps.

Least I could do was my thinking...made a small donation after the goal was reached.

#56 5 years ago

Maybe we haver a different point of view regarding the meaning of "support" and "help".
    What does count ist that we do something to help someone we "know" making his hard life a litlle bit easier.

#57 5 years ago

I think Barry deserves all of our help. We are all very lucky to have games like Pinbot, Dracula, Dr. Who, Cyclone in our homes. And lucky to have playfield features like Myst multi ball, a Ferris Wheel, backbox animations, Pinbot Visor, Time Expander, the first million point shot, head to head pinball. Wow, groundbreaking stuff.

I've donated, and I may donate again, just thinking of how lucky we are to have his games in our homes.

#58 5 years ago

We are organizing a fund-raising get together of Pinsiders from our area at our place for February 22nd. Details to be announced. Please keep that evening free if you think you'll be able to attend.

#59 5 years ago

Just sent some love!

#60 5 years ago

I believe the benefit of Gofundme is that the recipient does not have to reach the goal in order to get their donations. I think setting the goal is just to sort of place a benchmark on the campaign and to communicate the "scope" of how much a person is hoping for.

#61 5 years ago

Also, Gofundme provides the fund drive with organization, visibility and (to some extent) credibility. I'd love it if they didn't take a percentage for themselves, but that's the tradeoff. I know from my experience last year that collecting, processing and acknowledging a couple hundred donations takes a surprising amount of time and energy.

#63 5 years ago

We are announcing A Barry Oursler Fundraiser at the Pinball Asylum to help this family in need.

If you wish to help us. We are looking to get people to bring their Barry Oursler designed games to the Asylum for others to play for an open house and tournament events.

Plus, we need to get sponsors and/ or prizes of any kind that can be used for raffles, giveaways or to be used for tournament prizes. We appreciate anything to help raise donations.

The Pinball Asylum is located in Fort Myers, Florida.

You can email me direct at russelrunt@comcast.net

More details can be found under the A Barry Oursler Fundraiser at the Pinball Asylum post in the forum here and now it is listed on the Events page as well.

If you need more information or have questions, feel free to contact me.

Dan

#64 5 years ago

So sad to read about Barry & his Wife.
    Hoping everyone Prays for Barry & his Wife and donate whatever they can.

Post edited by PinHill : wording

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from master_of_chaos:

Maybe we haver a different point of view regarding the meaning of "support" and "help".
    What does count ist that we do something to help someone we "know" making his hard life a litlle bit easier.

Could not agree more...well said.

#66 5 years ago

Donation made via PGJ.

Barry is one of my favorite pinball designers. Thanks for all the great games you have designed and been involved with over the years. I can't tell you how much enjoyment I've had from playing them! Best of luck to you and your wife.

And on that note I'm going to start restoring my Time Fantasy this weekend - another Oursler classic!

#67 5 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful contributions in pinball through the years Barry. Pinbot was one of my favorites growing up. Dracula is also a favorite of mine. Donation sent. Hope you and your wife can get better soon.

#68 5 years ago

Barry,

All the best you and Donna. Donation sent.

Brian Carscadden

#69 5 years ago

I have been meaning for some time to host a gathering of area pinheads at our house in Durham, North Carolina. The appeal on behalf of Barry Oursler (http://www.gofundme.com/6fgkt0) gave me the idea of using that occasion as a fund raiser for Barry, even as we play his Cyclone (one of ten pins here). This isn't a formal tournament but rather a chance to get to know fellow pinball enthusiasts and play pins for a few hours. (Friendly competition is welcome, of course, but I do ask you to treat the pins with respect.) I propose that everyone attending donate $20 or more at the door, all of which will be passed on a.s.a.p. to the Barry Oursler fund.

We are scheduling the event for 7:00-10:30--come and go as you like--on the evening of Saturday, February 22nd. Non-playing spouses (etc.) are welcome to come and hang out with my non-playing spouse! I will send more specifics, including directions and advice about parking, to all who indicate an interest.

I will need confirmation from those planning to attend, including an email address so that I can contact you if we are forced to change plans due to bad weather (etc.).

Hopefully, we can have an enjoyable evening together and, in the process, raise some money for one of the great figures in our hobby.

My current pins:

Volley
    High Speed
    Cyclone
    White Water
    Tales of the Arabian Nights
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Star Trek LE (Stern - should be arriving next week)
    Indiana Jones (Williams)
    Lord of the Rings
    Wizard of Oz

#71 5 years ago

Barry has brought so much joy to so many people and that's pretty cool. Nice to see all the people here acknowledging his contributions to the hobby.

#72 5 years ago

Sad news . I've played many of Mr. Oursler's games, and have enjoyed most every one! It is heart warming to see the pinball community come together for a great cause!!! Donated!

#73 5 years ago

Here is a tournament for those looking for a place to contribute.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/1401122533477832

you may have to post the whole link in your browswer, to get to the site information.

#74 5 years ago

Dallas/Fort Worth will be hosting an event for Barry on March 1, 2014.

I'm still working out the details of the location.

So more details to come later.

Marcus

#76 5 years ago

Dallas Fort Worth Texas Barry Oursler Event

Date: March 1, 2014
    Time: 12pm - 10pm

FB Event Page
    https://www.facebook.com/events/696220220428564/

#77 5 years ago

Didn't see this till now but donated.

#78 5 years ago

I just finished getting a "one of everything" type box ready as a prize package for the Pinball Asylum tournament, so there will be lots of goodies to go around for all the attendees. I just wish I could support more of them, as they are all working together to help out toward a common good.

All of these tournaments sound like some great events forming up, so please attend any of them you are able to. Play some pinball, meet with some friends, have fun, and celebrate Barry all while helping out a good cause.

-Hans

Edit: Is there a way to get this sticky thread moved to the main page? Right now it's only visible if you're in the "all pinball" sub-section of the forum.

1 week later
    #79 5 years ago

found this online....Close-up of the image of the Hubble Space Telescope on the Playing Field.
    The game was built in 1984, and it is remarkable to me that
    the designers (Barry Oursler and Mark Sprenger) had the foresight to feature
    "The most important scientific instrument every created"
    on the playing field 6 years before HST was launched!
    space shuttle

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 179.99
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    £ 99.00
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 339.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 12.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside